As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WAR] - Melee DPS: Schrödinger's Slayers and Choppas

• CryogenCryogen Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Ha, i tried a WL a while ago and sometimes the lion had stripes on it, i thought it was just a graphical glitch.

Cryogen on
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited October 2008
    I just looked at witch elf masteries.

Jesus H, so much juicy stuff to choose from!

Echo on
  • OatsOats Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Echo wrote: »

I know, eh?

I have entirely too much fun with seven seconds of magic immunity.

Oats on
  • KajustaKajusta Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    So, it's different every time you summon your lion?

Yeah, they didn't implement that 'create your own lion' dealy yet, if they are ever going to even get around to it.

Kajusta on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    XBL
  • vonPoonBurGervonPoonBurGer Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Echo wrote: »

The low to mid-level Suffering tree seems too good. Kiss of Doom is a flat-out ridiculous boost to DPS, since it increases Kiss proc rates to 50%, and the heal debuff is big for RvR. I'm toying with two build ideas right now:

There's the "I don't care which direction you're facing" build. Build up 5 bloodlust charges laying out debuffs, then run around with a 25% crit rate plus whatever you can get on gear spamming a beefy Slice. Simple, reliable, I'm guessing it'd be effective, but maybe not too exciting. You'd run Kiss of Agony for the extra damage and the Initiative debuff (to keep their Initiative from debuffing your crit rate too much), then switch to Kiss of Betrayal when you run low on AP.

And then there's the "lol I steal all ur AP from behind" build. This one really turns my crank. Opponents without AP are pylons, so being able to totally lock someone out via AP drain seems like it could drive people nuts. Not sure if this build will have enough killy damage, or if you'd need Swift Movements for more Feinted Positioning action. A 25% chance to zap 40 AP from the sides or behind, plus a 50% chance to drain 10 AP from any facing on any attack... that's a lotta AP you can remove from your opponent.

vonPoonBurGer on
    Xbox Live:vonPoon | PSN: vonPoon | Steam: vonPoonBurGer
  • KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    So,thanks to two tactics I now get +150 strength when in Brutality mode.
    I can raise that to 225 for 20 seconds with one of my abilities.

It's so amazing,I do a shit ton of damage with impale and I'm just raping wizards and healers left and right.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • AlexanderAlexander Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    You're no bad ass witch elf like my pretty alixa though are you Clicky? no, no you are not, I look good when I stab!

Alexander on
    edited October 2008
    Yeah, I decided: witch elf for my alt.

Echo on
    edited October 2008
    Alexander wrote: »
    You're no bad ass witch elf like my pretty alixa though are you Clicky? no, no you are not, I look good when I stab!

I stab with my arm. My arm that is a sword. A sword with teeth and a big grin.
    I also run around without a top and in little man tights.

You can't touch me boy.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
    edited October 2008
    Echo - good choice, also I looted a blue sword for your DoK.

Clicky - I GOT THE TOUCH DO DO DOOOO, I GOT THE POWER!!!!!!!!!!! YEAH!

I'm going to get level 20 today I have decided.

Alexander on
    edited October 2008
    Yeah,get to 20,it's awesome to have two tactic slots.

But before you level up, you need to ask yourself a very important question:

Do you, or do you not, know about the bird?

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
    edited October 2008
    A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird
    B-b-b-bird, bird, bird, b-bird's the word
    A-well-a bird, bird, bird, the bird is the word
    A-well-a bird, bird, bird, well the bird is the word
    A-well-a bird, bird, bird, b-bird's the word
    A-well-a bird, bird, b-bird's the word
    A-well-a don't you know about the bird?
    Well, everybody knows that the bird is the word!
    A-well-a...

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird
    Bird, bird, bird, b-bird's the word
    A-well-a don't you know about the bird?
    Well, everybody's talking about the bird!
    A-well-a bird...

Pa-pa-pa-pa-pa-pa-pa-pa-pa-pa-pa-pa-pa-pa-pa-pa-
    Pa-pa-pa-pa-pa-pa-pa-pa-pa-pa-pa-pa-pa-pa-ooma-mow-mow
    Papa-ooma-mow-mow

Papa-ooma-mow-mow, papa-ooma-mow-mow
    Ooma-mow-mow, papa-ooma-mow-mow
    Oom-oom-oom-oom-ooma-mow-mow
    Papa-ooma-mow-mow, papa-oom-oom-oom
    Oom-ooma-mow-mow, papa-ooma-mow-mow
    Papa-a-mow-mow, papa-ooma-mow-mow
    Papa-ooma-mow-mow, ooma-mow-mow
    Papa-oom-oom-oom-oom-ooma-mow-mow
    Oom-oom-oom-oom-ooma-mow-mow
    Well don't you know about the bird?
    Well, everybody knows that the bird is the word!

Alexander on
  • SWATJesterSWATJester Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    SWATJester wrote: »
    That's not how detaunt works. Detaunt reduces damage taken by 50%. It does not negate 50% of damage. Those are two different things.

For instance, a mob does 100 damage to you. Guard negates 50%, so it's doing 50 damage to you. Detaunt reduces that by 50%, meaning it does 25 damage to you.

I haven't figured out if guard works that way, but Detaunt is definitely a reduction of whatever damage number is being presented to you, not a straight negation of 50% of the total maximum possible damage. That would just be silly; and regardless it wouldn't give you a "1 damage result", it would give you a "0 damage" result.
    What are you basing this on? I'm basing my statements on my observations from actual gameplay, not theoryhammer math. In several instances, I was on the bridge in Nordenwatch, my Blorc friend has Guard on me, I AoE detaunt, all of a sudden I start seeing a lot of red 1s in scrolling combat text. From that, I infer that Guard reduces damage by 50%, and the detaunt's 50% reduction is added on top of Guard's for 100% total damage reduction, but there's a minimum of 1 damage. Silly or not, it's the explanation that fits what I actually saw. So I must be wrong because additive rather than multiplicative scaling of damage reduction effects is, in your estimation, "silly"? Yeah, I stand by my original statement.

I tested it by modifying the damage numbers coming into me by detaunts and debuffing the opponent. I stand by my testing, you're welcome to stand by yours, but your version not only makes no sense, but the math doesn't work (i.e. 1 damage, instead of 0 damage. There's clearly mechanisms in the game to allow you to take 0 damage from something, so a bonus 1 comes out of nowhere?)

-e- whoever posted above that a 50% debuff to healing done and a 50% debuff to healing received results in a 75% total debuff to self heals, would seem to be confirming my theory.

SWATJester on
    Moderator, PAX Prime 08, 09, 10, 10-East, panels on "Legal Issues in Gaming"
    Contributing Editor, http://www.gamepolitics.com
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Just Some DudeJust Some Dude Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Actually, the 50% + 50% = 75% reduced healing is because they're two *different* types of healing debuff. One of them reduces healing done TO the target (Punish the False) and one of them reduces healing done BY the target (Blessed Bullets of Confession). As I recall there's actually a third type of pseudo-healing debuff as well, Marauders have Tainted Claw, which gives the target a 25% chance to resist heals.

It's important to look at the type of buff or debuff, because unlike WoW, WAR has many different effects that provide similar results.

Just Some Dude on
    Cog in the machine Cog Herder
  • AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    What is the command to name your lion? Can you name your Squig?

Accualt on
  • tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    i thought it was /petname tyrannus

tyrannus on
  • ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    just /pet

I named mine Snuggles. Until I saw a million other WL's with a cat called snuggles

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2008
    tyrannus wrote: »
    i thought it was /petname tyrannus

its just /pet MorkathIsDaCoolest

Morkath on
  • tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    /pet fatty

tyrannus on
  • vonPoonBurGervonPoonBurGer Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    SWATJester wrote: »
    I tested it by modifying the damage numbers coming into me by detaunts and debuffing the opponent. I stand by my testing, you're welcome to stand by yours, but your version not only makes no sense, but the math doesn't work (i.e. 1 damage, instead of 0 damage. There's clearly mechanisms in the game to allow you to take 0 damage from something, so a bonus 1 comes out of nowhere?)

-e- whoever posted above that a 50% debuff to healing done and a 50% debuff to healing received results in a 75% total debuff to self heals, would seem to be confirming my theory.
    Debuffs to healing output and debuffs to healing received are different mechanics, so they don't stack additively. Same story with debuffs to damage output and debuffs to damage taken. Two effects of the same type do stack additively, not multiplicatively. Some are saying that Guard + Detaunt stacking for 100%-1 mitigation is a bug that's been fixed. The AoE and single-target detaunts healers get can apparently still be stacked to reduce all attacks from one attacker to 1 damage, i.e. 100% mitigation with a floor of 1. Again, this is because they are two damage reductions of the same type ("reduce damage taken by X%").

vonPoonBurGer on
    Xbox Live:vonPoon | PSN: vonPoon | Steam: vonPoonBurGer
  • BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I'm really loving my WL. After playing squishy classes it feels good to be able to wade into a group of enemies and not die instantly. Despite all the complaints I've heard, the lion does quite a bit for me. It does nearly as much damage as me (I'd say around 75%), can tank a champion, and can harass healers/RDPS in scenarios while I cap a point. Of course, this is all at low levels (just hit T2) but so far so good.

BionicPenguin on
  • BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I found mid t2 to be a bit of a drag as a wl, but level 21? Oh god, it just took right off, and level 23/24 was another boost from hell. Pounce and Pack Hunting rule. Try them, the first is buggy and awesome and the second is just plain fantastic. I'm talking blenders on sticks, out board motors. It's brutal.

I get so many solo kills off squishies, I could say it's not funny, but I'd be lying.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Zzulu wrote: »
    just /pet

I named mine Snuggles. Until I saw a million other WL's with a cat called snuggles

I named mine Spot. /shrug
    I'm really loving my WL. After playing squishy classes it feels good to be able to wade into a group of enemies and not die instantly. Despite all the complaints I've heard, the lion does quite a bit for me. It does nearly as much damage as me (I'd say around 75%), can tank a champion, and can harass healers/RDPS in scenarios while I cap a point. Of course, this is all at low levels (just hit T2) but so far so good.

Yea, I've been impressed, even though I'm still in tier 1. The lion's random disappearing act, and lack of "DO WHAT I TELL YOU" attitude is a bit annoying.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Hey, does the white lion ever get a Hex? In fact, what constitutes a hex anyway?

If they don't get hexes, are there any icons I should be looking for on my enemies that constitutes a hex? Or what classes are likely to use them?

I am, of course, asking because I just got Lions Fury, and would rather not go around spamming it till it works.

Edit: Actually, I guess it says cursed, not hexed. I could have sworn it used to say hexed. Anyway, still wondering what constitutes being cursed.

Foolish Chaos on
    edited October 2008
    White Lion Curses:

Blindside (Core, Dot)

Shattering Blow (Core, Dot)

Cleave Limb (Core, Attack Speed Debuff)

Echoing Roar (Mastery, AOE Dot)

Thin The Herd (Mastery, Healing Debuff)

Ability List:
    http://www.wardb.com/search.aspx?browse=6.1.19#spells:0+4+10

Mastery Builder:
    http://www.wardb.com/career.aspx?id=19

Renown Builder:
    http://www.wardb.com/renown.aspx?id=19

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • KajustaKajusta Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    just /pet

Yea, I've been impressed, even though I'm still in tier 1. The lion's random disappearing act, and lack of "DO WHAT I TELL YOU" attitude is a bit annoying.

set your pet to passive and it won't be running off, doing whatever it wants to do.

Kajusta on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    XBL
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Kajusta wrote: »
    just /pet

set your pet to passive and it won't be running off, doing whatever it wants to do.

The issue for me more is when I send the pet after someone, but I want him to come back. Or when I run around and the pet disappears into a black hole..

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Basil wrote: »
    Stuff

Oh, I wasn't aware that blindside and friends counted as curses. It says Ailment, and I figured thats what the ability would ask for if it wanted it, like an ability my SW has.

Foolish Chaos on
    edited October 2008
    Basil wrote: »
    Stuff

Oh, I wasn't aware that blindside and friends counted as curses. It says Ailment, and I figured thats what the ability would ask for if it wanted it, like an ability my SW has.

It caught me by surprise too! "What the hell is this for?"

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Kajusta wrote: »
    just /pet
    The issue for me more is when I send the pet after someone, but I want him to come back. Or when I run around and the pet disappears into a black hole..
    Click on Passive twice to recall. If it glitch-disappears sending it at a target usually fixes it (though I've not had it happen since the patch last night).

My remaining problem is the lion's AI- if set to Defensive and sent against someone it'll turn around and come running back if you attack your own target before it reaches them. Also, regardless of aggression setting, if the lion is sent at someone and you kill your own target before it reaches its it'll reset the AI and it'll come running back. Rather annoying when trying to be all multitasky and killing wolves by the hundreds to get bestial tokens for trophies that don't display.
    Not that I'm bitter or anything.

Glal on
    edited October 2008
    all my trophies display perfectly

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
    edited October 2008
    If I was a white lion, I would name my lion Bagpuss.

Alas I am but a witch elf with no pet except my cube when i /special

Alexander on
  • NisiNisi Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I've stopped playing my White Lion due to the bugginess and general suckiness in T3 :/
    I really love the class but just can't seem to wade through T3 with it in its current state. The pet bugs and the freezing when I change stances are very annoying in pvp.

Nisi on
    edited October 2008
    Got a female White Lion or Warrior Priest with belt trophies?

Glal on
    edited October 2008
    Glal wrote: »
    Got a female White Lion or Warrior Priest with belt trophies?

I never bought the belt trophies

just shoulder one

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
    edited October 2008
    Tip: don't change that habit. :(

Glal on
  • AngryAngry The glory I had witnessed was just a sleight of handRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    if you are having trouble displaying belt trophies, go find some belts, put them on until you get a belt that can display whatever trophies you have. position them with that belt on and when you're happy change to the belt you actually intend on using.

the trophies should display in their position, even if they have the red x in the corner of their icon.

Angry on
    edited October 2008
    I Googled a bunch of posts to the theme of "I tried dozens of belts and still can't find one that displays them even in T3" and it makes me weary of spending money buying belts on the AH. Or rather, more belts, as I already tried it a few times. :(

Glal on
  • AngryAngry The glory I had witnessed was just a sleight of handRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    i get lots of shit belts as quest rewards, so i dunno.

Angry on
    edited October 2008
    So, witch elves and Vehement Blades. How does it really work?

"Your target will take 50 damage [at rank 11] for each melee attack over the next 15 seconds."

But I don't really see that happening in the combat log more than once or twice. Is it just autoattacks?

Echo on