As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

FIFA 09: BE A PRO

InzignaInzigna Registered User regular
edited October 2008 in Games and Technology
I did a search but didn't find a thread, if there's already one, please lock this.

As some of us would know NHL 09 has a mode where you and friends can form a club and play against other clubs, each having an individual player. For soccer fans, the same now applies for FIFA 09, with up to 10 vs 10 games, to quote IGN:

EA Sports today revealed a new online mode called FIFA 09 Clubs, designed for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360, that enables gamers to form or join user-controlled 'clubs' anywhere in the world. Through FIFA 09 Clubs, gamers can form or join clubs of up to 50 friends and field their strongest team when competing in Be A Pro: 10 v 10 Online Team Play, a feature that enables 20 people on 20 different consoles anywhere in the world to connect online to play a single match of FIFA Soccer 09.

FIFA 09 Clubs will determine the best virtual team in the world. Clubs are ranked based on total points and placed in a division. Clubs are relegated and promoted to different divisions based on their performance during the season. In addition, FIFA 09 Clubs will enable Club Managers to scout rival players to identify a player that fits his or her squad, and then recruit them to join their club. Up to 10 players on a Club can participate in a single game and Clubs are able to play multiple games simultaneously if they wish.

Anyone else excited about this?

camo_sig2.png
Inzigna on

• Options
    bombboybombboy Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    First I heard of that. I saw mention of "10 vs 10" play on the advertisement section in the demo but to see it fleshed out so far is pretty cool.

bombboy on
    XBL - BombBoyGT | PSN - BombBoyGT | Steam - BombBoy | BF4
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    There is not enough excitement for this.

The whole world can't be playing the ice hokkiez right?

Inzigna on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    EdgieEdgie TampaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I've always thought the lag was rather awful just playing against one player. I can't fathom 20 people in the same game.

Edgie on
  • Options
    liquidloganliquidlogan Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I didn't know you could form your own club this year. I propose the immediate forming of a club known as the Penny-Arcade United/FC. I'd be up for joining the 360 side as an attacking minded midfielder/second striker (as it would be in Pro Evo).

liquidlogan on
  • Options
    ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Eh...still not enough to pull me away from Pro Evolution.

It is a neat feature, I will say that.

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • Options
    BlitzAce1981BlitzAce1981 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    The only problem I have with this so far is that, knowing that everyone's stats will be uniform based on posistion (i.e. all wingers will have the same stats, so it's up to the player to use them better), will it be possible to customize the appearance of the player? So far, I haven't heard anything that suggests either way... which is why I'm leaning towards NHL at the mo. FIFA has until the 26th to convince me otherwise.

BlitzAce1981 on
    PSN ID - BlitzAce1981 FFXIV - Raiden Solitaire (Sargatanas)
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Don't get me wrong. I'm still a ProEvo guy at heart. But with last year's god awful online, I'm really worried.

Also, I'm a huge Italian soccer fanboy, so the prospect of playing with Serie B teams in FIFA is too tempting. And, although I know you can do team editing, the idea of roster updates in FIFA as well as the live league updates in terms of player fitness, is convincing me to give FIFA a shot.

Realistically, I'll probably just pick up both.

liquidlogan on
  • Options
    citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Regardless of how it works out, more co-op play online is what the world needs to heal. <3

citizen059 on
  • Options
    krylon666krylon666 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    this sounds awesome. i kinda slept on getting any of the 08 games, so i was stoked to see that the 09's were right around the corner. i'm also a pro evo guy, but the controls/pace in FIFA 08 seemed much better than the arcadeyness of its predecessors. and from what i read the last pro evo was "more of the same". what is pro evo offering up in this iteration?

krylon666 on
  • Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    PAFC

No Great Name on
    PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Oh gosh.

I just got the demo to NHL and was insanely impressed with Be a Pro mode. I have however been waiting two years to get a next-gen ProEvo soccer game. Then again, Fifa gets better every year with Evo staying most the same (not really that bad of a thing). Hm. hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

I am so torn.

Man, I remember the days of being able to Mock EA anytime they released a sports game/game. Now I find myself wanting more and more EA games. STOP MAKING MY LIFE HARD WITH YOUR GOOD GAMES EA.

projectmayhem on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    One thing I'll mention towards the Pro Evo guys - there are three control settings in the PS3 demo; Classic, with Long Pass on [] and Shoot on O; Alternative (or wording to that effect), with Long Pass on O and Shoot on [], i.e. Pro Evo style; and Custom, if you ever feel the need to make every button Shoot or something...

BlitzAce1981 on
  • Options
    ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Gabriel's Old Boys

If you pick that name I will buy FIFA 09. Maybe. If I have spare cash. And get tired of all the other games I have now.

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I'll be buying Fifa on PS3 and Pro Evo on the wii.

No Great Name on
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    One thing I'll mention towards the Pro Evo guys - there are three control settings in the PS3 demo; Classic, with Long Pass on [] and Shoot on O; Alternative (or wording to that effect), with Long Pass on O and Shoot on [], i.e. Pro Evo style; and Custom, if you ever feel the need to make every button Shoot or something...

That is true. But, quite honestly, it doesn't change much to make it feel like Pro Evo.

Wait.. why?

liquidlogan on
  • Options
    edited September 2008

Wait.. why?
    Because the last iteration was best on wii? Are you dense?

No Great Name on
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    edited September 2008

Wait.. why?
    Because the last iteration was best on wii? Are you dense?

Relax. I wanted to know what was going to be different with the 2009 version on Wii compared to the others. Don't get so defensive, god damn.

liquidlogan on
  • Options
    edited September 2008

That is true. But, quite honestly, it doesn't change much to make it feel like Pro Evo.

...And therein lies the exact reason why I decided to try the demo, and the exact reason why I will be getting NHL instead - it just doesn't feel right to me, even with the controls mapped like Pro Evo.

BlitzAce1981 on
  • Options
    fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    PAFC

:^:

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    So suffice to say, we're all getting this?

Pro Evo's been disappointing, it has been so good to me, and now they seem to have stopped improving altogether. FIFA on the other hand, there's been pretty real attempts to improve.

Inzigna on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    NedoNedo Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I´m so in this team. But dont think the Mode will take of at all, takes great coordination to play a proper footy match instead of "all run towards the ball"

Nedo on
    nedowan.jpg
  • Options
    Sunday_AssassinSunday_Assassin Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I played a lot of the be a pro stuff in 08, where the only bad thing was that it was limited to five human players a side, so one or two had to choose to play as all the leftovers or the whole thing just became a complete clusterfuck. Full teams should be awesome.

Actually, that wasn't the only bad thing. Since most people were using that weird over the shoulder camera, people couldn't defend or play laterally, and just ran straight forward doing tricks every time they got the ball.

I found it far more fun to sit at DM and tackle folks.

Sunday_Assassin on
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I wonder how bad the lag will be? This does sound pretty cool.. probably wouldn't end up getting it for a good while, though :(

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Nedo wrote: »
    I´m so in this team. But dont think the Mode will take of at all, takes great coordination to play a proper footy match instead of "all run towards the ball"
    It'd be no different from an online shooter where nobody wants to be the support troops. Some will just run to the ball and their teams will suffer for it, other players will have actual discipline and their teams will prosper. Tough to defend a breakaway from a guy downfield if all your defenders suddenly decide they're Steven Gerrard.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    By the way, EB Games Canada has brought in the promo that was in effect for Madden, Tiger and NHL 09. Trade in two games over $8 in value (with original case, manual, instructions and in decent shape) and get FIFA (or NBA as well, actually) for $9.99. Its how I'm rationalizing buying both this and Pro Evo.

(Also: Pro Evolution 2009 is going to be $49.99 CDN)

liquidlogan on
  • Options
    S-StarwindS-Starwind Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I'll be picking fifa up this year. PS3 or 360 though is another question. I assume there will be a team setup for both? Is anyone taking names yet?

S-Starwind on
    XBLive GamerTag - II The Starwind (Playing - Halo 4, Dungeon Defeners)
    PSN ID - S-Starwind (Playing Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition, Gundam Battle Ops)
    Final Fantasy XIV - Masamune Server (Moving to Sargantanas) - Rykosho Hoshikaze
    Steam ID - The Starwind
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    darleysam wrote: »
    I wonder how bad the lag will be? This does sound pretty cool.. probably wouldn't end up getting it for a good while, though :(

Wont be a problem for us, with like 90% of the playerbase being in Europe. :D HOORAY!

But karma is a bitch though, because I'm fucking loving NHL 09 and all my Canadian friends laugh at my pitiful connection speeds. They laugh in my face.

I feel like I'm letting down an entire nation.

Though to exact revenge all I have to do is keep saying how Ice Hockey is inferior to real hockey and that gets them all up in a rage haha.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I live in Singapore.

Far away from you folks, and near to people who believe that running to the ball is the answer to everything.

Do I still get this game? Will you boys reject me for my lag?

Will Penny Arcade... Hate me?

Inzigna on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I'm going to be picking up the 360 version of FIFA 09. If I didn't have three major essays due within a couple of weeks of the release, I'd be more than happy to take names for a team.

I don't know how it worked in NHL 09 teams. Did you have to pick a real life player or were you supposed to start out with a scrub you created? If real life player, I'm rolling with Alex Del Piero.

liquidlogan on
  • Options
    S-StarwindS-Starwind Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    So it's released today. I'm picking mine up tomorrow. Still not sure if I'm getting the PS3 or 360 version yet. Are we setting up any team(s)?

S-Starwind on
    XBLive GamerTag - II The Starwind (Playing - Halo 4, Dungeon Defeners)
    PSN ID - S-Starwind (Playing Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition, Gundam Battle Ops)
    Final Fantasy XIV - Masamune Server (Moving to Sargantanas) - Rykosho Hoshikaze
    Steam ID - The Starwind
  • Options
    NedoNedo Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    get the xbox 360 version

anyone wanting to play me?

Nedo on
    nedowan.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Someone go create a team. I haven't picked up my copy yet, will be on the 360.

Inzigna on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    SkajmeSkajme Manchester, UKRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    just a heads up for anyone getting this.
    Tesco is selling it for 30quid!

Skajme on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Its still not out in North America but I have it full paid right now on pre-order. Just waiting for it to be released. I'm getting the 360 version though and I'd be up for some as soon as I get a chance.

liquidlogan on