Options

Planetside's Successor being Developed in CHINA! -- Welkin 4591

2»

• Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I loved Planetside D: So so much. Sure the graphics were outdated before it even launched and the game is just full of flaws but it's still the most fun MMO I've ever played. I still remember my carpet bombing runs with my friends over ventrilo :lol:

If you chinese guys can make this into a real international project, I'd be all over it. You need to find one of those big nasty american publishers so they can vomit money over you

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    AbraxenAbraxen Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Iriah wrote: »
    an MMOFPS with Tribes skiing would be wicked, man

those maps look about the right size for it, too

edit: In any case, the pace looks really slow. Those dudes look like they're underwater, which is never fun to play.

Something to keep in mind. I was in "rexo". From actually playing I don't find the pace that much slower than rexo in PS. Also, there is a sprint button. I forgot about that since I haven't played Welkin since July.

What I'd like to stress is that this is just a teaser video. It was only based off about 15 minutes of game play, which then took me about 2 hours to produce into a video. At about 4 minutes, I think the video shows a decent amount of what happened in 15 minutes, especially since this was my first time logging in for this phase of beta. If you've played PS, think about your first 15 minutes in the game. Same idea, because what I knew from the last beta in Welkin has changed a lot.

I didn't make this video as a pro at Welkin. This was the first log in. The point was to A) be a teaser to show we've back at it and B) give a first taste impression.

We're currently discussin the next video that will hopefully show more. Going on the closed beta video, which was about 8 minutes, I can see the next video showing a lot more. That closed beta video essentially was a weapons test and only had towers as hold points. There is a lot more going on for the open beta (for example the 3rd empire), yet there are also things missing. The speculation is that even though this is an open beta (doesn't require CD Keys), it's still not a full blown "about to launch" open beta. I say this because there are things missing from the closed beta, and by that I mean vehicles. And some of those things I highly doubt they are completely taking out of the game.

If anything, this might be more of a "balance open beta" due to introducing the 3rd empire. Which btw, that 3rd empire, "blue" as we call it, actually has the ability to transform into things. So for example a rexo soldier can transform into a turret. A MAX can transform into a bike thing. A rexo can transform onto the MAX that's transformed for a bike that has a turret. And there is no certs to do this, this is just the natural abilities of that empire.

I don't mean to sound like a broken record, but don't make a judgement based on this video. As I said, the only point of it was to let people know that the open beta is out. It's MUCH easier to play this game now, and we also are compliling a fairly decent database and tutorial section.

As far as lag goes, I really didn't experience too much. There are occasional slow downs, but given that this was a base battle it wasn't anything I got frustrated over. We've also seen a HUGE improvement over closed beta in terms of lag. I believe I heard they upgraded their servers. But as anything, keep in mind that right now this is free and you can play it with only about an hour's worth of effort. We have the forums for your questions, the tutorials to walk you through, and the TS channel for live help if someone is on.

Abraxen on
  • Options
    IriahIriah Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I wasn't judging - I was just wondering how epic battles are to be conducted when everyone is so slow. If the final version of the game is awesome, I'll probably play it, never mind what I think now.

Iriah on
  • Options
    chasehatesbearschasehatesbears Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I don't know maaan.

Planetside was awesome, to be sure, but it had some pretty big flaws. I'm excited to see how this project will turn out.

chasehatesbears on
  • Options
    GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    The love is pretty universal here, I guess. I loved PS back when it launched, for reasons already outlined - the feeling of making a difference, being strategic with squads or playing lone wolf... This has me interested. Good luck with it.

GMaster7 on
    PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842
  • Options
    BamelinBamelin Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I'm curious if the game runs better than Planetside. What sort of specs are recommended (I'm guessing pretty low)

Bamelin on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Iriah wrote: »
    I wasn't judging - I was just wondering how epic battles are to be conducted when everyone is so slow. If the final version of the game is awesome, I'll probably play it, never mind what I think now.

I was simply suggesting that I'm in rexo for those videos. If you think about PS speed, I don't find that rexo in Welkin is much slower. However for PS, rexo was the slowest armor type besides MAX. Like I said, there is also a sprint button, that I wouldn't say is the same as surge, but it works.

From what I can tell most people are picking "rexo" over "agile" and "cloaker". Again, it's been 5 months since I played this last so I'm still getting my feet wet. I picked "rexo" in case during my vid I got shot at. There are other armor options available.

As I continue to state, this teaser is simply to make people aware that they can play the game and there are resources available for you to use to make that easier. When I made my closed beta video I spent at least 10 hours in game and had people on TS to help direct things. This most recent teaser video was from 15 minutes in game as a crap shoot. I think you'll notice the differnce in that I didn't get very specific.

Also part of the point was that there is more content than what was shown in closed beta. I'm not saying that you said this, but there are people who watched my older video and claimed there was a lot of work to be done. My point is that it's been done, it just wasn't available.

Abraxen on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Bamelin wrote: »
    I'm curious if the game runs better than Planetside. What sort of specs are recommended (I'm guessing pretty low)

This is hard for me to say personally. My computer is decent other than the video card, which is crap. That is pretty much my system's only downfall.

I don't notice a huge difference between PS and Welkin in terms of performance. PS can be more populated which causes me some lag, but Welkin is in China.

I will say that I've noticed a difference between closed beta and open beta. Their server speed, both on their website and in the game is MUCH improved. Closed beta was a pain to get into, other than the language factor, simply due to their website lagging. This isn't really the case right now for open beta.

Keep in mind that in it's current state I'm not claiming this is the PS replacement. What I am suggesting is that this IS the closest thing to it. When I say that I mean PS2.

The thing that people need to keep in mind is that if that haven't played a TRUE MMOFPS is that the graphics aren't going to be on par. I can say that the graphics in Welkin are improved over PS, but they aren't top notch. The thing about that though is that both PS and Welkin are expecting A LOT more players than your typical FPS. For games like PS and Welkin you have to expect that the graphics won't top a game that only supports about 64 players on a single map. PS and Welkin are aimed at supporting hundreds of people on a continent (aka map) while supprting hundreds more on another map. And another map. All of that equates to server load and computer load for the end user that other games don't have to suffer through.

Abraxen on
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I have only 2 questions

Is it free?

and

Why does everything on youtube have to have the same shitty songs that play on the radio all day long?

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Godammit, why is Planetside not free yet?

Turkey on
  • Options
    JarofmoldymayoJarofmoldymayo __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2008
    I managed to kill a guy in this.

Yeah.

Something I hardly ever did in planetside.

Jarofmoldymayo on
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Thetheroo wrote: »
    I read this as "Planescape" first.

Now I am sad.

No you are not.

Unless Chris Avellone moved to China.

Khavall on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I support any game that let's be be a transport pilot.

Khavall on
  • Options
    PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Khavall wrote: »

I agree. I can't explain it, but it's just more fun to me to work at being skilled at getting people safely into and out of battlefields than to actually fight at those battlefields. Maybe because it's a change of pace.

PolloDiablo on
  • Options
    edited November 2008

I agree. I can't explain it, but it's just more fun to me to work at being skilled at getting people safely into and out of battlefields than to actually fight at those battlefields. Maybe because it's a change of pace.

I may be the only BF2142 player in the world who runs directly to the transport, waits for it to be full, then spends the entire damn game shuttling people from place to place.

Khavall on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I have only 2 questions

Is it free?

and

Why does everything on youtube have to have the same shitty songs that play on the radio all day long?

As of now it's free. No idea what happens when it's released.

As for your second question, I don't quite follow. I don't even listen the radio much, but when I do I don't hear a lot of what I've used in my videos. In fact I can't reacall ever hearing any of the songs on the radio. Beyond that, I do listen to lyrics. So my original video songs were picked for the musics and the lyrics. Since the current video is just a teaser I didn't put as much thought into it, just some.

Abraxen on
  • Options
    DistramDistram __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2008
    No, you are not, sir.

I love doing that. My team wins if I do that.

Too bad I don't get very many xps for it.

Distram on
  • Options
    PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    That's how I live in Battlefield 2. It's an underrated role, but a very valuable one.

PolloDiablo on
  • Options
    VelmeranVelmeran Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I prefered the Huey's in BF: Vietnam, god I miss some of the awesome manuevers you could pull in those things, Going high, dropping down almost vertically to pitch up at the last second, scream over a hill and slide to a stop at the capture point, sometimes I would even bump into the flag. Good times.

Velmeran on
    Vechloran.png
  • Options
    RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I like sniping in battlefield games.

People get so angry

Sniping never felt right in planetside though, dunno why.

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Velmeran wrote: »
    I prefered the Huey's in BF: Vietnam, god I miss some of the awesome manuevers you could pull in those things, Going high, dropping down almost vertically to pitch up at the last second, scream over a hill and slide to a stop at the capture point, sometimes I would even bump into the flag. Good times.

See 2142s transports were awesome because you could scream in, flare, and then hover for a second while your teammates dropped and one dude stayed in a turret and cleared the LZ, then scream out.

Khavall on
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Velmeran wrote: »

See 2142s transports were awesome because you could scream in, flare, and then hover for a second while your teammates dropped and one dude stayed in a turret and cleared the LZ, then scream out.
    Hell yeah you can do some epic shit with the 2142 transports.

It is totally awesome taking one of the attack hoverjets and flying a few feet off the ground and just drifting around corners taking out anything you feel like.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    ScreenShot72.jpg

pilin'

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    BamelinBamelin Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Geez,

What the hell is going on in THAT screenie heh

Bamelin on
  • Options
    VelmeranVelmeran Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Blues Brother gets a Chinese SCi-Fi remake?

Velmeran on
    Vechloran.png
  • Options
    contrabandcontraband Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Planetside was the best online game.

I am so down for this. I even like the graphics; I think they're fine. If anything it'll mean a larger player base.

contraband on
    sigxw0.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    This is cool.

More people need to get on in English though so I can talk to someone!

Also, Better English patch plz.

Jarofmoldymayo on
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Bamelin wrote: »
    Couscous wrote: »
    Tokled wrote: »
    Couscous wrote: »
    Cyrixd wrote: »
    Planetside... without Sony?!

Oh my god.

But Chinese.

I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt, especially in comparison to SOE.
    I haven't played Planetside, but SOE must have touched you in a really bad way to make the though of a Chinese version see really good.

SOE has developed abit of a "reputation".

So far they have screwed up games that should have done far better through mismanagement, bungling, lack of support, etc, etc

Games I can think of off hand:

StarChamber (CCG)
    Stargate Online (CCG)
    Planetside
    Star Wars Galaxy (for fuck's sake how could you screw up STAR WARS?)

I can't speak for EQ, EQ2 or Vanguard, but in general the Station Forums are a cesspool of complaints regarding lack of marketing, games being "rebalanced" (screwed up beyond recognition), great titles being left to die (StarChamber/StarGate), shitty customer support, shitty support for games that have committed communties desperately trying to get help from devs (Planetside, StarChamber, StarGate, and others), and the list goes on.
    SOE is basically Satan's asshole.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    contrabandcontraband Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    This is cool.

How playable is it? Are there patches to turn anything from Chinese into English? How big is the installation?

contraband on
    sigxw0.jpg
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Looks.... interesting. The flight looks like crap but it's still in beta and the Maxs are definately interesting.

I know it's rumored there may be one but if there isn't a US server I'm probably not interested. If I wanted to play Planetside with chinese players I'd be playing Planetside right now. Command spam in a language I can't read and not being able to effectively communicate with my fellow NC got a little (extremely) frustrating. Not to mention the chronic disdain between the english and non-english speaking players. Losing bases my outfit had been defending tooth and nail for hours because some dipshit on either side of the language divide decided that dealing with the communication problem could best be handled by TKing was infuriating.

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    contraband wrote: »
    This is cool.

How playable is it? Are there patches to turn anything from Chinese into English? How big is the installation?

Little less than two gigs, very playable, little laggy (especially at peak Chinese hours) though.

There is a patch to turn a few things to English but last patch seems to have borked that.

But it's still pretty enjoyable just to run around and shoot dudes, despite not knowing how to get vehicles or certs or anything like that.

Jarofmoldymayo on
  • Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Why in the world is this coming from China and not from the US or Europe? What the hell is wrong with us?

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Boy I wish The servers weren't in china, pretty bad lag at Chinese prime time.

Jarofmoldymayo on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited November 2008
    I may be the only BF2142 player in the world who runs directly to the transport, waits for it to be full, then spends the entire damn game shuttling people from place to place.

My favorite parts in Planetside?

Getting that forward base vehicle thingie, roll out and deploy it, set up mine fields and sentries around it, and keep it all repaired.

I've always liked support roles in games.

Echo on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Echo wrote: »

My favorite parts in Planetside?

Getting that forward base vehicle thingie, roll out and deploy it, set up mine fields and sentries around it, and keep it all repaired.

I've always liked support roles in games.

See that's cool.

But I just like taking a big ugly cow of a flying piece of shit and making it dance.

Whenever I play local multi with my friends in any game if it has vehicles they refuse to play on maps with vehicles because invariably I either jump in one and automatically win, or I jump in the shittiest vehicle there is or a transport vehicle and still do relatively well.

I love flying things.

Khavall on
  • Options
    YoshuaYoshua Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    My best times in Planetside were driving around with Kooleagle in a magrider raping, pillaging and getting blowed the fuck up by many, many mines. We always tried to see just how much battle damage we could get on a tank before it was finally destroyed (which made TR our faves to fight since they leave like a million bullet holes in everything they fight, NC mostly just left scorch marks).

Sigh. Those were good times. I loved being a gunner and once I got warmed up, I was a terror to Reaver and Mosquito pilots while I was in a Mag.

Yoshua on
  • Options
    FranckoFrancko Registered User new member
    edited December 2008
    The 2nd beta phase began about a month ago and we've really been digging in to Welkin4591. And let me tell you, it's good!

Welkin4591 incorporates many of the things we love about Planetside -- huge maps (huger bases!), lots of vehicles and roles, and that amazing combination of global strategy, persistence and twitch fighting. And there are differences. For example, to capture a base, you need to hack 3 points within the base so the indoor fights are much more interesting. And the bases are really divers and amazing!

purplebase.jpg

We've made it really easy for you to try Welkin4591 -- we host all the game files, have a tutorial on how to navigate through the chinese account setup, and have completed some in-game translation. It's very playable and we're here to help you get in game and get some kills! We're also on TS so we can help you get started.

If you'd like to check out the next big thing in MMOFPS games, head on over to our new site, http://welkin4591.com.

P.S. Hello to all our Planetside friends!

Francko on
    Now playing Welkin4591 open beta. Join in at http://welkin4591.com!
    signature.gif
  • Options
    TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Yoshua wrote: »
    My best times in Planetside were driving around with Kooleagle in a magrider raping, pillaging and getting blowed the fuck up by many, many mines. We always tried to see just how much battle damage we could get on a tank before it was finally destroyed (which made TR our faves to fight since they leave like a million bullet holes in everything they fight, NC mostly just left scorch marks).

Sigh. Those were good times. I loved being a gunner and once I got warmed up, I was a terror to Reaver and Mosquito pilots while I was in a Mag.

those were good times, and normally i only brought our tank to 99% damage before managing to stop running over mines, we didn't ALWAYS die...

TheKoolEagle on
    uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • Options
    citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Rise from your grave!

...yeah, so I actually downloaded/installed this yesterday; is there by chance anyone here who still tinkers with it? I didn't get a lot of time last night, but I was definitely lost for the few minutes I was there.

citizen059 on