As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

King's Bounty: The Legend. Fantasy SRPG's just like the good 'ol days.

12345679»

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I haven't seen a single one of those types yet. All I've had access to is the stuff in the castle plus a menagerie I found with bears, hyenas, and something else.

Do you just not use the "horde" type during your no-loss games?

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Am I really slow at this game or what? I'm on about day 30 and I have two of the stones, with ~38 hours played. I've unlocked every continent but one though.

Also my army is inquisitors, paladins, black dragons, emerald dragons and royal snakes. In reserve I have dryads and alchemists, with goblin catapaults back at the castle for item upgrade battles. I finish almost every single battle with no losses, but I avoid lethal/invincible matchups like the plague.

Was kind of pissed that voice of the dragon doesn't actually improve dragon morale.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Thanks, guys. I've seen ArchMages and Demonologists, but only in very limited availability (3 and 4, respectively). Sounds like swapping bears for Inquisitors is the way to go.

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I found 3 Archamges on the second island, and only now, 30 hours later, have I found a place with over 100 to recruit.

Also, where the heck is the windowed mode option? I know I ran this in windowed mode a few months ago when I was using my girlfriend's laptop, but now I can't find the option to disable fullscreen anywhere.

Rami on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    aBlankaBlank Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Jars wrote: »
    the key to getting no loss battles is inquisitors+royal thorn summon and crushing blow. get crushing blow up to 200-300 damage or even 400-500 if you have the rage and battles will be a breeze. your dragon will do 50-60% of the damage.

I wasn't a huge fan of crushing blow. I kept it at level 1 and basically used it as a positioning tool to setup traps or seadogs 3 hex attack (along with Archmages). Level 1 crush has no cooldown and costs like no mana... great for the purpose I used it for. I also recommend getting stone wall but keeping it at level 1. It'll come in handy at random times to waste an enemy turn or so.

The 3 most important dragon skills (IMO) to upgrade are (in no order):

Treasure Hunter- Careful upgrading this if you're a mage. It's possible to upgrade it so that it's cost is higher than your total rage pool.

Mana Accelerator- Insanely helpful for farming certain achievements (X# of stone skin usage etc) and just in general.

Ball Lightning- Damage based on stack size is incredibly powerful.

I didn't have much luck with Mystic Egg. In theory, it could be great to have a big old stack of fodder but I found it usually came too late in the game to really matter. The hardest part of a no loss playthrough is almost always the very first few turns. The bottom 3 damage skills are all 'okay' for what they do... I never really bothered to much with any of them though.

(EDIT) Also, don't be afraid to use a small stack of Archmages. There damage output is garbage regardless. They are used mostly for magic shield/telekinesis... damage is far secondary effect. Same really applies to fodder generators like Royal Thorns. They really only go obsolete when the fodder they're creating isn't lasting long enough to matter.

aBlank on
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    have you not gotten the high level abilities? dragon dive makes the game a breeze and is far more powerful than ball lightning for most fights. fiery phantoms does even more damage but needs the right positioning. With the rage scroll giving me over 100 rage and wake dragon 2x fiery phantoms can do something like 60k damage in the first round on some of the castle sieges. Ball lightning was only useful on a few fights with big stacks of things like knights. I played through with all 3 classes and each time using crushing blow+holy rage was the way to go for no loss battles at the start. the 400-500 damage one does 2 knockback and 5x more damage than any of your units.

Jars on
  • Options
    NebulousQNebulousQ Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    You guys got me into this game again, and I picked my old save again. I was having fun and wondering why I quit playing for awhile, until I realized I could find no place to buy my preferred units: royal thorns, royal snakes, or archmages. Instead I found pirates everywhere or dragonflies, endless amounts of pirates and dragonflies. *sob*

NebulousQ on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Jars wrote: »
    have you not gotten the high level abilities? dragon dive makes the game a breeze and is far more powerful than ball lightning for most fights. fiery phantoms does even more damage but needs the right positioning. With the rage scroll giving me over 100 rage and wake dragon 2x fiery phantoms can do something like 60k damage in the first round on some of the castle sieges. Ball lightning was only useful on a few fights with big stacks of things like knights. I played through with all 3 classes and each time using crushing blow+holy rage was the way to go for no loss battles at the start. the 400-500 damage one does 2 knockback and 5x more damage than any of your units.

I've beaten the game several times :P The last 3 dragon skills are better for a warrior than the other classes IMO. In most of my playthroughs (non-warrior), I would frequently run into a problem of my max rage being lower than the necessary rage in order to cast these abilities (EDIT: that sounded dumb. I wouldn't upgrade them so I couldn't cast them but I couldn't max them to make them most efficient... in some cases even after the -rage upgrade that some of them get). Yes, I could equip items to boost my rage but, as a mage for instance, why would I switch that out over an Intelligence item?

By the time Fiery Phantoms is even close to being 'godlike' I have already achieved my game-breaking team of monsters that gets me no losses with simple spell support + mana accelerator. At that point adding more to my killer combo is just icing.

Never needed or wanted to upgrade crushing blow. Especially since it becomes outdated by mid/late game. I preferred spending the points on treasure hunter (I'm a gambler and love loot :) ) and ball lightning (which I think you're underrating). If you're having trouble with the early game though, it can certainly help. I never saw it as necessary and I did fine.

But hey, everyone's got a play-style. There's more than 1 way to go about the whole no-loss thing.

aBlank on
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    My style of play for most of the game is typically "AAAGH, survive, just please survive!" in which I use whatever tools I have available to not lose all my mans.

It usually works but I'm doubtful I'll ever try a no losses run. :P

subedii on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    As a paladin, I found crushing blow invaluable at the beginning of the game, it was the only means of safely removing the stack of powerful troops my enemy would have, 500 dmg was really far more than any of your starting groups are able to do. By now though it's definitely outdated by midgame, my dragon dive or lava plume do only slightly less damage but to 5+ stacks at the same time.

Near mid-game I had some max rage problems too, but the dragon talents from the might tree are really useful (increase max rage, increase rage flow, bonus xp), as well as absolute balance from the mind tree and now I have a max rage of about 20 higher than my most expensive dragon skill.

Rami on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Is there some sort of limit to how many spells you can cram in your spellbook? Even after selling off a bunch of scrolls I can't buy a scroll I want to scribe from a vendor.

Steel Angel on
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    There is, the only way I know of to increase it is a talent in the magic tree. If you mouseover it it should give you a [current]/[maximum] figure for spells.

Rami on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Rami wrote: »
    There is, the only way I know of to increase it is a talent in the magic tree. If you mouseover it it should give you a [current]/[maximum] figure for spells.

Lovely. So is there a way to forget some of those useless spells then?

Steel Angel on
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Right click on a spell to delete it, at a castle you can right click on a scroll to sell it.

Rami on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Is there some sort of limit to how many spells you can cram in your spellbook? Even after selling off a bunch of scrolls I can't buy a scroll I want to scribe from a vendor.

Just to clarify this, there is NO limit to the number of spells you can learn (assuming you have enough crystals and the proper level of magic in order to learn them).

There is however a limit to the number of scrolls you can carry. I believe if you open up your spell book you can see a (XX) XX sort of thing. The # in brackets I believe is the # of scrolls you have in your possession. The # outside of the bracket is the # you can carry. You can go over this amount if you pick them up off the ground or whatever, but it won't let you buy more. Along with the talent to increase this, there's also an item... kinda worthless since scrolls are fairly pointless other than to learn from (well, that and the "uber" scrolls).

Best to sell them. I basically only keep 1 of any given scroll (assuming I want to learn it at some point) or sell them if I already know it. You can open up your spell book while in a castle and sell them there.

aBlank on
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    ball lightning is really good against like great urchichk or whatever the orc leader's name is, since he has 5 really big stacks(conversely fiery phantoms is great against his son). but you have to up the rest to get the really big numbers, which is pretty crippling unless you can later reduce it after, I don't know. since my dragon ends up at like lv45 by the end 2-3 levels on crushing blow isn't a big deal. mass haste and stone skin never cost enough mana to worry about mana accelerator, just stick a point in transmute.

Jars on
  • Options
    psycojesterpsycojester Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Anybody know where i can find the Ale Barrel for the Sniper Set? I've been wandering over the entire world in AP checking all the shops trying to buy one.

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Anybody know where i can find the Ale Barrel for the Sniper Set? I've been wandering over the entire world in AP checking all the shops trying to buy one.

item placement (for the most part) is completely random. Sometimes, you'll get offered sets that you simply CAN'T complete because the rest of the set won't be in your game.

It's bullshit but I hear there's a mod that changes that. Search around the KB official forums.

RE Jars and transmute: I guess it depends on what sort of skills you plan on running. It seems like your style of play is way more offensive than mine. Mass Haste does almost nothing for me since I rely more on ranged attackers and meat shields (aided by Phantom... which costs a pretty penny) to slow down advancing attackers. Stone Skin only gets cast when I'm farming for the medal or if I'm using the target/magic shield combo. I'm much more likely to cast magic spring on a 'tank' unit than I am stone skin... that's how much mana I use :P

I personally find "control" based skills way more powerful than straight up damage skills. I guess that's why I gravitate toward control type skills, however small (ball lightning's shock ability comes in handy a surprising number of times for me... another side benefit of archmages despite the lowish odds).

aBlank on
  • Options
    MadpandaMadpanda suburbs west of chicagoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Reposting what I said in the steam thread about this.

I figured I would give Kings Bounty:TL a 30 minute checking out last night.

4 hours later its midnight and I have made a blood pact with a
    giant turtle.

3 hours after that I finally went to sleep.

I vaguely remember playing HOMM when it first came out and not getting into it much. For some reason KB scratches a certain itch perfectly.

Right now I am kicking ass in the swamp after having to run away from the wizards tower in uhh the zone east of the starting one. That staff at the top wiped me out in 1 or 2 turns so going to have to come back to it.

Are there any fixes for the hitching/freezups that happen in combat now and then?

Madpanda on
    camo_sig2.png
    Steam/PSN/XBL/Minecraft / LoL / - Benevicious | WoW - Duckwood - Rajhek
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Madpanda wrote: »
    I vaguely remember playing HOMM when it first came out and not getting into it much. For some reason KB scratches a certain itch perfectly.

KB has a more relaxed pace. One the one hand, I get annoyed at how I often have to run away from enemy groups that are even slightly weak for fear of losing units I have to trek to replace. On the other hand, it's far preferable to having to race the computer heroes who amass killer stacks of thousands of units if you don't build up quickly enough to take them on.

Steel Angel on

Steam Profile
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Heartlash wrote: »
    jothki wrote: »
    So I discovered the awesomeness of gryphons (the -30% cost item helped there) early on, but eventually started to run out of them. I managed to push onward and complete the quest to get the crown back, at which point the gryphon king offered a dialog option to recruit them. And also a quest.

It turns out that taking the quest locks out the option to recruit from him. I didn't even refill my army before I lost the chance, and now I'm down 50 gryphons (out of about 80 total) that could be tearing my enemies apart.

I suppose I'll probably end up benching my gryphons for a bit. Any suggestions as to good replacements for now?

When I was running out of griffins I started using sea dogs (from the brotherhood) and polar bears (from the viking ship in the eastern islands of the isle of freedom). They're not as swift as griffs, but both have sprint and the area swipe attack is just brutal if you teleport your sea dogs into enemy lines on your first turn.

Thanks for this. I finally got around to trying it out, and the teleport, run, and swipe combo is indeed awesome.

Of course, my opponents have finally stopped appearing in neat lines, now.

jothki on
  • Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Aaaapparently tehre's an expansion coming out in a week. Who knew?
    King’s Bounty: Crossworlds is the expansion for the famous King's Bounty: Armored Princess role-playing game. The new release in the series will include the “Orcs on the March” expansion, the two new independent campaigns “Champion of the Arena” and “Defender of the Crown” and a convenient editor with help system. This editor will allow you to create additional content for the game and alter it in any way you wish. King’s Bounty: Crossworlds requires King`s Bounty: Armored Princess installed on your PC!

2 brand new campaigns (Champion of the Arena with boss battles in a gladiatorial tournament and Defender of the Crown with battles in unique tactical arenas with a random selection of enemies and allies)
    Orcs on the March – extensive update to the original King’s Bounty: Armored Princess
    New creatures to slay or use in combat
    70 new items, 8 new item sets, including one for the pet dragon and 3 component artifacts.
    7 new quests allow players to continue their journey
    50 new abilities and skills
    13 new spells
    Game Editor for King's Bounty: Armored Princess

KiTA on
  • Options
    Smaug6Smaug6 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I got the march of the orcs expansion. It really just makes Armoured Princess much better. I haven't tried out the two other new "campaigns" but they just look like they are arena fights and not actual full campaigns like AP. I really like the new orc units and abilities. Makes them actually viable but I still have a really hard time giving up my paladin inquisotr rez/pain combo, especially since I got the set that allows for -20% leadership cost for both.

Also Rune mages (new unit) are really amazing as a warrior. Just save all those useless magic runes and make this unit and ungodly meat slop summoning beast.

These games are great.

Smaug6 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    King's Bounty was tough but manageable.

Armoured Princess though, almost every fight feels like a hard won victory, and often involves the sacrificing of many mans. I can see why Treasure Searcher is seen as such as useful skill, it would be difficult to build up cash otherwise.

I suppose I should consider myself fortunate that I got a Troll unit early on via Summon Colossus. Having him tank the worst of the damage saved me a fair amount. Inevitably I try to make sure all battles take place at night. :lol:

subedii on
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I really need to get back into the original. I got to the dwarf area before giving up because my mans kept dying and that made me sad.

I should probably restart on easy, normal seems like too much of a pain when I just want to slaughter my way through the world.

jothki on
  • Options
    LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    jothki wrote: »
    I really need to get back into the original. I got to the dwarf area before giving up because my mans kept dying and that made me sad.

I should probably restart on easy, normal seems like too much of a pain when I just want to slaughter my way through the world.

I cried bullshit when the end of the original turned into dragon fight after dragon fight. Those things are so hectically anti-mage it isn't funny. I enjoyed Armored Princess more, I'm keen to try the other...2?

Lanrutcon on
    Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • Options
    Smaug6Smaug6 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I mean, as a warrior in AP, depending on what the opposite army composition is, I am beating very strong and lethal armies with little to no losses. Especially if I have a good amount of rage going into the fight.

The game is very unforgiving for army composition, but the upside is that less durable units tend to be relatively inexpensive to reinforce. For example, if I lose 30 archers in a fight, at 200 gold a pop thats only 6k, which is only one chest from treasure seeker. SInce the computer often targets them as they are squishy and die easily I can anticipate when they will be attacked and thus use cheap defense raising spells on them or be prepared to rez them with inquisitors or paladins before the battle ends. Timing is always very important.

Stone wall, dragon kick and fiery phantoms are intergral to my strategy. This is my second play through and I can say that playing as a warrior is much easier than playing as a mage, especially because in the later game with better gear playing against non hero armies your creatures attack and defense is so much higher than the enemies they are taking 1/3rd damage and doing 3x damage on most groups of creatures.

I found the mage much more challenging, especially when facing enemy heroes. Sure the aoe spells a mage could lob at the beginning could do a ton of damage, but the +attack and +defense from other hero armies would make a large majority of your creatures really weak, especially against dragons and if you were using a 3rd or lower level creature.

When playing against demons, make sure you have that spell lock spell (the one that prevents a creature from using its special abilities) else demonsess will fucking ruin your day by transporting your most squishy unit into the heart of the computers army and sending their most elite fuck you unit (executioners) into yours.

Getting high initiative is also pretty important so you can dragon/cast spells first. Keeping theme armies is really helpful too as each +1 morale increases defense, crit chance and attack by +10% for each tier. Thus a Paladin with +3 morale in my army has about 60 defense 60 something attack, a 60% chance to crit, making it an absolute monster especially since it can rez itself and allies. This doesn't take into account the -% damg from skills and from the the units "steel armor" ability.

It does get kind of boring playing a similiar army all game, but I mix it up sometimes by getting a throw away army of dwarves for an especially deadly assault on an enemy hero.

Smaug6 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SyphyreSyphyre A Dangerous Pastime Registered User regular
    Arise from the dead!

Apparently there's a new King's Bounty coming out: "Warriors of the North" Official Website

Same engine, same gameplay, but a new hero, some new skills, a completely new location. (and for the moment it's -10% off on steam for pre-purchase)

I had no clue this was coming out until I saw it on Steam. I'm excited because I loved the first King's Bounties by 1C.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    BOUGHT

Thanks for the link!

edit: Whoah, check that. Vikings? Again? The most boring setting anywhere? Bleah. Maybe not bought.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    jammujammu 2020 is now. Registered User regular
    1 hour to go, before steam release!

Previous 2 games were fun games and had a buttload of content & humor. Who didn't love a zombie or Succubus wife?

Ww8FAMg.jpg
  • Options
    jammujammu 2020 is now. Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    After playing the first Island:
    This feels like same old King's bounty, now with Valkyries.
    Recruitable creatures seem to be more themed (like in Legend) by area than wildly varied distribution (like in Armored princess), at least on the first Island. I prefer it this way.

I recommend it to anyone, who likes HoMM style games and/or liked previous King's bounties and wants more.

jammu on
    Ww8FAMg.jpg
  • Options
    FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    I love King's Bounty but after Legend and Armored Princess, I feel like maybe the newest one isn't adding/changing enough? It just seems that way. I mean, you can't change the formula up that much, I know, but still.

Are you the magic man?