Options

[WAR] - Ranged DPS: You can run, you'll just die tired.

• Options
    BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I think I had to get out of the mindset that the Magus is a nuke class, and get into the mindset that it is a AOE DOT class with some other abilities thrown in for utility.
    Ahh, this is what I needed to hear. I had feeling the strength of the Magus was in AoE, and I thought the DoTs might be the key, but it's nice to get confirmation from people actually playing the class. I saw a Magus come in top damage for a Mourkain Temple scenario and I was wondering what his secret was, and I suspect "AoE DoT" is the answer. People tend to bunch up a lot on the narrow platform ringing the temple.

Plus, some of the stuff in Path of Changing just looks like fun. The exploding pet, the channeled spell that can turn an enemy's corpse into a rabid horror, and 240 foot wide (!!) ground target AoE DoT that just keeps getting stronger. I find my Witch Elf to be pretty limited in keep standoffs, so I've been looking for a ranged/AoE class to roll as an alt with keeps in mind, and I think the Magus might be it. They may not have the burst of the Sorc, but I think they get better survivability, and the one thing I hated about the Sorc was the extreme flimsiness.

Just an FYI, that tooltip is bugged to say 240 feet when it's actually 20 feet I believe. Kinda like how some tooltips say "0 feet away" or "Hits for 0 more damage". As much as I would love an AoE that could take out the entire front of a siege, it would be too powerful.

BlueDestiny on
  • Options
    fsmith1fsmith1 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Dracil wrote: »
    Zzulu wrote: »
    are magi as vulnerable as the sorc?

Not blowing yourself up goes a long way to helping survivability.

If they're anything like engineers though, you can get quite a bit of crowd control as well.

Actually, as far as ranged DPS goes the Magus probably has the most armor and health of any of the destro squishy classes. You only wear cloth armor, but you do get an awesome buff called Daemonic Armor that boosts your armor a huge margin (at rank 14 I was boosting around 215 armor or something like that).

fsmith1 on
  • Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2008
    Malkor wrote: »
    Am I the only one that likes the Ranged stance?

When I say drop skirmish and pick up assault, i am just not mentioning the fact that scout/ranged mastery is my main. :)

I'm not going past festering arrow in scout though, so the rest of the points are going into assault, and when I get the 5 extra mastery points from RVR, I'll grab the melee stun probably.

Morkath on
  • Options
    3lwap03lwap0 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I finally hit 20 with my SH. I have to say, the class is easy to PvE with, and if used smartly, can do very well in PvP. Most of my gripes are really bug related, the biggest being Pet location and the mobs they are fighting.

I think the true role of the SH in PvP is to seek out the other RDPS, and Caster/Healers, and either harass them into saving their own assess, or outright kill them. A SH can unleash some fairly good DPS in pretty short order, draining their AP bar really fast. My typical salvo is "Stop Yer Runnin'" (to prevent a rapid egress), Lots of Arrer's, and since i'm the path of Big Shootin', I use my DoT, and start Plinking.

I will say this - the SH has some really awesome tactics, but the 1 second Plink tactic is fucking amazing. The SH is so much more of a threat, and can unleash the hurt so much faster.

And I might be alone on this, but I think I prefer the horned squig as opposed to the range squig - for startesrs, the ranged squig sometimes for no damn reason will get right up on a target and melee it. A horned squig, frenzied, combined with my previous RDPS combo is a damn good one. The SH's aren't perfect, I do have my gripes, but they seem solid over all.

Also, fuck Bright Wizards. I will somehow make those bastards pay. Somehow.

3lwap0 on
  • Options
    risumonrisumon Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Oats wrote: »
    In the interest of perhaps piquing your Witch Elf interest for higher levels: http://www.wardb.com/spell.aspx?id=14427

Combine that with a few other like-minded WElfs and I imagine it would create a fair amount of havoc on the walls of a keep.

Magi are quite fun though.

I believe marauders, and prolly WL too, get this spell. Surprise AE boom!

risumon on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Heh, just had an awesome moment on my 18 Shadow Warrior.

I was defending the keep in Barak Varr, and when I arrived after dieing, I had found nearly all of them now tanking the boss. So I run up and on the ledge un-harassed, and started using my Split Arrows tactic to no end. The sheer amount of damage I did in that 15-20 seconds was astounding. I of course didn't stop them, as I was nearly the only one left defending, but I think I killed a witch elf or two, and probally freaked the fuck out of the healers, seeing everyones health drop a bit faster as I pop that rank 2 morale.

I'm lovin' this class.

Foolish Chaos on
  • Options
    SelnerSelner Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    but I think I prefer the horned squig as opposed to the range squig - for startesrs, the ranged squig sometimes for no damn reason will get right up on a target and melee it.

The Spiked Squig is rather bugged, to the point of not being useful to be honest. The mentioned bug with meleeing, as well as Poisoned Spike not actually firing (even when manually clicked).

I haven't used the Gas Squig much at all, is it useful?

I bounce back and forth between the normal Squig and the Horned Squig. The normal Squig almost has to be used for PvE because of the Taunt (at least for me).

Selner on
  • Options
    OatsOats Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    risumon wrote: »
    In the interest of perhaps piquing your Witch Elf interest for higher levels: http://www.wardb.com/spell.aspx?id=14427

Combine that with a few other like-minded WElfs and I imagine it would create a fair amount of havoc on the walls of a keep.

WarDB has it listed as only the light armoured MDPS, the Witch hunters and elfs.

Oats on
  • Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    nope white lions get it too, and as such marauders will also get it

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2008

Bahahahahhahaha, awesome.

I look forward to busting into the back door of a keep with an army of Marauders and Witch Elfs, and doing horribly unspeakable things to the healers and whatnot on the ramparts.

Oats on
  • Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I got my squiggy to level 8 last night. It was a lot of fun, but my damage is really really low. I'm fine with that though just because I survive forever (usually die once or twice a scenario), because I just run away if things get hairy. I love being the pest, that's for sure, but I consider it a good run if I finish in the top 10 for damage done.

Dissociater on
  • Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

Bahahahahhahaha, awesome.

I look forward to busting into the back door of a keep with an army of Marauders and Witch Elfs, and doing horribly unspeakable things to the healers and whatnot on the ramparts.

once everyone gets organized at 40, you'll probably rather be running into a wall of tanks

still, it sounds like good times to have the option

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    vonPoonBurGervonPoonBurGer Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    once everyone gets organized at 40, you'll probably rather be running into a wall of tanks

still, it sounds like good times to have the option
    Yeah, organized defenders will probably have a few people camping the postern door for this exact reason. Could be useful for the phase right after the front door drops, when enemy tanks and melee DPS usually try to clog up the main entrance, with lots of healers and RDPS facing away from the postern door on the ground floor.

vonPoonBurGer on
    Xbox Live:vonPoon | PSN: vonPoon | Steam: vonPoonBurGer
  • Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Selner wrote: »
    The Spiked Squig is rather bugged, to the point of not being useful to be honest. The mentioned bug with meleeing, as well as Poisoned Spike not actually firing (even when manually clicked).

I bounce back and forth between the normal Squig and the Horned Squig. The normal Squig almost has to be used for PvE because of the Taunt (at least for me).
    The Spiked's 5% crit chance should not be dismissed litely, but you're right, altho their animations are going I don't think they are actually delivering ranged attacks. Which is why the SH's damage in RvR is so low; the Spiked is meant to be the RvR squig and right now it's not doing diddly.

The Gas is pretty useful for RvR sieges with the +100% armor bonus and AOE dot.

PVE is all about the plain old Squig, the Horned Squig just can't hold aggro. I end up triggering the crap-in-my-pants detaunt every time. But if you are putting Mastery Points into the Big Shootin' tree- which I am- they benefit the Horned, and the Horned's dmg output really grows quickly.

Fairchild on
  • Options
    LednehLedneh shinesquawk Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    sorceress vs magus for ranged AoE support ok go

(seriously I can't decide :()

Ledneh on
  • Options
    kildykildy Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    risumon wrote: »

WarDB has it listed as only the light armoured MDPS, the Witch hunters and elfs.

Unless it was changed in late beta, Marauders had a much more abusive keep siege activity. Has their silly pull move been altered to not drag people off keep walls?

kildy on
  • Options
    IblisIblis Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Ledneh wrote: »
    sorceress vs magus for ranged AoE support ok go

(seriously I can't decide :()

The Magus' AoE specialty mastery is melee range, though Changing seems to be between single target and AoE at 65 feet. The Sorceress gets a lot of AoE spells at 80 feet, so if you want to AoE at a range that's probably the way to go.

Another thing of note is that the Magus is also a late bloomer. Not quite sure at what point they become good, as honestly I'm 13 and I still feel worthless.

Iblis on
    Steam Account, 3DS FC: 5129-1652-5160, Origin ID: DamusWolf
  • Options
    ThatConfused1ThatConfused1 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    What I do not like from playing as any Ranged DPS class and supposedly having a partied healer suddenly go from healing the team and running into the melee combat. Warrior Priest players tend to drive me into a fit because half the time I've seen warrior priests in the Ekrund Gates scenario they tend to play the "tank" role only when there's plenty of Ironbreakers and cast no heals or heal themselves only and screw the party by not parking next to Ranged DPS classes or Ranged Healer casters and defend them propper as the offical Tank and Melee DPS classes go for the squishy enemy healers...

Anyway the role of the Magus and Engineers are to harrass healer classes so they have to take their focus off of healing their allies and heal themselves. Yeah a Magus seems worthless against a tank but a Magus's HVT should be a ranged healer foolish enough to get into pet/cast range.

ThatConfused1 on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    What I do not like from playing as any Ranged DPS class and supposedly having a partied healer suddenly go from healing the team and running into the melee combat. Warrior Priest players tend to drive me into a fit because half the time I've seen warrior priests in the Ekrund Gates scenario they tend to play the "tank" role only when there's plenty of Ironbreakers and cast no heals or heal themselves only and screw the party by not parking next to Ranged DPS classes or Ranged Healer casters and defend them propper as the offical Tank and Melee DPS classes go for the squishy enemy healers...
    You are aware that the WP / DoK mechanic requires them to melee if they want to keep healing, yes? If you're looking for an Order-side backline healbot, you want a Runepriest or an Archmage.

vonPoonBurGer on
  • Options
    kildykildy Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

Anyway the role of the Magus and Engineers are to harrass healer classes so they have to take their focus off of healing their allies and heal themselves. Yeah a Magus seems worthless against a tank but a Magus's HVT should be a ranged healer foolish enough to get into pet/cast range.

WP/DoK healing sucks if they're not in melee range. All they have available at Ekrund levels is an instant HoT and a small expensive Heal/Hot. Their major heal (and primary method of regaining RF, since supplication doesn't provide enough in it's cooldown to fuel Heal/Hot spam) is melee.

kildy on
  • Options
    ToothyToothy Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Most of their best heals are based on damage dealt to the enemy. It returns a percentage of that as health to their targets.

Toothy on
  • Options
    3lwap03lwap0 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Selner wrote: »
    but I think I prefer the horned squig as opposed to the range squig - for startesrs, the ranged squig sometimes for no damn reason will get right up on a target and melee it.

I use the gas squig for PvE mostly. The AoE attack is good in PQs to add damage to mobs the tanks round up. However, in RvR, not so much. The gas attack fires too slow for my liking, and the DoT does minimal damage to players IMHO.

3lwap0 on
  • Options
    PinkjusticePinkjustice Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Hey all, first post on these forums. I play a sorceress on Wolfenburg, at lvl 19 i got a Doombolt crit for 1111. anyone else posting numbers like this around the same level? I am an intelligence whore and am hitting 500+ int buffed and 459 unbuffed, but i am super squishy obviously. I have a rlf healboting me with a Zealot and it works as a great combo.

I have yet to be hit by a player for over 1k so i was just curious because i am consistently hitting 1k+ DB's at lvl 19

Pinkjustice on
    It's more of a coral or a salmon
  • Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2008
    What did you hit with it? Most players go for +corporeal resist gear and not so much +spirit (or whatever that is) resist, so that's doable if the other player/mob didn't have any resists and you had maxed out your stats. It's a lot harder taking down tanks as a SW since almost all of my damage is corporeal.

Doc on
  • Options
    PinkjusticePinkjustice Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I use Doombolt , its our biggest nuke and does Corporeal damage.

And ya i have got pretty much as much INT as possible at this lvl, gave up a lot of survivability to do so. Having 2100hp at lvl 19 sucks but 2 shotting someone in your own Tier feels awesome!!

Pinkjustice on
    It's more of a coral or a salmon
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Doesnt your Zealot friend have a Corporeal resist debuff? I'm pretty sure the Harbinger will greatly increase your Corporeal or Spirit damage.

Also, if your using your focus damage ability as well....

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    The Harbinger does reduce the Corp resist, starting off kinda small but getting pretty ridiculous by the end of the debuff.

Oats on
  • Options
    LednehLedneh shinesquawk Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Why the fuck does ORder have so many Brights and Destruction so few sorceresses? What's the deal here?

I'm getting REALLY fucking tired of going into Mourkain and facing a team of six Brights where you can kill one before you get anal bum raped

Ledneh on
  • Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I love my squig I just wish it would recieve one final bump that would make it and probably the SW a bit more viable and make the archers more feared. Let Weapon Skill effect ranged combat as well. No fair we don't get any armor penetration skill for our attacks. Don't believe me look up your ranged tab on stats and its not there but appears in Melee :(

For a while I thought I was hot shit cause I had 25% armor penetration. So now I settle for firing TNT at groups of order trying to stop the flag runner in troll crossing.

<3 squig herder + high explosives <3

Psychotic One on
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Why the fuck does ORder have so many Brights and Destruction so few sorceresses? What's the deal here?

I'm getting REALLY fucking tired of going into Mourkain and facing a team of six Brights where you can kill one before you get anal bum raped

Crazy wizards that are on fire are cooler than yet another slutty elf.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    ZanteZante Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Septus wrote: »

So true.

Zante on
  • Options
    meatflowermeatflower Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I must say that the Bright Wizard College in Altdorf is inside/outside more Destruction-y than most areas of The Inevitable City.

Instead of doors they just use FIRE in some places. That's fucking insane.

meatflower on
    archer_sig-2.jpg
  • Options
    AvynteAvynte Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

Absolutely.

A fiery red mohawk sporting, mutton chop wearing, glowing tattoo'd, spontaneously combusting badass > you're average elf (don't get me wrong though, I have a 16 DoK I would still be playing if his mechanics didn't frustrate me to death in keep / large scale world rvr)

Bright wizards and their college also give off a very steam punk vibe to me as well, which is never a bad thing, even if everything is made of fire instead of gears.

Avynte on
    ECOED.jpg
  • Options
    ThatConfused1ThatConfused1 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    You are aware that the WP / DoK mechanic requires them to melee if they want to keep healing, yes? If you're looking for an Order-side backline healbot, you want a Runepriest or an Archmage.

Yes I'm aware of their melee damage disturbtion to healing factor, but when in a party of Swordmasters and Ironbreakers they should hold the middle line of a Warband formation and keep parked near ranged healers and be their melee defense against Melee DPS/Tank flankers. Player placement in the warband/RvR scenario is almost or as critical as having the right mix of classes in a warband with teamwork. I've had a lot of RvR matches fail because WP players did NOT heal anyone else but themselves and when there are plenty of Ironbreakers/Swordmasters they shouldn't be leading a forefront assault as they will become the first target of all of Destruction damage. Roughly being parked either on the flags of Ekrund and being about 15 meters away from Ranged Healers for a WP is a key to their survival and asskickery because this will give them their melee heals and recover and save a squishy like a Runepriest by whacking at the attacker and healing the soft squishy healer so the healer can keep the friendly tanks on the front line healed. This would also kite the Ranged Healer like the runepriest out of Destruction's Ranged DPS range yet allowing them to keep up the melee target forcing enemy tanks and Melee DPS to come into an effective trap forcing enemy healers into range of friendly Ranged DPS and exposing themselves to a possible melee flank.

ThatConfused1 on
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Avynte wrote: »

Absolutely.

A fiery red mohawk sporting, mutton chop wearing, glowing tattoo'd, spontaneously combusting badass > you're average elf (don't get me wrong though, I have a 16 DoK I would still be playing if his mechanics didn't frustrate me to death in keep / large scale world rvr)

Bright wizards and their college also give off a very steam punk vibe to me as well, which is never a bad thing, even if everything is made of fire instead of gears.

The best thing about BWs is that they they hurt themselves with their own spells and I hurt them when they hurt me because of my auras.

Keep slingin' fewls.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Player placement in the warband/RvR scenario is almost or as critical as having the right mix of classes in a warband with teamwork.
    Positioning can be important in plenty of RvR situations, but I wouldn't put it anywhere near the level of importance of teamwork and class mix. As a melee DPS class, the only times I worry about positioning are 1) when we're engaging the enemy, in which case I try to stay behind the tanks so it's less likely I'm chosen as the focus fire target, and 2) in situations where our tanks are clogging a chokepoint and/or running Hold The Line.

If you've got Warrior Priests who are the very first guy in, or WPs who aren't healing anyone but themselves, that's just poor play on their part. Telling these players that they must sit in between your tanks and your RDPS & main healers, waiting for targets to come to them, just artificially reduces their capacity to contribute. If I've got a DoK on my team, I want him engaging right beside me, right behind the tanks, so I can get some of his AoE lifetap action and so the team can benefit from the extra damage output. The only time I want to see a DoK well behind the tanks is when both he and I are on our way back to the healers to exterminate a Witch Hunter or White Lion that they have asked us to kill because he's being a pest.

vonPoonBurGer on
  • Options
    DondumsDondums Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Frostbite, the Sorc ability at 20 - is amazing. Disarms are so spiffy - and seeing WHs and WPs spin around when you use it on them is priceless. That said, I don't know if it's the point I've stuffed into Agony, the extra +Int I've gotten through gear, or what, but I find that at Rank20 I can truly melt some faces. Or maybe I've learned to position myself better? I don't know.

<3 Sorc

Dondums on
    internet
  • Options
    Oddjob187Oddjob187 Pew TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    So, whats the dillyo with Magus? Really subpar DPS in the long haul?

I am getting my shit kicked in hard in the 1-11 brackets.

Oddjob187 on
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Oddjob187 wrote: »
    So, whats the dillyo with Magus? Really subpar DPS in the long haul?

I am getting my shit kicked in hard in the 1-11 brackets.

The class is more about AoE DoTs and less on burst damage. Keep casting them at a group of enemies and you'll be a constant drain on their healing abilities. I'm regularly in the top 1-3 for damage and kills in scenarios. Just stick with it, you get some awesome spells in your next few levels and things will begin to go up for you.
    NerisaF_001.jpg

Aistan on
  • Options
    IblisIblis Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I'm level fifteen with the Magus. As far as I can tell, I completely and utterly suck. I bring pitifully low damage in the form of AoE DoTs that are ridiculously easy to counter. Essentially no burst aside from Magebolt either. In scenarios I feel all I'm contributing is a snare and a root. Even if I'm left untouched while AoEing a group my damage barely phases them, and it only takes one opponent to really take me out. I'm sturdier than a Bright Wizard/Sorceress, but I essentially have to get into melee range to maximize my damage and end up throwing myself to the wolves in the process. Oh sure, if ignored I'll get high on the damage meters, but those are an extremely poor way of judging value.

The daemons are ridiculously useless in RvR, stationary with mediocre damage and really squishy to boot.

My only relatively unique bit of utility is an AoE interrupt, but it has a cast time and is easily set back, making it rather difficult to time.

I keep hearing it gets better as one reaches higher levels and I keep going higher in hopes that I'll finally reach the point where I don't suck. So far I have yet to find that point. It's tough to say that, as I really want to like the Magus, but I honestly cannot find a silverlining to it. Even if it does get better later on, it is completely inexcusable for the Magus to be as poor as it is for so long.

On top of all this though, they also have unfinished itemization. I've found a ton of items with weapon skill on it, a stat useless to the Magus, but our Renown gear is loaded with strength, weapon skill, and willpower.

Honestly, I think they need to re-evaluate when Magi get their skills, decide what the role of the Magus is, and need to actually do our itemization and remove the placeholders. Though I'm sure many will disagree with me, but that's my overall assesment and sentiment so far.

Iblis on
    Steam Account, 3DS FC: 5129-1652-5160, Origin ID: DamusWolf