As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Chat] Tight

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    MikeMan wrote: »
    Variable wrote: »
    MikeMan wrote: »
    nexus, mike, what's sunday this week looking like for you two?

hmm. might be doable. might be indeed doable.

nice. Kev said he was probably around. I'm off, up for pretty much whatever. I hear there's a new sport some people watch on Sundays. dunno much about it. I think there's a ball.

do you impact the ball at any point in time with, say, an appendage? perhaps a hand or... a foot?

okay cool that'd be fun.

yes that's it, appendageball.

my tv has been waking me up at night asking me to watch some HD football but I don't know if I have the right channels to watch any game on Sunday, not sure when Giants are playing, etc. also I'm not sure that I require football to hang out so really, whatever.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    IreneDAdlerIreneDAdler Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Feral wrote: »
    Ultimately, W_H, it's another No True Scotsman argument. What makes a person a true Christian or Buddhist? I think the central ideas of Christianity are that Christ was a real person, who died for our sins, and that redemption (in the afterlife) can only come by being Christ-like. I don't think you can call yourself a Christian just by acting like Jesus without accepting the notions of the afterlife and salvation.

However, the core beliefs of Buddhism in my opinion are the four noble truths and the escape from suffering via the eightfold path. If you accept those, you're a True Scotsm--- err, Buddhist.

I suppose I agree with this, I'm just really tired of the people around me that have labelled themselves Buddhist. I guess I just don't understand the point of it at all to an even greater degree that I don't understand the point of religion in general.

Admittedly, much of my experience with Buddhism outside of the academic world came with people that were devout Christians but wanted to show how open-minded they were, and I immediately questioned their motivations.

I know what you're saying, though. You don't have to have a very strict definition of being a true anything to feel that lots of people who call themselves that, aren't really. This is because people are dumb and often have no clue what they're talking about. To me, a full understanding of the faith is the primary requirement. Something that has been as pop-culture-fied as Buddism is prone to having lots of dumbfucks saying "Oh yeah I'm totally down with Gautama."

Edit: Beat'd by Feral :(

IreneDAdler on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    you are a rambunctious infant

skippydumptruck on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    My god, Var, the band in your sig makes me think of Bob Dylan, CCR, and Grateful Dead all at once. Fucking nice.

Oh shit now I must listen.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    stilist wrote: »
    (note: if I was saying this out loud it'd be "bless-ed". please read it as such)
    brianxs5.jpg

I wish I understood what that was supposed to be. I mean, I know it's Brian, but I've only seen maybe 5 Family Guys and assume I'm missing something.

Variable on
  • Options
    MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Var's cousin is awesome. I met him once. He has my name. Therefore is awesome.

MikeMan on
  • Options
    edited September 2008

I'm a magician, Spencer.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    stiliststilist Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    (note: if I was saying this out loud it'd be "bless-ed". please read it as such)
    brianxs5.jpg
    I wish I understood what that was supposed to be. I mean, I know it's Brian, but I've only seen maybe 5 Family Guys and assume I'm missing something.
    Brian Blessed

stilist on
    I poop things on my site and twitter
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    My god, Var, the band in your sig makes me think of Bob Dylan, CCR, and Grateful Dead all at once. Fucking nice.

I'm adding this to my sig.

I gotta say, I've been hoping to holy hell that someone would click it. I don't want to shove it down anyone's throats but I really think it's some good shit, like really quality music, but it's my cousin so I know I might be biased and nothing is worse than drawing attention and then it clicks with no one.

I'm glad you like it man, you specifically and also in general. thanks for saying this.

Variable on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Fuuuck this shit is good.

Edit: This is in reference to the band in Var's sig.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    PasserbyePasserbye I am much older than you. in Beach CityRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Anyone else like Tokyo Ska Paradise Orchestra?

Passerbye on
  • Options
    edited September 2008

I'm adding this to my sig.

I gotta say, I've been hoping to holy hell that someone would click it. I don't want to shove it down anyone's throats but I really think it's some good shit, like really quality music, but it's my cousin so I know I might be biased and nothing is worse than drawing attention and then it clicks with no one.

I'm glad you like it man, you specifically and also in general. thanks for saying this.

yeah having recently listened to it, i can also chip in that it's pretty much fucking awesome.

MikeMan on
  • Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Inquisitor wrote: »

I'm a magician, Spencer.

You are Ben Bernanke

skippydumptruck on
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Passerbye wrote: »
    No, but I really dig Wisconsin Bebop Extravaganza Concerto.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    Wonder_HippieWonder_Hippie __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2008
    I suppose I agree with this, I'm just really tired of the people around me that have labelled themselves Buddhist. I guess I just don't understand the point of it at all to an even greater degree that I don't understand the point of religion in general.

Admittedly, much of my experience with Buddhism outside of the academic world came with people that were devout Christians but wanted to show how open-minded they were, and I immediately questioned their motivations.

Well, it is trendy to call yourself a Buddhist in some circles.

In Santa Cruz, Buddhism was all played out and the cool kids were all converting to Brahmanism. (And calling it "Hinduism.")

I'd be all, "O RLY? So you believe that poor people are poor because they deserve to be from sins during a previous life?" "Oh, no, you don't need to believe in the caste system to be Hindu!" "Well, no, but that's only because Hinduism encompasses a really wide range of beliefs but everything else you're doing in particular comes from Brahmanism of which the caste system is a central tenet." "Well, I just like being vegetarian... and stuff..."

^ highly paraphrased, of course.

Yeah, once again, my judgmental side, but shit like this is why I immediately assume that a Western person claiming to believe in something other than Christianity is disingenuous. Religion is basically a tribal thing, and these people aren't going to find any more fulfillment in the mythologies of other stupid thing than they do in their initial stupid things if they actually get into it.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    ah, thanks stilist. I see.

Also, I think this sig is gonna be too big but I'm sure there is a way to do this.

Variable on
  • Options
    PasserbyePasserbye I am much older than you. in Beach CityRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008

Tch, pathetic. They're totally a rip-off of Alabama's Banjo Hodown Quartet.

Passerbye on
  • Options
    edited September 2008

This isn't just how I'm naming future bands, this is how I'm naming any future children.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    thanks mike and inquis, I'm telling him right now. he's glad to hear it. :D

Variable on
  • Options
    edited September 2008

This isn't just how I'm naming future bands, this is how I'm naming any future children.

At least the playground teasing will toughen them up for the real world.

Passerbye on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Yeah, once again, my judgmental side, but shit like this is why I immediately assume that a Western person claiming to believe in something other than Christianity is disingenuous. Religion is basically a tribal thing, and these people aren't going to find any more fulfillment in the mythologies of other stupid thing than they do in their initial stupid things if they actually get into it.

I sympathize. I went to college with a bunch of white overprivileged sanctimonous smelly dreadlocked Ganesha-worshipping vegan ultra-liberal fucktards. These are people who make me look like Ben fucking Stein. I guess I just assumed that most people are going to be superficial no matter what they're into.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    edited September 2008

Also, I think this sig is gonna be too big but I'm sure there is a way to do this.

I would fellate whoever the songwriter is. I can take multiple dicks.

Also an ObLaDi cover? Fantastic.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    JamesJames Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Hmm, I suppose I'll have to check out Var's cousin's band when I get home, then. Always looking for good local music (though I suppose that isn't really local in this case).

James on
  • Options
    edited September 2008

I sympathize. I went to college with a bunch of white overprivileged sanctimonous smelly dreadlocked Ganesha-worshipping vegan ultra-liberal fucktards. These are people who make me look like Ben fucking Stein. I guess I just assumed that most people are going to be superficial no matter what they're into.

What about those white pagans who follow "recreated" Celtic religions? Are they also disingenuous?

Passerbye on
  • Options
    edited September 2008

That song has a special place in my heart, first song I ever learned on bass.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008

What about those white pagans who follow "recreated" Celtic religions? Are they also disingenuous?

I'm not going to discount anybody as being disingenuous for following any particular religion, certainly not Wiccans.

Perhaps you meant to address that question towards W_H and not me? If so, he specifically called out Wiccans on the last page.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    stiliststilist Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    They’re freaky hippie types, I think.

stilist on
    I poop things on my site and twitter
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    desmond has a barrow in the marketplace
    molly is a singer in a band

MikeMan on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    They’re freaky hippie types, I think.

They always annoy me. I don't know though, praying to Thor is tempting. He's so awesome in the comics.

durandal4532 on
  • Options
    edited September 2008

The two singers (my cousin who is also the drummer, and matt who is also the ... second guitar player I guess you'd say) are also the songwriters. some songs wrote together but most are one or the other.

And yeah that cover is great and that night it was flawless, glad they put it up. they have a great recording of that show I'm trying to get from them.

Variable on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Yes. Like I said, religion is a tribal thing, there is absolutely no reason to resort to crazy dead earth-worship religions because you don't want to be a Christian. You can revere the universe without cosmologies or magic.

Edit: Passer, if I'm correct, you're a self-proclaimed pagan? Something you're going to need to know about me is that the very second people try to inject themselves with spirituality is the second I discount them.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    edited September 2008

I'm not going to discount anybody as being disingenuous for following any particular religion, certainly not Wiccans.

Perhaps you meant to address that question towards W_H and not me? If so, he specifically called out Wiccans on the last page.

Well, I wasn't referring to Wiccans, since they're not followers of a "recreated" Celtic religion by virtue of the fact that Wicca was made up as a synthesis of many many other religions in the 50's, but I must have missed Wonder's comment about it.

Passerbye on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Bringing Back Love is my favorite of their songs up on their myspace.

If only for the bass.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Well, I wasn't referring to Wiccans, since they're not followers of a "recreated" Celtic religion by virtue of the fact that Wicca was made up as a synthesis of many many other religions in the 50's, but I must have missed that Wonder's comment about it.

Well, I'll break it down for you:

I see religion as a deeply personal and largely subjective way of searching for meaning. I don't have any special hatred of religion in general, though I may shake my head sadly at many religious people in particular.

W_H, as well as a number of others on this forum, is an passionate atheist who believes that the only true form of knowledge is that which can be verified empirically; consequently any belief in the mystical or supernatural is, to paraphrase Richard Dawkins, ignorant, stupid, or wicked.

Whether you're talking about Wicca or druidism or any other particular religion... I suspect W_H were to say if you were born into a religion, then failure to grow past it just represents intellectual laziness or simple ignorance. Adopting a religion in adulthood is even worse as it represents not mere laziness, but a willful lack of intellectual rigor.

Feral on

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited September 2008
    Morning.

Echo on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Well, I wasn't referring to Wiccans, since they're not followers of a "recreated" Celtic religion by virtue of the fact that Wicca was made up as a synthesis of many many other religions in the 50's, but I must have missed that Wonder's comment about it.

Well, I'll break it down for you:

I see religion as a deeply personal and largely subjective way of searching for meaning. I don't have any special hatred of religion in general, though I may shake my head sadly at many religious people in particular.

W_H, as well as a number of others on this forum, is an passionate atheist who believes that the only true form of knowledge is that which can be verified empirically; consequently any belief in the mystical or supernatural is, to paraphrase Richard Dawkins, ignorant, stupid, or wicked.

Whether you're talking about Wicca or druidism or any other particular religion... I suspect W_H were to say if you were born into a religion, then failure to grow past it just represents intellectual laziness or simple ignorance. Adopting a religion in adulthood is even worse as it represents not mere laziness, but a willful lack of intellectual rigor.

Putting it into words I could never manifest myself.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Echo wrote: »
    Morning.

Sleep well?

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    IreneDAdlerIreneDAdler Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Echo wrote: »
    Morning.

What the hell? Isn't it like 2AM where you are?

IreneDAdler on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Seriously, what's that Anonymous thing Fox is reporting on? Are they for real, or as fictional as everything else reported by Fox News?

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Yes. Like I said, religion is a tribal thing, there is absolutely no reason to resort to crazy dead earth-worship religions because you don't want to be a Christian. You can revere the universe without cosmologies or magic.

Edit: Passer, if I'm correct, you're a self-proclaimed pagan? Something you're going to need to know about me is that the very second people try to inject themselves with spirituality is the second I discount them.

Self-proclaimed Pagan, yes, in the original meaning of the word. I'm not a follower of one of the Abrahamic faiths.

Basic outline of my beliefs: The 'divine aspect' of the world is just humans misinterpreting the chaos inherent in the universe (see, quantum mechanics). People try to understand that in different ways, whatever ways they are comfortable with. I, personally, have no need to name or compartmentalize a 'God' figure, since I regard the 'divine aspect' as everything. Thus, I believe reverence for nature is useful and beneficial because 1, ultimately we're all part of the same thing and 2, those old harvest holidays were there to help connect humans with the area they live in, which I regard as a healthy practice.

With that in mind, I don't believe in 'spells' or 'hocus pocus'. If anything, my 'religion' is more of a philosophy. When I "celebrate" the various holidays (Samhain, Mabon, etc.) it's ultimately just an excuse to cook a big meal, invite friends over, and enjoy life.

Passerbye on
This discussion has been closed.