As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Remember when Discovery and the History Channel werent all about Ice truckers?

• Options
    xraydogxraydog Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I agree with the above about DSC. I used to watch it a lot. History Channel too but nowadays it has changed. You can say that about many networks though. I agree with Cyclone that Beyond 2000 was awesome. Plus it had a great theme song Beyond Tomorrow is supposed to be today's version of it but, I don't know, it isn't the same somehow.

Every now and again they'll be something good on the DSC, History networks but one place that's consistently good is PBS. NOVA and Nature is some of the best television on right now in my opinion.

xraydog on
  • Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I'm surprised that no one has mentioned how the History Channel plays NCIS now. Seriously, how the fuck does that have even the smallest connection to anything resembling history?
    Maybe it's different in the States.

They still have some cool shows in spite of that though.

TubularLuggage on
  • Options
    themightypuckthemightypuck MontanaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    HamHamJ wrote: »
    Network Decay

Mythbusters is cool though. And Evolve is pretty nice.

Those Monster Hunter (or whatever that show is called) guys are morons.

Now I finally know why ABC Family is called ABC Family.

themightypuck on
    “Reject your sense of injury and the injury itself disappears.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Path of Exile: themightypuck
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    The sweet soothing voice of mike rowe is the only thing that can get me to sleep now.

kidding

not kidding
    seriously, I recorded a bunch of his ford truck commercials and loop them in my dvd player to go to sleep.
    mike_rowe_pic.jpg

Ludious on
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Dirty Jobs I can see being on Discovery Channel, because sociology and economics and so on are sciences. They may not be as glamorous as "Oooh, look at the supernova!" or "Faster, velociraptor! Kill! Kill!", but they're still sciences. As the opening monologue says: people that handle waste disposal or make shingles or clean navigational buoys or run pig farms make civilized life possible, as much as police or public education do. They might do better to explore how that particular job is vital in its own way, as opposed to what makes it a dirty job, but there you are.

Deadliest Catch and the like, not so much. In particular, Deadliest Catch is often a great show, but at the same time it doesn't belong on Discovery Channel, except possibly as an extended episode of Dirty Jobs (because as opposed to Mike spending one or two days, he would have to spend at least one whole trip with them).

CSI: NY or NCIS on History? No fucking thank you. I'd prefer it going back to being the Hitler Channel than that.

HamHamJ, for linking to TV tropes I present you with a Made Of Win.

Shadowen on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I'm surprised that no one has mentioned how the History Channel plays NCIS now. Seriously, how the fuck does that have even the smallest connection to anything resembling history?
    Maybe it's different in the States.

They still have some cool shows in spite of that though.

Also, "The Young Adventures of Indiana Jones."

I like History and Discovery (and Discovery Science), but it depends on the night. Mythbusters, Dirty Jobs, The Universe, Modern Marvels, etc? Awesome. Monster Quest, UFO Hunters, and other bullshit? Bleh. Some of the daytime stuff on the channels can be good. Again, it all depends... sometimes it's asstastic A Haunting, sometimes it's awesome shows with marksmen challenging wild west myths.

Also, Travel Channel? Anthony Bourdain is pretty entertaining, but Andrew Zimmerin is hilarious.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Call it synchronicity or call it coincidence, but I think it is ironic that (a) two days ago I was thinking that the History Channel had lost its way by losing Hitler; (b) one day ago Ricky Gervais appeared on television with a routine that hadn't taken note of this fact; and (c) this thread was created.

I think this is part of a massive conspiracy to erase the concept of Hitler from our consciousness so that the new powers that be can create a similar police state. Note how more Bush = less Hitler. Scary...

themightypuck on
    ― Marcus Aurelius

• Options
    Dr SnofeldDr Snofeld Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Dunadan019 wrote: »
    anyone remembered when the scifi channel didnt suck?

i remember as a kid wanting to get that channel so bad just to watch all the neat sci fi shows with dinosaurs and aliens....

now i dont even surf through it, skip right over it to FX. i mean, when their prime time is a movie with a budget of about 500 bucks about giant mosquitos attacking rednecks.... its not worth it....

I like the UK Sci-Fi channel for the sole reason that these days they show Thunderbirds every day at lunchtime.

I mean, they still have the crappy original movies I think, but they balance it out with stuff like Star Trek TOS and Firefly.

Dr Snofeld on
    l4d_sig.png
  • Options
    SyphonBrueSyphonBrue Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Man, in Australia we get some pretty good shows on PayTV (FOXTEL)

Like on Nat Geo yesterday I was watching Perfect Weapon: Slings and Arrows. Fucking cool show where they compared how accurate Crossbows were to Longbows and tested it out and stuff.

But during that I was flipping over to Discovery where Future Weapons was on, and it showed this thing

[IM G]http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj315/anarchisticone/active-denial-system.jpg[/IMG]

It directs high frequency microwave radiation at the target, and is informally nicknamed The Pain Ray

Man I love these channels

Future Weapons could have been the best show ever, but I cannot stand the host.

SyphonBrue on
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    This is entirely unrelated but Discovery Communications went public today.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CycloneRangerCycloneRanger Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    SyphonBrue wrote: »
    Man, in Australia we get some pretty good shows on PayTV (FOXTEL)

Like on Nat Geo yesterday I was watching Perfect Weapon: Slings and Arrows. Fucking cool show where they compared how accurate Crossbows were to Longbows and tested it out and stuff.

But during that I was flipping over to Discovery where Future Weapons was on, and it showed this thing

[IM G]http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj315/anarchisticone/active-denial-system.jpg[/IMG]

It directs high frequency microwave radiation at the target, and is informally nicknamed The Pain Ray

Man I love these channels

Future Weapons could have been the best show ever, but I cannot stand the host.
    That is a fact. The guy hosting Future Weapons has the most unnecessarily dramatic manner about him and yet still seems to have no real technical competence. Also, he's so impressed by everything—it makes the host look like a tool, and the genuinely impressive things look less so.

CycloneRanger on
  • Options
    peterdevorepeterdevore Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Over here the Discovery channel was all 'ooh sharks' and 'ooh crocodiles', then it was 'shark vs crocodile, who would win', now they finally have shows that aren't about stupid dangerous animals and I'm grateful.

They're still scared to be technical about things though and that is a huge shame. Whether it's buildings or factories or whatever, you only get to know how big and fast it is and how much stuff/work went into building it. How it's made is a little better, but it's still grade school material.

peterdevore on
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2008
    Network Decay

Me too...

...and what Executive Meddling is...

...and how the Weird Al Show was crippled by it...

...WHY DID YOU LINK THAT SITE? Now I'm not going to get any work done.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Network Decay

Me too...

...and what Executive Meddling is...

...and how the Weird Al Show was crippled by it...

...WHY DID YOU LINK THAT SITE? Now I'm not going to get any work done.

No kidding. It's super informative.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    jeddy leejeddy lee Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    It's ironic that you can now get more science, history and math froma few episodes of good eats, than you can on a days worth of Discovery channel these days.

jeddy lee on
    Backlog Challenge: 0%
    0/8

PS2
    FF X replay

PS3
    God of War 1&2 HD
    Rachet and Clank Future
    MGS 4
    Prince of Persia

Bayonetta
    Fable 3

DS
    FF: 4 heroes of light
  • Options
    JastJast Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Toon disney is going to become Disney Xd, focusing on pretreen programming for boys? I had a feeling toon disney would basically become another version of the disney channel. Especially now that they're showing the suite life of zack and cody on there.

Jast on
    Jast39.png
  • Options
    DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    You know, I hear what you guys are saying about wanting more discovery and history in your Discoveristory Channel shows. But here's the thing:
    I'd rather hear a program explaining one thing in reasonable detail instead of one that covers basics on ten different things. Maybe a show about the engineering (not the manufacture!) of one particular thing, and a discussion of the principles behind these decisions. For instance, they could do a show about jet engines—spend ten or so minutes on the basics and various uses, then explain why this shit is the way it is. Explain why a high-bypass turbofan is preferable to a low-bypass engine, why the most efficient engine is the one with the lowest-speed exhaust when the opposite is true for things like rockets, what the limiting factors are in the operation of a jet engine, and where the current research is. Basically I want a show that still has something to teach me.

That's called school. Most people don't want to go home and watch school. They want to be entertained. Advertisers want to reach the "most people" that they can. Networks need advertisers, shows need networks. When a show doesn't appeal to "most people", the network has a hard time selling it to advertisers, which means the network doesn't get any money, which blahblahblah you already know this stuff.

Now, I don't want to come off the wrong way here. I would love a network that ran nothing but fascinating in-depth explorations into different aspects of science, technology, history, etc. Something like what I quoted up there would be awesome. But it's not going to happen, at least not on network TV.

A possible solution for people like us, which I haven't thought much about but on the surface seems like a great idea, would be for some colleges to start video-taping and broadcasting their lectures on the internet. Imagine being able to sit in on the lectures and presentations of some of the most brilliant minds in a given field, then being able to discuss that information with other viewers and even the actual students and professors. Prospective college students could get real tastes of whatever field they're interested in before they pour their time and parents' money into a major. Professors could have their research checked and reviewed and even participated in by thousands of people all over the world. The possibilities something like this could open up would be amazing. And I think it would be pretty easy to do.

Am I alone in thinking that would be freakin' sweet?

Denada on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Jast wrote: »
    Toon disney is going to become Disney Xd, focusing on pretreen programming for boys? I had a feeling toon disney would basically become another version of the disney channel. Especially now that they're showing the suite life of zack and cody on there.

Hm. Well shit most of the stuff I remember from my younger years that was on Toon Disney is gone anyway. Sigh.

Nicktoons is still pretty good though, right?

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2008

Hm. Well shit most of the stuff I remember from my younger years that was on Toon Disney is gone anyway. Sigh.

Ahaha. Aha. Ha. No.

Here at least it's Spongebob, Fairly Odd Parents, repeat ad infinitum. No Invader Zim, no Angry Beavers, no Rocko's Modern Life, no Rugrats, nothing!

Dr Snofeld on
    l4d_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Dr Snofeld wrote: »

Ahaha. Aha. Ha. No.

Here at least it's Spongebob, Fairly Odd Parents, repeat ad infinitum. No Invader Zim, no Angry Beavers, no Rocko's Modern Life, no Rugrats, nothing!

Erghh arr...heart..wrenching.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Why must you shit on my childhood, Corporate America?

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    ProPatriaMoriProPatriaMori Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Denada wrote: »
    You know, I hear what you guys are saying about wanting more discovery and history in your Discoveristory Channel shows. But here's the thing:
    I'd rather hear a program explaining one thing in reasonable detail instead of one that covers basics on ten different things. Maybe a show about the engineering (not the manufacture!) of one particular thing, and a discussion of the principles behind these decisions. For instance, they could do a show about jet engines—spend ten or so minutes on the basics and various uses, then explain why this shit is the way it is. Explain why a high-bypass turbofan is preferable to a low-bypass engine, why the most efficient engine is the one with the lowest-speed exhaust when the opposite is true for things like rockets, what the limiting factors are in the operation of a jet engine, and where the current research is. Basically I want a show that still has something to teach me.

That's called school. Most people don't want to go home and watch school. They want to be entertained. Advertisers want to reach the "most people" that they can. Networks need advertisers, shows need networks. When a show doesn't appeal to "most people", the network has a hard time selling it to advertisers, which means the network doesn't get any money, which blahblahblah you already know this stuff.

Now, I don't want to come off the wrong way here. I would love a network that ran nothing but fascinating in-depth explorations into different aspects of science, technology, history, etc. Something like what I quoted up there would be awesome. But it's not going to happen, at least not on network TV.

A possible solution for people like us, which I haven't thought much about but on the surface seems like a great idea, would be for some colleges to start video-taping and broadcasting their lectures on the internet. Imagine being able to sit in on the lectures and presentations of some of the most brilliant minds in a given field, then being able to discuss that information with other viewers and even the actual students and professors. Prospective college students could get real tastes of whatever field they're interested in before they pour their time and parents' money into a major. Professors could have their research checked and reviewed and even participated in by thousands of people all over the world. The possibilities something like this could open up would be amazing. And I think it would be pretty easy to do.

Am I alone in thinking that would be freakin' sweet?

Take a look through MIT's OpenCourseWare, for one.

ProPatriaMori on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Why must you shit on my childhood, Corporate America?

Corporate Britain in this case, but it's essentially the same.

Dr Snofeld on
    l4d_sig.png
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Oh please all those shows you loved were horrible abominations that came after the awesome shows my generation had.

I've been double shitted on basically.

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    This talk of having ones childhood shit upon is just a sign of having grown up. You weren't the first. You won't be the last. Get out of the way so the next generation can have some nice memories to be later shit upon.

themightypuck on
    ― Marcus Aurelius

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    Hey, the Modern Marvels on Bread was awesome. Even if it's pushing the definition of 'modern'.

What's trashing MM lately is the "disasters" series they KEEP FUCKING RUNNING OVER AND OVER. It reeks of putting another show under the MM brand. It's redundant because they already have Shockwave.

edit: How It's Made is broken down about as far as they can go without disclosing patented processes. If you ever notice, they do get the factory to slow down their machine (or power cycle it on/off) so you can actually see wtf it's doing.

To be honest, I like the "Engineering Disasters" series because they really highlight how many of those were caused by someone falling asleep at the switch.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Kagera wrote: »
    Oh please all those shows you loved were horrible abominations that came after the awesome shows my generation had.

Like. . .?

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Dunadan019 wrote: »
    anyone remembered when the scifi channel didnt suck?

i remember as a kid wanting to get that channel so bad just to watch all the neat sci fi shows with dinosaurs and aliens....

now i dont even surf through it, skip right over it to FX. i mean, when their prime time is a movie with a budget of about 500 bucks about giant mosquitos attacking rednecks.... its not worth it....

They used to have movies like Ravenous but now they only show made for sci-fi movies which are ABOMINABLE.

BlackbeardonGuitar on
    n13908669_48529144_9322.jpg
  • Options
    DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    You know I'll bet there's one actually called Abominable.

Denada on
  • Options
    edited September 2008

Like. . .?

FraggleRock. Nuff said.

Kagera on
  • Options
    edited September 2008

Like. . .?

FraggleRock. Nuff said.

Okay, you got me there. Fraggle Rock is at the very least as good as the likes of Angry Beavers.

I was always more of a Muppet Show person myself.

Nickelodeon used to show that too, late at night, years ago. But now? Bleh.

Dr Snofeld on
    l4d_sig.png
  • Options
    GlaealGlaeal Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

Like. . .?

FraggleRock. Nuff said.

Okay, you got me there. Fraggle Rock is at the very least as good as the likes of Angry Beavers.

Come on. For every Fraggle Rock in the 80's, there was a Kids Incorporated. It wasn't all rainbows and sunshine.

Glaeal on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Glaeal wrote: »

Like. . .?

FraggleRock. Nuff said.

Come on. For every Fraggle Rock in the 80's, there was a Kids Incorporated. It wasn't all rainbows and sunshine.

And for every Rocko there was a James Bond Jr.

Kagera on
  • Options
    GlaealGlaeal Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

Hey. I'm on your side. I'm just saying they weren't all awesome.

I mean, The Ewoks and Star Wars Droids Adventure Hour. Come on.

Glaeal on
  • Options
    edited September 2008

Oh trust me you don't have to remind me.

I remember the Gummi Bears cartoon, Pac-Man, and GoBots.

Kagera on
  • Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008

Oh trust me you don't have to remind me.

I remember the Gummi Bears cartoon, Pac-Man, and GoBots.

wait, did he just say that Disney's Adventures of the Gummi Bears was not awesome?

redx on
    They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Samurai Pizza Cats? That was a 90s thing, right? Loved that show.

Also Thunderbirds, but that was a 60s thing, so I'm not sure how I ended up liking that. My dad's influence, possibly. Hence my exposure to Looney Tunes and Tom & Jerry, too.

...that mouse was a bastard.

Dr Snofeld on
    l4d_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    redx wrote: »
    wait, did he just say that Disney's Adventures of the Gummi Bears was not awesome?

I believe I just did.

Kagera on
  • Options
    SpeakerSpeaker Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

I believe I just did.

I see that those words are English, but I have no idea why they are arranged in that order.

Speaker on
  • Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008

I believe I just did.

You suck. You do know that, right?

redx on
    They moistly come out at night, moistly.