As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

XP or VISTA

DrunkMcDrunkMc Registered User regular
edited September 2008 in Games and Technology
So, my hard drive started clicking and I'm pretty sure it's saying FUCK YOU in morse code. But it's 100% dead. I bought a new HD, but I can't find my Windows CD, and more importantly, my key.

So, I am now boned and forced to buy a new copy of Windows. XP is getting rarer and rarer and looks like, I'll have to shell out ~$175 for it. VISTA costs about the same for home edition, and I know Vista supports DirectX 10.

So, my question is, with SP1 has Vista gotten "there" yet. Is it stable, easy to use, doesn't absolutely fuck you on all digital media, and does it run games well? I know XP sucked in the beginning then it became good after SP1 and 2.

As a mostly gamer, listening to mp3s and web surfer, Vista or XP? Sway my opinion, you till this afternoon when I order it!

DrunkMc on

• Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Get Vista.

With XP there is no reason to get Vista, but that doesn't mean Vista is bad. SP1 really fixed a lot of stuff and I've been using Vista since ever and have had no issues, so take from that what you will.

I mean, I wouldn't buy XP today, no way. I would just get Vista.

The optimal situation though is trying to find your XP disc because Windows 9 (?) is on the horizon and may make Vista a bad choice. I would have delayed had I not gotten it for freebies.

So, to sum up:

- Try harder to find your XP disc.
    - If you have to buy one, get Vista
    - Shop around because there are a shitton of deals on that thing all over the place

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Didn't we just have a thread about upgrading to Vista with the answer being that Vista is fine?

Peewi on
  • Options
    DisDis Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    It's your own choice.
    There XP fanboys and vista fanboys.
    Use whatever you like better.

Dis on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    osietraosietra __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2008
    There are XP fanboys? Wow.

osietra on
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Peewi wrote: »
    Didn't we just have a thread about upgrading to Vista with the answer being that Vista is fine?

Yup.

All relevant talking points addressed I imagine. End result: Vista scaremongering is freaking ridiculous.

subedii on
  • Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=68693

tl;dr -
    wunderbar wrote: »
    I think we need a sticky thread at the top of this forum that's closed, locked, and just has as a title:

"It's okay to switch to vista, really"

Seriously. We're up to 1 thread a week about this now. Each time we say the same thing. If you have a new machine there is absolutely no reason to get XP, unless you're a business.

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Awesome, thanks for the feedback guys. And I have tried so hard to find this stupid disc, I ransacked my bedroom last night looking for it. I for the life of me can't find the damn thing. I am guessing I will find it about 10mins after I finish installing VISTA.

DrunkMc on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    osietra wrote: »
    There are XP fanboys? Wow.
    They sprung up once Vista came out, with selective amnesia targetting memories of how much XPs sucked at release and how people complained about its resource consumption.

Glal on
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    XP is still more suitable for older computers due to being less resource-heavy.
    I also prefer its task manager to Vista's.
    It was terrible at release, though.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    The optimal situation though is trying to find your XP disc because Windows 9 (?) is on the horizon and may make Vista a bad choice.

To clarify, it's not on the horizon due to problems/complaints with Vista, but merely because that is the normal life cycle of a Windows OS. XP being abnormal in its long life.

"The horizon" being 2010 at the earliest by most accounts.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I think it is Windows 7...but yeah go Vista. Also you should be able to find the os's cheaper then that at my store we used to sell XP home and vista basic for 125 and vista premium for 150 and xp pro for 165

Dixon on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I prefer XP, but part of that is almost certainly because I have only ever used other people's Vista PCs, and never had my own.

LewieP on
  • Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Vista is loverly.

Rook on
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Countdown to someone coming in here and talking about how they use Vista now and XP and vista rapes their children every time they try to load it up.

Khavall on
  • Options
    Dark BlotusDark Blotus Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Khavall wrote: »
    Countdown to someone coming in here and talking about how they use Vista now and XP and vista rapes their children every time they try to load it up.

There are two sides to the coin here. Home users are going to view vista differently than network engineers, which I happen to be. Vista does indeed suck, horribly. Even after SP1 it has numerous problems with applications, and it is still nowhere near as stable or quick as XP is currently.

That being said, the majority of home users arent going to notice it, so its fine for home use. Personally, I am using XP 64 bit edition since I have a machine with 4gb of ram. I will likely continue to do so until windows 7 is released, since at that point, win7 will either be a better alternatie, or Vista will have caught up to XP in the stability and compatibility arena at that time.

If you have an older machine with less than 2gb of memory, stick with xp, vista is only going to slow you down. If you have a newer machine with 2gb or more, then you will likely be just fine with Vista. if you use ventrillo though, be prepared to do some troubleshooting in Vista with it to get it to work properly, especially if you use a USB mic.

Dark Blotus on
    I'm in ur gamez, killin ur mobs
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I wonder how air traffic controllers view Vista.

Glal on
  • Options
    anti-everythinganti-everything Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I just switched to Vista a few weekends ago. I didn't want to with all the negativity surrounding it but same as you, but if I was going to pay that much for something I may as well get something geared towards lasting longer. None of the issues I heard of exist for me in Vista.

The only problem is that when I exit TF2 it says it crashed. But it never crashes during gameplay so I'm fine with that.

anti-everything on
    550191-1.png
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Glal wrote: »
    I wonder how air traffic controllers view Vista.

Out the tower windows.
    I'm sorry.

Nova_C on
  • Options
    ZellZell Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I'm still using XP because I just can't stand the changes they made to Explorer. There are reasons to stay with Windows XP at the moment, and there's also lots of reasons you want to upgrade. XP is certainly not inferior in every way though.

Zell on
  • Options
    numpty1979numpty1979 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I've recently switched to Vista 64 and have no problems at all (aside from a minor glitch where AVI files do not thumbnail for some reason - not a huge problem).

numpty1979 on
  • Options
    Shoegaze99Shoegaze99 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    subedii wrote: »
    Peewi wrote: »

Yup.

All relevant talking points addressed I imagine. End result: Vista scaremongering is freaking ridiculous.

Recently got a new laptop with Vista and wasn't really happy about it. Was searching for an XP disc so I could format and start over. I did not want Vista.

Eh. Dunno what I was worried about. Admittedly I've done no gaming on the laptop (and won't, outside of older games), but for my other needs Vista has been just fine. Still getting used to changes in the interface and navigation, but otherwise it's been pretty smooth. Hell, the fucker is far lighter on its feet than my desktop, despite the desktop having a better processor and XP.

So yeah, I initially got taken in by the scaremongering. Now? Eh. No big deal.

Shoegaze99 on
  • Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Vista is actually easily the best operating system on the market for the slightly informed home user, I find it far more stable than OSX, and if something does go wrong, Vista tells you what happened rather than OSX which simply tries to pretend nothing happened.

Seriously though, it takes some getting used to, but Vista really does have some great features. I agree theres not much point buying it if you already have and are 100% happy with xp, but if you need a new operating system, definitely get it. As soon as you see how awesome the new search bars are for finding stuff, you'll be sold.

tbloxham on
    "That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    angrylinuxgeekangrylinuxgeek Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    There needs to be a sticky for this or something.

angrylinuxgeek on
    sQwJu.png
  • Options
    Headspace CoolsHeadspace Cools Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I put together a new tower last May... pretty smokin' little gaming setup. I was pushed towards Vista because I was assured that it was;

A) Stable
    B) Software would soon stop being available for XP
    C) Extremely innovative.

So let's address those points.

A) No. A year and a half later I still get driver errors at bizarre times which have to be resolved.
    B) No. XP still runs everything as far as I'm aware.
    C) No. It's a slightly better-looking version of XP but it didn't make any dramatic changes.

Vista does some things well. You don't really have to run anti virus software with Vista as it is EXTREMELY good at catching when a program is trying to run in the background. I've had all sorts of viruses attempt to start running on my computer, after some download, and Vista has caught them all (so far).

Running WoW with full settings and a buttload of addons I am able to pull 30FPS inside 25-man raids. Not bad. When I swap back to XP and run WoW (full settings, same addons) I get 55+FPS inside 25-man raids. There's no logical reason for this, but Vista does seem to hog a ton of resources.

Headspace Cools on
  • Options
    kdrudykdrudy Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    The optimal situation though is trying to find your XP disc because Windows 9 (?) is on the horizon and may make Vista a bad choice.

To clarify, it's not on the horizon due to problems/complaints with Vista, but merely because that is the normal life cycle of a Windows OS. XP being abnormal in its long life.

"The horizon" being 2010 at the earliest by most accounts.

This is what frustrates me, the long life of XP shouldn't be abnormal.

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
  • Options
    AumniAumni Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I put together a new tower last May... pretty smokin' little gaming setup. I was pushed towards Vista because I was assured that it was;

A) Stable
    B) Software would soon stop being available for XP
    C) Extremely innovative.

So let's address those points.

A) No. A year and a half later I still get driver errors at bizarre times which have to be resolved.
    B) No. XP still runs everything as far as I'm aware.
    C) No. It's a slightly better-looking version of XP but it didn't make any dramatic changes.

Vista does some things well. You don't really have to run anti virus software with Vista as it is EXTREMELY good at catching when a program is trying to run in the background. I've had all sorts of viruses attempt to start running on my computer, after some download, and Vista has caught them all (so far).

Running WoW with full settings and a buttload of addons I am able to pull 30FPS inside 25-man raids. Not bad. When I swap back to XP and run WoW (full settings, same addons) I get 55+FPS inside 25-man raids. There's no logical reason for this, but Vista does seem to hog a ton of resources.

Yes a 7'ish year old program takes less resources to use. Vista doesn't 'Hog' resources. It allocates them well. And regarding your points -

A - There is something wrong with your setup or the -drivers- aren't right. Vista is stable. More-so then XP.

B. Is a straight up lie and believing it would take a large amount of faith in someone.

C. Innovative at this point is subjective. An OS is so broad in function that some users may not find it innovative at all, when another person would see night and day.

As a Vista User who has used FL Studio, Maya, an array of games, with a creative card [with creative drivers], an Nvidia card, and kept his drivers up to date, I fully recommend Vista for gaming.

Aumni on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • Options
    JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    If there's a 30 FPS difference on the same hardware in Vista and XP then you're doing it wrong. Update your drivers, scrub your hard disks with steel wool, something.

JAEF on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Know what's funny, this thread is a FAR better advertisment for Vista then the Seinfeld/Gates bullshit ads and everything else htey've done. They should just forward this thread to all users on the fence about going to a mac.

I feel confident in my choice to goto Vista now, thanks!

DrunkMc on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    DrunkMc wrote: »
    Know what's funny, this thread is a FAR better advertisment for Vista then the Seinfeld/Gates bullshit ads and everything else htey've done. They should just forward this thread to all users on the fence about going to a mac.

I don't really get the fallout for that, I thought it was pretty funny. Not a good ad for anything, but it was a quirky little skit.

And I do like the Mojave thing, showing people that you shouldn't listen to dumb scaremongering without trying it first.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    IE7 pissed me off once. This site I need to go for training at work requires CSS. IE7 doesn't use CSS, so the site won't let me take t training. :|

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

Well, then it's a good thing those ads aren't for Vista then, isn't it?

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

What are they for then?

Rook on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Rook wrote: »

What are they for then?

Well, certainly not Vista, since it's not mentioned at all.

It's the whole of Windows/Microsoft as a brand.

http://windowsvistablog.com/blogs/windowsvista/archive/2008/09/11/what-s-up-with-those-ads.aspx

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Shoegaze99Shoegaze99 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

I don't really get the fallout for that, I thought it was pretty funny. Not a good ad for anything, but it was a quirky little skit.
    Same here. I really enjoyed them. Actually kind of disappointed they pulled the plug on them.

Shoegaze99 on
  • Options
    edited September 2008

What are they for then?

http://windowsvistablog.com/blogs/windowsvista/archive/2008/09/11/what-s-up-with-those-ads.aspx

Yeah, but they were kinda pumped up as a direct response to Mac vs. Pc ads, which pretty much stand on now a days that no one wants VISTA and it sucks.

The mojave ones are cool though, I agree. Made me actually think about Vista.

I came here to ask because Windows 95 sucked, but Windows 95b was awesome. 98 sucked, 98 SE was awesome, 2k was just always sweet, and XP sucked but XP Sp2 rivals 2k for me in terms of stability. So I was hoping SP1 of Vista would have been adequete, cause I really do like hte look of it. I'm a sucker for shiney.

DrunkMc on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    No, it's PC users as a whole. Those retarded mac commercials started coming out long before Vista hit the screen. Like the guy in that blog says, it's about Windows as a line, not Vista.

A quote from my link, in case you missed it:
    Will seeing Bill and Jerry enjoy each other's company make people run out and buy a new laptop? Or correct misperceptions some non-users might have about Windows Vista?

Certainly not. We'd be crazy to think they would. That's why we're continuing the Mojave Experiment ads. That's their job.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2008

What are they for then?

Yeah, but they were kinda pumped up as a direct response to Mac vs. Pc ads, which pretty much stand on now a days that no one wants VISTA and it sucks.

The mojave ones are cool though, I agree. Made me actually think about Vista.

I came here to ask because Windows 95 sucked, but Windows 95b was awesome. 98 sucked, 98 SE was awesome, 2k was just always sweet, and XP sucked but XP Sp2 rivals 2k for me in terms of stability. So I was hoping SP1 of Vista would have been adequete, cause I really do like hte look of it. I'm a sucker for shiney.

The Search button is pretty shiney, and a click on that would have netted you a couple of threads devoted to the subject.

Just saying...

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    wasted pixelswasted pixels Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    PikaPuff wrote: »
    IE7 pissed me off once. This site I need to go for training at work requires CSS. IE7 doesn't use CSS, so the site won't let me take t training. :|

This is the most confusing thing I've ever read in my life.

wasted pixels on
  • Options
    Myself980Myself980 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Do you mostly play new games? If so, just break for Vista and tinker around with it until you get it to your ideal place. It can be jiggled to a point where it's really nice.

Are you deep into the oldies? You may want to stick with XP, or at least do some research into Vista patches.

Or split the difference by buying Vista and dual booting with something like Last XP, or one of the other XP mods.

Myself980 on
    Bad command or cheese. Abort/Retry/French?
  • Options
    GrimReaperGrimReaper Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    PikaPuff wrote: »

This is the most confusing thing I've ever read in my life.

Monkey pie like boots. Piddled like cake, cake ate monkey.

There, now it's the second most confusing thing

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
    I've got a spare copy of Portal, if anyone wants it message me.