As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Diplomacy] Eurasia: German Victory!

• Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Dyscord wrote: »
    That would make sense, because the only difference is how easily powers can access supply points. If you're Italy there aren't many you can easily get to, but it's also hard for the other powers to get from their supply points to you.

Well, it also has to do with the perception of who's more powerful. Russia starts off with 4 supply centers, which is a big advantage AND their starting territories are HUGE, area-wise. That doesn't actually mean anything, but it's intimidating to see all that Purple (or White, whichever color you're using) on the map, so people tend to gun for Russia. Also, Russia has like 3 countries to deal with right off the bat (Germany, Austria, Turkey) and England in Scandinavia.

I like playing as Turkey, because you can sort of turtle a bit, and also if you manage to successfully stab Russia early, you're in a really good position because you really only have to worry about moving westward, as opposed to most other countries which have to move in two directions.

England would be fun too, I think, although often they get ganged up on by Germany and France.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I'll show you fucks for never letting me live in the main games.....

I'll show you all!

!Sign up

PM incoming, Howl.

Thetheroo on
  • VarcaynVarcayn Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I find France to be a good country to play with.

Iberia is usually a gimme, and if you can get an alliance with either England or Germany right off the bat, which is usually doable, you're in a strong position as any attack from Italy is usually put off until the mid game, if ever, and is pretty easy to spot.

Varcayn on
  • Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I think that is correct. Italy and (IIRC) Turkey win the least but tend to survive, as they're both very defensible.

If I remember the study correctly, France is the best "balanced" faction in the game. Turkey is my personal favorite though; I like being in a corner when I play strategy games. I find it psychologically comforting.

Professor Phobos on
  • JamesJames Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    !sign up

James on
  • Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I believe ! I will sign up

Casual Eddy on
  • ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    So... now we have more than enough for two games I think.

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Ethan SmithEthan Smith Origin name: Beart4to Arlington, VARegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Germany's the funnest in my opinion.
    Though Russia is fun too, and generally less obvious than Germany. Like in real life, you have to step on a lot of toes to become strong.

Ethan Smith on
    edited September 2008
    England is most fun.

turtle turtle turtle.

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
    edited September 2008
    Yeah you can last a long time as England just moving a fleet or two around the North Sea area, even after most of your SCs are gone.

Varcayn on
  • SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    MrMister wrote: »
    I got really annoyed when I played it in Critical Failures a while ago - there were two players that formed an alliance that lasted the entire game - and then when they were the last two players, they both forfeited. I thought that was hella lame, I expect you to play to the bitter end.

Players are allowed to tie by mutual consent--it's part of the rules. The tournament scoring system then allots points to each surviving player based on the number of countries left in the game at the conclusion, and so players have to balance ambition and security as they try to maximize their points over several games. Tying gives each player fewer points, but can nonetheless reward players who can keep ironclad alliances.

And your summary of the game is incorrect, because the player controlling France in that game switched halfway through. After Kusu ran his country into the ground I took over, and I was initially left with very little option but to stay in bed with Germany. By the time I was actually in a position to do something nasty I didn't particularly want to and was fine sharing the win.

This is another point about Diplomacy: different people like to play different ways. Some people are 'Methuselahs' and want to form alliances 4lyfe. Other people are conniving snakes in the grass, and toss aside partners as soon as they can get a suitable deal--in fact, some people like betraying their partners so much that they wind up doing it even in disadvantageous positions, just because it gives them a thrill. Understanding the way that each person at the table likes to play is part of the strategy.

tl;dr: you bitches whined a lot when you lost. Suck it.

1) Phrase it however you liked, those countries at no point attacked each other. It just made for a pretty boring game. If that kind of thing is allowed, then I really see no point in playing, because it goes against the point of the game. If a tie is considered a 'win', then why not just have everyone at the start declare a tie and then everyone 'wins'.

2) Speaking of which, when I look through the rulebook, it says the winner is the one who controls 18 supply centers, period. If you're using some other kind of tournament rulebook, then it should have been stipulated at the start.

edit:: I found another version of the rulebook that includes it, where it's called a 'draw'. I'm fine calling it a draw, as long as we make clear there were no 'winners'. :)

3) I wasn't saying that it was illegal anyway, I said that IT was lame, and by implication that YOU were lame. :)

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • JebuJebu Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    MrMister wrote: »
    I got really annoyed when I played it in Critical Failures a while ago - there were two players that formed an alliance that lasted the entire game - and then when they were the last two players, they both forfeited. I thought that was hella lame, I expect you to play to the bitter end.

Players are allowed to tie by mutual consent--it's part of the rules. The tournament scoring system then allots points to each surviving player based on the number of countries left in the game at the conclusion, and so players have to balance ambition and security as they try to maximize their points over several games. Tying gives each player fewer points, but can nonetheless reward players who can keep ironclad alliances.

And your summary of the game is incorrect, because the player controlling France in that game switched halfway through. After Kusu ran his country into the ground I took over, and I was initially left with very little option but to stay in bed with Germany. By the time I was actually in a position to do something nasty I didn't particularly want to and was fine sharing the win.

This is another point about Diplomacy: different people like to play different ways. Some people are 'Methuselahs' and want to form alliances 4lyfe. Other people are conniving snakes in the grass, and toss aside partners as soon as they can get a suitable deal--in fact, some people like betraying their partners so much that they wind up doing it even in disadvantageous positions, just because it gives them a thrill. Understanding the way that each person at the table likes to play is part of the strategy.

tl;dr: you bitches whined a lot when you lost. Suck it.

1) Phrase it however you liked, those countries at no point attacked each other. It just made for a pretty boring game. If that kind of thing is allowed, then I really see no point in playing, because it goes against the point of the game. If a tie is considered a 'win', then why not just have everyone at the start declare a tie and then everyone 'wins'.

2) Speaking of which, when I look through the rulebook, it says the winner is the one who controls 18 supply centers, period. If you're using some other kind of tournament rulebook, then it should have been stipulated at the start.

edit:: I found another version of the rulebook that includes it, where it's called a 'draw'. I'm fine calling it a draw, as long as we make clear there were no 'winners'. :)

3) I wasn't saying that it was illegal anyway, I said that IT was lame, and by implication that YOU were lame. :)

Because, generally, having less people survive with more supply centers would lead you to have a far better score in a tournament. And there's plenty of stalemate lines that after a certain point just mean that it's basically impossible for anyone to solo. But yeah, I agree with the sentiment that you don't really win unless you're the only one left alive.

Also, if I'm thinking of the same game you guys are talking about, I remember that everyone in the East was running around like chickens with their heads cut off instead of organizing a defense against the West. So don't just blame the guys who decided to take advantage of that. :P

Jebu on
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    It's honestly pretty lame to play a one on one game of diplomacy. It always come down to either one guy slowly winning by default, or random guesswork.

Also, the correct response to an unbreakable two person alliance is for everyone else to get together and fuck them.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • JPantsJPants Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    !Sign Up

PM incoming VH

JPants on
  • Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    OP has been updated.

Casual Eddy, Cauld, and amateurhour, please send me the PM with the answers to my questions so I can get everything figured out.

Also, still taking people, so please sign up! I have enough to fill both games, but I could use some more signups so I can expand the reserves a bit. Remember, just because you haven't signed up yet doesn't mean you're automatically a reserve!

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • hesthefastesthesthefastest Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Are we starting up today?

hesthefastest on
    edited September 2008
    Are we starting up today?

I believe that's the plan.

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
    edited September 2008
    I'm working on it right now.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
    edited September 2008
    This is now the Eurasia thread.

Eastasia thread: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?p=7150249

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
    edited September 2008
    Game has started. Players may begin diplomacizing. First orders are due 9:00 PDT/12:00 EDT on Tuesday night

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
    edited September 2008
    Ah, Germany. I suppose I should get my pickelhaube then.

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    ugh, fuck you italy

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
  • TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    WOO WOO! I'm not in!

TheLawinator on
    My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
    edited September 2008
    WOO WOO! I'm not in!

You are Turkey.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
    edited September 2008
    Fuck you I'm just stupid.

TURKEY YES!

My Janissaries will blot out the sun.

TheLawinator on
  • ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    For Austria!

Thetheroo on
  • ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    hey guys i'm russia

you've probably heard of us as the country that produced anna kournikova

Zek on
    edited September 2008
    I like you Austrians.

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
    edited September 2008
    Also, it's not necessary, but if you could cc me in your PMs back and forth to each other, that would be cool. I like to see the dynamics between the players. :P

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
    edited September 2008
    Hey Varcayn, England?

TheLawinator on
    edited September 2008
    I forgot something about orders. Please include the game you are playing (Eurasia or Eastasia) in your subject line when sending in orders. I've updated the OP.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Clarification: Were the nations randomly assigned? I mean, really? :P

Richy on
    sig.gif
    edited September 2008
    Dear filthy germans and austrians: Italia herby proposes that the region of Tyrolia be de-militarized into perpetuity. We eagerly await your prompt (if smelly) agreement in this matter.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    edited September 2008
    That's not very diplomatic at all.

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
    edited September 2008
    Richy wrote: »
    Clarification: Were the nations randomly assigned? I mean, really? :P

They were triply randomly assigned.

First, I wrote out the names of who was in each game from memory, in the order I remembered them.
    Second, I wrote out the names of the countries from memory, in the order I remembered them.
    Third, I generated a random sequence of seven numbers and matched people to countries based on that sequence.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
    edited September 2008
    Mind-rng is best RNG

TheLawinator on
    edited September 2008
    England again, eh?

Well let's get to it then chaps.

Best of luck to all of us, here's hoping for an exciting and entertaining game.

Varcayn on
    edited September 2008
    Best of luck to you too, Varcayn.

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Alright, can anyone tell me what the hell is the loop thing between SKA, DEN & BAL? Is that an island?

Richy on
    sig.gif
    edited September 2008
    It's an ismuthus (sp?)

What it boils down to is, fleets and armies can move freely from den -> swe and back again. Fleets can move from ska -> bal, as well. It isn't entirely clear from the map VH used, but IIRC fleets can also move from hel -> bal.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg