As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Jump Ultimate Stars

• Options
    CircularCircular Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    So uh, is Jump Ultimate Stars a good, deep, fun fighting game or what?

Jump Superstars was lots of fun and had more depth than met the eye, but was dragged down by a couple of obviously broken characters. The core gameplay is solid; hopefully this new version will have leveled the playing field a bit.

Circular on
  • Options
    StriderEdgeStriderEdge Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Circular wrote:

Jump Superstars was lots of fun and had more depth than met the eye, but was dragged down by a couple of obviously broken characters. The core gameplay is solid; hopefully this new version will have leveled the playing field a bit.

Well they toned down Sanji's power up. So now fighting will become more tolerable. I believe they balanced the characters better this time around... though the level 8 Fist of the North Star guys are abit worrying.

Wait... are people complaining about Bleach DS now? That game is great. I always liked the multiple plain fighting like in Guardian Heroes. The fact that its based on the Yu Yu Hakusho genesis games is funny because face it... they are the same show, just a decade later remake with less Kuwabara.

StriderEdge on
  • Options
    Dareth RamDareth Ram regular
    edited November 2006
    Circular wrote:

Well they toned down Sanji's power up. So now fighting will become more tolerable. I believe they balanced the characters better this time around... though the level 8 Fist of the North Star guys are abit worrying.

Wait... are people complaining about Bleach DS now? That game is great. I always liked the multiple plain fighting like in Guardian Heroes. The fact that its based on the Yu Yu Hakusho genesis games is funny because face it... they are the same show, just a decade later remake with less Kuwabara.
    Bleach's greatest flaw.

Dareth Ram on
  • Options
    Thoughtless MuseThoughtless Muse Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Found a pretty nice overview of the game on youtube, gave me a much better idea of how things like Komas worked, and showed off just how seamless and smooth wifi is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlaJw_TUoTc

Thoughtless Muse on
    GSCGyms.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Found a pretty nice overview of the game on youtube, gave me a much better idea of how things like Komas worked, and showed off just how seamless and smooth wifi is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlaJw_TUoTc

heh by the look of that match it sems most people are going to pick power based characters... making 7 koma Bo-BoBo a god.

Also I unlocked the final boss 8 Koma earlier. In a word? Overpowered.

StriderEdge on
  • Options
    mikecantypemikecantype Registered User regular
    edited November 2006

[spoiler:22a57e79dd]That boss robot thing?[/spoiler:22a57e79dd]

Please tell me how or who I need to evolve to get him :)

mikecantype on
    ebi_pa_banner.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2006

[spoiler:3fd13a8425]That boss robot thing?[/spoiler:3fd13a8425]

Please tell me how or who I need to evolve to get him :)

[spoiler:3fd13a8425]Yup its the robot... I guess its Mashirito when he is older?

Uh... its the level 8 koma for Dr Mashirito from Dr Slump. The cost to evolve him to level 8 is 999 red, 999 green, and 999 yellow. To unlock the last 2 stages of his evolution you need another character from DR. Slump... considering I know nearly nothing of the series all I can do is give a description of the characters portrait. Ita a kid that looks like Astro Boy with glasses (he has the same bizzare hair as Astro Boy). By the time you get Mashirito you should have pretty much every character anyways... the boy also seems to be the last koma listed for Dr Slump.[/spoiler:3fd13a8425]

If you have wireless internet access we should play. I want to test out the online mode since I've gotten pretty much every objective covered now. Also any ideas on how to get the evolution points quickly? I'm almost out of bonuses from story missions... I know online nets some.

StriderEdge on
  • Options
    Lord JezoLord Jezo Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    What translation FAQ or guide is everyone using? It looks a lot more Japanese intensive than some of the simpler imports I have played, especially all the leveling up and such.

Lord Jezo on
    Clipboard03.jpg
    I KISS YOU!
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Lord Jezo wrote:
    What translation FAQ or guide is everyone using? It looks a lot more Japanese intensive than some of the simpler imports I have played, especially all the leveling up and such.

I've just been using the one on Gamefaqs. So far its the only english one on gamefaqs... its written by Genroh. Its pretty easy to figure out actually... I only use the guide for mission objectives. The leveling is actually pretty simple. All you do is find your character and click on the boxes. On battle characters the actual battle komas are located in the middle and the supports will be the top or bottom path. Whenever you purchase a spot on a characters evolution you will get one of the following: Red with a number [battle koma], blue with a number [support koma], red with some lines [new stage], dark blue [new music or movie], light blue with a branching path [new evolution path for a character in the series], green Q [new question], orange vortex [new jump world opened].

StriderEdge on
  • Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    That review just made me want this game ten times as much.

Must buy must buy

Furu on
  • Options
    MightyMighty Omeganaut '15 '16 '17 NebraskaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Dareth Ram wrote:
    crash5s wrote:
    Furu wrote:
    Fuck Hitsugaya.

They've been shoe-horning him into everything since he became the second most popular character.

He bores the fuck out of me and I never want to see him again.

/agree

he is also one of the weakest characters in the anime/manga

Waiting on bleach DS2 though <3Treasure
    Fuck, lets be honest here and give credit where credit's due. Sega has done nothng but evil with Bleach.

correct me if im wrong, but isnt hitsugaya the white haired Capitan with the ice based bankai?

Mighty on
    Twitch: twitch.tv\dreadmighty
  • Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Ayup.

Furu on
  • Options
    Red or AliveRed or Alive Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I wonder if Luffy's ridiculously cheap dropkick will still be around to exploit.

Made Superstars a goddamn breeze (ignoring the language barrier).

Red or Alive on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    [spoiler:f4646c0bd0]Yup its the robot... I guess its Mashirito when he is older?

Uh... its the level 8 koma for Dr Mashirito from Dr Slump. The cost to evolve him to level 8 is 999 red, 999 green, and 999 yellow. To unlock the last 2 stages of his evolution you need another character from DR. Slump... considering I know nearly nothing of the series all I can do is give a description of the characters portrait. Ita a kid that looks like Astro Boy with glasses (he has the same bizzare hair as Astro Boy). By the time you get Mashirito you should have pretty much every character anyways... the boy also seems to be the last koma listed for Dr Slump.[/spoiler:f4646c0bd0]

If you have wireless internet access we should play. I want to test out the online mode since I've gotten pretty much every objective covered now. Also any ideas on how to get the evolution points quickly? I'm almost out of bonuses from story missions... I know online nets some.

Cheers mate! I was expecting him to be his own special koma to evolve into. So I bought him, was he worth it? Oh probably not, I don't like using him, bit too slow for my liking but hey it's nice to have a deck with him.

As for wifi play I still have to get myself a bloody Nintendo wifi dongle. Sorry, I'd love to as well seeing as multiplayer is pretty much the only way to farm the other gems, especially the white ones which are damm rare to get in single play story mode out of the boxes/chests/etc.

mikecantype on
    ebi_pa_banner.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    [spoiler:05061cdc8c]Yup its the robot... I guess its Mashirito when he is older?

Uh... its the level 8 koma for Dr Mashirito from Dr Slump. The cost to evolve him to level 8 is 999 red, 999 green, and 999 yellow. To unlock the last 2 stages of his evolution you need another character from DR. Slump... considering I know nearly nothing of the series all I can do is give a description of the characters portrait. Ita a kid that looks like Astro Boy with glasses (he has the same bizzare hair as Astro Boy). By the time you get Mashirito you should have pretty much every character anyways... the boy also seems to be the last koma listed for Dr Slump.[/spoiler:05061cdc8c]

Cheers mate! I was expecting him to be his own special koma to evolve into. So I bought him, was he worth it? Oh probably not, I don't like using him, bit too slow for my liking but hey it's nice to have a deck with him.

As for wifi play I still have to get myself a bloody Nintendo wifi dongle. Sorry, I'd love to as well seeing as multiplayer is pretty much the only way to farm the other gems, especially the white ones which are damm rare to get in single play story mode out of the boxes/chests/etc.

Really? I always seem to have a bunch of the white ones. I am always low on the red, yellow, and green... especially the yellow. Right now to get lvl 8 Goku and lvl 8 Kinkkuman I need 900 yellow a piece. I've destroyed the single player missions...

StriderEdge on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    I'm running low on red as well but I know that I can easily farm for more in the story mode by playing the stages where I have to fight power based characters. White gems whilst most evolutions don't use too many of them, the only way I know of farming them is through hitting boxes, chests etc in story mode.

Anyway this is something I read off the board at Gamefaqs for this.
    Alternatively, you could beat the first 3 ranking modes in J-Arena to get 900 of red, green and yellow gems. Then you'll unlock champion ranking mode which will unlock after you beat the first 3 modes which will give you 500 of the red/green/yellow gems and then 200-500 of the other 3 gems. You can keep doing it over and over, the only drawback is that you have to fight 20 matches. It's not too bad as long as you build a nice deck. I figure it takes me 30 minutes to an hour to complete a full ranking mode.

I'll give it a try. So it does look like J-Arena has some sort of use after all.

mikecantype on
    ebi_pa_banner.jpg
  • Options
    ImranImran Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Dareth Ram wrote:
    Circular wrote:

Bleach's greatest flaw.
    There's a story about that, actually.

Apparently Tite submitted Bleach to Shounen Jump and they rejected it because the first few chapters were pretty much Yu Yu Hakusho with a new coat of paint. Tite insisted it would be different later on (to his credit, he was good on his word, but I don't know if different constituted "quality"), but they still rejected him. He was ready to give up when he got a letter from Akira Toriyama that encouraged him to keep submitting it. So he did, for the next three years. Eventually Shounen Jump relented and ran Bleach.

Imran on
    nanasigsmallerrj4.jpg
  • Options
    JesuitsJesuits Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Imran wrote:
    Dareth Ram wrote:
    Circular wrote:

Bleach's greatest flaw.

Apparently Tite submitted Bleach to Shounen Jump and they rejected it because the first few chapters were pretty much Yu Yu Hakusho with a new coat of paint. Tite insisted it would be different later on (to his credit, he was good on his word, but I don't know if different constituted "quality"), but they still rejected him. He was ready to give up when he got a letter from Akira Toriyama that encouraged him to keep submitting it. So he did, for the next three years. Eventually Shounen Jump relented and ran Bleach.

Much love to Toriyama for that. RIP.

To bring this thread back on topic, how is Dio now? I hear he was overpowered as hell in JSS. Hope he's toned down enough, as I plan to make a MUDA-ORA deck when I eventually get this.

Jesuits on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    LightReaperLightReaper Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Throw a bone to someone without a copy yet.

What Koma are Franky and Robin, does Nami get the climatact?

LightReaper on
  • Options
    SpeedySwafSpeedySwaf Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Jesuits wrote:
    Imran wrote:
    Dareth Ram wrote:
    Circular wrote:

Bleach's greatest flaw.

Much love to Toriyama for that. RIP.
    ...He's not dead.

SpeedySwaf on
  • Options
    GraviijaGraviija Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Yo, Jesuits, Toriyama isn't dead. Unless you're implying something else with "RIP".

Graviija on
  • Options
    JesuitsJesuits Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Wha? I thought he died shortly after he quit doing DBZ. Research commences.

Aaaaaand he really isn't dead. Huh. Wonder where I got that idea. :oops:

Jesuits on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    GraviijaGraviija Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    No, no, he's really quite alive.

Dead tired of Dragonball, though (OHOHOHO).

Graviija on
  • Options
    3rdrocket3rdrocket Registered User regular
    edited November 2006

Dont have franky or robin yet and as for the climatact

[spoiler:758b978edc]yes her best koma I have of her gives her a suit change and the climatact.[/spoiler:758b978edc]

3rdrocket on
    civilwarTR.jpg
  • Options
    LightReaperLightReaper Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    3rdrocket wrote:

[spoiler:1ac8b73a28]yes her best koma I have of her gives her a suit change and the climatact.[/spoiler:1ac8b73a28]
    Yay.

Perfect climatact?

LightReaper on
  • Options
    BigJoeMBigJoeM Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Franky has a level 4 koma and 2 level 5 komas (one is power and the other is laughter)

Robin has 4, 5, and 6 level komas

BigJoeM on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    3rdrocket wrote:

[spoiler:1c66e13a85]yes her best koma I have of her gives her a suit change and the climatact.[/spoiler:1c66e13a85]
    Yay.

Perfect climatact?
    [spoiler:1c66e13a85]Oh sorry thought you meant perfect for all.

first komas are regular and best I have has perfect climatact.[/spoiler:1c66e13a85]

3rdrocket on
    civilwarTR.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2006

Robin's actually a playable character in the game? Please say yes.
    Jesuits wrote:
    Wha? I thought he died shortly after he quit doing DBZ. Research commences.

Aaaaaand he really isn't dead. Huh. Wonder where I got that idea. :oops:

Yeah, Dragon Ball ended in 94, and he's done a shit ton of stuff since then.

Thoughtless Muse on
    GSCGyms.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2006

Yup. Although you don't get her or Franky til the very end of the story mode.

StriderEdge on
  • Options
    edited November 2006

Fine with me, I'm very happy she's in at all.

Man, the wait for the game is becoming unbearable. I'll have to wait for a translation guide one way or another though.

Thoughtless Muse on
    GSCGyms.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2006

Man, the wait for the game is becoming unbearable. I'll have to wait for a translation guide one way or another though.
    its already made

3rdrocket on
    civilwarTR.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    3rdrocket wrote:

its already made

Oh shit. I have enough money to get Metal Slug+a VC controller, or JUS. I used the lack of a translation guide to make my decision, but I now have a very difficult choice before me.

Thoughtless Muse on
    GSCGyms.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Okay so how are we exchanging friend codes?

Here is mine, if you add me please PM me or something so I can put you in. I want to fill this up with PA goodness.

Lord Jezo on
    Clipboard03.jpg
    I KISS YOU!
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    3rdrocket wrote:

its already made

Oh shit. I have enough money to get Metal Slug+a VC controller, or JUS. I used the lack of a translation guide to make my decision, but I now have a very difficult choice before me.

Metal Slug got delayed again it seems... Jump however could be at your house in days with 3 day shipping. I'm sure you'll make the right decision (the same decision I made... Both).

Also my friend code is... 0859 8454 7690
    I'll go ahead and add you Jezo. I'll probably add my code to my sig sometime tonight.

StriderEdge on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    WAHH!

I decided to jump on Wi-Fi just to test it out and the game went nuts on me.

My DS is sitting in my lap right now frozen in the middle of the match making loud sounds.

Is that normal when on Wi-Fi with random people? Whole thing is locked up. I had to power my system down.

:(

Lord Jezo on
    Clipboard03.jpg
    I KISS YOU!
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    3rdrocket wrote:

its already made

Metal Slug got delayed again it seems... Jump however could be at your house in days with 3 day shipping. I'm sure you'll make the right decision (the same decision I made... Both).

Also my friend code is... 0859 8454 7690
    I'll go ahead and add you Jezo. I'll probably add my code to my sig sometime tonight.

D:

Godamnit, you're right. Oh well, the decision is made. There's an import store not too far from here, and they have the game for $50. Please SNK, don't let MSA slip away.

Thoughtless Muse on
    GSCGyms.jpg
  • Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I wonder if Luffy's ridiculously cheap dropkick will still be around to exploit.

Made Superstars a goddamn breeze (ignoring the language barrier).

Well, the Gomu Gomu Axe is used a bit often in the series, so I imagine it will still be there in some form.

Zython on
    Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Is there an active list of PA people with the game and their friend codes? I want to add people but only the people who will add me back and play a bunch, dont want to fill my list up with random codes.

I added the person who said they would add me but thats about it.

Lord Jezo on
    Clipboard03.jpg
    I KISS YOU!
  • Options
    KMGorKMGor Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    So... I'm guessing the combat in Ultimate Stars is pretty much the same as Super Stars right? I owned it for a while, but I found the singleplayer boring and had mixed feelings on the combat system... But I did like the concept, so I'm marginally interested in the sequel. Anyone?

KMGor on
  • Options
    SvevinSvevin Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Skimmed through the thread, but didn't find anything on it. How does the wi-fi work on this game? Do you only get to play with friend coded people, or is there some random matchmaking as well? If there is, they are mostly going to be with people in japan. So how is the lag on that? Actually, how is the lag period?

Svevin on
    steam_sig.png