As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Vista and atikdmag.sys? Getting BSoD on startup.

JamesKeenanJamesKeenan Registered User regular
edited September 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
So... finally built a brand spanking new computer, and this is happening. I've updated chipset and video drivers to their latest versions. And I only get a BSoD on startup. System starts fine into safe mode. But half the time or better, when I try to start Windows Vista 64 normally... BSoD and it restarts. In fact, it restarts so fast, it took a few crashes before I even caught the "atikdmag" to even begin diagnosing my problem.

Everything I find on the issue is old. A year or more old, even. And the proposed solution to it all is "update your drivers." Well, obviously that isn't working.

I have a Biostar P45 motherboard, an E8500 dual core processor, and an HD 4870.

Any ideas?
Also, I can't quite get it to detect an internet connection yet, and I can't get sound through my headphones. But I figure I might be able to solve these more easily, and they're anything but necessary for the time being.

JamesKeenan on

• Options
    eternalbleternalbl Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    if you run msconfig, try removing any ati items under startup, and if that doesn't work any ati services as well. You can find those on the startup and services tabs in msconfig.

eternalbl on
    eternalbl.png
  • Options
    RuckusRuckus Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    In safe mode uninstall the ATI drivers then try booting.

Then go to ATI/AMD's website and make sure you get the correct drivers (64bit Vista).

Ruckus on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Ruckus wrote: »

Then go to ATI/AMD's website and make sure you get the correct drivers (64bit Vista).

Wait... is that... safe? Aren't the drivers the software that allows communication between the hardware and OS? Or am I totally off?

Wikipedia, here I come...

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    IreneDAdlerIreneDAdler Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I had the same problem with my HD4850. You're probably installing the entire software suite from ATI, right? That's the problem. Like Rukus said, go into safe mode, download just the driver from ATI, uninstall your old drivers and install the new one. Don't worry about uninstalling the graphics drivers. The computer can actually still talk to the graphics card without drivers, just not to the same extent as before (so you can't use high resolutions or really play any games). That's what Safe Mode is -- Windows with just the bare minimum of drivers loaded, and that's why you can start Safe Mode but not normal mode. That is to say, your computer is not crashing in Safe Mode because the graphics drivers aren't being used at all, and so it's perfectly fine to uninstall them in Safe Mode.

IreneDAdler on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    RuckusRuckus Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Ruckus wrote: »

Wait... is that... safe? Aren't the drivers the software that allows communication between the hardware and OS? Or am I totally off?

Wikipedia, here I come...

As Irene pointed out, Windows has a builtin basic graphics driver.

Ruckus on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Ok, I did as instructed. Installed just the video card drivers. Restarted...

Bluescreen... Restarted again, and it booted up. I shut it off, turned it on the next day, bluescreen. Went through the exact same process. I uninstalled current drivers, restarted. Installed the new ones (which were also the old ones, but w/e) and restarted. The first boot after reinstalling drivers crashed, and the second boot worked.

Still no consistent fixes, and I'm starting to think nothing can help me.

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Ok, I've decided to completely reinstall my OS, and never install the Catalyst control center. We'll see if that helps.

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    ZireZire Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    atikmdag.sys is the kernel mode component of the ATI driver. It will be included with the basic display driver install and has nothing to do with the catalyst control center as a previous poster has said.

Just to confirm, are you using the Vista 64-bit drivers to match your OS?

Have you tried older drivers? The ATI site at the bottom of the driver page has a link for previous drivers and if the problem you're encountering is new you might be able to work around it by using an older driver until it is fixed in a future release.

Zire on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Zire wrote: »
    atikmdag.sys is the kernel mode component of the ATI driver. It will be included with the basic display driver install and has nothing to do with the catalyst control center as a previous poster has said.

Just to confirm, are you using the Vista 64-bit drivers to match your OS?

Have you tried older drivers? The ATI site at the bottom of the driver page has a link for previous drivers and if the problem you're encountering is new you might be able to work around it by using an older driver until it is fixed in a future release.

Yes, I'm using the 64-bit drivers for my OS. I'll try installing older drivers, though I would think that older drivers would have more issues, not less.

As for why I thought eliminating the control center might help... Gotta try something? I wouldn't be losing much data, it would at least totally eliminate that possibility...

I already tried to do it, but I got a blue screen that disappeared so fast, I couldn't read it. Not sure it was the one I usually get though.

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    ZireZire Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Yes, I'm using the 64-bit drivers for my OS. I'll try installing older drivers, though I would think that older drivers would have more issues, not less.

Yeah, all depends on if you're running into a bug that has been there all along or one that was introduced by a recent change. I wish I had better advice but that's the only thing I can think of to try at the moment.

Zire on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Zire wrote: »

Yeah, all depends on if you're running into a bug that has been there all along or one that was introduced by a recent change. I wish I had better advice but that's the only thing I can think of to try at the moment.

Well, thing is, I wasn't able to install the old drivers. The installations for them all failed...

:|

8.6-8.8 couldn't install.

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    scandalscandal Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    One thing no one has pointed out yet is you can prevent Vista from automatically restarting when a BSOD occurs. You can find instructions here.

scandal on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Actually... I just found out that despite Biostar (makers of my motherboard) claiming compatibility with Vista 64, Windows does not list them as officially compatible...

JamesKeenan on