As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I'm getting married Saturday

chromdomchromdom Who?Where?Registered User regular
edited September 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
Ok, this isn't technically a request for advice -- though if anybody has any, I'd love to hear it.
Just wanted to say that I'm getting married Saturday evening, and I'm really happy about it, and am just sharing it with the denizens of the H/A board.

That is all.

chromdom on

• Options
    edited September 2008
    DON'T DO IT!!!

Just fucking with you

Congrats

BlackbeardonGuitar on
    n13908669_48529144_9322.jpg
  • Options
    TrowizillaTrowizilla Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Congratulations! Don't smash the cake.

Trowizilla on
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Yes, no cake smash is excellent advice. Maybe a little cake daub, that's funny and fine, but no smash.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    ihmmyihmmy Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    triple check that you have everything - rings, vows, wallet, keys, cc or debit just in case, cheque book if you haven't paid everything off yet, etc. then, have a blast!

ihmmy on
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    tl;dr

just kidding.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2008
    Go easy the night before.

As in don't binge on Oysters, Steak, Chocolate deserts and red wine the night before.

Really, experience talking here.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Try to make sure you eat some cake. I know it sound dumb, but you're so busy talking to people that the cake comes and goes before you even have a chance to eat any. At least have the caterers or whoever set a couple pieces aside.

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • Options
    brandotheninjamasterbrandotheninjamaster Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Yes, no cake smash is excellent advice. Maybe a little cake daub, that's funny and fine, but no smash.

I remember back at my wedding my wife and I had agreed not to smash the cake in the face. Come wedding day, we had the ceremony and low and behold 'SMASH', all over my face. It was then I grabbed my piece and returned the favor.

brandotheninjamaster on
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Let the brides' maid(s) and groomsm/e/an worry about everything - you're there to have fun, get married, and be a host to your guests.

Go around and greet every table at least, but do be sure to get some of that cake & food you spent $$$ on.

Stuff they should worry about:

- Rings
    - Music
    - Paying the FSM officiant
    - Where gifts and cards go
    - Taking care of both your parents
    - Making sure you get off to your honeymoon (if you're doing one) the next day, which includes dealing with the dress and tux.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    brandotheninjamasterbrandotheninjamaster Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    One piece of advice that I wish someone would have given me:

Bring a pad of paper (or something with enough space to write on) when it comes down to gift time either you or have someone else jot down who gave what. This makes the mandatory thankyou card process a lot easier.

P.S. Yea its soon, but this technique also a good thing to do at baby showers too.
    P.P.S. Good luck man, I wish you the best.

brandotheninjamaster on
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited September 2008
    Congratulations, you. :D

ceres on
    And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

Bring a pad of paper (or something with enough space to write on) when it comes down to gift time either you or have someone else jot down who gave what. This makes the mandatory thankyou card process a lot easier.
    Just want to emphasize this. Send thank you cards. I went to a wedding last summer, my gf was the maid of honor and had to do most of the work on the girl-side while the other bridesmaids just fucked around and got drunk. We gave a reasonable gift, but now over a year later, no thankyou. None of the other people we know who went got a thankyou either. Just buckle down for a weekend or however long it takes and write them all en masse- you look like a selfish pair of twats otherwise.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Congrats =)

I'm getting married Nov. 8th of this very year!

Xaquin on
  • Options
    Idx86Idx86 Long days and pleasant nights.Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Just take everything in stride. It's a fun day, and it goes by waaaay too quickly.

Prepare to be more exhausted than you will ever be in your life.

Idx86 on
    sig.gif

2008, 2012, 2014 D&D "Rare With No Sauce" League Fantasy Football Champion!
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008

P.S. Yea its soon, but this technique also a good thing to do at baby showers too.
    P.P.S. Good luck man, I wish you the best.

That's sooo B.C. :P

Excel spreadsheet is the way to go. Has all names, addresses, and gifts. So printing the envelope labels is much eaiser. Works for sending holiday cards too, since now they're on your list. Unless they gave you a shitty gift, then no card!

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    agree on writing down what people give you, it makes thank yous easier and more personal.

make sure you eat at the ceremony. don't feel obligated to make the rounds since everyone is there to see you.

don't lock your knees when you are at the altar/chuppah/whatever. unless you want to be the groom on the wedding videos that passes out. also eat breakfast/lunch before hand since more than likely you won't eat at the ceremony

if you don't wipe some cake on the bride you will be ridiculed by most of your guests.

if you wipe cake on your bride you will be yelled at by your brides family and likely your mom

if you are doin gyour own vows, don't count on being able to memorize them.

mts on
    camo_sig.png