As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Stretching your dollar and skipping your meals

• Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    when i was at my poorest i got a job as a mystery shopper so i could eat whoppers and get pizza deliveries every week in exchange for hastily filling out a short online feedback form

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    Mister LongbaughMister Longbaugh Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    seriously though, does everyone agree that there's nothing quite like being fucking dirt poor, living in a shitty rental house on free lunch wearing handmedowns, eating fucking mac and cheese or pancakes every night of the week, buying even those meager dietary supplements with foodstamps...

that makes a kid resilient.

or dead. resilient or dead, those are the two settings.

or a juvenile crime statistic.

Mister Longbaugh on
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Moriveth wrote: »
    The only problem with having so much instant pasta and rice is that milk is generally required.

I am currently out of milk.

What?

Do you...do you cook your rice and pasta in Milk?

A lot of this instant pasta stuff calls for milk.

Moriveth on
  • Options
    FutoreFutore Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Stale wrote: »
    Been There.

Now I have a decent job, make a good living, and have the ability to eat whatever the fuck I want, whenever the fuck I want.

except, you know, not now.... because they took all my teeth out.

But I could.

If I had the teeth.

Now I love a good gummer, but this is going a little extreme.

so what is happening this time?

Futore on
    ETqXK.png
  • Options
    Shifty FisterShifty Fister Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Does meditating really work better than sleeping Futore? I've been hella tired lately, sleeping for 12 hours a day some times, can't think it's healthy at all.

And Stale, that wheat thing sounds crazy but really goddamn useful. Need to get this info where I can though, poor studentdom hoorah.

Shifty Fister on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    The only problem with having so much instant pasta and rice is that milk is generally required.

What?

look online for Vegan substitutes for milk. Sometimes they're inconvenient or a little more expensive, but as I said earlier, you can pretty much promise they'll be happy and quite often cheaper

and I don't just mean soy milk or almond milk kinda stuff. like actual recipe substitutes

Futore on
    ETqXK.png
  • Options
    SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2008

What?

Wouldn't a big bag of normal pasta and some tins of tomatoes be cheaper? Pasta is pretty instant anyway.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I dunno, it's hard to beat a $1 box of pasta.

Moriveth on
  • Options
    Mister LongbaughMister Longbaugh Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

if you make your own pasta you can feed yourself for two weeks on like six bucks.

Mister Longbaugh on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Does meditating really work better than sleeping Futore? I've been hella tired lately, sleeping for 12 hours a day some times, can't think it's healthy at all.

And Stale, that wheat thing sounds crazy but really goddamn useful. Need to get this info where I can though, poor studentdom hoorah.

It doesn't necessarily work better than sleeping, but it's something that can be healthy. It can build mind and body health together. It's a nice, constructive way to pass the time.

Sleeping too much can just make you more tired sometimes and if you don't take in the right nutrients while you're awake, you can get pretty sick. That happened to me for a little while last fall.

Also, sometimes you just can't sleep anymore. I've had entire days where when I wake up, I stay in bed until I fall asleep again. But that can be horrible and boring and sometimes just make you more depressed.

Futore on
    ETqXK.png
  • Options
    stimtokolosstimtokolos Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I made slop in a bowl just before, one egg, beaten up and fried in a pancake form then thinly sliced, one stick of celery, one mushroom, one slice of ham which I diced, two and a half spoons of rice left over from last night and a half size can of corn.

Then I put lots of pepper on it and it tasted fantastic, but now my farts smell.

stimtokolos on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I've been getting like that lately, sleeping way too much. Only problem is if I'm not sleeping and I'm not out somewhere then I'm on the computer. Hah well might have to try and force myself to try it.

Shifty Fister on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    It's a good way to keep your body in shape. It'd be even healthier with some yoga, though you should do the simple yoga if you do it to avoid burning too many calories.

Basically a lot of stretching to keep your muscles flexible and efficient and in shape

Futore on
    ETqXK.png
  • Options
    StaleStale Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Futore wrote: »
    Been There.

Now I have a decent job, make a good living, and have the ability to eat whatever the fuck I want, whenever the fuck I want.

But I could.

If I had the teeth.

I still have my front teeth, they just took out my back ones.

Bone abcess in my jaw, been a problem for a while, finally just got too bad and they cut them all out. Can't get replacements for at least a year til the bone heals.

in the meantime the front teeth all need work due to being in close proximity to the abcess.

or in other words, My jaw tried it's best to kill me with a +5 Necrotic Blast, but I made my saving throw and only took half-damage.

Stale on
    easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    It's a good way to keep your body in shape. It'd be even healthier with some yoga, though you should do the simple yoga if you do it to avoid burning too many calories.

Basically a lot of stretching to keep your muscles flexible and efficient and in shape

Might be worth giving a go, my mum's always said I ought to give yoga a go.

Shifty Fister on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Been There.

But I could.

If I had the teeth.

I still have my front teeth, they just took out my back ones.

Bone abcess in my jaw, been a problem for a while, finally just got too bad and they cut them all out. Can't get replacements for at least a year til the bone heals.

in the meantime the front teeth all need work due to being in close proximity to the abcess.

or in other words, My jaw tried it's best to kill me with a +5 Necrotic Blast, but I made my saving throw and only took half-damage.

damn big guy, sorry to hear it. I'm rooting for ya, though I know you'll pull through and have that beautiful stoic jaw that I want to snuggle against

Futore on
    ETqXK.png
  • Options
    SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2008

How many meals would a $1 box of pasta give you?

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    edited September 2008

Might be worth giving a go, my mum's always said I ought to give yoga a go.

If you could learn it from borrowing tapes or whatever from your mom, I'd say go for it. I've been meaning to take up actual yoga

Futore on
    ETqXK.png
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I think we have a book laying around somewhere, I'll have a look tomorrow.

Shifty Fister on
  • Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited September 2008
    I am trying to limit myself to going out once a week and only spending £10 when I go

bongi on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Dammit I set off my fucking smoke alarm

oh well, time to let the place air out

Moriveth on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    one last tip off the top of my head is in regards to the biggest mistake people make when going cheap.

Do not buy the cheapest things just because they are the cheapest. I know that every cent can count and sometimes you can't spare even a few extra dimes, but it can be worth it.

If at alllll possible, go for stuff that is better for you. People just grab the cheapest thing, but that often leads to more buying in the future. This is due to a lack of good nutrients from cheaply produced foods with a lot of preservatives or chemicals. If your body doesn't get the right nutrition, it will tell you that it is still hungry and you'll end up buying more.

Often, the cravings your body gets for specific tastes or foods results from your body lacking a certain nutrient that it knows is in that food (from you eating it at a previous point). So, make a trip to the grocery store efficient and get what you need. Take the time to look through the ingredients in things. You'll be healthier and you'll have a few extra bucks in the long run.

Futore on
    ETqXK.png
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Tea-bags are good for several uses! This is the only thing I know.

Shifty Fister on
  • Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited September 2008
    I am going to scrimp and save a lot this year, apparently

bongi on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Apparently?

Shifty Fister on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    bongi move to live with me here in sunny florida. I'll be your husband who is a writer trying to make end's meet. I'll sleep inside you and keep you warm on those cold, hard nights

Futore on
    ETqXK.png
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Do those nights exist in sunny Florida? Your plan is falling apart already.

Shifty Fister on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    they do when I run ice cubes down his back and my cock has erected to the size of his forearm

ladyboys

Futore on
    ETqXK.png
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    A harrowing image.

Shifty Fister on
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    that's kinda poor
    01020130529800.jpg

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Oh my god is she dead.

Shifty Fister on
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    only on the inside

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Well that's a given, I don't anything could survive inside that diseased husk.

Shifty Fister on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I like that guy on the right. I'd give that girl on the left a shot

Futore on
    ETqXK.png
  • Options
    GafotoGafoto Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Look pretty dead on the outside too Wally.

Gafoto on
    sierracrest.jpg
  • Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    What the hell is going on there?

Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Honestly, I have no idea
    01020130527600.jpg01020130528200.jpg
    01020130528900.jpg01020130529600.jpg

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    ahahahaha

I like that guy a lot

Futore on
    ETqXK.png
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    if you're 9 he probably likes you a lot too

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited September 2008
    they do when I run ice cubes down his back and my cock has erected to the size of his forearm

D:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::winky:

bongi on