As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Wait a sec...S.T.A.L.K.E.R.?

• Options
    JJJJ DailyStormer Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    So uh... has anyone noticed that you don't necessarily need the DVD to play? I had taken the dvd out to burn some stuff, and then I started up the game, forgetting to put that disc back in. It ran fine. I played it for an hours, saved my game, and exited. No problems. Was this a fluke, or do you actually not need the disc in to play?

the north american version doesnt have copy protection because they love us. I for one welcome our new copy protection-less overlords and will gouge out the eyes of anyone who abuses their trust and copies the game :x

Dawn of War is like this also. I guess it's THQ's thing. Good for them becasue it's annoying having to put the dvd in every time.

JJ on
  • Options
    LaCabraLaCabra MelbourneRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Archonex wrote: »
    JJ wrote: »
    I'd really love to see an npc pull a dead body in a barrel. I guess they couldn't animate it right so it only happens whn you aren't there.

I've seen a boar drag a dead dog around.

About the closest thing i've seen to that is when I took out the guards at the bridge checkpoint. I walked over to the farm and did the mission that Wolf gives you there only to come back and find a swarm of dogs dragging the corpses away. Alot of the lower tier mutants seem to gravitate towards corpses for food, it seems.

Edit: Looking back, I realized that I hadn't looted the corpses yet. Damn dogs.

Awesome.

LaCabra on
  • Options
    MachismoMachismo Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    WOW! Some of those bandits are well armed! I had to go against a group of them with assault riffles!
    Talk about tough!!!
    well, now I got some good guns. Why doesn't the trader have any ammo for them!!!

Machismo on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Sq wrote: »
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Guys, seriously. This error I have started happening without warning. STALKER won't run at all now. :|

Exception Reason:
    XR_3DA.exe caused BREAKPOINT in module "C:\Program Files\THQ\S.T.A.L.K.E.R. - Shadow of Chernobyl\bin\xrCore.dll" at 001B:005A8BAB, xrDebug::backend()+187 byte(s)

Have you tried re-installing?

Yes. I tried it patched and unpatched (it was patched when this started happening).

Still happens.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    So uh... has anyone noticed that you don't necessarily need the DVD to play? I had taken the dvd out to burn some stuff, and then I started up the game, forgetting to put that disc back in. It ran fine. I played it for an hours, saved my game, and exited. No problems. Was this a fluke, or do you actually not need the disc in to play?

the north american version doesnt have copy protection because they love us. I for one welcome our new copy protection-less overlords and will gouge out the eyes of anyone who abuses their trust and copies the game :x

I'll readily admit I normally don't pay for computer games, but I paid for STALKER with a smile on my face and it was worth every penny.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Raiden333 wrote: »

I'll readily admit I normally don't pay for computer games, but I paid for STALKER with a smile on my face and it was worth every penny.

angry_baby_head.JPG

I blame you for Starforce!

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    So I decided to harvest some prices from the thread:
    I have to say this game is really fun so far. I picked it up the other night hoping to price match circuit city's price of 29.99 but the lady at the counter saw the ad wrong and rang it up for 19.99.
    $US29.99 = $AU37.19
    Dashui wrote: »
    My limited edition copy arrived today for only 48 USD, including shipping from overseas. That's really not that bad.
    $US48=$AU59.52
    fsmith1 wrote: »
    Oh yeah, and it's essentially priced as a budget title.

AU retail price for standard edition? $89.99

...:|

Suriko on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    You pay more so we save.

:D

JJ on
  • Options
    SqSq Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Guys, seriously. This error I have started happening without warning. STALKER won't run at all now. :|

Exception Reason:
    XR_3DA.exe caused BREAKPOINT in module "C:\Program Files\THQ\S.T.A.L.K.E.R. - Shadow of Chernobyl\bin\xrCore.dll" at 001B:005A8BAB, xrDebug::backend()+187 byte(s)

Yes. I tried it patched and unpatched (it was patched when this started happening).

Still happens.

Dunno then. According to google the xr_3da.exe file is tied to the copy protection scheme for whichever version you have (which is secuROM 7, unless you're running the Russion version which comes with the oh-so-lovely Starforce), so maybe your install is getting tripped up on copy protection? If so that might explain why it doesn't go away with a reinstall. Otherwise my next guess would be a driver-related issue, which you could test by turning down/off the hardware acceleration for your sound and video drivers in directx diagnostics (dxdiag.exe).

Sq on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Hmm, the patch seemed to have removed the radiation from the viper tunnel.

JJ on
  • Options
    edited March 2007

Exception Reason:

Still happens.

Dunno then. According to google the xr_3da.exe file is tied to the copy protection scheme for whichever version you have (which is secuROM 7, unless you're running the Russion version which comes with the oh-so-lovely Starforce), so maybe your install is getting tripped up on copy protection? If so that might explain why it doesn't go away with a reinstall. Otherwise my next guess would be a driver-related issue, which you could test by turning down/off the hardware acceleration for your sound and video drivers in directx diagnostics (dxdiag.exe).

But why the hell is this happening to me now? Everything was going fine before this, and I've been playing it since it was released.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Two things -

One I got the Exoskeleton which I'm *assuming* is the best armour. It sure seems like the most expensive. I can't seem to run now, though. It's very odd.

Also, what's the best rifle type gun? I got one off a Duty (or Freedom?) member and it seems pretty nice, though the ammo is rare-ish.

Magus` on
  • Options
    PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Magus` wrote: »
    Two things -

One I got the Exoskeleton which I'm *assuming* is the best armour. It sure seems like the most expensive. I can't seem to run now, though. It's very odd.

Also, what's the best rifle type gun? I got one off a Duty (or Freedom?) member and it seems pretty nice, though the ammo is rare-ish.

Exoskeleton armor is so bulky and heavy, you can't sprint in it. You may also notice that you can't drag corpses dressed in exo armor.

The best rifles are the 9x39 ammo using rifles. Unfortunately, the ammo can be hard to come by. 5.56x45 ammo is a lot easier to find and the rifles work just as well. The G36 is the best stats-wise, but it's rather heavy, the SA80 is heavy and has the worst stats of the 5.56 rifles, but its first shot is very accurate. The TSr or whatever is the most average, but also the lightest.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Hmm, the patch seemed to have removed the radiation from the viper tunnel.

The one with the Viper that file pistol rounds? The radiation is still there.

tofu on
  • Options
    Zetetic ElenchZetetic Elench Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Yeah, the radiation is in a really small area of the tunnel. I think that's why lots of people don't think there's any at all.

Far as I can tell the radiation there is actually an overlap from the bank above it.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    TalonrazorTalonrazor Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    So G&T IRC talked me into buying STALKER even though my computer needs mega upgrades. What setting could I run the game on realistically? I've got a AMD 2600, Radeon 9800SE and 512mb of RAM. I just wonder how shittastic this game will work.

But I must own it since it looks like FEAR meets Morrowind meets Fallout.

Talonrazor on
    sig4.jpg
  • Options
    BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Talonrazor wrote: »
    So G&T IRC talked me into buying STALKER even though my computer needs mega upgrades. What setting could I run the game on realistically? I've got a AMD 2600, Radeon 9800SE and 512mb of RAM. I just wonder how shittastic this game will work.

But I must own it since it looks like FEAR meets Morrowind meets Fallout.

You could probably run it in DX8 mode with the details set to medium. It still looks alright.

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TalonrazorTalonrazor Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Man I can't wait to get out of this economics class to snag the game now.

Talonrazor on
    sig4.jpg
  • Options
    powersurgepowersurge Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Raslin wrote: »
    Giganticus wrote: »
    powersurge wrote: »
    Where is this rumored Viper5 that fires pistol ammo? I thought I was at the tunnel where its suppose to be but I got deeper in past the bubbles and the radiation got too heavy (this is early game I got jack for armor).
    Well there's a pistol that fires Viper5 ammo. Maybe there's a source of confusion there?

You have to go all the way to the end. You'll need radiation meds.

On my way back I was greeted by 3 soldiers. Not fun fighting them while I'm surrounded by anomalies and slightly radioactive.

You don't need radiaton meds. There is no radiation in that tunnel, none I experienced anyways.

There's just an invisible maze of electricity. :O

I must be looking in the wrong tunnel then. Its a maze of electricity then I get deep in and I get stopped by radiation (Early game no suit and very few meds). Can you post the location of the tunnel? I'm thinking of the one to the west past the warehouse in the garbage area.

powersurge on
  • Options
    Zetetic ElenchZetetic Elench Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Past the hangar, yeah. Right at the very, very end of the tunnel. The tunnel's right near the exit to the Agroprom.

There is radiation. But you can get to the end without being radiated. If you've got vodka and antirad meds, you'll be fine with just a leather jacket.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Raslin wrote: »
    Giganticus wrote: »
    Where is this rumored Viper5 that fires pistol ammo? I thought I was at the tunnel where its suppose to be but I got deeper in past the bubbles and the radiation got too heavy (this is early game I got jack for armor).
    Well there's a pistol that fires Viper5 ammo. Maybe there's a source of confusion there?

You have to go all the way to the end. You'll need radiation meds.

On my way back I was greeted by 3 soldiers. Not fun fighting them while I'm surrounded by anomalies and slightly radioactive.

You don't need radiaton meds. There is no radiation in that tunnel, none I experienced anyways.

There's just an invisible maze of electricity. :O

I must be looking in the wrong tunnel then. Its a maze of electricity then I get deep in and I get stopped by radiation (Early game no suit and very few meds). Can you post the location of the tunnel? I'm thinking of the one to the west past the warehouse in the garbage area.

Huh. In that tunnel I experienced no radiation, and there were no electric anomalies - Just a shit ton of those whirligigs (like wall-to-wall). Maybe it's different for each playthrough?

TetraNitroCubane on
  • Options
    krylon666krylon666 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Pancake wrote: »
    Two things -

Exoskeleton armor is so bulky and heavy, you can't sprint in it. You may also notice that you can't drag corpses dressed in exo armor.

The best rifles are the 9x39 ammo using rifles. Unfortunately, the ammo can be hard to come by. 5.56x45 ammo is a lot easier to find and the rifles work just as well. The G36 is the best stats-wise, but it's rather heavy, the SA80 is heavy and has the worst stats of the 5.56 rifles, but its first shot is very accurate. The TSr or whatever is the most average, but also the lightest.

i found the exoskeleton (from pripyat) to be super helpful during all of the NPP shit. you're super resistant to bullets, but hold onto the science suit - much radiation ahead.

as far as weapons go, the Vitnor (i think thats the name) Sniper and Assault Rifle varients are definitely the best gun (my favorite anyway). super accurate and VERY powerful and pretty much silent. i realized this kinda late but, the scientist in Yantor sells 9x39 ammo. so go stock up there, then after that you find it a lot on all the monolith guys. i was pretty set for awhile. i also carried a shitload of ammo for the G36 too though (and a G36 as backup).

krylon666 on
  • Options
    RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    No way, the GP 37/FN2000 later in the game are defidentally the best guns in the game. They are headshot machines.

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • Options
    krylon666krylon666 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    i must argue that the Vintor BC is more accurate, more powerful, and has a better scope. therefore, a much better headshot machine

krylon666 on
  • Options
    DartboyDartboy Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Yeah, once you get the Vintar BC, you don't need another gun for the rest of the game. the 9x39mm ammo is plentiful towards the end, it's super accurate and powerful, and silenced. I've managed to pick off several enemies with it without them ever knowing where I was. Which is funny, because when the AI just can't determine where you are, it totally spazzes out and runs in circles.

Dartboy on
  • Options
    MiSTieOtakuMiSTieOtaku Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I think my post got lost somewhere further back, and I'm still waiting for any help. My game continues to crash constantly, and I really don't feel like reinstalling or patching as I'll lose my considerably advanced place in the game. If there's anyone that could make a fixed .exe file for the patched International no DVD version, then I would be extremely happy. Like I said, my chances for internet use are far and few between, and the only connection I can get to is a measly 56k for the moment.

Giganticus, any chance you could help a fellow gamer out?

MiSTieOtaku on
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    So... one of the first quests is to get a tail from a pseudodog. I got the tail, but nothing happens. Am I supposed to get more tails, or is the quest bugged? I got two tails, but that didn't work either.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Cherrn wrote: »
    So... one of the first quests is to get a tail from a pseudodog. I got the tail, but nothing happens. Am I supposed to get more tails, or is the quest bugged? I got two tails, but that didn't work either.

They have to be the tails of a pseudodog. Most of the dogs you see running around are blind dogs, not pseudodogs. Chances are you have a regular dog tail.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Ech, I had a feeling that was the case, but was too lazy to fish out the survival guide. Thanks anyway!

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    edited March 2007

They have to be the tails of a pseudodog. Most of the dogs you see running around are blind dogs, not pseudodogs. Chances are you have a regular dog tail.

A lot of them can be found right before entering Duty base.

JJ on
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

are the pseudodogs the ones that send you flying through the air when they hit you? if so i hate those fuckers, they're worse then the bloodsuckers

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    edited March 2007

are the pseudodogs the ones that send you flying through the air when they hit you? if so i hate those fuckers, they're worse then the bloodsuckers

They look like dogs, kind of. They're gray and more heavily built around the shoulders. They also have smushy faces and really big teeth.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

They look like dogs, kind of. They're gray and more heavily built around the shoulders. They also have smushy faces and really big teeth.

yeah..those are what i was thinking of, they're like giant Pugs from hellO_o

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    edited March 2007

The boars?

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited March 2007

The boars?

No, smaller than boars and less noisy. They're roughly the size of blind dogs, but they're much meaner and they have teeth the size of your hand.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I swear, this game is going out of it's way to annoy me.

Like I found someone who states he'll 'repair your items' but he doesn't give me the option to do so. This would be super helpful since, y'know, armour breaks down really fast. D:

Magus` on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I swear, this game is going out of it's way to annoy me.

Like I found someone who states he'll 'repair your items' but he doesn't give me the option to do so. This would be super helpful since, y'know, armour breaks down really fast. D:

He's been mentioned before. And everyone thinks he should be fixed so he can... fix stuff.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    Captain UglyheadCaptain Uglyhead Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    That's neat... I can start the game, but it just brings me to a blank screen. Clicking around randomly, I found the credits, the "multiplayer find servers" screen, the load game screen, and the options screen. Couldn't actually start a game, though.

Cripes.
    ughstalkersy7.jpg

See that gigantic plateau on the left, there? The one that goes down sharply? That's me alt-tabbing out of the game. I'm getting the feeling that this is all too rich for my blood.

Captain Uglyhead on
    Spiderweb Software makes fun, reasonably priced games for PCs and Macs. Big demos, too!
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    The FT 200M is fucking *awesome*.

Magus` on
  • Options
    Eight RooksEight Rooks Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

Note that it's one of the quests. None of them are unique and all of them keep cropping up as you progress - you'll still have people asking you for part X of monster Y and all the other things several hours in, whether you've done them or failed them already.

Eight Rooks on
    <AtlusParker> Sorry I'm playing Pokemon and vomiting at the same time so I'm not following the conversation in a linear fashion.

Read my book. (It has a robot in it.)