As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Game On] Phantasy Star Online

1131415161719»

• TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    This is bad form, dredging up a dead thread like this, but I thought everyone who plays/used to play this might want to know.

I've had the SCHTHACK version of PsoBB installed on my computer for months now, but only last night after a definitions update did NOD32 recongize that the game was infected with a variant of the Win32/Kryptik.CR trojan. At first I thought it might be a false positive, but the infection got into my System Restore information, too, which doesn't seem like behavior that a game should have. If anyone still has this game installed, you might want to look into possible malware.

TetraNitroCubane on
    VuIBhrs.png
  • GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    That does seem odd, but it's possibly a false positive. However would that trojan cause a problem booting windows? Before I played this my laptop always booted right. After playing this, sometimes it wouldn't boot correctly and have to restore. Now that I've stopped playing, it hasn't happened again. Odd eh? This is actually a good reminder for me to get some sort of trojan detecter on my laptop. It's somewhat new so I forgot to download a good program for it.

Gilder on
  • TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Gilder wrote: »
    That does seem odd, but it's possibly a false positive. However would that trojan cause a problem booting windows? Before I played this my laptop always booted right. After playing this, sometimes it wouldn't boot correctly and have to restore. Now that I've stopped playing, it hasn't happened again. Odd eh? This is actually a good reminder for me to get some sort of trojan detecter on my laptop. It's somewhat new so I forgot to download a good program for it.

After all of the false positives that this particular game has incurred, it would surprise me if it was. I would be surprised, though, that it took NOD32 so long to get a false positive - By now you'd think they would have found it, realized it was false, and fixed it. Regardless, I'm still trying some deep scanning to ensure there aren't any problems, but I guess only time will tell.

Periodically I have had boot issues on my computer, too, but mine have always been before POST. I'd probably say the boot problems are an unrelated issue on my end.

TetraNitroCubane on
    VuIBhrs.png
  • LorkLork Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Just chiming in to say that I haven't had any boot problems, but I'm running Vista, so that might be why.

Oh and Gilder, Ven and I were playing some games and we thought of you. Can you give us a link to your Steam profile... Or make a Steam account... or something? There are fun times to be had.

Lork on
    Steam Profile: Lork
  • elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Ok, I made an account again after a log away time.
    Elliotw2, card number 22688428

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
  • GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Lork wrote: »
    Just chiming in to say that I haven't had any boot problems, but I'm running Vista, so that might be why.

Oh and Gilder, Ven and I were playing some games and we thought of you. Can you give us a link to your Steam profile... Or make a Steam account... or something? There are fun times to be had.

I don't have steam or anything on the laptop. It's not really good enough to run PC games outside of a few. I don't really see the point in making an account.

Gilder on
  • BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    The specs for this game are incredibly low. you could run it on any laptop made in the last 4 years.

I should play this again. I never got to level 50, only mid 40's.

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • MoSiAcMoSiAc Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I think I may check this out since it's free and I am pretty addicted to phantasy star zero on DS right now.

MoSiAc on
    Monster Hunter Tri US: MoSiAc - U46FJF - Katrice | RipTen - Gaming News | Los Comics
  • Skelly BSkelly B Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Are people still playing this? I might have to start again even though my old ID is long deleted.

It would be scary to know how many hours I've wasted on PSO... hell, even BB alone...

Skelly B on
  • ArasenArasen Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    How did I miss this, gonna try this out now.

So when I try to install I get a antivirus warning saying it's detected a trojan. Generic!Artemis.
    Any comment on this?

Arasen on
    [SIGPIC]steam_sig.png[/SIGPIC]
  • MoSiAcMoSiAc Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    A few pages back someone has the same thing, it's just the nature of the file. This anti virus stuff is because of GameGuard which I think still installs but is turned off for the private server.

This apparently doesn't work with linux as far as I have found so far but I am not giving up yet.

MoSiAc on
    Monster Hunter Tri US: MoSiAc - U46FJF - Katrice | RipTen - Gaming News | Los Comics
  • Skelly BSkelly B Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Just made a FOnewm... life with no alt is hard :P

Rococo 22704660 if anyone is still playing

Skelly B on