Options

Any science students here?

13567

Posts

  • Options
    beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Computer science isn't even fucking science.

    what's fucking science then?
    pimpology?

    durr hurr hurr bad jokes lulz

    beavotron on
  • Options
    beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    valtzy wrote: »
    i could see computer science being science. sort of.

    pyschology on the other hand, fuck that.

    you have a lot of negative energy
    i imagine it's because of your dad
    do you wanna talk about it, champ?

    what about that wasn't science?



    SCIENCE

    beavotron on
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2008
    beavotron wrote: »
    Computer science isn't even fucking science.

    what's fucking science then?
    pimpology?

    durr hurr hurr bad jokes lulz

    Slap.jpg

    Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    tuggatugga Makin' movies Makin' songsRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    yessss dru i love you

    tugga on
  • Options
    Fire TruckFire Truck I love my SELFRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    valtzy wrote: »
    i could see computer science being science. sort of.

    pyschology on the other hand, fuck that.

    I mean, I'll be the first to admit I don't know a whole lot about psychology, but people tend to dismiss "soft" sciences out of hand.

    All science is is a perspective one takes in examining something. If you are observing phenomena and developing testable hypotheses, anything you are doing is considered to be a science, regardless of how many complex formulas you memorize.

    <<<anthropology major

    Fire Truck on
  • Options
    tuggatugga Makin' movies Makin' songsRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    if its not an arts major its most likely a science major

    tugga on
  • Options
    beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Fire Truck wrote: »
    valtzy wrote: »
    i could see computer science being science. sort of.

    pyschology on the other hand, fuck that.

    I mean, I'll be the first to admit I don't know a whole lot about psychology, but I people tend to dismiss "soft" sciences out of hand.

    All science is is a perspective one takes in examining something. If you are observing phenomena and developing testable hypotheses, anything you are doing is considered to be a science, regardless of how many complex formulas you memorize.

    <<<anthropology major


    it's not science unless you need a bunson burner and protective goggles to look at it
    go dig up some bones and pottery shards!
    i considered switching to anthropology so i could be an archaeologist. I still kind of wish I did that.

    beavotron on
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    beavotron wrote: »
    [it's not science unless you need a bunson burner and protective goggles to look at it
    That is just chemistry, and chemistry is closer to cooking than science.

    Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    As7As7 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I have a BS in microbiology and work in an air quality testing lab. I know a bit about germs and fungi and DNA and other tiny things. I use a microscope all day, every weekday.

    As7 on
    XBOX Live: Arsenic7
    Secret Satan
  • Options
    beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    beavotron wrote: »
    [it's not science unless you need a bunson burner and protective goggles to look at it
    That is just chemistry, and chemistry is closer to cooking than science.

    i sucked so hard at chemistry because i'm impatient
    which is also why i suck at cooking

    beavotron on
  • Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Aspiring geneticist here.

    I'm going to study it next year if they'll let me back in to uni. I've been reading up on it in my own time too.

    I'm trying to get into The Origin of Species but Darwin just won't shut up about his fucking pigeons.

    Butler on
  • Options
    tuggatugga Makin' movies Makin' songsRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Butler wrote: »
    Aspiring geneticist here.

    I'm going to study it next year if they'll let me back in to uni. I've been reading up on it in my own time too.

    I'm trying to get into The Origin of Species but Darwin just won't shut up about his fucking pigeons.

    try reading einsteins theory of relativity

    tugga on
  • Options
    Fire TruckFire Truck I love my SELFRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    beavotron wrote: »
    Fire Truck wrote: »
    valtzy wrote: »
    i could see computer science being science. sort of.

    pyschology on the other hand, fuck that.

    I mean, I'll be the first to admit I don't know a whole lot about psychology, but I people tend to dismiss "soft" sciences out of hand.

    All science is is a perspective one takes in examining something. If you are observing phenomena and developing testable hypotheses, anything you are doing is considered to be a science, regardless of how many complex formulas you memorize.

    <<<anthropology major


    it's not science unless you need a bunson burner and protective goggles to look at it
    go dig up some bones and pottery shards!
    i considered switching to anthropology so i could be an archaeologist. I still kind of wish I did that.

    My archaeology field school in Belize was one of the best experiences of my life. I don't know if I could do it for a living though, so I'm switching my focus to environmental anthro.

    Fire Truck on
  • Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    tugga wrote: »
    Butler wrote: »
    Aspiring geneticist here.

    I'm going to study it next year if they'll let me back in to uni. I've been reading up on it in my own time too.

    I'm trying to get into The Origin of Species but Darwin just won't shut up about his fucking pigeons.

    try reading einsteins theory of relativity

    I did. Darwin is way more readable.

    Butler on
  • Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    There are days when I wish I had done something more science-y like chemistry or biology, but I think my job is a nice balance of calculators/analysis to hardhats/inspection. I would be bored witless sitting at a desk/in a lab all day, so getting outside is a good thing for me.

    Usagi on
  • Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I would like to go into an actual science program but I'd have to catch up on so much math to be a physicist and I need to have a decent job sooner rather than 50.

    Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Butler wrote: »
    Aspiring geneticist here.

    I'm going to study it next year if they'll let me back in to uni. I've been reading up on it in my own time too.

    I'm trying to get into The Origin of Species but Darwin just won't shut up about his fucking pigeons.

    there are versions where people cut out the bullshit cause darwin, though i love the crap out of him and he's pretty much my favorite scientist (don't worry mendel, you are pretty close behind) was kind of crazy
    they all were
    brilliant people are fucking nuts

    beavotron on
  • Options
    tuggatugga Makin' movies Makin' songsRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Mysst wrote: »
    I would like to go into an actual science program but I'd have to catch up on so much math to be a physicist and I need to have a decent job sooner rather than 50.

    once youre in university all you need is college algebra than youre straight into calc courses

    tugga on
  • Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    tugga wrote: »
    Mysst wrote: »
    I would like to go into an actual science program but I'd have to catch up on so much math to be a physicist and I need to have a decent job sooner rather than 50.

    once youre in university all you need is college algebra than youre straight into calc courses
    man I'm pretty much in remedial math right now and it's not going as well as it should be. I need like, a daily math problem book so I don't lose what little math I've taken.

    Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    tuggatugga Makin' movies Makin' songsRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Mysst wrote: »
    tugga wrote: »
    Mysst wrote: »
    I would like to go into an actual science program but I'd have to catch up on so much math to be a physicist and I need to have a decent job sooner rather than 50.

    once youre in university all you need is college algebra than youre straight into calc courses
    man I'm pretty much in remedial math right now and it's not going as well as it should be. I need like, a daily math problem book so I don't lose what little math I've taken.

    thats what i mean by once youre in

    math really is an everyday thing and they recommend each of us engineering majors to try to take a math course every summer just so we stay in the right mindset

    tugga on
  • Options
    beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Mysst wrote: »
    tugga wrote: »
    Mysst wrote: »
    I would like to go into an actual science program but I'd have to catch up on so much math to be a physicist and I need to have a decent job sooner rather than 50.

    once youre in university all you need is college algebra than youre straight into calc courses
    man I'm pretty much in remedial math right now and it's not going as well as it should be. I need like, a daily math problem book so I don't lose what little math I've taken.

    i have some sort of disease where seeing numbers organized into anything that even kind of looks like an equation sends me into a panic

    i seriously hate math
    like we are the worst of enemies.

    beavotron on
  • Options
    John the SkrullJohn the Skrull Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I'm doing a bacholers in Science in this place. I'm studying Geology and Astrophysics at the moment.

    John the Skrull on
  • Options
    stimtokolosstimtokolos Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    If my lab coat has stains which I do not know the origin of on it, am I doing science right?

    stimtokolos on
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    If my lab coat has stains which I do not know the origin of on it, am I doing science right?
    Pretty much. They gave me a labcoat recently. I've become a bloody chemist. Although it's still beautiful and white. I'm tempted to colour it in a bit.

    Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    I Am Not A BearI Am Not A Bear Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I don't get a labcoat. I get a pair of hiking boots and a GPS.

    I Am Not A Bear on
  • Options
    stimtokolosstimtokolos Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I only know what one stain on my lab coat is, and that is because it looked like urine and I was determined to find out what it was, or who had peed on my lab coat.

    stimtokolos on
  • Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Mysst wrote: »
    tugga wrote: »
    Mysst wrote: »
    I would like to go into an actual science program but I'd have to catch up on so much math to be a physicist and I need to have a decent job sooner rather than 50.

    once youre in university all you need is college algebra than youre straight into calc courses
    man I'm pretty much in remedial math right now and it's not going as well as it should be. I need like, a daily math problem book so I don't lose what little math I've taken.

    Are you having trouble with all math? I had a terrible time with geometry and than later with linear algebra but most calculus was OK, and I've known people who are the exact opposite. The only thing that got me through were those study books with the extra problems, Schaums I think.

    Usagi on
  • Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    tugga wrote: »
    Mysst wrote: »
    tugga wrote: »
    Mysst wrote: »
    I would like to go into an actual science program but I'd have to catch up on so much math to be a physicist and I need to have a decent job sooner rather than 50.

    once youre in university all you need is college algebra than youre straight into calc courses
    man I'm pretty much in remedial math right now and it's not going as well as it should be. I need like, a daily math problem book so I don't lose what little math I've taken.

    thats what i mean by once youre in

    math really is an everyday thing and they recommend each of us engineering majors to try to take a math course every summer just so we stay in the right mindset
    I'm thinking about going to a uni after I bang out this associates at ITT, hopefully they'll accept the degree, or at the very least let me make up whatever soft classes they deem necessary.

    Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    stimtokolosstimtokolos Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I'm going to go to sleep so I can do science tomorrow. Good night science people.

    stimtokolos on
  • Options
    Cold Salmon and HatredCold Salmon and Hatred __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2008
    I'm a rocket scientist

    Cold Salmon and Hatred on
  • Options
    I Am Not A BearI Am Not A Bear Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    For the Saskatchewan Space Program? Aka. flatland rockets.

    I Am Not A Bear on
  • Options
    HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    beavotron wrote: »
    [it's not science unless you need a bunson burner and protective goggles to look at it
    That is just chemistry, and chemistry is closer to cooking than science.

    I will kick you square in the dick then pour a bottle of Hydrofluoric acid down your mouth.

    Heat is one of many ways to promote a chemical reaction, and in fact some reactions produce the antithesis of heat or will only work in a subzero environment.

    Hunter on
  • Options
    beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I'm a rocket scientist

    you know what makes me mad about the word rocket scientist?
    it's that stupid saying "well it's not rocket science alex you dumbass"
    my dumb friends say that saying wrong, they say "well it's not rocket surgery alex"
    and i just sort of stare at them for a few minutes wondering why the fuck i hang out with such idiots

    granted... they're engineers and are pretty smart
    they just don't know how to talk is all.

    beavotron on
  • Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited September 2008
    Hunter wrote: »
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    beavotron wrote: »
    [it's not science unless you need a bunson burner and protective goggles to look at it
    That is just chemistry, and chemistry is closer to cooking than science.

    I will kick you square in the dick then pour a bottle of Hydrofluoric acid down your mouth.

    Heat is one of many ways to promote a chemical reaction, and in fact some reactions produce the antithesis of heat or will only work in a subzero environment.

    I've said it a bunch of times but one of my favourite experiments was one where we took two room temperature white crystalline solids and mixed them to produce a liquid that was below 0 centigrade

    bongi on
  • Options
    J3pJ3p Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    beavotron wrote: »
    I'm a rocket scientist

    you know what makes me mad about the word rocket scientist?
    it's that stupid saying "well it's not rocket science alex you dumbass"
    my dumb friends say that saying wrong, they say "well it's not rocket surgery alex"
    and i just sort of stare at them for a few minutes wondering why the fuck i hang out with such idiots

    granted... they're engineers and are pretty smart
    they just don't know how to talk is all.

    Nooooo you see it is a little secondary joke because only people who aren't skilled in the head intelligence would say "rocket surgery" see it's a joke they're very intelligent and i think if you called one of them and said that you really appreciate them it would be a Nice Thing

    J3p on
    +./\ 50 ?. 50
  • Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    It's not brain science, Alex.

    ChicoBlue on
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    J3p wrote: »
    beavotron wrote: »
    I'm a rocket scientist

    you know what makes me mad about the word rocket scientist?
    it's that stupid saying "well it's not rocket science alex you dumbass"
    my dumb friends say that saying wrong, they say "well it's not rocket surgery alex"
    and i just sort of stare at them for a few minutes wondering why the fuck i hang out with such idiots

    granted... they're engineers and are pretty smart
    they just don't know how to talk is all.

    Nooooo you see it is a little secondary joke because only people who aren't skilled in the head intelligence would say "rocket surgery" see it's a joke they're very intelligent and i think if you called one of them and said that you really appreciate them it would be a Nice Thing
    Yeah, pretty much. I say Rocket Surgery, it's a play on a joke as in my group of friends we have a brain surgeon and somebody who works on jet engines.

    Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    J3p wrote: »
    beavotron wrote: »
    I'm a rocket scientist

    you know what makes me mad about the word rocket scientist?
    it's that stupid saying "well it's not rocket science alex you dumbass"
    my dumb friends say that saying wrong, they say "well it's not rocket surgery alex"
    and i just sort of stare at them for a few minutes wondering why the fuck i hang out with such idiots

    granted... they're engineers and are pretty smart
    they just don't know how to talk is all.

    Nooooo you see it is a little secondary joke because only people who aren't skilled in the head intelligence would say "rocket surgery" see it's a joke they're very intelligent and i think if you called one of them and said that you really appreciate them it would be a Nice Thing

    hahah i guess
    but it's one of those sayings that smart people would say ironically, but some dumb person would hear it and start using it

    like fucking "addicting"
    addicting is not a word, it's addictive

    i have heard my smart friends use the word addicting... and irregardless
    oh god... irregardless

    beavotron on
  • Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Addicting is a word.

    You should kick them in the balls for irregardless, though.

    ChicoBlue on
  • Options
    RockyRocky Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    So i'm at first year uni and I'm taking Calc and physics courses, i'm undeclared in the engineering school but I don't know if i want to transfer to the science college. Then again I was thinking about transferring to another College where they have Engineering-Physics which sounds like the coolest thing.

    Rocky on
    LOTRO: Hurindar Halimhar
    GW2: Hurindar
Sign In or Register to comment.