As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Next Terrorist Target: The House Of Mouse?

• sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Wren wrote: »
    man humanity has what, 20,000 years of evolution under its belt? aint nothing in the last 4000 thats gonna be right about the great beyond. these silly people in their robes and pajamas thinking they have it all figured out. just wait till they die and find out they should've been practicing druidism or learned how to speak chinese.

I learned to speak Chinese.

Does that qualify me for making shit up about the afterlife?

sarukun on
  • FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    robosaxd.jpg

oh shit 10,000 posts dedicated to ROBOSAX

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
    edited September 2008
    Fandyien wrote: »
    sarukun wrote: »
    Fandyien wrote: »
    I met a dude who looked me in the eyes and said we should stone prostitutes and adulterers

The appropriate response to this declaration is laughter.

Well, I was trying to be polite so I stifled my initial laughter

Then I realized that people who beleive stuff like this are genuinely frightening

That's why you gotta laugh.

They're not scary if you laugh.

Unless they're armed, then don't wait for him to finish, just run.

sarukun on
  • The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Wren wrote: »
    man humanity has what, 20,000 years of evolution under its belt? aint nothing in the last 4000 thats gonna be right about the great beyond. these silly people in their robes and pajamas thinking they have it all figured out. just wait till they die and find out they should've been practicing druidism or learned how to speak chinese.

I learned to speak Chinese.

Does that wualify me for making shit up about the afterlife?

Maybe you should have learned English while you were at it.

NO EDIT FOR YOU

The_Scarab on
  • MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Evander wrote: »
    arod_77 wrote: »
    So, no one wants me to lay down some scripture?

Preach it Eihud

Alright, so here it goes. This is all the Judaic interpretation, for the record.

Lets' start with Introductions. When the bible introduces Noah, he is reffered to as "a great man in his time", but when Avram/Avraham is introduced, he is called "A great man."

So, what's up with the qualifier on Noah? Well, the thing is, when god came to Noah, and said "Hey man, I'm gonna flood the entire world" Noah's response was "So, how big of a boat are we talking about?"

On the contrast, when God came to Abraham, and said "I'm going to destroy these two towns which are only full of known sinners anyway" Abraham's response was "What can I do to talk you out of this?"

Abraham was a great man because he was willing to stand up for what he knew was right (in this case, the preservation of Human life) EVEN in the face of God himself.

As long as you know what you are talking about, questioning authority is considered to be proper, and even the appropriate response at times, in Judaic cultures.

As an end note to this, let me briefly discuss the story of the binding of Isaac. You see, this story was the last time that God EVER spoke to Abraham, and that's because he messed up. When God told Abraham to kill his own Son, Abraham went and did it. He failed that test, and as a result his wife died, and God never spoke to him again. Not a pretty picture.

There's more I could get in to in the Talmud, but I figure some common biblical stories are good enough for now.
    you know, the isaac story makes a lot more sense from that point of view. the way I was taught, if god tells you to do stupid shit you go do it, and if he was just kidding he'll send someone down to let you know.

Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    judaism as a whole has a far more reasonable viewpoint of the same texts as christianity

i grew up being raised both catholic and jewish, and seeing the difference between interpretations of the same scripture is mind blowing

Pony on
  • EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Mysst wrote: »
    So, no one wants me to lay down some scripture?

Preach it Eihud

Alright, so here it goes. This is all the Judaic interpretation, for the record.

Lets' start with Introductions. When the bible introduces Noah, he is reffered to as "a great man in his time", but when Avram/Avraham is introduced, he is called "A great man."

So, what's up with the qualifier on Noah? Well, the thing is, when god came to Noah, and said "Hey man, I'm gonna flood the entire world" Noah's response was "So, how big of a boat are we talking about?"

On the contrast, when God came to Abraham, and said "I'm going to destroy these two towns which are only full of known sinners anyway" Abraham's response was "What can I do to talk you out of this?"

Abraham was a great man because he was willing to stand up for what he knew was right (in this case, the preservation of Human life) EVEN in the face of God himself.

As long as you know what you are talking about, questioning authority is considered to be proper, and even the appropriate response at times, in Judaic cultures.

As an end note to this, let me briefly discuss the story of the binding of Isaac. You see, this story was the last time that God EVER spoke to Abraham, and that's because he messed up. When God told Abraham to kill his own Son, Abraham went and did it. He failed that test, and as a result his wife died, and God never spoke to him again. Not a pretty picture.

There's more I could get in to in the Talmud, but I figure some common biblical stories are good enough for now.
    you know, the isaac story makes a lot more sense from that point of view. the way I was taught, if god tells you to do stupid shit you go do it, and if he was just kidding he'll send someone down to let you know.

Exactly.

At the end, God gives him a consolation prize for his devotion, but it's pretty clear that he didn't do what he really should have done.

Evander on
    edited September 2008
    Pony wrote: »
    judaism as a whole has a far more reasonable viewpoint of the same texts as christianity

i grew up being raised both catholic and jewish, and seeing the difference between interpretations of the same scripture is mind blowing

I love (and agree with) Lewis Black's take on the topic of Christians trying to interpret the Old Testament.

Seriously, though, I want to know why christians hate gays, but eat shellfish.

Evander on
  • WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    everybody kaballah!

Weaver on
  • Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Gays don't taste good.

Clint Eastwood on
  • The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    If God can create an entire universe, and a planet. Then why doesn't he just go make more and stop fucking shit up for us.

I think a century of slowly phasing him out of our friendship circle should get the message across.

'Hey guys, how are you doin? Need a miracle'

'Did you hear something Bob?'

'Guys cmon. cmon you guys'

'Nah nothin, must have been one of our half mouse half chicken hybrids on the loose again'

'oh for fucks sake now you're just rubbing it in'

The_Scarab on
    edited September 2008

I love (and agree with) Lewis Black's take on the topic of Christians trying to interpret the Old Testament.

Seriously, though, I want to know why christians hate gays, but eat shellfish.

Tradition, ignorance, and good old fashioned malevolent hatred.

sarukun on
    edited September 2008
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    If God can create an entire universe, and a planet. Then why doesn't he just go make more and stop fucking shit up for us.

I think a century of slowly phasing him out of our friendship circle should get the message across.

'Nah nothin, must have been one of our half mouse half chicken hybrids on the loose again'

You seem to be conflating God with the Church.

That right there is the same mistake fundamentalists make.

sarukun on
  • sdrawkcaB emaNsdrawkcaB emaN regular
    edited September 2008
    Meissnerd wrote: »
    I think the argument is more over what the fundamentals are

ka-ding

i'm a pretty religious dude

but my religion also doesn't call upon me to be a fuckle to people

so there you go

oh what the fuck I thought it was a permaban

sdrawkcaB emaN on
  • MeissnerdMeissnerd Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    The problem isn't religion. The problem is that certain religions villify the act of questioning authority.

Or the wrong authority!

Like that in bit in Jesus Camp where the kids pray for cardboard cut out George Bush.

But that's exactly it.

Christianity stresses that authority knows what is best for you, and you should follow unquestioningly.

I could give you differences in biblical interpretations between Jews and Christians which would make this all clear, but I don't want to bore anyone.

The point is, a bunch of good Christian kids are told to worship a cardboard cut out, they just ask "for how long"?

There are a lot of factors that can change it, chiefly being interpretation. And like you I don't want to bore anyone :lol:

Meissnerd on
    edited September 2008
    The_Scarab wrote: »

You see, that's esentially what the Jewish view is already.

Evander on
  • BibbleBibble __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2008
    im a strong adherant of fucklism

Bibble on
    2jezcsmjpg.gif
  • WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    maybe we created ourselves. 10,000 years from now we go back in time to the earliest form of earth and plant the seeds of life.

the occasional dick intern at the time machine lab goes to various eras of human civilization and fucks with us by creating god mythos'

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
    edited September 2008
    The problem isn't religion. The problem is that certain religions villify the act of questioning authority.

Or the wrong authority!

Like that in bit in Jesus Camp where the kids pray for cardboard cut out George Bush.

But that's exactly it.

Christianity stresses that authority knows what is best for you, and you should follow unquestioningly.

I could give you differences in biblical interpretations between Jews and Christians which would make this all clear, but I don't want to bore anyone.

The point is, a bunch of good Christian kids are told to worship a cardboard cut out, they just ask "for how long"?

There are a lot of factors that can change it, chiefly being interpretation. And like you I don't want to bore anyone :lol:

Interpretation from whom?

Evander on
    edited September 2008
    I don't remember ever being taught to never use my brain and give the church a blank check.

sarukun on
    edited September 2008
    We should go raise an army to take the holy land back from the heathen Salah al-Dīn Yusuf ibn Ayyub

Weaver on
    edited September 2008
    trentsteel wrote: »
    Air wrote: »
    Its a strange debate-whether religion does more harm than good.

I don't know.

Christianity sucks, Islam sucks even more. Buddhism is pretty cool I guess. The end.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igIBSeaJ9YI

wow

I did not know that stuff

Buddhism just lost all kinds of cool in my books.

ahem

quotes from the dalai lama

"Of course, abortion, from a Buddhist viewpoint, is an act of killing and is negative, generally speaking. But it depends on the circumstances. If the birth will create serious problems for the parent, these are cases where there can be an exception. I think abortion should be approved or disapproved according to each circumstance"

"If someone comes to me and asks whether homosexuality is okay or not, I will ask 'What is your companion's opinion?'. If you both agree, then I think I would say 'if two males or two females voluntarily agree to have mutual satisfaction without further implication of harming others, then it is okay'"

he stated that his previous viewpoints on homosexuality and other non-reproductive sexual acts are potentially incorrect and he has "a willingness to consider the possibility that some of the teachings may be specific to a particular cultural and historic context"

but i mean far be it of a man to admit he's wrong or that opinions and viewpoints should change over time

in my opinion it makes the dalai lama even a bigger man to admit that he is wrong about something or that some of the more dogmatic teachings should be subject to individual analysis and context.

Pony on
  • bongibongi regular
    edited September 2008
    i think islam needs a new marketing team because their current strategy is not doing much to help their brand image

bongi on
    edited September 2008
    "a willingness to consider the possibility that some of the teachings may be specific to a particular cultural and historic context"

Man, every religion needs a clause in their book, like a disclaimer at the front that says basically this.

sarukun on
    edited September 2008
    I'd be pissed as all hell if I lived in a place where it was 100+ degrees year round

Weaver on
    edited September 2008
    im gay because i wanna harm others, personally

Bibble on
    2jezcsmjpg.gif
    edited September 2008
    I think the argument is more over what the fundamentals are

ka-ding

i'm a pretty religious dude

but my religion also doesn't call upon me to be a fuckle to people

so there you go

oh what the fuck I thought it was a permaban

that's surprising

et tu, backwards name?

Pony on
    edited September 2008

Or the wrong authority!

But that's exactly it.

Interpretation from whom?

Worshippers, different sects (Lutherans, Catholics etc.) Regarding who has authority. I'm really not familiar with Jewish beliefs but I know there are a lot of differences between Christian denominations. It also doesn't help when people take their political beliefs and they try to meld them into their interpretation of what the bible says.

Meissnerd on
    edited September 2008
    The Religious Right needs to be blugeoned with it's own crucifix.

sarukun on
    edited September 2008
    difference in jewish religious thought is generally speaking a factor of what rabbis you hold in esteemed authority and shit

judaism is all about what scholarly teachings and schools of thought and interpretations you choose to adhere to. it's not as black and white as are you reform or orthodox, it's complicated and nuanced and an issue of what rabbinical authority and teachings, if any, you consider legitimate.

Pony on
    edited September 2008
    oh pony is jewish now

Bibble on
    2jezcsmjpg.gif
    edited September 2008
    Bibble wrote: »
    oh pony is jewish now

Cuz only Jewish people know anything at all about Judaism.

sarukun on
    edited September 2008
    difference in jewish religious thought is generally speaking a factor of what rabbis you hold in esteemed authority and shit

judaism is all about what scholarly teachings and schools of thought and interpretations you choose to adhere to. it's not as black and white as are you reform or orthodox, it's complicated and nuanced and an issue of what rabbinical authority and teachings, if any, you consider legitimate.

I could replace the word rabbi with christian denomination, and it would explain the same thing for christianity

Meissnerd on
    edited September 2008
    well, my mom's side of the family is jewish and catholic.

my mother's mother is a jew, which according to jewish maternal heredity, makes me jewish i suppose

nonetheless, i was educated as a jew when i was a kid in addition to going to catholic school, because my mom believed that i should get a "balanced" viewpoint on the subjects

Pony on
  • ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    "a willingness to consider the possibility that some of the teachings may be specific to a particular cultural and historic context"

Man, every religion needs a clause in their book, like a disclaimer at the front that says basically this.

I'll bet most of them do they are just ignored.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
    edited September 2008
    pony is everything

psychopath, sane man

murderer, keeper of justice

buddhist, catholic, jew

Bibble on
    2jezcsmjpg.gif
    edited September 2008
    Jewish/Catholic Families are the best because you get Christmas AND a bar mitzvah.

sarukun on
    edited September 2008

I could replace the word rabbi with christian denomination, and it would explain the same thing for christianity

the primary difference between the two is that different jewish schools of thought usually actually link back to real rabbis who have done real study

instead of a charming man in a nice suit with great hair smacking people in the forehead saying he has magic powers

i mean that sort of thing does happen in judaism, weirdo personality cults and claims of mystical powers happen too but are waaaaaaaaaay less common per capita, because most of the time to get any sort of religious following in judaism you can't just claim you have been given a vision from god, you have to show off credentials and say "i spent this much time in this school and received education from this group of rabbis" etc.

Pony on
    edited September 2008
    Butters wrote: »

I'll bet most of them do they are just ignored.

I doubt it. It's not like an easter egg for the people who can actually do close reading.

sarukun on
    edited September 2008
    Jewish/Catholic Families are the best because you get Christmas AND a bar mitzvah.

a couple of years ago, due to a fluke of the calendar the first day of hannukah and christmas day were the same day

so my grandparents decided "fuck it we'll rent a hall and have the entire family over for one thing"

holy shit that was a terrible idea.

Pony on