As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

How to start a website!

templewulftemplewulf The Team ChumpUSARegistered User regular
All right, guys, I have to admit something embarrassing. I'm pretty well-versed in technology. I've been writing html, javascript, CSS, C++, C#, Java, etc. for years. I program medical software for a living.

But...

I've never set up my own website! I've toyed with angelfire, Google Sites and others over the years, but I've never opened one with my own domain name and AdSense and all the accoutrements of a professional site.

So, what can you suggest for me, PA? Here are my major questions / requests:
  1. Where should I register a domain name?
  2. Where should I buy web space? Is there a free web space server that allows AdSense / other advertisements?
  3. What kinds of features should I look for? Ideally, I'd like PHP, but I need at least CSS and SSI.
  4. Do some providers have better reputations for security and robustness? Who should I avoid?
  5. I use notepad & CSS for designing my sites. What do professionals use? What features differentiate that from my DIY approach?

If you can amend my list to include any prepations I've forgotten, or if you care to share your experience in setting up your own site, please discuss!

Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
templewulf on

• Options
    CmdPromptCmdPrompt Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    1. I'm a fan of Namecheap, or if you just need one domain, see #2.
    2. I'd recommend buying actual web hosting, rather than trying to find a free host that meets all of your needs and doesn't suck. I use AN Hosting, because 500GB of storage + 5TB of bandwidth + free domain for $7 bucks a month, with 3 months free if you use a code? Don't mind if I do.
    3. CSS isn't something that requires anything server-side. In any case, decent paid webhosts will have the usual span of PHP, Perl, MySQL, etc.
    4. I've heard bad tings about DreamHost.
    5. I use Notepad++, which has integrated FTP synchronization and syntax highlighting. I believe most people use a generic text editor, and CSS is a must in modern web-design.

Besides Notepad++, the programs I've used for doing web stuff are: FileZilla as my FTP client, Strawberry Perl to test Perl scripts locally on Windows, and CodeIgniter as my PHP Model-View-Controller framework.

CmdPrompt on
    GxewS.png
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I use dreamhost, and they've been okay. I'm considering dropping them not becuase i don't like them, but because I don't need hosting anymore, I just don't use it ever.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    CmdPrompt wrote: »
    3. CSS isn't something that requires anything server-side.

You would be surprised at the kind of restrictions certain providers impose. A few years ago, I tried to make a website for a local business owner, but his provider sucked pretty hard. You couldn't so much as upload a file unless it was well-formed HTML. Accidentally miss a bracket? We reject your file! Good luck figuring out what you actually did wrong!

I assume this isn't the case with the majority of providers, but I had to make certain there weren't more than one group of retards to watch out for. :lol:

Speaking of retards, do you have any links to reviews on why Dreamhost is bad? I'm just trying to figure out what metrics to judge providers by.

I do appreciate the rest of your list, though. I've never heard of namecheap. I'm expecting to make my own website shortly after I set up one for my friend's business. Would it be possible to share space for both sites on the same account at AN Hosting with two different domain registrations at namecheap? Would it be easiest just to set up two separate AN Hosting accounts?

Do they have any ready-made site packages? I can probably figure out how to set up something like the features on Sites.Google.Com, but if I don't have to, that'd be pretty keen.

templewulf on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Speaking of retards, do you have any links to reviews on why Dreamhost is bad? I'm just trying to figure out what metrics to judge providers by.
    http://www.upstartblogger.com/why-dreamhost-sucks. There are many stories of Dreamhost being terrible if you poke around on the internet.
    . Would it be possible to share space for both sites on the same account at AN Hosting with two different domain registrations at namecheap? Would it be easiest just to set up two separate AN Hosting accounts?
    Yes, and no.
    Do they have any ready-made site packages?
    I don't believe so.

CmdPrompt on
    GxewS.png
  • Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    CmdPrompt wrote: »
    http://www.upstartblogger.com/why-dreamhost-sucks. There are many stories of Dreamhost being terrible if you poke around on the internet.
    Wow, I don't think I could have asked for a better cite.

Hmm...what about blog software? I've always done that kind of thing myself, but I'd rather have a popular package instead of reinventing the wheel this time. Care to recommend anything?

templewulf on
  • Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    This is probably the best thread for this question without making a new one, which I hate doing.

Would an older pc, Althlon XP 3000+, 2gig Ram, about 300gb HDD, be good enough to turn into a small server for playing around on and experimenting with?

And if so, what should I install on it?

MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Hmm...what about blog software?
    I believe AN Hosting also includes the WordPress, but I don't have any experience with blog software, so I can't tell you if that's a good choice or not.
    MagicPrime wrote: »
    This is probably the best thread for this question without making a new one, which I hate doing.

Would an older pc, Althlon XP 3000+, 2gig Ram, about 300gb HDD, be good enough to turn into a small server for playing around on and experimenting with?

And if so, what should I install on it?

Probably:
    http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp.html
    Though I don't have experience with it either.

CmdPrompt on
    GxewS.png