As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

DEXTER - Season 7 finale'd! Spoiler for those who haven't caught up. 1 season left!

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    Gay Guy Immediately Dies is a cliche all on its own

• KaplarKaplar On Google MapsRegistered User regular
    neville wrote: »
    Lars wrote: »
    I get the impression that they basically went "Hey, we're ending the show in two years, let's throw all our ideas in while we have time!"
    Sirko easily could have handled a season himself, but instead they kill him off 70% or so into the season and all related plots basically dead-end.
    I also could totally see the "Phantom" (burning guy) having been originally pitched as a season-long villain whose identity was a mystery (like how the Ice Truck Killer started).
    I wouldn't be surprised if Creepy Intern had been intended for a bigger role either (probably not as a Big Bad, though).

I just hope they used this season as the melting pot of ideas because they want to keep the final season concise and on-message.

I did really enjoy a lot of it up until the end though. I'm not very good at ranking seasons and such, but overall I guess I'd place it somewhere in the middle.
    "Welp, I'm leaving though... these enchiladas won't make themselves".

:|
    Racist.

• Man of the WavesMan of the Waves Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    Gay Guy Immediately Dies is a cliche all on its own

I can't even recall the conclusion of that story line.

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    So... Season 8 has started.

And things are bit rough for one particular character...

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • DarricDarric Santa MonicaRegistered User regular
    I made a Vine about it:

• wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    So on a whim I decided to get the Marvel Dexter comic that finally came out last week after nearly a year of delays. Overall it was good and although it follows the book continuity it was friendly for show viewers only as well.
    Besides Dex the only series regulars to show up were Rita and Debra. No sign of Cody or Astor but I can see not including them as their "budding serial killers" book subplot would drag down the comic. No sign of wheelchair bound Doakes either. There may have been a few more book only characters to show up but I missed them. I've only read books 1,2 and 4 so I don't know where the comic story stands in the 6 book total cannon.

I think the comic series is 5 issues total and the next issue doesn't come out till late August so hopefully Jeff Lindsay won't delay the series anymore. He should be done with the seventh Dexter book by now.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • YoSoyTheWalrusYoSoyTheWalrus Registered User regular
    It's good to see the actress who plays Debra get out of her acting range a bit. Instead of crying when she is upset or happy or angry, now we know she can also cry when she is high. What else will she cry for?! Let's tune in.

tumblr_mvlywyLVys1qigwg9o1_250.png
  • Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Am the only person who thinks

NEWEST SEASON SPOILERS
    That the old lady is probably the one coercing the killers

I mean, I'm afraid it seems to obvious though.

• THESPOOKYTHESPOOKY papa! Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    Man

This show is a fucking shadow of its former self

@Raijin Quickfoot my friends and I made this guess as soon as she appeared onscreen, I'm hoping it isn't that simple. But after season 6....

THESPOOKY on
    d4753b065e9d63cc25203f06160a1cd1.png
    It's the least subtle show on television. I'll be surprised if they do anything else

• LarlarLarlar consecutive normal brunches Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Jennifer Carpenter continues to shine as the one and only redeeming thing this show still has left.

iwantanswers3.png
    Am the only person who thinks

NEWEST SEASON SPOILERS
    That the old lady is probably the one coercing the killers

I mean, I'm afraid it seems to obvious though.

No, you're spot on. This show doesn't know how to be subtle.

iwantanswers3.png
  • DarricDarric Santa MonicaRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I mean, this could play out in an interesting way ... but I've basically lost all faith in this show at this point, so probably not?

Look guys it's the last season. Let's hope they just go apeshit at the end.

• LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    I am expecting dexter to literally battle his Dark passenger this season

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    I'd be pretty happy if Dexter gets caught.

I think I'd be happy with that resolution.

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    Dexter is a completely unsympathetic character. Which is fine, really it is. The problem is that the show doesn't seem to realise that.

I used to be able to sympathize with him in seasons 1-3.

But now... Eh...

• joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    A big problem that has been going unaddressed for several seasons now is that Dexter has been actually killing people way outside the code quite frequently

The code is for killers, yes, but they keep forgetting it's for killers who the justice system either can't touch or has failed to remove from society

So Dexter keeps trying to compete with the cops to kill someone before they catch him, and while it's true that he has a valid code reason to kill before the murderer is caught this season (#1 rule: don't get caught, and the lady has a metric buttload of shit that would be bad for Dexter if it came out), it still makes it really hard to root for him

But in the past, that reason has sometimes not even been present a little bit, he just wanted the satisfaction of killing them before they got caught by the cops, which is like

What

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I really, really hate Deb this season.

Like...really.

Langly wrote: »
    I am expecting dexter to literally battle his Dark passenger this season

Is it wrong to be a little sad that Louis died before he could rope Dexter into a D&D character creation session that gives birth to his fantasy character, The Drow Passenger?

iwantanswers3.png
    I really, really hate Deb this season.

Like...really.

I agreed this the first time I saw it, and I went to do it again just now. I can't watch this show with other people any more because I spend the whole time loudly mocking Deb.

I miss Doakes. He was the best.

I wasn't sure this final season would actually be worse than Season 6, but then we had that aging and face-matching software scene to seal the deal.

iwantanswers3.png
  • LarsLars Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Season 7 showed real promise...
    ...until they went and killed off the season's primary antagonist several episodes before the finale, leaving some case about a pyromaniac and friggin' LaGuerta to pick up the slack.

Man, Isaak Sirko was great.

Come to think of it, Season 6 was doing okay until...(Season 6 & 7 spoilers)
    ...they killed off Brother Sam, which happened much earlier in the season than Sirko's death in 7.

Edit: Also, there's only like three episodes left, so I guess the odds that we will actually see something like...
    ...Ghost Doakes is not looking so good, despite fans having asked for it for years (especially after they did Ghost Rudy).

Lars on
  • NogginNoggin Registered User regular
    This last season is increasingly painful. That they would even hint at an ending where
    dexter and hannah run off together makes it feel like this is all some sick joke.

It was bad enough they let her ruin last season.

Battletag: Noggin#1936
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Larlar wrote: »
    I wasn't sure this final season would actually be worse than Season 6, but then we had that aging and face-matching software scene to seal the deal.

Here is your catharsis: (SPOILERS for Breaking Bad's latest episode)
    ryGn6Xy.jpg

and also this (SPOILERS for this last episode)

joshofalltrades on
    Outstanding.

iwantanswers3.png
    The last hope this season had was for the killer to be someone really interesting and they completely blew that.

• THESPOOKYTHESPOOKY papa! Registered User regular
    That fucking ghost gets me every time.

d4753b065e9d63cc25203f06160a1cd1.png
  • KroenenKroenen Registered User regular
    I guess there was no episode this week...? Weird.

I just hope it ends before Breaking Bad. If its the same day, I'm still watching Dexter first.

• NogginNoggin Registered User regular
    Welp, the series finale is this weekend.

Looking back over the season, here's what I expect:
    R2wpxTH.png

Battletag: Noggin#1936
    You're overconfident

edited September 2013
    I'm finishing it just to say I finished it but watching this show is physically wearisome now

Invisible force field? He's good at this

joshofalltrades on
    Before the recent season of True Blood ended, one Sunday night I asked my gf which show she wanted to watch first and she said "the good show." Then we watched True Blood.

Think about that, Dexter. I hope you're happy.

iwantanswers3.png
    I always want to turn it off before the last episode recap is over

I don't know why I kept doing this to myself for so long

Larlar wrote: »
    Before the recent season of True Blood ended, one Sunday night I asked my gf which show she wanted to watch first and she said "the good show." Then we watched True Blood.

Think about that, Dexter. I hope you're happy.

Dexter is ending so I doubt they care.

• LarsLars Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    Well now. The show's over.
    Masuka's daughter? Irrelevant. She wasn't even in the finale. (Heck, now that I think about it, I don't think Masuka himself was in the finale!)
    Batista's sister? I think she got a short scene, but was still irrelevant (and I still want to know what happened to the irish nanny).
    Rita, Astor, Cody? I don't think they even got mentioned (despite long flashbacks to Harrison's birth that weirdly focused on Debra for some reason).
    Quinn? Irrelevant. Yeah, he was still in the episode, but that didn't make him relevant.
    Matthews? Apparently doesn't know shit.
    Harrison's bloody stuffed toy that links Dexter to a murder? Never mentioned again.
    Primary baddies? Dexter stabs one with a pen while on camera, the other falls asleep on a bus.
    And most importantly, there was no Ghost Doakes.

Also I never much cared for Hannah (would have rather seen Lumen) and wasn't really invested in her resolution (other than thinking she was basically a different character compared to last season).

Overall, I think my dvd collection is stopping with Season 5. That'll deal with the cliffhanger of Season 4 and ends on the "Wishes are for children" line which at least caps things off better than any of the following seasons.

Lars on
    *ahem*

hahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

edited September 2013
    Langly on