As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

NHL 2006/2007 Season

chuck steakchuck steak Registered User regular
edited March 2007 in Debate and/or Discourse
So the new season starts tomorrow (with a double header on TSN no less) and I for one am rather excited. Saturdays just aren't the same without Hockey Night in Canada.

Anyways, what teams are you liking this year? Being Canadian, I naturally have high hopes for all Canadian teams. Even though the Oilers are a bit of a shell of what they were at the end of last season, I still think they could do very well this year (at least better than barely making the playoffs). And hopefully with Luongo the Canucks can finally be competative (but I doubt it). The Leafs always suck so no point even mentioning them :P.

Well, hopefully there are enough hockey fans kicking about to keep this thing afloat throughout the season.

chuck steak on

• Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Considering the Canucks were doing pretty well last year until Cloutier left, {insert rumour about hit-and-run incident here}, I think they could do well this year with the new goalie. It'll be interesting to see, at least.

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    saggiosaggio Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Luongo! Luongo! Luongo!

The Canucks will take the cup next season, I'm pretty sure. This season...I'd say that they get knocked out in the second round.

saggio on
    3DS: 0232-9436-6893
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Oh hey, I was thinking of making this thread. Anyhow.

I think there's alot of interesting stuff to consider with the new season. Whether it's Charles Wang's insanity: Fifteen year contract? For Rick Motherfucking Dipietro???? Or the Rookie of the Year chase. Malkin, Penner,and some others have a shot.

Out West, there are some big changes to the traditional powerhouses from the 90s and early 2000s. Detroit, Colorado, and Dallas are all on the downward slope.

Detroit loses Shanahan and Yzerman, and hires old, and extremely flakey Dominic Hasek as its goalie. They'll probably make the playoffs, but I dont expect much from them really.

Colarado is a shell of its former glory. They loose Taguay, which is a big hit up front, as well as loosing Blake on the defence. Jose Theodore is a big question mark in goal too. He may have been a one year wonder in his Vezina season in Montreal. Plus, he's had all kinds of family distractions, with people getting arrested and so on. Burnaby Joe may well miss the play offs for the first time in a long time, maybe since the team left Quebec.

Dallas, well, Turco just cant seem to win in the play offs, and they aren't so hot up front anymore either, with Arnott gone to Nashville. Modano being replaced as captain while still on the team sends up huge red flags. Thats always a sign of an impending disaster in my mind. I don't see them going anywhere at all.

Minesota is vastly improved up front, and should make the playoffs. Calgary is going to be even better with Tanguay helping the scoring and Sutter moving upstairs to GM. Edmonton has amazing forwards, but mediocre defense and goaltending. Nashville is going to be strong again too, especially with Arnott joining their forward corps.

San Jose and Anaheim are powerhouses, and good bets for the Cup. Anaheim's new uniforms suck though. LA is rebuilding, and not going to do anything. Theres a reason Crawford and Cloutier were moved out of Vancouver. Phoenix isn't going anywhere either.

My Canucks are going to be hard pressed to make the playoffs, but Luongo will be entertaining at least, and the Sedin twins have arrived as premier players. If any of the Sedins, Naslund, Ohlund or Luongo get hurt for any length of time, we're fucked.

I'll do my thoughts on the East later.

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    bsjezz wrote:
    Considering the Canucks were doing pretty well last year until Cloutier left, {insert rumour about hit-and-run incident here}, I think they could do well this year with the new goalie. It'll be interesting to see, at least.

Oh shit, not that rumor. That was so out of hand, the Vancouver police actually made a public statement to say it was a bunch of shit, which is really an unheard of thing for them to do.

Corvus on
  • Options
    SerpentSerpent Sometimes Vancouver, BC, sometimes Brisbane, QLDRegistered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I'm really not sure about Vancouver. the team has alot of new players, lost some old ones, AND has a new coach. It's too many changes for me to say how it all will 'click'.

If they had kept crawfard i'd be willing to make a guess...

Serpent on
  • Options
    GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I just hope my Bruins win a few games. I mean, like, 3 or 4.

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
  • Options
    ProtoProto Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Thank god the canadiens ditched Ribeiro. Dallas you are suckers.

Go Habs Go!

Proto on
    and her knees up on the glove compartment
    took out her barrettes and her hair spilled out like rootbeer
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Corvus wrote:
    I think there's alot of interesting stuff to consider with the new season. Whether it's Charles Wang's insanity: Fifteen year contract? For Rick Motherfucking Dipietro????

no doubt, first they make the back up goalie the gm, and now this shit. the islanders are fucked for a long time to come i think.
    Out West, there are some big changes to the traditional powerhouses from the 90s and early 2000s. Detroit, Colorado, and Dallas are all on the downward slope.

Detroit loses Shanahan and Yzerman, and hires old, and extremely flakey Dominic Hasek as its goalie. They'll probably make the playoffs, but I dont expect much from them really.

i've always been a huge detroit fan, and i'm interested to see how things pan out for them. they deffinitely won't dominate the league again this year, but as long as they don't get upset in the first round again i'll be happy. i really like hasek though, hopefully he can perform this year. i haven't paid much attention to pre-season going ons... what happened to shanahan?

chuck steak on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Shanny went to the Rangers. Hasek, well, yeah, he's good, when he feels like playing. But his mind seems to be about as fragile as his body, and the man is 41.

Corvus on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    well damn... who did they get for shanny?

and yeah, flakey sums Hasek up pretty well.

chuck steak on
  • Options
    Mr Slippy FistMr Slippy Fist Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    This thread makes me very sad that I don't get OLN, or whatever that channel is calling itself nowadays. :cry:

And also that the NHL didn't just say, "Yes, ESPN, we'll do anything for you to carry our games. Even pay you."

Mr Slippy Fist on
    Yes, I hate my username and wish I could sign up with a new one. Registration sucks.
  • Options
    precisionkprecisionk Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I am routing and believe Minnesota has a great shot this year of going the distance. With all the off-season offense they have obtained, under Gaborik as well under the guidance of Jock Lemaire, they have it all.

precisionk on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    well damn... who did they get for shanny?

and yeah, flakey sums Hasek up pretty well.

He was a UFA (unrestricted Free Agent). They got, well, nothing.

Corvus on
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited October 2006
    So, what is happening with the NHL and television? I haven't seen ads for the new season anywhere. It's going to be on TV, right?

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    Mr Slippy FistMr Slippy Fist Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Elkamil wrote:
    So, what is happening with the NHL and television? I haven't seen ads for the new season anywhere. It's going to be on TV, right?
    ESPN's article on the contract seems to indicate that the TV contract with Outdoor Life was for 2 years with an option to make it 6, so that's where the NHL would be again this year. Plus I'd assume the random assortment of games towards the end of the year and playoffs on NBC like last year. So probably same as last year. I've not heard of anything that would be different.

Edit: Just speaking from a US point of view. I don't know how the TV stuff is set up in Canada.

Mr Slippy Fist on
    Yes, I hate my username and wish I could sign up with a new one. Registration sucks.
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited October 2006
    CBC has Hockey Night In Canada, of course. Now and forever.

I'm looking forward to actually going to some Flames games this year as I have a real job now. My boss is a die-hard Oilers fan. Fun fun.

Nova_C on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    The NHL, rather stupidly, is on OLN in the States, which I think has changed its name to Versus. Why they didn't just give ESPN whatever terms they wanted is beyond me.

In Canada, we have national coverage every week on TSN, and every saturday night theres the normal doubleheader on Hockey Night in Canada on CBC. I think the Leafs are on TSN in Ontario as their regional carrier

Then most other Canadian teams has regional deals with Sportsnet, which is the other Canadian all sports channel which is broken up into regional feeds (Sportsnet East, Ontario, West, and Pacific). The Canucks, for example, are on Sportsnest Pacific.

If you guys in the states have Sattelite, perhaps you can pick up TSN or Sportsnet down there, or CBC .

Corvus on
  • Options
    elevatureelevature Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I really hope the Leafs make the playoffs this year. It'll all come down to Raycroft and if he can play like he did in his rookie season.

Really I'm just excited to see Peca as a Leaf, I've liked him forever.

elevature on
  • Options
    The Green Eyed MonsterThe Green Eyed Monster i blame hip hop Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    elevature wrote:
    I really hope the Leafs make the playoffs this year. It'll all come down to Raycroft and if he can play like he did in his rookie season.

Raycroft is a joke. Good luck with that.

I'm rooting for the Sharks, they should be all right. They desperately need forward depth, although Mike Grier helps a ton in that department, and then it would really help to get more than 3 good defensemen, we'll see how that goes. Also, I'm beyond pissed at Vesa "The Incredible Folding Man" Toskala. I will not believe a word of hype said about this team as long as that guy is in the nets.

The Green Eyed Monster on
  • Options
    TheGreat2ndTheGreat2nd Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Wow, I haven't watched hockey in a long while.
    Last year, I know my Penguins finished last.
    What ever happened to poor Lemiuex and my Penguins?
    Doesn't matter though, they'll probably get disenfranchised soon...

Go Rangers!
    ... :lol:

TheGreat2nd on
    BinghamtonUniversity.png
    I'm Jacob Wilson. | facebook | thegreat2nd | [url="aim:goim?screenname=TheGreatSecond&message=Hello+from+the+Penny+Arcade+Forums!"]aim[/url]
  • Options
    MesanixtaMesanixta Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    We get the Predators on FSN here in Nashville. I can't recall them ever not airing a game. We have a really good commentary tandem as well in Terry Crisp and Pete Weber. I'm so psyched about this season; it looks like it's going to be the best one in Nashville history. Now if we can just get more corporate support and fill that pesky lower bowl :)
    I'm rooting for the Sharks, they should be all right. They desperately need forward depth, although Mike Grier helps a ton in that department, and then it would really help to get more than 3 good defensemen, we'll see how that goes. Also, I'm beyond pissed at Vesa "The Incredible Folding Man" Toskala. I will not believe a word of hype said about this team as long as that guy is in the nets.

The only time I've seen Toskala play was against the Preds last playoffs and he was incredible. My wife was cursing him out constantly every game, heh. If you keep having goaltending like that then you guys will be a big powerhouse this season IMO. I hope we don't meet you in the first round again :oops:

*crosses fingers* Stay healthy Vokoun, pleeeeeease.

Mesanixta on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    celery77 wrote:
    elevature wrote:

Raycroft is a joke. Good luck with that.

Toskala is likely to be traded. He has a high trade value, and Nabakov has a higher salary (harder to trade in the salary cap world) and a no-trade clause in his contact.

I don't really see the Sharks as thin up front. They've got two quality scoring lines and a decent third line. They've got some good young players like Mihalek and Bernier there.

Also, the new NHL Ad campaign is awesome! So much better than that Art of War bullshit from last year.

"Honey, why is Peter Forsberg in our bed?"
    :D

Corvus on
  • Options
    edited October 2006

Go Rangers!

Oh hey, the Pens just got sold to the RIM founder. Pitsburgh better poney up for a new stadium, or he's going to do his damndest to move them to Hamilton.

Mario was just sticking around to try and get his money out of the franchise. He only went into ownership there because they owed him $35 Million in deffered salary.

Corvus on
  • Options
    The Green Eyed MonsterThe Green Eyed Monster i blame hip hop Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Corvus wrote:
    Toskala is likely to be traded. He has a high trade value, and Nabakov has a higher salary (harder to trade in the salary cap world) and a no-trade clause in his contact.

I don't really see the Sharks as thin up front. They've got two quality scoring lines and a decent third line. They've got some good young players like Mihalek and Bernier there.
    I dunno how to feel about that -- hockey sense dictates that Nabokov is the better goalie -- more talented, better fundamentals, better head on his shoulders -- but the problem is that Ron Wilson has the team playing like totaly shit in front of him, at least defensively, so all his fundamentals, his immaculate rebound control, his ridiculously beautiful positioning and textbook saves are completely negated by the mess that goes on around him. In steps Toskala, completely onorthodox, relying completely on athleticism and instinct, and our team looks good again. The problem is that his melt-down against the Edmonton Oilers was one of the worst I've seen in my life, so I'm not trusting him with anything.

Also, Nils Ekman is one of the shittiest players I've seen pull regular ice-time in a minute. He got exposed bad in the last playoffs, and thank god, because we've moved away from him. Marleau is the best second-line center in the league, but he doesn't have a winger. Do we have a third-line center? I don't think we have a third-line center. Mark Smith is squarely fourth-line material, A++ fourth-line material, but fourth-line all the same. Marcel Goc is a poor-man's second-line center, let's not get it twisted. And then winger depth was addressed a little over the summer I suppose, but still not good.

Anyway, as long as Ron Wilson is behind the bench, I don't seriously expect this team to contend for the Cup any time soon.

The Green Eyed Monster on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    "Honey, why is Peter Forsberg in our bed?"

that is such an awsome commercial.

the Leafs looked pretty decent tonight, and Raycroft was mostly solid. he definitely made some nice saves. and it was a damn fine game overall.

chuck steak on
  • Options
    TheGreat2ndTheGreat2nd Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Corvus wrote:

Go Rangers!

Oh hey, the Pens just got sold to the RIM founder. Pitsburgh better poney up for a new stadium, or he's going to do his damndest to move them to Hamilton.

Mario was just sticking around to try and get his money out of the franchise. He only went into ownership there because they owed him $35 Million in deffered salary.
    The Hamilton Penguins?
    POR QUEEEE D:

TheGreat2nd on
    BinghamtonUniversity.png
    I'm Jacob Wilson. | facebook | thegreat2nd | [url="aim:goim?screenname=TheGreatSecond&message=Hello+from+the+Penny+Arcade+Forums!"]aim[/url]
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited October 2006
    Mesanixta wrote:
    We get the Predators on FSN here in Nashville. I can't recall them ever not airing a game. We have a really good commentary tandem as well in Terry Crisp and Pete Weber. I'm so psyched about this season; it looks like it's going to be the best one in Nashville history. Now if we can just get more corporate support and fill that pesky lower bowl :)
    We do? Sweet!

Doesn't Pete Weber host a radio show on 104.5?

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Wow, nice goal to steel the win in OT by Sydor. Turco may choke in the playoffs, but he's one of the best puckhandling goalies around.

Corvus on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Elkamil wrote:
    Mesanixta wrote:
    We do? Sweet!

Doesn't Pete Weber host a radio show on 104.5?

I think so, yeah. I only listen to NPR, but I catch the games on 104.5 if I'm ever driving and can't watch the game. Are you going to the game tonight? I can't tonight but I'm going to the game on the 21st against the Canucks.

Mesanixta on
  • Options
    precisionkprecisionk Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I am so glad Carolina lost last night. I hate them.

precisionk on
  • Options
    ShlankShlank Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Corvus wrote:

Go Rangers!

The Hamilton Penguins?
    POR QUEEEE D:

Do we honestly need another team based in Ontario? Sure it's a step up from ATLANTA but is anyone in Hamilton gonna cheer for their own team or just stick with the Leafs like they've done their whole lives?

Seriously RIM dude, just move the team to Winnipeg, after the godawful abomination that the Coyotes are, give us the Jets back.

Shlank on
    Shlankx.png
  • Options
    ProtoProto Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    precisionk wrote:
    I am routing and believe Minnesota has a great shot this year of going the distance. With all the off-season offense they have obtained, under Gaborik as well under the guidance of Jock Lemaire, they have it all.

:lol:

Proto on
    and her knees up on the glove compartment
    took out her barrettes and her hair spilled out like rootbeer
  • Options
    designMcGeedesignMcGee Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I'm going to the Wings game tonight.

I'll be the first to admit things in Detroit are much different this year. Losing Yzerman was a huge hit, adding Shanahan didn't help, either. I'd be careful to say that we're on a downward slope yet, we haven't even played a game. I hated the Hasek trade, and I think losing Legace to St. Louis of all places, was foolish.

We'll see what happens this year. It felt like some one punched me in the stomach when we got bounced out of the playoffs last year.

Also, damn there are a lot of Canucks fans on every forum I post at.

Like cockroaches.

Infecting everything good.

designMcGee on
    sig_uso.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2006

I'll be the first to admit things in Detroit are much different this year. Losing Yzerman was a huge hit, adding Shanahan didn't help, either. I'd be careful to say that we're on a downward slope yet, we haven't even played a game. I hated the Hasek trade, and I think losing Legace to St. Louis of all places, was foolish.

We'll see what happens this year. It felt like some one punched me in the stomach when we got bounced out of the playoffs last year.

Like cockroaches.

What's up Central Division buddy? I think the fight in Central will be good again this year between the Wings and the Preds. We have a strange relationship you know, since a lot of the Preds fan base are people who moved from the Michigan area to here after the decline of the auto industry. Red Wings games are always guaranteed sellouts here in Nashville.

I think people are counting Detroit out too early. You guys still have Datsuyk and are filled with talent and experience.

lol @ canucks fans

Mesanixta on
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Mesanixta wrote:

Like cockroaches.

What's up Central Division buddy? I think the fight in Central will be good again this year between the Wings and the Preds. We have a strange relationship you know, since a lot of the Preds fan base are people who moved from the Michigan area to here after the decline of the auto industry. Red Wings games are always guaranteed sellouts here in Nashville.

I think people are counting Detroit out too early. You guys still have Datsuyk and are filled with talent and experience.

lol @ canucks fans

Detroit always has talent and experience, but it's been a pretty steady decline for years now.

I used to cheer for Detroit, back when they always won, but...it's no fun cheering for a team that always wins.

So I cheered for hometeam again, a team that always lost. And that was cool. And still is, now that the Flames are contenders again.

Nova_C on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Shlank wrote:
    Corvus wrote:

Go Rangers!

The Hamilton Penguins?
    POR QUEEEE D:

Do we honestly need another team based in Ontario? Sure it's a step up from ATLANTA but is anyone in Hamilton gonna cheer for their own team or just stick with the Leafs like they've done their whole lives?

Seriously RIM dude, just move the team to Winnipeg, after the godawful abomination that the Coyotes are, give us the Jets back.

Winnipeg built a new stadium. And they made it a few thousand seats too small for the NHL. I'd love to see the Jets back, but I dont think its likely to happen.

As for Ontario, I would imagine people would go. If you've got the NHL in your town, you'd go.

And seriously, which team has a better chance of winning the Cup in the next five to ten years? I'm betting on the one with Crosby, Malkin, Staal and company over the one with Mats Sundin and Bryan McCabe's overpaid ass.

Corvus on
  • Options
    ShlankShlank Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Corvus wrote:
    Shlank wrote:
    Corvus wrote:

Go Rangers!

The Hamilton Penguins?
    POR QUEEEE D:

Winnipeg built a new stadium. And they made it a few thousand seats too small for the NHL. I'd love to see the Jets back, but I dont think its likely to happen.

As for Ontario, I would imagine people would go. If you've got the NHL in your town, you'd go.

And seriously, which team has a better chance of winning the Cup in the next five to ten years? I'm betting on the one with Crosby, Malkin, Staal and company over the one with Mats Sundin and Bryan McCabe's overpaid ass.

Yeah sadly compared to Copps Coliseum in Hamilton it's 2k seats smaller, although if you sell out all 15k seats every game that's better than having a 18k seater that you only sell 10k seats per game so it's tough to say.

If the Jets came back they'd easy sell out the first...ah hell let's be generous, 5 seasons but after that...who knows? At least with the CBA smaller market teams can be competitive.

As it stands right now the team isn't leaving Pittsburgh but I suppose that could be up in the air come the end of the year if there's no new arena getting built in Pittsburgh. Also, I figure if Pittsburgh comes in last for 2 more years they should be able to win the cup 3 or 4 times in a row, and if they end up not making the playoffs in the next few years, people are going to wonder what the fuck is going on with management.

Not that people don't already think that.

Shlank on
    Shlankx.png
  • Options
    ScrumtrulescentScrumtrulescent Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I just donned my Rangers jersey.

Oh man, this is going to be sweet.

I can't wait to see who the new captain is :o

Scrumtrulescent on
  • Options
    GlaealGlaeal Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    So where are they showing the games in the US? On that new Versus channel only?

Glaeal on
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Corvus wrote:

Go Rangers!

So the local who said he would buy the team and keep it in the city if he was granted a license to build a casino didn't fly? That's a shame.

I remember when the Penguins were good. I lived in Pittsburgh, and actually played street hockey back then. It was glorious.

Lemuix, Barasso, Jagr, Francis...who were the other two awesome guys at the time again?

Jragghen on