As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Yao Ming's Career Memorial Thread

• Options
    Folken FanelFolken Fanel anime af When's KoFRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    The Judge wrote: »
    BubbaT wrote: »
    That possession was the difference maker last night tonight. Instead of trying to catch up down 4, they would have been down 2 and it would have been a much different ending to the game.

You can say that about any bad call in a close game.
    True, but the rule is crap and the refs should be able to take the the points off the board.

That being said, it wasn't a difference maker - the refs MORE than made up for it down the stretch. Boston was getting some ridiculous calls and no-calls. Pierce's innovative five-step move in the paint comes to mind.

Traveling in the NBA? That's never happened!

The problem with the 6 men on the court thing is that its such an egregious error that even though the rule states that the points can't be taken on the board, who's likely to complain about it if they are? Take the points of because its the right thing to do.

That said, it sucks that they lost the game, but I'd be more up-in-arms about it if they were fighting for a playoff spot or something. As a Boston sports fan I don't complain about much anymore given everything thats happened this decade :P .

Folken Fanel on
    Twitter: Folken_fgc Steam: folken_ XBL: flashg03 PSN: folken_PA SFV: folken_
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Characters I hate:

Everybody @Folken Fanel plays as.
  • Options
    BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    As if most every rookie in the history of the NBA up to ~1984 hadn't been a college senior. Don't draft Larry Bird, he's got no upside!
    Larry Bird was drafted after his junior year.

Yeah, but the Celtics knew they wouldn't get him until he was a senior. Clearly during his final year at Indy St, all his upside vanished. :P

That possession was the difference maker last night tonight. Instead of trying to catch up down 4, they would have been down 2 and it would have been a much different ending to the game.

You can say that about any bad call in a close game.

Really? I can't remmeber the last time I saw 6 guys on the court.

The reason I think it's stupid is because they can reverse 3 point field goals and buzzer beaters, but they can't do anything about 6 men on the court? Even when KG was screaming in the official's face that there was 6 guys as the play was developing?

Please. The Celtics got robbed.

I agree it's stupid, and I mentioned their reversing of 3 pointers and buzzer beaters as well.

I agree it was a terrible call - the correct call would have been to wipe out POR's basket, call a technical and give BOS a FT, then give the ball back to POR on the sideline out of bounds.

However, the fact that it was a terrible and unusual call does not make it more impactful than any of the terrible and commonplace calls that happen in the NBA all the time. And there were instances of the latter in the POR-BOS game as well.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    yotesyotes Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Can't we just leave Charles Barkley alone? All he wanted was a blowjob.

Stay the fuck away from the TMZ comments.

yotes on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    TachosTachos Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Reviving this thread because the NBA deserves to get discussed!

So Orlando just won its 30th game, yet all anyone wants to talk about is the lakers, the cavs and the celtics. While those teams are good and deserve the recognition i think the media is underselling the magic just because they dont really have a flashy celeb face on their franchise. JJ Redick has actually gained some muscle and knowledge of the NBA game and is now starting to contribute. Orlando could be scary in the playoffs. And they just beat a hard Spurs team in San Antonio. Best Team on the road this year.

I just don't see the celtics repeating, its too hard to do and although rondo is getting better, i cant really say that for the rest of the team. They just had like a 4 game losing streak.

Tachos on
    Your sig was too tall. -Thanatos
    Sig1copy.jpg
  • Options
    sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I am a disenfranchised Seattle fan, slowly warming up to Portland. I get to pick a team, it's in the rules. Anyways, I'm pretty certain that Cleveland is going to crush their way through the playoffs. Trades may happen to change things up, but right now, that's how I see it happening. So, while the Magic are nice, I just think they aren't going to be going to the finals.

sportzboytjw on
    Walkerdog on MTGO
    TylerJ on League of Legends (it's free and fun!)
  • Options
    BrotherVoodooBrotherVoodoo Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Timberwolves

5 wins in a row

My Mind is BLOWN!

Do I still cheer for Kevin McHales Head to explode, or for him to become the permanent coach.

Decisions.

BrotherVoodoo on
    13669_988031669590_13908669_57296127_2429910_n.jpg
  • Options
    sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    He's tanking the season by ruining your draft pick. Head asplode is my vote.

sportzboytjw on
    Walkerdog on MTGO
  • Options
    Idx86Idx86 Long days and pleasant nights.Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Timberwolves

5 wins in a row

My Mind is BLOWN!

Do I still cheer for Kevin McHales Head to explode, or for him to become the permanent coach.

Decisions.

I'm in the same boat. I want the team to do well, but I also want Blake Griffin.

Ultimately though, if McHale can coach and get us to the top of the Western Conference, that's what I care about.

Idx86 on
    sig.gif

2008, 2012, 2014 D&D "Rare With No Sauce" League Fantasy Football Champion!
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2009
    Going to the see the Celts play the Raptors tonight. Should be interesting.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I am a disenfranchised Seattle fan, slowly warming up to Portland. I get to pick a team, it's in the rules. Anyways, I'm pretty certain that Cleveland is going to crush their way through the playoffs. Trades may happen to change things up, but right now, that's how I see it happening. So, while the Magic are nice, I just think they aren't going to be going to the finals.

are you really basing that on anything though? They're a really solid well balanced and might i add, well COACHED team. Stan van gundy is doing a really good job this year and finally has them playing team ball and good defense. Kinda just sounds like you havent really watched them play this year. Not that the Cavs are bad or something.

Tachos on
    Sig1copy.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Idx86 wrote: »
    Timberwolves

5 wins in a row

My Mind is BLOWN!

Decisions.

I'm in the same boat. I want the team to do well, but I also want Blake Griffin.

Ultimately though, if McHale can coach and get us to the top of the Western Conference, that's what I care about.

He'd just trade Griffin away for a worse pick and some average swingman, the way he screwed up the OJ Mayo thing. Mayo even had an obvious nickname for playing in Minnesota - The Clinic.

Oh, and Portland's off their rocker, threatening to sue other teams.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    MedopineMedopine __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2009
    Que?

Medopine on
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    They threatened to sue any team that signs Darius Miles

Prompting the league to go lol and the Grizz to sign him

Now they will be unable to sign a top flight free agent this offseason

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Sigh.

Medopine on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Does anyone play nba live 09? i got the demo for 360 and that live dna tracking thing seems pretty damn sweet. keeping track of whos hot during the season and adjusting their skill level. That always bothered me about madden, was when you knew you had a great rookie on your team, but madden had made a preseason judgement of how good they were based on stats or who knows what.

Tachos on
    Sig1copy.jpg
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    They threatened to sue any team that signed him, played him for the two games he needs to put his salary back on the blazers' payroll, then waived him.

There was an article in the oregonian the other morning about how other GMs don't necessarily like Pritchard and wanted the opportunity to take a stab at him, but I don't really buy it.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Dyscord wrote: »
    They threatened to sue any team that signed him, played him for the two games he needs to put his salary back on the blazers' payroll, then waived him.

There was an article in the oregonian the other morning about how other GMs don't necessarily like Pritchard and wanted the opportunity to take a stab at him, but I don't really buy it.

What was the point of waiving him?

Medopine on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    The point being that a team wouldn't actually want miles or necessarily think that he had a chance to return as a viable nba player, but would sign and play him to prevent the blazers from being able to make a major move(s) in free agency this year.

The team is on the record somewhere saying that he a team signs him and he actually plays out the season they won't care.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    but now he's on the payroll and will lessen the amount of dough they have for free agents

even though he is waived and not playing

the point of doing that was to prevent someone else from signing him

which happened anyway?

Medopine on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    wait, I don't get your question.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    basically I don't understand what the point was of the Blazer's actions, probably because I don't understand the league rules at play here

Medopine on
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2009
    The way that Miles contract works is this:

If he's not on any roster, Portland does not have to pay him.

If he comes back to Portland, Portland has to pay him.

If he joins any team for more than 2 games, Portland has to pay him. On top of that, Miles can also collect from his contract from his new team.

By signing Miles, Portland now has new salary on their cap for 2 seasons and it totally ruins their cap space. And Miles is collecting two pay checks for playing for one team.

It's good to be Darius Miles right now.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Basically, because the Blazers (+independent doctors, etc.) declared miles' knee injury career ending a couple years ago, his remaining salary doesn't count against the blazers' cap. But, the league rules say that if a dude comes back from a career ending injury and plays in at least 10 games in a season, well then his career wasn't really over, and his salary should still count against the cap.

So the blazers are pissed because they feel like the grizzlies only signed miles so that he could play token minutes in a couple games, then get rid of him, which would cause his salary to count against their cap again.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    EDIT: Oh okay, the injury thing, I did not know this

Very interesting

Medopine on
  • Options
    BrotherVoodooBrotherVoodoo Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    It has to do with insurance. If he never played, insurance would pay it out and he'd be off the cap, but if he continues to play insurance will no longer pay it, and since the blazers will, they will be over cap.

Idx86 wrote: View Post
    That will never happen.

BrotherVoodoo on
    13669_988031669590_13908669_57296127_2429910_n.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2009

Even if they didn't want to simply stick it to Portland before, I'm sure they'd be willing to now just on principle since the Blazers' threat.

Memphis did sign Miles to a 10-day contract after the threat came out of Portland. It's more likely, though, that Memphis had intended to keep Miles all along, and had only waived him because players on rosters on January 10 have their contracts guaranteed for the rest of the season. This way Memphis can release Miles later without having to pay the whole year's salary.

Rumor is the league will hand down a fine ranging from $1-5 million this week - not that such chump change matters to Paul "Octopus Yacht" Allen. There's also some talk about losing a draft pick - Minnesota lost 5 consecutive 1st round picks for violating the CBA - but that seems unlikely.

The biggest thing to come out of all of this, besides Portland not being a massive player in the 2009 free agent market, is that it puts a black mark on what heretofore had been on of the league's best stories - the resurrection of Blazermania from the ashes of the Jailblazers.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Well I can deal with the front office fucking around, as long as they aren't screwing players over.

Hard to be a fan of assholes and thugs though.

Medopine on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I don't know how much of a black mark it puts on them, only because I don't think most people really care about salary cap maneuvering. Especially when the dude with the real stake is Darius Miles, who's a jailblazers-era personality anyway.

A year from now Bill Simmons will still be talking about this (especially when it becomes the Career-Ended Darius Miles' Expiring Contract), but everyone else will have forgotten about it.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Yeah if people actually liked Darius Miles around here that might be a different story

Medopine on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Ok the deal is this: If Miles plays two more games, he counts against the cap this year and next year. If he doesn't, he doesn't count against the cap.

Blazers are 10 million under the cap next season, but if Miles doesn't count, they are like 18 million under the cap. Being 18 million under the cap means they can sign basically any player they want. Being only 10 million under means they can't sign anyone to a max contract. Basically Miles playing two more games prevents the Blazers from signing Devin Harris. Devin Harris makes them a Finals contender next year, instead of a second round washout at best.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    sigh.

so frustrating.

Medopine on
  • Options
    PicardathonPicardathon Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

The team is working with Paul Allen's money.
    Do they really need to care about how much money they're giving to the other teams?

Picardathon on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

Do they really need to care about how much money they're giving to the other teams?
    It isn't about money it is about salary cap room

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    PicardathonPicardathon Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

It isn't about money it is about salary cap room

Wait, the NBA has a hard cap? I thought they were able to pay whatever they wanted as long as they paid double through the luxury tax.
    I'm wrong?

Picardathon on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    It is a really, really complex system. Basically they have a hard cap, which you can go over, but only for certain exceptions. For example you can go over the cap to re-sign your own players, but not free agents from other teams. But you also get exceptions so you can sign players from other teams to certain salaries, last I checked it was something like $5 million I think (but only one per year).

All trades between teams over the cap have to be within something like 20% in contract value as well so you can't trade a rookie for a max player.

Also the salary cap and the luxury tax line are not the same. The cap is at like 58 million, but you only pay the tax on anything you spend over 70 million.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    yotesyotes Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Everything you ever wanted to know about the NBA's collective bargaining agreement. This will explain the salary cap, luxury tax and the Darius Miles situation (Q53). Probably should be linked in the OP.

yotes on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Tachos wrote: »

are you really basing that on anything though? They're a really solid well balanced and might i add, well COACHED team. Stan van gundy is doing a really good job this year and finally has them playing team ball and good defense. Kinda just sounds like you havent really watched them play this year. Not that the Cavs are bad or something.

All of the top teams are at least decently coached, but even great coaching can't overcome the fact that a cold 3PT shooting night or two sink the team. They also have no one on the wing that is a "stopper" so to speak. LeBron, PP, etc will likely have their way with them.

sportzboytjw on
    Walkerdog on MTGO
  • Options
    edited January 2009

All of the top teams are at least decently coached, but even great coaching can't overcome the fact that a cold 3PT shooting night or two sink the team. They also have no one on the wing that is a "stopper" so to speak. LeBron, PP, etc will likely have their way with them.

Likewise, I don't see anyone on the cavs being able to deal with Howard 1 on 1 in the post...

Tachos on
    Sig1copy.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2009

Likewise, I don't see anyone on the cavs being able to deal with Howard 1 on 1 in the post...

Do you see him not fouling out or getting double-teamed into oblivion? I'm sure he'll put up his 20/12, but I don't see him going for 30+/15+ for a series against Cleveland. Cleveland's post defenders will at least make him earn it. Orlando's wings aren't going to be wearing down LeBron any time soon.

sportzboytjw on
    Walkerdog on MTGO
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I don't know how much of a black mark it puts on them, only because I don't think most people really care about salary cap maneuvering. Especially when the dude with the real stake is Darius Miles, who's a jailblazers-era personality anyway.

A year from now Bill Simmons will still be talking about this (especially when it becomes the Career-Ended Darius Miles' Expiring Contract), but everyone else will have forgotten about it.

They tried to bully and intimidate 29 NBA franchises. I wouldn't be so sure that it'll be easily forgotten.

So, yeah, basically there's an old-guard NBA faction that would love to see this guy walk into a five-star restaurant and sit down in a chair sometime that splintered and buckled underneath him.

Portland beat Golden State 113-100 on Saturday. Afterward, Pritchard left the Rose Garden arena with his girlfriend, Marlene, a teacher and former Blazers dancer. And so yeah, basically, when the rest of the league saw an opportunity to squash Pritchard's summer 2009 salary-cap flexibility by signing Darius Miles to a 10-day contract, it was going to get done.

Said one Western Conference GM of Pritchard on Saturday: "(Bleep) that guy, he's walking around rubbing everyone's nose in the deals he's made and even with all those lottery players his team is still not in the playoffs.

"There was a line of guys in the league waiting to sign D. Miles if Memphis didn't."

http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/oregonian/john_canzano/index.ssf?/base/sports/123172170980290.xml&coll=7

BubbaT on
This discussion has been closed.