As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Open Office

RamiRami Registered User regular
edited October 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
Having read a rather dismal array of reviews for Office 2007, Open Office has caught my eye. But I have a couple of questions before I download it.

I understand it will open anything, but does that work the other way around? If I create a document in OO, would I be able to take it to another computer and open it with Office 2003/2007? This is pretty important for me as I don't have a printer of my own.

In terms of features/formatting options etc, is it equal to 2003 (or better I guess)?

And finally, how is its performance? Is it relatively bug free and quick?

Thanks!

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
sig.gif
Rami on

• Options
    Uncle LongUncle Long Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Well, performance is something you're going to have to gauge on your own. I don't think Open Office is particularly fast.

And yes, you can save a text file to .doc, or .txt or whatever.

Uncle Long on
  • Options
    ResonantResonant Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I'm forced to use Office 2007. Half of my classes require all work to be saved in Microsoft's new format (ex: docx) OO.org is not very fast, in my opinion. However, I used to use it quite a bit before I got Office 2007.

I would actually recommend getting Office 2007. If you have an email account ending in .edu, you can get Office Ultimate 2007 for $60.00 from http://theultimatesteal.com It's run by Microsoft, it's legit.

And you can save the files in an MS Office friendly format in the Save As... dialog.

Resonant on
    convergesig.jpg
  • Options
    UnderdogUnderdog Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Not particularly quick but for my purposes (essays, essays and more essays) it has proved bug free. Using OO, you can save a document in microsoft office form (or a wide variety of other forms) so that the thing can be opened by other programs. Barring another option, I really have no complaints about it.

Underdog on
  • Options
    CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    OpenOffice can open and save almost any format and work is being done in version 3 for OOXML (.docx, etc.) support. As far as I know, its features list is equal to 2003's, plus some extras like extensions and built-in PDF support.

I've not encountered any real bugs with it, but I tend to stick to Writer, Calc and Math. I agree with Uncle Long on speed - it occasionally feels slow, but it's usually alright.

EDIT: Just saw Resonant's post - I'd also recommend getting Office 2007 if you have the money for it and you don't have an allergy to major UI facelifts.

Cyvros on
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    The main problem with Open Office is that formatting does not translate particularly well between it and Microsoft Office. While that's probably fine if your just using it to open word documents, but if your using it to make documents you plan on sending to other people who will be opening them in word it just doesn't cut it.

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    GdiguyGdiguy San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    The main problem with Open Office is that formatting does not translate particularly well between it and Microsoft Office. While that's probably fine if your just using it to open word documents, but if your using it to make documents you plan on sending to other people who will be opening them in word it just doesn't cut it.

This is true; it's gotten a lot better (especially the document program), and if you're just using it for writing college papers or general stuff it's perfectly fine, but I would never (ever) send something like a resume saved in .doc format in OO without checking it in real Word first. And expect major weirdness in taking powerpoint presentations from OO to MS's Powerpoint.

Gdiguy on
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Rami wrote: »
    Having read a rather dismal array of reviews for Office 2007, Open Office has caught my eye. But I have a couple of questions before I download it.

I understand it will open anything, but does that work the other way around? If I create a document in OO, would I be able to take it to another computer and open it with Office 2003/2007? This is pretty important for me as I don't have a printer of my own.

In terms of features/formatting options etc, is it equal to 2003 (or better I guess)?

And finally, how is its performance? Is it relatively bug free and quick?

Thanks!

Going between OO.org and 2003 is pretty painless. At work we use a mixed environment of both and no one has had any complaints with the exception of macros. They won't go back and forth.

Speed wise, it's an office suite, they all take forever to load.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    The reason I asked is because my uni runs Office 2003, and I print my work off there. Yeah it's mostly just essays, excel for some graphs and the occasional powerpoint.

We have a Student edition of office here in the UK but apparently it only has powerpoint viewer and not actual powerpoint. The other problem is my uni doesn't have the compatability patch so I don't think it will open my 2007 files.

Rami on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    OOo has built-in PDF support, so you could save your documents as PDF and print the PDFs at uni. That's what I used to do.

Cyvros on
  • Options
    evilmrhenryevilmrhenry Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Note: OO by default includes a Java environment. Most people don't need it, and disabling it speeds things up.
    http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Java_and_OpenOffice.org

evilmrhenry on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Note: OO by default includes a Java environment. Most people don't need it, and disabling it speeds things up.

You can also download it without Java. When you click on "Download OpenOffice.org", click on the "Get more platforms and languages" link and uncheck "Include the Java JRE with this download" before you download.

Cyvros on
  • Options
    LeztaLezta Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    The reason I asked is because my uni runs Office 2003, and I print my work off there. Yeah it's mostly just essays, excel for some graphs and the occasional powerpoint.

We have a Student edition of office here in the UK but apparently it only has powerpoint viewer and not actual powerpoint. The other problem is my uni doesn't have the compatability patch so I don't think it will open my 2007 files.

This is the uk version of that link. It's not the student version - it's the full ultimate one. The £600 one. For £40. You'd be mad not to. Office 2007 is awesome, especially compared to open office.

You can happily save all your files in 2003 format in 2007 so...

Lezta on
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Office 2007 is far better than Open Office IMHO, having used both, and 2007 can very very very very easily save in the older file format automatically every time (that's what mine does). That said, OO.org is free, so there's no point in not trying it out first. If you do end up buying Office 2k7, most definitely do the "The Ultimate Steal" thing.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2008
    Yeah, I reccomend Office 2007 as well. The default save setting is the new format, but the first time you save a document, you can change it to "classic" one of .doc.

Office 2007 does take some getting used to, with it's new look and everything but it's quite fast and reliable. I haven't had Word or Excel crash on me for any reason.

And yeah, if you can get it for 40 instead of 600, there's no reason not to. That's an insane discount. Especially for Ultimate.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    +1 for Office 2007

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    NarianNarian Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

This really helps with the initial start up time.

Narian on
    Narian.gif
  • Options
    SG MahonaySG Mahonay Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    If you have Microsoft Office I'd suggest staying with that. Open Office is a great free alternative, but it's performance is slower than anything you'd pay for.

SG Mahonay on
    Greetings from www.seasonedgamers.com
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Lezta wrote: »

This is the uk version of that link. It's not the student version - it's the full ultimate one. The £600 one. For £40. You'd be mad not to. Office 2007 is awesome, especially compared to open office.

You can happily save all your files in 2003 format in 2007 so...

Crikey, I will indeed take advantage of that. That has to be the best bargain I have ever seen.

Rami on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    DrFrylockDrFrylock Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I've found that OpenOffice usually falls short in dealing with any Word features more advanced than typing and basic formatting. I actually know how to use Microsoft Word, and so I use things like macros and cross-references and variable fields. Occasionally I'll be collaborating with somebody and suddenly a new version of my document will be subtly all fucked up and anything more advanced than the typing will have disappeared or rendered down to plain text.

"Hey Bob," I say, "did you by chance edit my document in OpenOffice?"
    "Oh yeah, but I saved it back as MS Word so it's totally compatible!"
    "Fuck you, Bob."

DrFrylock on
  • Options
    KatoKato Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Resonant wrote: »
    I'm forced to use Office 2007. Half of my classes require all work to be saved in Microsoft's new format (ex: docx) OO.org is not very fast, in my opinion. However, I used to use it quite a bit before I got Office 2007.

I would actually recommend getting Office 2007. If you have an email account ending in .edu, you can get Office Ultimate 2007 for $60.00 from http://theultimatesteal.com It's run by Microsoft, it's legit.

And you can save the files in an MS Office friendly format in the Save As... dialog.
    Anyone have much experience with using this ultimatesteal site? My wife just graduated from college last year and is in her first year teaching. Her old college email that ends in .edu still works. But she's not enrolled in classes...will this make us ineligible? Do they check for it often? Are they going to send a cd or do we just get an opportunity to download the stuff? Thanks.

Kato on
    Signature??
  • Options
    radroadkillradroadkill MDRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    DrFrylock wrote: »
    I've found that OpenOffice usually falls short in dealing with any Word features more advanced than typing and basic formatting. I actually know how to use Microsoft Word, and so I use things like macros and cross-references and variable fields. Occasionally I'll be collaborating with somebody and suddenly a new version of my document will be subtly all fucked up and anything more advanced than the typing will have disappeared or rendered down to plain text.

"Hey Bob," I say, "did you by chance edit my document in OpenOffice?"
    "Oh yeah, but I saved it back as MS Word so it's totally compatible!"
    "Fuck you, Bob."

This.

I was once stuck at Quid's before we lived together and I didn't have my laptop; his didn't have Microsoft Office and I had to type up a paper for a group and send it in.

Unfortunately, despite claims of compatibility, they had to reformat the entire paper in Office because it didn't translate and it added quite a bit of work for them. I felt pretty bad about it and refuse to use it again.

radroadkill on
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Kato wrote: »
    Resonant wrote: »

Anyone have much experience with using this ultimatesteal site? My wife just graduated from college last year and is in her first year teaching. Her old college email that ends in .edu still works. But she's not enrolled in classes...will this make us ineligible? Do they check for it often? Are they going to send a cd or do we just get an opportunity to download the stuff? Thanks.

I bought it from that place but I'm legit so I dunno. I doubt they check up or anything. You get a key to download it.

TychoCelchuuu on