As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Studio Ghibli teaming up with Level 5? Coming to DS and PS3.

AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
edited October 2010 in Games and Technology
Apparently they are!

http://kotaku.com/5053991/studio-ghibli-making-game-with-level-5
Japanese game developer Level 5 (Professor Layton, White Knight Chronicles) has teamed up with venerated animation house Studio Ghibli (My Neighbor Totoro, Kiki's Delivery Service) to make DS title Ninokuni: THE ANOTHER WORLD, the developer's first "10th Anniversary" product. Ghibli is handling the animation for the game, which will be bundled with a "Magic Master" book which is akin to the book carried by the game's protagonist. The book has a crest to ward off evil spirits and contains secret elixir recipes and spells. Players even use information in the book in-game, apparently.

I guess this is pretty awesome? Should be!

10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
Antihippy on

• Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    This will be the prettiest game on the DS.
    Beyond that, impossible to say.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    THE ANOTHER WORLD is a glorious title.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I'm just curious if Hayao Miyazaki would be working on this.

Antihippy on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Antihippy wrote: »

He won't.
    Miyazaki and video games do not get along.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Klyka wrote: »

Gloriously engrish.

Peewi on
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Peewi wrote: »
    Klyka wrote: »

Gloriously engrish.

Legal said that the title needed the extra "THE" otherwise the game would be French, not Japanese.
    This will be the prettiest game on the DS.

Wouldn't surprise me.

subedii on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Xagarath wrote: »
    Antihippy wrote: »

He won't.
    Miyazaki and video games do not get along.

Awww.

That's a shame. :(

Antihippy on
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    So Europe won't be seeing this until about quarter past oblivion. Layton only just came out motherfuckers.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    BeckBeck Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Are they doing monster designs, too? That's always been something that bothered me about Level 5's games.

I guess I'm really wondering about what they're doing outside of animation...

Beck on
    Lucas's Franklin Badge reflected the lightning back!
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    So Europe won't be seeing this until about quarter past oblivion. Layton only just came out motherfuckers.

Import it.

Beck on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Beck wrote: »

Import it.

But then it'll look weird next to all our other DS games. The spines of DS boxes are very different between NA and Europe.

Peewi on
  • Options
    edited September 2008

Import it.

But then it'll look weird next to all our other DS games. The spines of DS boxes are very different between NA and Europe.

But waiting would suck so much! Especially if it takes as long to get over there as Laton.

I had no idea the spines were different, though. That's kinda cool, what did they change about them?

Beck on
  • Options
    edited September 2008

Import it.

But waiting would suck so much! Especially if it takes as long to get over there as Laton.

I had no idea the spines were different, though. That's kinda cool, what did they change about them?

Here's what Euro DS boxes' spines look like:
    2n07803.jpg
    A few games such as Geometry Wars: Galaxies has it's logo on the spine instead of text. I have no idea what the colored triangles are, but Wii and Gamecube games have them too.

All American DS boxes I've seen has the spines white at the top and the bottom looking like the front of the box.

Peewi on
  • Options
    PureauthorPureauthor Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I would've thought this thread would be more about how, I dunno, the DS and the PSP are absolutely ****ing swamped with RPGs, from Sega, Level-5 and Image Epoch.

Let's see, we've got 7th Dragon, which is apparently Niinou's attempt at making a DQ1 -esque/classic TBRPG game, complete with character job classes like in FF1.

Then there's Infinite Space, a Sega RPG centred around battling in huge spaceships.

And then Acquire's creating something called Dungeons and Dams, which is a mixture of a tower defense and a RPG, where you have to defend the dam from monsters while paying attention to water flow and the dam's layout.

And of course, Level-5's Ninokuni, which is this Studio Ghibli stuff, there's Inazuma Eleven 2, and they're giving the PSP two new RPGs; one involves a robot traversing a world made out of cardboard, the other involves you being a ghost that possesses despairing people and help them fulfill their dreams.

Pureauthor on
    SS FC: 1334 0950 5927
    Platinum FC: 2880 3245 5111
  • Options
    edited September 2008

Import it.

How about the publisher just does a simultaneous release. We live in the year 2008, we have the technology and the capabilities to do such a thing!

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited September 2008

Import it.

How about the publisher just does a simultaneous release. We live in the year 2008, we have the technology and the capabilities to do such a thing!

That would be best, but do you think you'll be able to wait? I guess I'm kinda impatient, but if I lived in in Europe I think I would end up importing pretty much half of what I played.

Beck on
  • Options
    edited September 2008

Import it.

That would be best, but do you think you'll be able to wait? I guess I'm kinda impatient, but if I lived in in Europe I think I would end up importing pretty much half of what I played.

I only import out of economics not urgency to play a game. I never pine for a game if it isn't out yet in the UK except when it is like a few days later and every one of my American buddies is playing it a little early.

If it is like 6 months later then I dont care. In fact, my eagerness to play the game is probably diminished by then. Publishers will catch on eventually that delayed releases are hurting their sales. I'm pretty sure I've seen some tenuous evidence for that from chart track.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Pureauthor wrote: »
    I would've thought this thread would be more about how, I dunno, the DS and the PSP are absolutely ****ing swamped with RPGs, from Sega, Level-5 and Image Epoch.

Let's see, we've got 7th Dragon, which is apparently Niinou's attempt at making a DQ1 -esque/classic TBRPG game, complete with character job classes like in FF1.

Then there's Infinite Space, a Sega RPG centred around battling in huge spaceships.

And then Acquire's creating something called Dungeons and Dams, which is a mixture of a tower defense and a RPG, where you have to defend the dam from monsters while paying attention to water flow and the dam's layout.

And of course, Level-5's Ninokuni, which is this Studio Ghibli stuff, there's Inazuma Eleven 2, and they're giving the PSP two new RPGs; one involves a robot traversing a world made out of cardboard, the other involves you being a ghost that possesses despairing people and help them fulfill their dreams.

Every one of those games sounds fucking awesome.

I want a DS now. :(

Antihippy on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Oh my dear lord, my pants. This could be pretty damn good.

But yeah, Miyazaki and games don't get along. The one time he allowed a movie of his to be made into a game it was for Nausicaa, which has a pretty explicit anti-violence message.

The adaptation turned it into a shitty shooter.

Thus ended Miyazaki's willingness to license his movies for video games.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    cloudeagle wrote: »

But yeah, Miyazaki and games don't get along. The one time he allowed a movie of his to be made into a game it was for Nausicaa, which has a pretty explicit anti-violence message.

That is truly tragic.

Which is why we should try to let him meet with our friend Mr Fumito Ueda.

Antihippy on
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

Import it.

[IM]http://i35.tinypic.com/2n07803.jpg[/IMG]
    A few games such as Geometry Wars: Galaxies has it's logo on the spine instead of text. I have no idea what the colored triangles are, but Wii and Gamecube games have them too.

All American DS boxes I've seen has the spines white at the top and the bottom looking like the front of the box.

Import it then use the Cover Project to print a US label for a US case.

slash000 on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    slash000 wrote: »

Import it.

[IM]http://i35.tinypic.com/2n07803.jpg[/IMG]

Import it then use the Cover Project to print a US label for a US case.

The boxes are also different thicknesses.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    Drunk_caterpillarDrunk_caterpillar Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    This should be interesting. I don't think I've come across a Ghibli film I didn't like.

Drunk_caterpillar on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    This should be interesting. I don't think I've come across a Ghibli film I didn't like.

Tales from Earthsea is kinda mediocre, and Pom Poko is.... interesting but weird.
    Everything else they've done is good, though.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

The original American release of Nausicaa also soured him on US releases for a while because they mangled the movie.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

Tales from Earthsea is kinda mediocre, and Pom Poko is.... interesting but weird.

You have a problem with Transforming Genitalia Tanuki?

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2008

Oh my lord yes. There's more rampant ballsack exposure/transformations in Pom Poko than most hentai.

Edit: Yeah Tofystedeth, you're right. Looks like he had some pretty damn horrible luck when other people got their mitts on Nausicaa.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    edited September 2008

You have a problem with Transforming Genitalia Tanuki?

Not so much in principle, but the film isn't enough in the manner or style (even if technically the content) of traditional Japanese mythology to sell it.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    The boxes are also different thicknesses.

Which is why you order the cases from Nintendo.com, a procedure detailed at the Cover Project :P

slash000 on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I have no idea what the colored triangles are, but Wii and Gamecube games have them too.

This is the single biggest mystery about NoE.

LewieP on
  • Options
    B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Didn't someone from Ghibli also work on Lost Magic for the DS?

LostMagic.png

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Options
    AoiAoi Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I do believe Ghibli worked on art for Jade Cocoon 1 (maybe 2?) as well. Love their movies. Even the dry ones like I Can Hear The Sea, and argh... the one with the John Denver song Country Road obsession... I can't believe I'm blanking... were wonderful.

Aoi on
  • Options
    B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Aoi wrote: »
    and argh... the one with the John Denver song Country Road obsession... I can't believe I'm blanking... were wonderful.

Whispers of the Heart.

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Options
    METAzraeLMETAzraeL Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Pom Poko is amazing, you're just jealous of their testicles.

METAzraeL on

dream a little dream or you could live a little dream
    sleep forever if you wish to be a dreamer
  • Options
    InterpreterInterpreter Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Pureauthor wrote: »
    the other involves you being a ghost that possesses despairing people and help them fulfill their dreams.

Someone is remaking Tsugunai for the handhelds? Nifty. I enjoyed that one. Where did you hear about this?

Interpreter on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I'm just still amazed that something with that much testicle shenanigans was released in the U.S. by friggin' Disney. I mean, in the dub they refer to them as their "pouches," but it's pretty damn obvious what it is they're showing/shapeshifting.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    AoiAoi Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I'm just still amazed that something with that much testicle shenanigans was released in the U.S. by friggin' Disney. I mean, in the dub they refer to them as their "pouches," but it's pretty damn obvious what it is they're showing/shapeshifting.

It is pretty damned funny. I mean Ghibli didn't really leave them any choice if they wanted to release the movie here. I'm just amazed they bothered.

Aoi on
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

The original American release of Nausicaa also soured him on US releases for a while because they mangled the movie.
    I knew about the original botched 'translation' of the film, but I have never heard of a videogame in the same vein.

Please enlighten me regarding the perpetrators of this crime, that I may find them and gut them. Slowly.
    I keed, I keed.
    OK, no I don't. Seriously, this is a compound travesty; not only is Miyazaki not directing awesomely pretty video games as a direct result, but some moron raped Nausicaa and missed a glorious opportunity into the bargain.

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I found this out from Wired's Game/Life blog. They did a rundown of the worst movie licensed games a while back.

http://www.wired.com/gaming/gamingreviews/multimedia/2008/07/gallery_worst_movie_games
    Nausicaä Kiki Ippatsu

This is another game that only saw release in Japan, but its worldwide impact has been tremendous. The developers at Tokuma Shoten, tasked with creating a game based on animation legend Hayao Miyazaki's breakout smash Nausicaä, turned a film about nonviolence and environmentalism into a vapid shooter.

As the story goes, Miyazaki was so enraged by the game that Studio Ghibli never had anything to do with videogames ever again. Sure enough, no game projects have ever been released for any of the studio's later films, like Princess Mononoke or the Oscar-winning Spirited Away. Maybe that's all for the best.

nausica.jpg

The fun part of the article is that it also lists Namco's Japanese-only Star Wars for the NES, in which Darth Vader transforms into a scorpion for some reason.

Mobygames also says you ride a whale on Hoth.

Also:
    starwarnam-108.png

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    So, what, it's a Mehve-based shmup where you zap insects for fifty levels?
    Let me guess, if you blow up an Ohmu you get a super-awesome power-up. :rolleyes:

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.