Options

Reverse Illiteracy Thread

• Options
    naporeonnaporeon Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Also, I'm reading The Gun Seller. I'm giving it a look, since Hugh Laurie is so great in/at pretty much everything.

Except authoring, if the first twenty pages or so are any indication.

naporeon on
  • Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    My girlfriend really likes The Earth Sea, or what ever the Hell it's called, by Ursula K. le Guin. Is this shit decent or what?

Peter Ebel on
    Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Peter Ebel wrote: »
    My girlfriend really likes The Earth Sea, or what ever the Hell it's called, by Ursula K. le Guin. Is this shit decent or what?

they made a t.v. movie out of it that was almost exactly like the book so far as I remember

the book was awesome when I was in fourth grade

take that as you will

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    The first one of those Earthsea books is pretty cool. It's the only one worth reading though, the sequels are godawful.

Also, I guess Studio Ghibli made an Earthsea flick, but apparently it wasn't that great.

Clint Eastwood on
  • Options
    naporeonnaporeon Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Peter Ebel wrote: »
    Le Guin is very hit-or-miss. Some of the Hainish Cycle novels are of genuine literary quality, along with one or two of the Earthsea series (mainly The Farthest Shore).

Much of the rest of her oeuvre is composed of standard sci-fi/fantasy tripe draped in highbrow pretense.

naporeon on
  • Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Umberto Eco is insane (in a good way)
    Just read The Name of the Rose, and the postscript. The guy knows way too much.

MulysaSempronius on
    If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options
    Spectre-xSpectre-x Rating: AWESOME YESRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Umberto Eco fucking looooooves Peanuts

Spectre-x on
  • Options
    PinballPinball Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

I had to make an essay on Name of the Rose for last semester of college. It was not a pretty experience, altough the reading was quite good after it sunk in

Pinball on
  • Options
    KilljoyKilljoy __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2008

Hell yes. I just finished a couple of his books and it makes me mad how much he knows.

I still haven't read Name of the Rose or Foucault's Pendulum so I have that to look forward to.

Killjoy on
  • Options
    Spectre-xSpectre-x Rating: AWESOME YESRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Umberto Eco fucking loooooooooves writing good books, too

I assume, anyway

since he's so good at it

Spectre-x on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Pinball wrote: »

I had to make an essay on Name of the Rose for last semester of college. It was not a gratifing experience, altough the reading was quite good after it sunk in
    The postscript has an interesting note on the pace of the novel. He says the first hundred pages were there to weed people out who wouldn't be able to "get" the book.

MulysaSempronius on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    That is an asshole thing to do and lowers my opinion of the guy.

Killjoy on
  • Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I'll stay away from Earthsea stuff then.

Also, I like me some Eco.

Peter Ebel on
    Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    well, he says it in a much better way.
    "if somebody wanted to enter the abbey and live there for seven days, he had to accept the abbey's own pace. If he could not, he would never manage to read the whole book."
    basically in response to an editor asking him to edit the first part of the book to be faster

MulysaSempronius on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I have to read John Berger for school, and he's quickly becoming the first writer I actually hate.

Killjoy on
  • Options
    redheadredhead Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Foucault's Pendulum and The Name of the Rose are both excellent.
    Eco builds up a world in which everything has some meaning and every shadowy clue references another obscure piece of a vast pattern. Then, at the story's end, he'll blow everything up as his characters realize it was all meaningless the entire time. He deflates his characters' intellectual pretensions, and, in doing so, explodes those of the reader as well, since by the end of the novel you can't help but have been completely absorbed, hoping desperately that his heroes will turn out to be correct. He's incredibly erudite, of course, and it's apparent on every page. Fascinating books, both of them.

redhead on
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    vsove wrote: »
    To get back on topic, though, an excellent historical narrative book that I read recently is called 'Devil in the White City: Murder, Magic, and Madness at the Fair That Changed America', by Erik Larson. It's all about the Chicago World's Fair of 1893, and specifically the serial killer that was using it to find victims. Really well written, and extremely gripping. I recommend it.

I read this last summer and absolutely loved it. Serial killers always fascinate me: the idea that here is a person who is externally normal, who can look and act just like us, but harbors this deep compulsion to do really fucked up shit to people.

Isn't H.H. Holmes considered America's first serial killer because of all this?

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Also, redhead I'm sorry but I hate your avatar. It makes me angry for some reason every time I look at it

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    that's kind of strange, but okay

tell you what

if I notice anything in the next week or so that would make a decent avatar, I'll switch

redhead on
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2008
    well, he says it in a much better way.
    "if somebody wanted to enter the abbey and live there for seven days, he had to accept the abbey's own pace. If he could not, he would never manage to read the whole book."
    basically in response to an editor asking him to edit the first part of the book to be faster

and I agree with his rationale

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    redhead wrote: »
    that's kind of strange, but okay

tell you what

if I notice anything in the next week or so that would make a decent avatar, I'll switch

No, don't worry about it man

I think it's either because I hate Thom Yorke or I hate that expression on his face, or possibly both

but it's nothing I'm so worked up about that you need to go changin' it

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    it is a pretty silly expression

redhead on
  • Options
    FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    holy crap that's thom yorke?

he looks just like he sounds

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    AgentofOrangeAgentofOrange Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    200px-JamesClavell_Gai-Jin.jpg

Just finished this book. It's one of my top favorites now, I fucking love James Clavell.
    I'm now reading his "Tai-pan".

AgentofOrange on
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    There is like 3 weeks until the new Acts of Caine book comes out and I am so excited

Bloods End on
  • Options
    seizureorbsseizureorbs Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    redhead wrote: »
    Foucault's Pendulum and The Name of the Rose are both excellent. Eco builds up a world in which everything has some meaning and every shadowy clue references another obscure piece of a vast pattern. Then, at the story's end, he'll blow everything up as his characters realize it was all meaningless the entire time. He deflates his characters' intellectual pretensions, and, in doing so, explodes those of the reader as well, since by the end of the novel you can't help but have been completely absorbed, hoping desperately that his heroes will turn out to be correct. He's incredibly erudite, of course, and it's apparent on every page. Fascinating books, both of them.

you know I would've liked to discover this when I read the book, but whatever

seizureorbs on
    eyes.gif
  • Options
    Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I'm reading Anathem by Neal Stephenson right now

it's about a hundred times more dense than anything else he's written, but still glorious.

Mai-Kero on
  • Options
    lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Bloods End wrote: »
    There is like 3 weeks until the new Acts of Caine book comes out and I am so excited

whoa, whoa, seriously?

i've given up hope of ever seeing the next book. thanks for the heads up

lostwords on
    rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
  • Options
    bentbent Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I'm reading Richard Morgan's 'The Steel Remains' right now, s'alright.

bent on
    sig1.png
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Spectre-x wrote: »
    I have not read Twilight, but can say with 100% certainty that it is 100% total shit.

Doesn't the vampire guy sparkle? As in, isn't he surrounded by pretty pretty sparklies?

Good god.

Also! I absolutely abhor using the term, as it is over-used, but the main character sounds like the fucking definition of a Mary-Sue. The only way she could be any more of one is if she were actually named Mary-Sue.

Going by what I have read about the actual contents of the books and other people's opinions of them.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Twilight
    all your questions answered here.

Antimatter on
  • Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I just started Hyperion. I hear good things.

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2008
    I didn't like Hyperion at first, the characters in the first book seemed pretty cliched. And they are, but intentionally so and the series gets much better and more epic in my opinion.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I'm also making my way through the Repairman Jack series. It's entertaining.

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    simosimo Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    so i got distracted with school but i'm finally almost done burgess' the long day wanes

it's really quite good

simo on
    bugss2.jpg
  • Options
    laughingfuzzballlaughingfuzzball Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I'm trying go from "took a few years of German in High School" to "moderately literate in German". I knew Kafka had a strange idiolect, but I liked The Metamorphosis, so I got a parallel translation of some of his short stories.

Fuck Kafka.

He really, really likes run-on sentences. I understand and appreciate what he's going for, but the way German sentence structure works makes them hard to read.

laughingfuzzball on
  • Options
    ZombotZombot Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I picked up Children of Dune and read the first chapter and said "maybe another day."

Zombot on
  • Options
    laughingfuzzballlaughingfuzzball Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    The series begins and ends at Dune.

It's just better that way.

laughingfuzzball on
  • Options
    redfenixredfenix Aka'd as rfix Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Just read The Road
    now i'm reading Blood Meridian

hi5 McCarthy, you're good people

redfenix on
  • Options
    sdrawkcaB emaNsdrawkcaB emaN regular
    edited September 2008
    I don't think we've talked about books in some time.

Anyways, here's the top ten books you shouldn't read before you die. It starts out pretty accurate, then it goes off the deep end. Accusing Hunter S. Thompson of not being literary seems to be missing the point, don't you think?

Right now I'm reading Diablo Cody's memoir Candy Girl, because it was free and I'm not in the mood to read about existential terror and man's inhumanity to man.

why the fuck is the Iliad on there

I'm going to read every book on that list just to spite any asshole who would suggest that the Iliad isn't worth reading. At least the Fagles translation anyway.

sdrawkcaB emaN on
  • Options
    simosimo Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    yeah, that list is pretty atrocious

i don't even understand his hemingway complaint

like, is he joking about the terrible bore part? i can't tell

simo on
    bugss2.jpg
This discussion has been closed.