It's just better that way.

nah

I liked dune messiah and children of dune

seizureorbs on
    eyes.gif
  • Options
    laughingfuzzballlaughingfuzzball Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Messiah and Children are bearable, unless the latter's rampant incestuous overtones bother you. They're fully three calibers below the original at minimum, though.

God-Emperor's only a little worse, and I couldn't even be bothered to finish it.

laughingfuzzball on
  • Options
    seizureorbsseizureorbs Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    you know, I thought God-Emperor was pretty good too

I stopped after I read Heretics though

that was awful

seizureorbs on
    eyes.gif
  • Options
    seizureorbsseizureorbs Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I feel like you and me had pretty much this exact exchange in some book thread in the past

seizureorbs on
    eyes.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Probably.

It comes up about every twenty or thirty pages.

laughingfuzzball on
  • Options
    zanmattozanmatto Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I'm starting to read the Discworld series of books by Terry Pratchett.

Fucking love space turtles

zanmatto on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I don't think we've talked about books in some time.

Anyways, here's the top ten books you shouldn't read before you die. It starts out pretty accurate, then it goes off the deep end. Accusing Hunter S. Thompson of not being literary seems to be missing the point, don't you think?

Right now I'm reading Diablo Cody's memoir Candy Girl, because it was free and I'm not in the mood to read about existential terror and man's inhumanity to man.

why the fuck is the Iliad on there

I'm going to read every book on that list just to spite any asshole who would suggest that the Iliad isn't worth reading. At least the Fagles translation anyway.

I've only read bits and pieces of the Illiad. I loved the Oddysey to death when I was, like, twelve, though. I haven't read it since.

I should remedy both of those.

laughingfuzzball on
  • Options
    RubberACRubberAC Sidney BC!Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    So I just finished Toll the Hounds.
    Now i get to wait what, a couple years for the next one?
    god fuck damn.

RubberAC on
  • Options
    Randall_FlaggRandall_Flagg Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I haven't read the Iliad, but I loved loved loved the Aeneid in the original Latin

also, man fuck that dude for putting Hemingway, Joyce, and Thompson on his list

edit: and Tolstoy

double edit: upon closer examination, he disavows having read any of what he criticizes, fuck him

also even though Tolkein is a bad writer, it is an exercise in idiocy to assert that reading his magnum opus, perhaps the most influential fantasy series in recent history, should never be done ever under any circumstances

Randall_Flagg on
  • Options
    vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Ulysses was a meandering mess of a book.

'A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man', however, was a fairly interesting read, if extremely dry.

vsove on
    WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    sdrawkcaB emaNsdrawkcaB emaN regular
    edited September 2008
    I don't think we've talked about books in some time.

Anyways, here's the top ten books you shouldn't read before you die. It starts out pretty accurate, then it goes off the deep end. Accusing Hunter S. Thompson of not being literary seems to be missing the point, don't you think?

Right now I'm reading Diablo Cody's memoir Candy Girl, because it was free and I'm not in the mood to read about existential terror and man's inhumanity to man.

why the fuck is the Iliad on there

I'm going to read every book on that list just to spite any asshole who would suggest that the Iliad isn't worth reading. At least the Fagles translation anyway.

I've only read bits and pieces of the Illiad. I loved the Oddysey to death when I was, like, twelve, though. I haven't read it since.

I should remedy both of those.

The Iliad pretty much kicks the Odyssey's ass and then disembowels it and dumps its corpse into the sea after stripping off its armor and hosting some kind of triumphal feast and sacrifice.

sdrawkcaB emaN on
  • Options
    simosimo Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    vsove wrote: »

'A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man', however, was a fairly interesting read, if extremely dry.

dubliners is my favorite joyce work, it's so good

simo on
    bugss2.jpg
  • Options
    vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I've never actually read dubliners, but I keep meaning to do so.

I'll have to pick it up next time I'm at the book store.

vsove on
    WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    simosimo Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I've never actually read dubliners, but I keep meaning to do so.

I'll have to pick it up next time I'm at the book store.

it won't take you very long to read, it's pretty short

10 or so short stories about life in dublin

simo on
    bugss2.jpg
  • Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2008
    penguin, faulker is fucking gay and i hate him fyi

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I haven't read the Iliad, but I loved loved loved the Aeneid in the original Latin

also, man fuck that dude for putting Hemingway, Joyce, and Thompson on his list

edit: and Tolstoy

double edit: upon closer examination, he disavows having read any of what he criticizes, fuck him

also even though Tolkein is a bad writer, it is an exercise in idiocy to assert that reading his magnum opus, perhaps the most influential fantasy series in recent history, should never be done ever under any circumstances

i think you might be taking the article a mite too seriously

EDIT: Also yes, Aeneid in the original latin is quite a treat. Guy knows his wordplay and storytelling.

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • Options
    edited September 2008

Tolkien mimics the Britannic and Germanic epics very closely in over-all structure. I suspect it was a conscious choice, since he was basically trying to write the "English mythology". He takes most of the paragraph and sentence level structure from early modern and very late middle English, though very much in modern English. It's where the faux-archaic feel comes from that everyone seems to shoot for and no one seems to be able to pull off.

It really wasn't meant to be what it's become at all. He was trying to write a false mythology, more of an academic lark than anything, and accidentally created a genre of pop "literature".

laughingfuzzball on
  • Options
    Penguin IncarnatePenguin Incarnate King of Kafiristan Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

I'm almost certain that A Portrait can bite dicks, too.

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Options
    redheadredhead Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    hey I liked a portrait of the artist as a young man

I have a feeling I'll like ulysses, too, if I ever make it through

I'll let you know in about thirty years

25 years to get bored enough to try again and 5 years to read it, losing interest after every three-word phrase

redhead on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I'll answer that with a verse from Faulkner, "I've got two guns, one for each of you."

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I'll answer that with a verse from Faulkner, "I've got two guns, one for each of you."

oh i'm gonna use repetition and no punctuation also i'm gay - faulkner while writing as i lay dying

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    geckonidaegeckonidae Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I had to leave all my books behind when I moved

but I have a copy of Heart of Darkness here I should really get round to reading one day
    oh and I picked up the Book Thief cause I had heard good things and really enjoyed it

but no longer working at a bookstore, I feel like I am missing out on a lot of new releases (also discount)

I guess what I am trying to say is guys recommend some books?

geckonidae on
  • Options
    edited September 2008

hey

hey

fuck you

Randall_Flagg on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    simo wrote: »
    yeah, that list is pretty atrocious

i don't even understand his hemingway complaint

like, is he joking about the terrible bore part? i can't tell

he's waving his nose in the air and saying 'i am better than everybody'

putting on airs

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    edited September 2008

hey

hey

fuck you
    Randall, I thought the entire forum had been over this with you: You are abominable.

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Options
    RockyRocky Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    So I was studying for a exam in the library and during a break I remembered somebody mentioned Musicophilia and I decided to look it up. Apperantly its "lost" so I picked up The man who mistook his wife for a hat.

Rocky on
    LOTRO: Hurindar Halimhar
    GW2: Hurindar
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    i only remember one part of heart of darkness, and that's 'they weren't bad people, for being cannibals.'

the rest of it? just go watch apocalypse now, it's more interesting and better-written

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    edited September 2008

oh i'm gonna use repetition and no punctuation also i'm gay - faulkner while writing as i lay dying
    If there's a connection to Tombstone in your post, I'm not seeing it.

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    oh i've never seen that movie

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    The Iliad? I really enjoyed The Odyssey; it was the book that got me out of my literary funk and my screen-name is an homage to the opening verse. The Iliad had some good going too. I was pleasantly surprised to realize that the ancient Greeks could joke around and between the MANLINESS converse frankly and poignantly. Did I get to finish it? No, school started up again so I had to put it down, but I enjoyed what I read.

And screw Austen. So stuffy and boring.

Muse Among Men on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    oh i've never seen that movie
    Goddamnit.

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Options
    edited September 2008

hey

hey

fuck you
    Randall, I thought the entire forum had been over this with you: You are abominable.

skifree.gif

awww jeah

Randall_Flagg on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    The only form of The Odyssey I enjoyed either involved Wishbone or Nick Cave.

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Options
    Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

It sort of depends on the translation, and perhaps I liked it so much because I had suffered a dearth of mind-crippling chick-lit and then an expanse of years wherein I read nothing that wasn't prescribed by the school. Perhaps something good was illuminated and exaggerated to vast proportion in my literature-starved mind.

Chick-lit more like chick-lite.

Muse Among Men on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I'm going to read Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurty now. And it's going to take me mother fucking forever.

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Options
    redheadredhead Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    shit I need to reread that

so many books I read when I was younger that I remember liking but am sure I didn't fully appreciate

redhead on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Ohh, reading The Three Musketeers right now. It is sublime. Granted, the pacing seems a bit awkward at momets and the dialogue is much you could expect from a novel of that time, and d'Art can be considered a 'mary-stu'. I don't even know what term to use. But it is an incredibly enjoyable read, sort of like a summer blockbuster but with less explosions and quaint camp.

Muse Among Men on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    redhead wrote: »
    shit I need to reread that

so many books I read when I was younger that I remember liking but am sure I didn't fully appreciate
    That's true with Blood Meridian and I read it only a year and a half ago.

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

what about the Coen Brothers

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    edited September 2008

what about the Coen Brothers
    Okay, so there are three versions of The Odyssey that I enjoy.

Penguin Incarnate on
This discussion has been closed.