As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WoW] Rogues - Or how I stopped worrying and learned to facestab

• Options
    ToldoToldo But actually, WeegianRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Senshi wrote: »
    That's what I thought, thank god I've been using it.

Also, I was pleasantly surprised by my performance earlier today when I ran my first heroic with my rogue for what must've been several months. 2.5k dps in a mix of blues and epics with fairly crap group buffs. My energy generation seems really slow, though--I've got Greed and an LPC (a relic from better times) with Berserking and Mongoose, respectively, and it felt like it was ages between Combat Potency procs. Could be just me, though. I'm more used to a mana pool these days.

Don't worry about it. You're performing spectacularly for a heroic--gogo Naxx!

Toldo on
  • Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    powersurge wrote: »
    I think bliz forgot that a lot of folks started playing combat rogues and prefer the playstyle to daggers D: and that there's a ton of competition for those weapons.
    Not really. It just depends on you raid comp. I'd say there are far more raids with no enhancement shamans than raids with a glut of them. The raids my DK attends get more 1h drops than we need, and not nearly enough 2H melee weapons.

forty on
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Alright I'm coming back from a hiatus that started before BC came out and I have a 60 rogue with shitty old gear should I just roll a new rogue and start fresh or try to figure out all the shit that's changed in 2 years?

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Rogues are probably the least fucked with class for the duration of the game.

Javen on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Yeah but my rogue even then was equipped and made of shit.

Just...look.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Illidan&n=Telenas

Gah, so much work I need to do.

Kagera on
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Well if you install BC you'll be replacing all of that pretty much right away so it really doesn't matter

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    formatformat Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    You will replace everything in hellfire.

Except I couldn't find any decent leather boots untill zangarmarsh, alliance side anyway.

And you could probably play naked.

format on
    You don't know if I am joking or not.
  • Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Well, not entirely naked. Those boars in hellfire pennisula are extremely prejudice against level 58-60 rogues.

Lars on
  • Options
    RanlinRanlin Oh gosh Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Leave the naked punching of boars to the troll experts.

Ranlin on
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I never would have guessed that the boars would tear me up more than the fiery, bloodlusting orcs but after getting owned by a pig one time too many i eventually had to start grinding out red orcs for a level or two

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    NocturneNocturne Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Yeah those Helboars were a giant blow to my self-esteem on my first entry to Outland.

I'M A FUCKING ROGUE I CAN STAB ANYTHING TO DEATH IN LIKE FIVE SECONDS BRING IT ON!

Ouch! What the fuck? Stop that. Fucking GRRAAAHGH!

Nocturne on
  • Options
    Walrus PeteWalrus Pete Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Nocturne wrote: »
    Yeah those Helboars were a giant blow to my self-esteem on my first entry to Outland.

I'M A FUCKING ROGUE I CAN STAB ANYTHING TO DEATH IN LIKE FIVE SECONDS BRING IT ON!

Ouch! What the fuck? Stop that. Fucking GRRAAAHGH!

:lol: I had a pretty similar experience, both on my rogue and my warrior. It comes as a surprise, to say the least.

Walrus Pete on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I heard a Rogue solo'ed Onyxia. Is that even possible?

Kagera on
  • Options
    mastmanmastman Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Kagera wrote: »

negative

mastman on
    ByalIX8.png
    B.net: Kusanku
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    mastman wrote: »

negative

Well you're wrong about that.

http://warcraftmovies.com/movieview.php?id=111409

reVerse on
  • Options
    mastmanmastman Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    reVerse wrote: »
    mastman wrote: »

negative

Well you're wrong about that.

http://warcraftmovies.com/movieview.php?id=111409

well hot damn, color me impressed.

mastman on
    ByalIX8.png
    B.net: Kusanku
  • Options
    MayGodHaveMercyMayGodHaveMercy Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Are there classes that can't solo Onyxia right now?

MayGodHaveMercy on
    XBL: Mercy XXVI - Steam: Mercy_XXVI - PSN: Mercy XXVI
  • Options
    EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

I doubt a mage could.

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    End wrote: »

I doubt a mage could.

Mages did it before Rogues. Rogues were the last class to do it.

reVerse on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I never would have guessed that the boars would tear me up more than the fiery, bloodlusting orcs but after getting owned by a pig one time too many i eventually had to start grinding out red orcs for a level or two
    Helboars and those damn thorned ravagers are such a huge "fuck you" to dual-wielding melee in what is supposed to be an expansion starter zone. They really could have toned down their thorns effects, since level 80 raiding will leave melee with plenty of experiences where they can feel like they're taking it up the ass.

forty on
  • Options
    EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

I doubt a mage could.

Really? I wonder how a mage did it.

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • Options
    MayGodHaveMercyMayGodHaveMercy Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Hax.

MayGodHaveMercy on
    XBL: Mercy XXVI - Steam: Mercy_XXVI - PSN: Mercy XXVI
  • Options
    edited July 2009

I doubt a mage could.

Really? I wonder how a mage did it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VK3O0HaTE_c&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwarcraftmovies.com%2Fmovieview.php%3Fid%3D98355&feature=player_embedded

reVerse on
  • Options
    MPCanesMPCanes Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    So a question for my fellow Rogues -

Just started an Alliance Rogue, love him so far - but I'm having trouble with a pick pocket auto-loot macro.

I know Macros changed a couple patches ago, so a lot of them broke. The only one I've seen as of 3.0 was:

/script SetCVar("AutolootDefault", 1)
    /cast Pick Pocket
    /in 1 /script SetCVar("AutolootDefault", 0)

Now, this works to actually pick-pocket and auto loot, but for some reason auto loot won't turn back off.

Any suggestions? I've looked all over but haven't seen much.

MPCanes on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    The /in command is not in the default UI. It's a part of some other add-ons. I believe TrinketMenu provides it, but I'm not sure. You might try installing TrinketMenu and seeing if that fixes it for you.

Otherwise, just learn to play with auto-loot on. It's better anyway.

forty on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Yeah, you pretty much just have to learn to play with autoloot on. At first it seems strange and alien, but soon you'll realize how much better it actually is.

reVerse on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I really don't understand the mentality behind playing with it off. Are you not looting everything off a mob over 50% of the time (or more like over 90%)?

forty on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Well, I did autoloot even before that, I just did it by holding shift down. Silly in retrospect, but that's just how I did it.

Here's a useful tip: macro Pick Pocket to all your stealth abilities. Sap and Cheap Shot being the most important ones. Then you'll always use pick pocket, and if you don't feel like killing anything, you can just walk around sapping dudes and you pick their pockets automatically.

reVerse on
  • Options
    CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Out of curiosity how good are the heirloom swords for levelling from 70-80? I have 2 pretty good daggers so I'm running around Mutilate spec atm, and kinda wanna try combat out with swords that are better than what I have (granted I have the quickblade from heroic Magister's and a sword from Kara, but they're both fast and killing stuff takes a while compared to mutilate).

Cokebotle on
    工事中
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Well, I did autoloot even before that, I just did it by holding shift down. Silly in retrospect, but that's just how I did it.

Here's a useful tip: macro Pick Pocket to all your stealth abilities. Sap and Cheap Shot being the most important ones. Then you'll always use pick pocket, and if you don't feel like killing anything, you can just walk around sapping dudes and you pick their pockets automatically.
    Can pick pocket still miss/be resisted and knock you out of stealth? I remember some of my PP attempts failing while sapping in dungeons way back in the day, which was pretty disruptive for the run.

forty on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    forty wrote: »

Can pick pocket still miss/be resisted and knock you out of stealth? I remember some of my PP attempts failing while sapping in dungeons way back in the day, which was pretty disruptive for the run.

I have not noticed such things happening.

Also, it's not like you have to use Sap in instances or anything. Sap's not an AoE, son.

reVerse on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Either they changed that since the old days or you have enough hit to overcome whatever resistance mechanic PP works under. Back in my uphill both ways to Alterac Valley days, hit gear was hard to come by.

forty on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I think there's still a chance for a PP to fail and knock you out of stealth. I swear it has happened a couple of times when in my PvP gear without much hit.

Nocturne on
  • Options
    UnknownSaintUnknownSaint Kasyn Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    So I finally have decided to renew after not playing since mid-TBC. I was a Rogue since day one and will always main a Rogue - and I'm curious.

I ran maces combat spec waaaaaaay before subtlety became viable again and basically when it dominated arena, and I'm wondering what the standard specs are for Rogues now in PvP and raiding.

I wouldn't mind setting up a good leveling/PvE spec and then a solid PvP setup. From what I see I'm liking Assassination, and wouldn't mind going mutilate.

Any general advice? (starting out at level 70 with a good mix of s2 and 3 arena gear)

UnknownSaint on
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Opinions wanted!

So I'm combat, normally Swords but I just won Crimson Steel.

I don't mind respeccing to fists but my offhand is an Avool's Sword of Jin with Berserker on it which I don't really want to lose atm.

So, what should I do? Use the fist MH as sword spec, or respec fist and continue to use the sword of jin offhand?

I'm aiming for Silent Crusader for my MH as swords but I haven't managed to get into a non-fail 25naxx pug yet and we still haven't found a good guild on horde sen'jin, so I'll probably have the fist for awhile.

Thoughts?

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Basically, to the best of my knowledge, it's like this:

PvP: Mut/Prep (Assassination/Sub - heavy on the cooldowns, tons of burst damage)
    PvE-Leveling: Whatever you feel like, really. Each tree brings enough to the table to make it easy
    PvE-Raiding: Combat (Fist MH/Dagger OH) is tops, while Mutilate is juuust behind it with optimal rotations and buff timer monitoring

Halfmex on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    So I finally have decided to renew after not playing since mid-TBC. I was a Rogue since day one and will always main a Rogue - and I'm curious.

I ran maces combat spec waaaaaaay before subtlety became viable again and basically when it dominated arena, and I'm wondering what the standard specs are for Rogues now in PvP and raiding.

I wouldn't mind setting up a good leveling/PvE spec and then a solid PvP setup. From what I see I'm liking Assassination, and wouldn't mind going mutilate.

Any general advice? (starting out at level 70 with a good mix of s2 and 3 arena gear)

Right now you just can't go wrong with Mutilate. It's viable in both PvE and PvP (especially while levelling you can PvE just as well in a PvP muti build) and easy to gear for.

I haven't played combat since BC, though.

Nocturne on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Heavy Subtlety is apparently still good for PvP to, if the European servers are to be believed.

forty on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Also, my general statements on Rogue affairs:

I am really happy with where we are now in both PvE and PvP. Not overpowered or gimped. In PvP we can destroy some classes and others are a bitch. In PvE we can dominated DPS in some fights, while others are better for ranged. These things are both as they should be.

Basically I just think we're pretty balanced right now, and I can't think of any complaints. Other than those times when Vanish still doesn't work correctly, but that's been around since the beginning of time.

Nocturne on
  • Options
    powersurgepowersurge Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Opinions wanted!

So I'm combat, normally Swords but I just won Crimson Steel.

I don't mind respeccing to fists but my offhand is an Avool's Sword of Jin with Berserker on it which I don't really want to lose atm.

So, what should I do? Use the fist MH as sword spec, or respec fist and continue to use the sword of jin offhand?

I'm aiming for Silent Crusader for my MH as swords but I haven't managed to get into a non-fail 25naxx pug yet and we still haven't found a good guild on horde sen'jin, so I'll probably have the fist for awhile.

Thoughts?

Honestly I'd just pick up a Librarian's Paper Cutter off the AH for offhand until you can get better and go fist/dagger. I will warn you the drop rate for Silent Crusader is silly rare. I've been on at least 20 or so 25man naxx runs and I've only ever seen it drop once. If you want to go swords you might just wait until you can get Malice from Ulduar.

I was maces and swords pre wotlk but after it seems bliz really wants us to either go mutilate or fist/dagger combat from what weapons are out there now and the drop rates. To make matters worse if your guild/pug runs have a lot of melee shamans you will be rolling with them for combat weapons.

I got lucky most of our shamans were offline the night I saw calamity's grasp drop but since we've had a ton of shamans in our Ulduar runs so until a couple of them get something better than Angry Dread I'm keepin the CG for now. I've got Daschal's Bite in my bag (I'm the only rogue yet I don't care for daggers doh!) and with my current gear its a hair more dps on certain fights but honestly I flat out prefer combat's playstyle.

powersurge on
This discussion has been closed.