As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

My Head Hurts [Science Thread]

SephSeph Registered User regular
edited October 2008 in Social Entropy++
Man, science is creepin me out. You got outerspace and innerspace each made up of larger and smaller things.

Atoms, what a trip, I remember atoms. Then in school it was all electrons and what have you with their charges. Ok, sure...what the hell why not, science man. Then you apparently have quarks, and superstrings or what? Ok...oh ok we got dark matter? What's that? It's like matter but not ok it exists all around us but, not on the same dimension or...something?

Then the deep hubble telescope...with your forty infinities of galaxies and what the fuck. What the fuck guys, large hadron colliders. String theory, entropy...oh ok...magnetic pole swap...ok...

It's fucking nuts it's just getting out of hand

doit.png
Seph on

• MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I wonder if Innerspace is as good as I remember it.

Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
  • vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I really hate people who say 'Science is destroying the sense of wonder in the universe, blah blah blah, all the mysteries are being explained.' No, you fuckers, science is not destroying anything. It's actually creating more mysteries as we delve into the how and why of things like black holes, gravity and other phenomena. Oh no, we understand how the basics of the universe work. So instead of being completely ignorant we're just very nearly completely ignorant.

vsove on
    WATCH THIS SPACE.
    edited September 2008
    vsove wrote: »
    I really hate people who say 'Science is destroying the sense of wonder in the universe, blah blah blah, all the mysteries are being explained.' No, you fuckers, science is not destroying anything. It's actually creating more mysteries as we delve into the how and why of things like black holes, gravity and other phenomena. Oh no, we understand how the basics of the universe work. So instead of being completely ignorant we're just very nearly completely ignorant.
    I would totally destroy someone's face with my fist. Then Science would have destroyed something.

what do you think about that, vsove?

Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
  • MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Science is an amazing field. I can't fathom people who are staunchly anti science and do things such as teach their children to not trust the things scientists say.

Marathon on
  • DadouwDadouw Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I dont understand how water falls down from the sky

Dadouw on
  • HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Payin' the bills with my mad chemistry skills, run ICP-Mass Spec for thrills.

Hunter on
    edited September 2008
    Mysst wrote: »
    I would totally destroy someone's face with my fist. Then Science would have destroyed something.

Science will shield me.

With a giant piece of sheet metal.

Your move, Mysst.

vsove on
    WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • SephSeph Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

we don't understand the fucking basis of the universe

the deep field thing just wrecked the shit out of the "working model" scientists had for the universe a few years back

Seph on
    doit.png
    edited September 2008
    Dadouw wrote: »

man science still doesn't understand gravity
    it's still the biggest fuckin mystery

Seph on
    doit.png
    edited September 2008
    Seph wrote: »

Exactly. How can you bitch that science destroys all sense of wonder and mystery when we don't even know the mechanics of why two objects are attracted to each other?

vsove on
    WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • DadouwDadouw Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

Giant magnets in the ground

Dadouw on
  • DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2008
    There's a great article in the latest Scientific American where they talk about how they've managed to encode specific types of neurons to manufacture photoreactive proteins on the surface of the neurons that trigger ion channels in the cell membrane when activated by light. They were able to use this to make a fruit fly jump in the air and flap its wings when they activated the proteins with a laser. They even verified the fly wan't reacting to seeing the laser by removing their heads, and they still flew when the laser was activated. Fucking boss.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
    edited September 2008

Science will shield me.

With a giant piece of sheet metal.

Your move, Mysst.
    Well, I was going to punch someone else anyway, so I'm still good.

Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
    edited September 2008
    This Christmas vacation, I'm going to get a whole ton of theoretical physics books and just start reading.

Because to say I find this stuff fascinating would be an understatement. I would have been quite happy to base my career completely around studying these sorts of things.

vsove on
    WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • ZombotZombot Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Pffft science!
    Magick all the way.

Zombot on
  • ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Science is one of the many tools of the devil.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
    edited September 2008

Exactly. How can you bitch that science destroys all sense of wonder and mystery when we don't even know the mechanics of why two objects are attracted to each other?

no it's fucking annoying and i'm not bitching that science destroys wonder
    i'm saying i'm tired of wonder

WONDERING WHY

i don't need shit like like quarks in my life or that thousands of galaxies spin on the rim of giant super mass black holes and there are trillions of stars in a galaxy and millions of solar systems in each galaxy

these super mega black holes may lead to alternate dimensions

hey wait we aren't really sure about black holes, they may not exist, who the fuck knows

I DONT NEED THAT
    nobody needs that

and science, you made me think about it

Seph on
    doit.png
    edited September 2008
    Butters wrote: »

Unless it supplies you pills to make your dick hard again or designs better boob implants for your trophy wife.

Hunter on
    edited September 2008

we don't understand the fucking basis of the universe

the deep field thing just wrecked the shit out of the "working model" scientists had for the universe a few years back

This is so misleading. It did not wreck the shit out of the working model. Some theories were discredited, others needed to be modified. It's like claiming that Newton's laws of motion were completely wrecked by modern observations over the last 100 years but in reality it just showed that Newton's laws aren't universal, that there are exceptions and special rules that override them. This in no way detracts from the power of what Newton did.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
    edited September 2008
    Druhim wrote: »
    There's a great article in the latest Scientific American where they talk about how they've managed to encode specific types of neurons to manufacture photoreactive proteins on the surface of the neurons that trigger ion channels in the cell membrane when activated by light. They were able to use this to make a fruit fly jump in the air and flap its wings when they activated the proteins with a laser. They even verified the fly wan't reacting to seeing the laser by removing their heads, and they still flew when the laser was activated. Fucking boss.

I saw that article while I was flipping through my new issue and kinda skipped it. Gonna go back and read it now, because that sounds awesome.

Marathon on
    edited September 2008
    it totally is awesome marathon

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
    edited September 2008
    Hunter wrote: »

Unless it supplies you pills to make your dick hard again or designs better boob implants for your trophy wife.

Breasts are a sin against god. The bigger the breasts the greater the sinner.

Erectile dysfunction medication provides erections in defiance of god's will.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
    edited September 2008
    I need to get a new subscription to Scientific American, because that sort of thing sounds absolutely fascinating. I confess to being rather ignorant on a number of scientific advances made over the past ten years, and it upsets me because I used to be so good about keeping myself informed.

vsove on
    WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • bongibongi regular
    edited September 2008
    Apparently, spacecraft are speeding up when they gravity slingshot, and scientists don't know why. They suspect the devil.

bongi on
    edited September 2008
    i must leave you now but i want to talk about this soon

bbl

Seph on
    doit.png
  • IvarIvar Oslo, NorwayRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    v_l.jpg
    Heard there was some kind of international scientist conspiracy going on in here.

You people wouldn't happen to know anything about that, would you?

Ivar on
  • AirAir Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    you cant read science books just for fun

you need some asshole there to force you to read that shit and then reword it and do calculations and experiments and shit

maybe judge the quality of these actions with some sort of grading system perhaps
    making you hate the whole thing until it is over

Air on
    darjeelingshortsig95.jpg
    edited September 2008

When I slide my erect penis between a heaving pair of breasts, I am enacting God's will and subjugating those breasts to their rightful place under my manhood. Then I baptize her face with my water of life as a testament to God's grace.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
    edited September 2008

When I slide my erect penis between a heaving pair of breasts, I am enacting God's will and subjugating those breasts to their rightful place under my manhood. Then I baptize her face with my water of life as a testament to God's grace.

Provided that erection is natural and after your baptism you relocate your water to the woman's vagina for the purposes of procreation using a blessed turkey baster.

Butters on
  • bongibongi regular
    edited September 2008
    damnit guys cut it out

you're giving me a boner

bongi on
    edited September 2008

Provided that erection is natural and after your baptism you relocate your water to the woman's vagina for the purposes of procreation using a blessed turkey baster.

I just have her collect it in her mouth and then deposit it into one of my other wives.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
    edited September 2008
    Air wrote: »

you need some asshole there to force you to read that shit and then reword it and do calculations and experiments and shit

maybe judge the quality of these actions with some sort of grading system perhaps

I have The Demon Haunted World sitting here and I can't wait to read it.

Marathon on
    edited September 2008

I just have her collect it in her mouth and then deposit it into one of my other wives.

And the Lord did grin

Hunter on
    edited September 2008
    Marathon wrote: »
    Air wrote: »

I have The Demon Haunted World sitting here and I can't wait to read it.

excellent book

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • FAQFAQ Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I wonder if Innerspace is as good as I remember it.

better

FAQ on
    edited September 2008

I must consult with the pope on the purity of your non-sanctioned transfer of your holy seed. You may have just invented a new sacrament: Druhim's Anointing of Mammary.

Butters on
  • KrentzKrentz Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Visual Basic sucks and I hate it.

Maybe not science related, but I am programming in it for science.

Krentz on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited October 2008
    ok I'm reviving this thread to talk about science some more instead of starting yet another science thread that will just fall off the front page in a couple of days

This article is short but nonetheless I find it intriguing how the prevailing view that free radicals are the primary cause of aging may not be correct
    http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?id=rethinking-the-wrinkling
    Kim does not believe that the transcription factors are programmed to trigger aging. Instead, he speculates, their function becomes unbalanced as worms get older. Evolution, after all, selects for genes that help individuals reproduce, but once organisms have passed breeding age, they are no longer subject to its control. “Entire biological systems drift away when nature doesn’t care anymore,” Kim notes. ELT-3, ELT-5 and ELT-6 may play an important role in the development of young worms, but after their job is done, their function could go awry—and this “developmental drift,” as Kim calls it, could actually cause aging.

The study does not prove that aging in worms is driven only by developmental drift, Kennedy observes. Both damage accumulation and drift could play a role, and other genetic circuits could also be involved. But the paper certainly gives scientists “something else to think about with regards to what might be driving the aging process,” he points out. “It brings to the forefront a new hypothesis that can be tested in more detail.”

What could these findings mean for people? If aging is primarily a genetic process, conceivably it could one day be preventable. No one yet knows, however, whether the human counterparts to the ELT genes—called GATA transcription factors—might also be involved in normal aging, but it is a question Kim and his colleagues hope to address soon. “We know how human development works,” Kim says. “Now we just have to find out which of these pathways are not working as well in old humans.”

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
    edited October 2008
    dru is interested in not dying because he's practically playing bridge with Death right now.

Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
  • IskanderIskander Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Man, science is creepin me out. You got outerspace and innerspace each made up of larger and smaller things.

Atoms, what a trip, I remember atoms. Then in school it was all electrons and what have you with their charges. Ok, sure...what the hell why not, science man. Then you apparently have quarks, and superstrings or what? Ok...oh ok we got dark matter? What's that? It's like matter but not ok it exists all around us but, not on the same dimension or...something?

Then the deep hubble telescope...with your forty infinities of galaxies and what the fuck. What the fuck guys, large hadron colliders. String theory, entropy...oh ok...magnetic pole swap...ok...

It's fucking nuts it's just getting out of hand

tee hee

pole swap

Iskander on