As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Untitled [Weeaboo] Thread: All according to plan.

• Options
    kdrudykdrudy Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    no, they changed him to make him a TRUE HERO and give him an awesome robot upgrade as well, it really worked.
    Akito had no real passion in the movie, he was basically a robot doing what was vaguely the right thing. Gai would have been sad to see his friend in that state, he may have had the skills, but he didn't have the fire that would make a true giant robot pilot great.

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
  • Options
    Bad KittyBad Kitty Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Olivaw wrote: »
    Wait a second

Are we talkin' about lesbians here?

Because it's about time

Which is funny because lesbians are scarce this season. You've got Ga-Rei which I didn't bother to watch because like Blue Drop it's a terrible show with a lesbian tease; Candy Boy, which comes out once every two months and may not even count; and Penguin Musume Heart, which is . . . yeah, don't watch it unless you really really miss Lucky Star.

But we're talking about it in the context of feminism, so nothing sexy to see here.:P

Bad Kitty on
  • Options
    OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Shrimpy. For the love of god. Just go back to /m/.

On a side note, Mirobito is actually good? Eh, I guess I haven't been paying very much attention to it when it first got on Adult Swim. It looked pretty generic at first glance and didn't seem to get promoted very much. I should give it another shot.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    ClawshrimpyClawshrimpy Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I am sorry that I clash so much with you guys, but, do I really piss you guys off with what I think that much? can someone please explain to me what makes me such a hard person to talk to?
    Shrimpy. For the love of god. Just go back to /m/.

They're not going to want me around much more than you guys do. I got banned there once just for simply not liking Gundam 00.

Clawshrimpy on
  • Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    OtakuD00D wrote: »
    On a side note, Mirobito is actually good? Eh, I guess I haven't been paying very much attention to it when it first got on Adult Swim. It looked pretty generic at first glance and didn't seem to get promoted very much. I should give it another shot.

Yeah, it is really pretty good. Fairly strong fantasy elements, but the characters are pretty decent and they even develop, even some of the fairly minor ones are pretty round.

redx on
    They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    darksteeldarksteel Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

It's a really great show. It's got a fantasy edge to it, but really it's all about the characters and how they grow and develop their relationships. Not to say that the world they inhabit is generic. They do a really good job of making you feel like this is a living, breathing world with little details. Also, the animation is fantastic.

darksteel on
    shikisig6-1.jpg
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Pertinent information regarding the topic at hand

http://cache.boston.com/universal/site_graphics/blogs/bigpicture/obama_11_05/obama27_16804595.jpg

e- oops. I mean this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTXMuD_rs80

please watch up to 00:30 before deciding to quit or keep going

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Bad Kitty wrote: »
    Wait a second

Because it's about time

Which is funny because lesbians are scarce this season. You've got Ga-Rei which I didn't bother to watch because like Blue Drop it's a terrible show with a lesbian tease; Candy Boy, which comes out once every two months and may not even count; and Penguin Musume Heart, which is . . . yeah, don't watch it unless you really really miss Lucky Star.

But we're talking about it in the context of feminism, so nothing sexy to see here.:P

Damn it

I get my hopes up and all they get is dashed upon the jagged rocks of feminism

Story of my life, really

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    redx wrote: »

Yeah, it is really pretty good. Fairly strong fantasy elements, but the characters are pretty decent and they even develop, even some of the fairly minor ones are pretty round.

Cool. Is it even on AS anymore? I haven't bothered to tune in.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    A lot of Josei work has been trending more and more feminist. Kimi wa Pet and Hataraki-man both deal with the conflicting expectations of working professional women. Kimi was Pet has a drama, Hataraki-man has both a drama and anime (not very good). Erika Sakurazawa's entire work mostly features young professional women and the shitty heterosexual relationships they trap themselves with.

Huh, so that's where that art is from. Girl I dated used to send me a lot of images from that for some reason I never found out.
    Yuri work generally splits into school girl fluff and stuff that are more josei and "feminist", with seminal works like Maria-sama ga Miteru straddling the two. Yamaji Ebine is probably my favourite "mature yuri" author, and her work reflects a more bohemian free-love lifestyle. The best of school girl fluff is written by Takako Shimamura, who has a sensitivity to gender issues but presents it in an adorable slice-of-life manner, especially in Hourou Musuko (Gender Dysphoria) and oi HanaAoi Hana (well done school girl yuri). Anime works like Shoujo Kakumei Utena and Simoun aren't yuri per se, but do provide an interesting look at gender dynamics.

Are any of those in the non-sexual, non-school children genre? :P I am somewhat familiar with Utena.
    Regardless Japan is still rather regressive in this area. I find popular female author Yu Watase's works to be terribly insulting and infantilizing. It's also the reason why I am automatically weary of any VN based anime. A lot of yuri work are also very anti-femist, or at least are shallow to the point of ridicule: I hold special disdain for Strawberry Panic and Kannazuki no Miko for being mind-numbingly stupid but especially popular. Yes I am kind of an elitist.

For the most part any sort of relationship I see depicted in Manga or Anime ends up ticking me off. It's actually one of the things that led me to sticking to some Amerimanga I've run across - tends to have a lot of fan service too, but it's for both sexes and the women are often muscular and compotent.

Are you familar with Fumiko Enchi at all?

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

It's been moved to the 5:30 AM deathslot, because the new program director hates anime.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

It's been moved to the 5:30 AM deathslot, because the new program director hates anime.

They have updated the schedule:
    Time Title
    11:00 Robot Chicken (two episodes)
    11:30 Aqua Teen Hunger Force (two episodes)
    12:00 Boondocks
    12:30 Boondocks
    01:00 Bleach
    01:30 Moribito - Guardian of the Spirit
    02:00 Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion R2
    02:30 Shin-chan
    03:00 FLCL
    03:30 Death Note
    04:00 Ghost in the Shell
    04:30 Cowboy Bebop
    05:00 The Big O
    05:30 Inuyasha

* All times are Eastern/Pacific Time

Kevin Crist on
    acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Incen, you have to check out Moribito. It has a relationship that can't possibly annoy you, and a protagonist who is, simply, an utterly competent woman.

poshniallo on
    I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Man if you switched FLCL with Death Note you've have two solid hours of great programming

Too bad it's on at such an incredibly terrible time

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Behold, Goku's Oozaru forum!

dragonball-goku-monster.jpg

Jragghen on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    What the fuck? R2 is on AS? Already?

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    SlicerSlicer Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Jragghen wrote: »

This movie is going to be so awesomely terrible.

Slicer on
  • Options
    JaninJanin Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Jragghen wrote: »

what

Janin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    JouleJoule Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Wait a second

Because it's about time

I wouldn't really link Penguin to Lucky Star too much other than the memes/nico nico stuff/otaku-ish things.

Other than what you've stated above, only other potential lesbian I know of this season is in Kemeko DX. She seems more like a bisexual to me though. I guess ef has one too if you want to stretch it.

I can't really think of any particularly feminist focused manga that I've read. Something like Solanin might be close but feminism isn't really its focus. Speaking of Inio Asano, I think I'm going to have to read Nijigahara Holograph a few times to really try to take it all in.

Joule on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    A lot of Josei work has been trending more and more feminist. Kimi wa Pet and Hataraki-man both deal with the conflicting expectations of working professional women. Kimi was Pet has a drama, Hataraki-man has both a drama and anime (not very good). Erika Sakurazawa's entire work mostly features young professional women and the shitty heterosexual relationships they trap themselves with.

Huh, so that's where that art is from. Girl I dated used to send me a lot of images from that for some reason I never found out.
    Yuri work generally splits into school girl fluff and stuff that are more josei and "feminist", with seminal works like Maria-sama ga Miteru straddling the two. Yamaji Ebine is probably my favourite "mature yuri" author, and her work reflects a more bohemian free-love lifestyle. The best of school girl fluff is written by Takako Shimamura, who has a sensitivity to gender issues but presents it in an adorable slice-of-life manner, especially in Hourou Musuko (Gender Dysphoria) and oi HanaAoi Hana (well done school girl yuri). Anime works like Shoujo Kakumei Utena and Simoun aren't yuri per se, but do provide an interesting look at gender dynamics.
    Are any of those in the non-sexual, non-school children genre? :P I am somewhat familiar with Utena.

If you're looking at anime there's not much to choose from. Simoun's cast are girls aged 17-21 but does take place in a mono-gendered theocracy with the ability to change sexes. Mnemosyne features a really sexy and mature protagonist, but the show itself is bad.

For manga I can't recommend Yamaji Ebine's works like Free Soul and Love My Life enough since her protagonists are college-aged and older. Erika Sakurazawa also does some yuri work that's spliced into her short stories. Hourou Musuko is great even though it features school children because while it's not sexual it does deal with issues of gender identity.
    Regardless Japan is still rather regressive in this area. I find popular female author Yu Watase's works to be terribly insulting and infantilizing. It's also the reason why I am automatically weary of any VN based anime. A lot of yuri work are also very anti-femist, or at least are shallow to the point of ridicule: I hold special disdain for Strawberry Panic and Kannazuki no Miko for being mind-numbingly stupid but especially popular. Yes I am kind of an elitist.
    For the most part any sort of relationship I see depicted in Manga or Anime ends up ticking me off. It's actually one of the things that led me to sticking to some Amerimanga I've run across - tends to have a lot of fan service too, but it's for both sexes and the women are often muscular and compotent.

Are you familar with Fumiko Enchi at all?

I've never heard of her.

One of my problems with most relationships in manga or anime is the disparate power imbalance in the relationship. Shoujo manga is more guilty of this. Usually it's the girl and she's dependent or hopeless or situated in such a way that there is just no growth to the character or to the relationship. Two wonderful exceptions are Arima and Yukino from KareKano and Rei and Kira from Mars. Those are great relationships because they are mutually supporting and inter-dependent (although Arima becomes a bit dependent on Yukino in KareKano). Yuri shows have a greater chance, even more so than Yaoi, of achieving that type of relationship, though shows like Strawberry Panic slip into the typical dominant/submissive relationship that I dislike about yaoi.

Bad Kitty on
  • Options
    ErgandarErgandar Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Out of curiosity, do you read/watch exclusively manga that doesn't have even the slightest hint of sexism?

That must pare down your options to quite a small number of manga/shows.

Not saying you're missing out on much, but still. :P

Ergandar on
    RachelSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I think it's odd how talking about feminism in manga and anime apparently involves talking about lesbians

I guess this is one of those "oh Japan" type scenarios

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Gunbuster! Rampant boobage aside, it does have a strong female lead that comes into her own when push comes to shove!

.....:D

I'm half joking don't hurt meee
    (damn. How do some of still manage to do the miroscopic text? I'm failing pretty hard here. I still haven't figured out how the new forums do it.)

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    juice for jesusjuice for jesus Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    PikaPuff wrote: »
    e- oops. I mean this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTXMuD_rs80

please watch up to 00:30 before deciding to quit or keep going

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

juice for jesus on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    What the fuck? R2 is on AS? Already?

First ep was last week. They are running the first three eps then doing reruns of CG season 1. Odd, I know.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    JouleJoule Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Wow that is a hilarious dub.

Joule on
  • Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I think it's odd how talking about feminism in manga and anime apparently involves talking about lesbians

I guess this is one of those "oh Japan" type scenarios

I think it's more of a Bad Kitty scenario.

I think in my whole life I've read or watched about 3 or 4 fictions which had sex or romantic wish-fulfilment as the main point which weren't trite and shallow.

poshniallo on
    I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

They have updated the schedule:
    Time Title
    11:00 Robot Chicken (two episodes)
    11:30 Aqua Teen Hunger Force (two episodes)
    12:00 Boondocks
    12:30 Boondocks
    01:00 Bleach
    01:30 Moribito - Guardian of the Spirit
    02:00 Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion R2
    02:30 Shin-chan
    03:00 FLCL
    03:30 Death Note
    04:00 Ghost in the Shell
    04:30 Cowboy Bebop
    05:00 The Big O
    05:30 Inuyasha

* All times are Eastern/Pacific Time

That is one hell of a schedule.

When Inuyasha is the worst show on there you know you're doing good.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I don't know if it goes in this thread, but does Boondocks have new episodes yet?

Thetheroo on
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Thetheroo wrote: »
    I don't know if it goes in this thread, but does Boondocks have new episodes yet?

No. It only recently got greenlit for a third season.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Ergandar wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, do you read/watch exclusively manga that doesn't have even the slightest hint of sexism?

That must pare down your options to quite a small number of manga/shows.

Not saying you're missing out on much, but still. :P

I watch anime to have fun and for entertainment. Applying a feminist critique to every thing would leave me a bitter, angry person and no different from feminazis like Andrea Dworkin. Then I'm no longer having fun or being entertained. It's silly to keep watching something you don't enjoy.

What bothers me are some of the real egregious sexism, the kind that truly objectifies people. I'm not completely opposed to fanservice since I like it when women are both sexy and sexual and I just ignore the rest. I can tolerate a lot, really. There are times when it becomes impossible to ignore or the fanservice just becomes lewd and not sexy. It's a case-by-case basis on context.

For example, I love Macross Frontier overall and Sheryl is my favourite character. She's sexy, brash, confident, and mature. However the show started to really piss me off when instead of presenting how sexy Sheryl was during her concert, it simply focused on her groin or her breasts for more time than was necessary. That didn't stop me watching the show, but it sure did irk me. Similarly, my much loved Macross 7 has an episode called Fleet of the Strongest Women that was the most sexist thing I've seen in Macross that I had to stop watching for a bit.

Aroduc made a great point a while back that even though he got shit for watching Penguin Musume Heart for all the panty shots, it was less disturbing than all the crotch and groin shots that people were enjoying in Code Geass. I'm inclined to agree. Presentation and context matter and can affect how two similar things can have different effects.

Err...this really started as a critique on a pedophillic show and how it distorts sexuality. It's easy to segue into similar distortions. God, I hope I don't turn into another Erica Friedman. D:

Bad Kitty on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Penguin Musume Heart has panty shots? brb

juice for jesus on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Hah, I just realized that not wanting anything sexist in any of my shows would turn me into ClawShrimpy. That kind of sanitation just doesn't seem healthy, does it?

Bad Kitty on
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Hah, I just realized that not wanting anything sexist in any of my shows would turn me into ClawShrimpy. That kind of sanitation just doesn't seem healthy, does it?

No, because I would say avoiding sexism isn't a bad thing.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    All things in moderation.

juice for jesus on
  • Options
    edited November 2008

Anything that turns you into Clawshrimpy is a bad thing I would say

Even Clawshrimpy doesn't like Clawshrimpy

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Posh: Bookmarked for later study.

--

BK: I'm mostly interested in manga anyways. Anime is too expensive for what usually proves to be poorer content. Also I can't browse through it at Borders. :P

Free Soul looks interesting... Love of My Life sounds incredibly cheesy though, after reading the spoiled ending. :P

Personally I'm not especially attracted to yuri/yaoi kind of stuff. I'm not averse to it, but it's not something I have enough personal experience with to put into full context. That and, as you suggested, they tend to just turn into the typical masculine/feminine thing but with matching genitals.

As for Fumiko Enchi, she's one of the more important Japanese feminists ever. I highly reccomend Masks.

--

Sexism in a show is fine if the characters are sexist. When the author and thus the whole narrative is sexist then it tends to be horrible and creepy.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited November 2008

That was phrased wrong. It was supposed to be "anything having to do with sex".

Bad Kitty on
  • Options
    ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2008

That was phrased wrong. It was supposed to be "anything having to do with sex".

I still don't get why you guys were giving him such a hard time for not being interested in sexuality, as I was under the impression that him not procreating was kind of our goal. I mean, weren't you guys going to reimburse me for the hacksaw?

Besides,with his fixation on action, it's obvious that he likes guro. Now all I have to figure out is why I know that term.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Look, he can't wrap his head around the fact that not everyone has as severe Asperger's as he does and therefore is obsessive about specific minutiae that a normal viewer would consider but a small part of the whole whereas cannot help but consider a vital aspect that makes or breaks something for him.

DarkPrimus on
This discussion has been closed.