As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Hardware interrupts 20-80% of my CPU load.

durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
edited September 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
So just recently, around 2-3 nights ago, my computer started slowing down. At the same time, Process Explorer was reporting that hardware interrupts made up most of my CPU load. From then on, any time I do anything on my computer, interrupts average around 50% of the CPU load, and cause noticeable audio hitching and slowdown.

That shouldn't be happening. Why is it happening, and how can I fix it? I'm running Windows XP SP2 on an Intel iMac.

So far I've run Avast, Spybot S&D, and Adaware. I've also defragmented and run chkdsk.

Tell me there's something else I can do that doesn't involve re-installing.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
durandal4532 on

• Options
    JHunzJHunz Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    It's possible this is a hardware issue. I ran into much the same thing last year and it turned out that a certain model of video card from a certain manufacturer tended towards a defect that caused it to start to fail and generate a ludicrous number of hardware interrupts.
    It's unlikely that you have that particular card (I think it was an Nvidia 8800GT?) in an Intel iMac, but just be aware that it's not necessarily a software problem.

JHunz on
    bunny.gif Gamertag: JHunz. R.I.P. Mygamercard.net bunny.gif