Options

[Politics RPG] The elections in Hell: Signups

2»

• Options
    urbmanurbman Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    i want in but im a luker so that makes me a blogger, what does a blogger do in this game?

urbman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Bloggers bitch about stuff and have no direct impact on gameplay. (I'm noticing the keyword is 'direct', though. Given mod blessing, and given some work above and beyond the call of duty, we might see some Dan Rather stuff going on.)

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited October 2006
    For all the folks who are saying that you do not have the time to play the game...

It isn't exactly something you HAVE to play daily. It is set up that once a week, polls come in, you make a plan for your week, and then you execute it. You can do an AMAZINGLY good campaign on one hour of planning and prep a week if you wanted to.

Of course, you could choose to play daily, and react to things as they happen. You might fare better that way, but there isn't a great deal of number crunching or anything that will make this too much of a commitment. It is just spread out over a month. If you have time to post in the forums, you totally have time to play this if you want to.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited October 2006
    Okay, so we have the current list of folks who have shown interest so far:

Demogogue
    Orikaeshigitae: Hunter S. Thompson (P)
    Aroduc: Liú Bèi
    Elkamil: ?

Populist
    Premier kakos: Socrates
    Napoleon: Napoleon Bonaparte
    Hacksaw: King Leonidas I
    mtvcdm: Genghis Khan
    aeolist: Joseph McCarthy (P)

The ones in italics have finalized their submissions. Everyone else, please get your submissions to mcc or I soon, so we can get the ball rolling.

edit: we also have room for two more players, both demogogue, so get on it if you want in.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I sent mine to mcc; didn't he tell you?

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    mtvcdm wrote:
    I sent mine to mcc; didn't he tell you?
    Go ahead and bounce it to me as well. We can go from there.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    mccmcc glitch Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2006
    You did?

How did you send it to me?

mcc on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    mcc wrote:
    You did?

How did you send it to me?
    I e-mailed it to the address in your profile.

Gosling on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    OK... yeah, you did, it just got buried in the spam. Sorry about that.

mcc on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Okay you are added to the list. Thanks for the submission!

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2006
    Hunter Thompson killed himself in February of 2005.

He refuses to tell anyone why.

In the meantime, he's applied for karmic rebirth; considering his accomplishments during his lifetime on Earth, it's looking good, so all he's got to do is wait --

but most of what Hell has to offer recreationally he's already done. Thompson is jaded in Hell, so he goes back to what he's always done best -- writing.

Writing about politics, no less, because since most of Hell is made up of famous authors and extraordinarily odd things happen on a daily basis, the fiction market's tapped.

He's decided to support the Demagogue candidates for the same reason that he'd said shortly before his death that he'd rather have voted for Nixon instead of Bush -- in a limited system, you do the best you can.

Politics is the art of controlling your environment, and HST is a mastermind.

He doesn't agree with every aspect of the Demagogue platform (and will be covering the election from more of a independent viewpoint than a partisan one); he's against Old Money but for personal freedom, and honesty is still the best policy, even in Hell.

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    cool deal.

Did you know that if you lick a demon, you get a buzz?

I am sure Hunter knows ;)

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    List Updated

Demogogue
    Orikaeshigitae: Hunter S. Thompson (P)
    Aroduc: Liú Bèi
    Elkamil: ?

Populist
    Premier kakos: Socrates
    Napoleon: Napoleon Bonaparte
    Hacksaw: King Leonidas I
    mtvcdm: Genghis Khan
    aeolist: Joseph McCarthy (P)

The ones in italics have finalized their submissions. Everyone else, please get your submissions to mcc or I soon, so we can get the ball rolling.

edit: we also have room for two more players, both demogogue, so get on it if you want in.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited October 2006
    Pfft. We can take 'em easy.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    NapoleonNapoleon Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Ack. My background for Napoleon in hell s on the way to MCC and syndalis soon. I got a bit carried away with it.. but I was having fun so oh well.

Edit- SENT! Again, sorry if it's convoluted, I wrote it in an hour on no sleep, but I think Napoleon Bonaparte will make for an interesting candidate.

Napoleon on
    Napoleon+1796.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Napoleon wrote:
    Ack. My background for Napoleon in hell s on the way to MCC and syndalis soon. I got a bit carried away with it.. but I was having fun so oh well.

Edit- SENT! Again, sorry if it's convoluted, I wrote it in an hour on no sleep, but I think Napoleon Bonaparte will make for an interesting candidate.
    :^:

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Sooo, anything new? We starting sometime this week?

Napoleon on
    Napoleon+1796.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Napoleon wrote:
    Sooo, anything new? We starting sometime this week?
    We are still short enough submissions to run this thing currently. If we had both pundits and two piliticans from each party, we could begin a smaller version so some of the people sitting on the outside could see how this works and hop in... but we still lack enough Demogogues to make it happen.

As soon as we get another Demogogue submission, this thing can start up.

edit: Of course, I would still love to see everyone who threw their hat into the ring finish up their subs, and get two more players... but we will go with what we have, as soon as we hit the numbers I mentioned.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    Beige ATMBeige ATM Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Looks too numbers-based for me, but an interesting concept.

Beige ATM on
    And if the music stops... there's only the sound of the rain
    All the hope and glory, all the sacrifice in vain
    And if love remains, though everything is lost,
    We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost.

Rush - "Bravado"
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Beige ATM wrote:
    Looks too numbers-based for me, but an interesting concept.
    The numbers are representative of the polls, and how to sway your constituents to vote. The truth of the matter is, aside from the poll numbers, you the player will no interaction with dice or anything else; its all behind the scenes. You juat get to decide exactly how to attack your opposition / boost yourself, and we handle the rest.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Bump?

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    thegloamingthegloaming Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I want to get involved, but I'm afraid if I'm doing this and Wangshire, the quality of my participation in both will lessen. Still, it's not as if I have much better to do.

thegloaming on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    I want to get involved, but I'm afraid if I'm doing this and Wangshire, the quality of my participation in both will lessen. Still, it's not as if I have much better to do.

Im doing both, and will rock both. Do it.

Napoleon on
    Napoleon+1796.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Okay, I am ready to start taking people over to the forum, and establishing your office.

mcc and I are still down for running this on Monday... so we need to get things in gear here.

If I have not spoken to you, and you want in, PLEASE PM me and i will arrange a means for you to register at the Party Headquarters.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    syndalis wrote:
    Okay, I am ready to start taking people over to the forum, and establishing your office.

mcc and I are still down for running this on Monday... so we need to get things in gear here.

If I have not spoken to you, and you want in, PLEASE PM me and i will arrange a means for you to register at the Party Headquarters.

You're not playing here? Where are you playing?

I was kinda hoping to be able to, y'no, spectate.

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    syndalis wrote:

Oh, we are totally playing here.

But there are two political parties at war with each other, and they have private rooms they get to go to for their conversations. Essentially, each politician has an office. The discussions of the office are private, unless they are spied on.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    syndalis wrote:
    syndalis wrote:

Oh, we are totally playing here.

But there are two political parties at war with each other, and they have private rooms they get to go to for their conversations. Essentially, each politician has an office. The discussions of the office are private, unless they are spied on.

Ooh, okay. Cool.

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Also note that we still have room for two more players... I KNOW there are folks who would enjoyt his. Don't let the rules scare you, it will be a blast, I promise.

edit: the two open slots are Demogogue

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    syndalis auth me or i rape your pets

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    syndalis auth me or i rape your pets
    you should be authorized

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    Cosmic SombreroCosmic Sombrero Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I...I guess I can play! I'm still a little fuzzy on all the rules and issues, but I can read through it a bit more. I'm thinking of playing of Idi Amin, or maybe Nicoli Tesla. Anyway, I'll try and work on this tomorrow.

Cosmic Sombrero on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Idi Amin would be pretty funny. However, it comes to mind Nicola Tesla would be a great candidate for the circle of Heretics.

mcc on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    so, uh

we doing this thing

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Has the game started? Or has this died? I see the Populit forum is up and running, but Im not sure what I should exactly be doing there, or when. Also, in the Newsroom of Napoleon, it says "you have been made the pundit!" Now, I thought I would be running for an office. I can do pundit though. Just curious.

Napoleon on
    Napoleon+1796.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Is this still going on? Why haven't I recieved access to the Populist forum? I PM'd syndalis, but I got no response.

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    This is my first computer access in three days (hi from Phoenix!), and seeing as jack squat has happened since I left, I'd venture to guess the game's more or less dead. Especially since this was supposed to coincide with the actual elections.

Gosling on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    That's what I'm thinking. :|

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Not to be a jackass, but I suspected Wangshire 1 was going to be a fluke and I think it will turn out to have been the only successful forum game. For giggles here is the backstory I submitted to Syndalis for the game(written on no-sleep):

Napoleon Bonaparte was not happy on May 5th, 1821. He had been in bed, dying from arsenic poisoning one moment, and the next he found himself in the last place he thought he would ever be. Napoleon Bonaparte, elected Emperor of the French, was in Hell.

He had never believed in a god or devil and thusly didn't believe in a heaven or hell. Napoleon had only believed in himself and his genius, relying on intellect and strategy rather than faith and hope. Napoleon was full of righteous indignation. In other words, he was f***inpissed. What the hell( no pun intended) had he, who had elevated France to unprecedented glory and splendor, he who had preserved the Revolution and brought into being the Code Napoleon, done to deserve being put into what could very well possibly be the worst place in the universe?

He stopped not at all to weep or contemplate feeling terror at the prospects he faced in this den of horrors; instead upon the realization of where he was he screamed out his fury at whatever cosmic power or force that had put him here, as loud as he could, a part of his brain perhaps hoping that the ferocity of his outburst could undo what had been done to him. But he merely succeeded in wreaking his voice, and so he then vented his anger by kicking out at the nearest individual.

But by some great irony, or may haps it was some morose providence, the realization of who he had just struck with his foot struck the Emperor like a 12lb shot. It was none other than Michel Ney, once Napoleon's bravest Marshal, who had betrayed his Emperor and within the same year returned to Him, only to turn the Emperor's strategic plans into disaster at Quatre Bras and Waterloo.

Napoleon was struck by ambivalence. He wanted to strangle this man, this man whom Napoleon had risen to the rank of Marshal and Prince. But the sentimentality and love within him came though to the surface and he embraced the perhaps even more shocked Ney.

Ney led Napoleon back to his dwelling, and Napoleon caught Ney up on what had happened since Ney had been executed by Louis XVIII in 1815. Ney took all in stead, and vowed to the Emperor that he did not regret his having been executed for supporting Napoleon. Fast forwarding abit, Ney introduced Napoleon to the everyday goings on and societal structure of Hell to Napoleon. Napoleon quickly adapted and in fact learned to enjoy this second life. He especially looked forward to seeing his betrayers and enemies arrive to his new home, so that he might wreak some piece of vengeance on them.

Napoleon’s start in Hell politics came about when he heard of the S.T.A.I.R.W.A.Y. project. This immediately peaked his interest, as he had partaken in many a discussion over whether god and heaven exist, and what other planes of theological existence might, in fact, exist. He quickly became enraptured by this new interest, and after Ney told him of them, started attending Expansionist meetings. Napoleon had resigned almost immediately upon his arrival to Hell any ideas of escape, and had in fact begun to enjoy life in Hell, if only as a coping mechanism, but the STAIRWAY project and the Expansionist agenda provided him with fresh hope that he could perhaps escape to heaven, or perhaps the Muslim paradise, or one of the other utopian afterlives. He decided the best way for him to get himself out of Hell was to employ himself in the political sphere. This lead him to see the Populist party as the best vehicle for his mission, as they supported STAIRWAY and had the backing of Industry and Old Money, two factions Napoleon admired and respected.

Napoleon did not agree with 100% of the parties views on the issues; he thought the idea of coitus with a ‘demon’ disgusting to the utmost degree, but that was nothing compared to the all-important STAIRWAY project. Napoleon ruthlessly worked his way up the rungs in the Populist party, and finally announced his candidacy for a seat in Parliament. He plans on waging a verbal and written war on the Demagogues, whom he views as weak ideologically; their opposition to the STAIRWAY project and improvement to transportation between levels is diametrically opposed to his own. Napoleon was not the most gifted politician in his earthly life; in fact is was a large weak point of his, due to his being stubborn to a fault, having too great of confidence in his position, and his reliance on threats and bullying. He was good as dividing his enemies and confusing them, however, and this allowed him time for military victories.

In Hell, however, he might not do so well, but he will do his damndest to get STAIRWAY finished, and to see through and other promising Expansionist projects. And the best way he sees these necessities being accomplished is to get into Parliament himself and pass through the necessary legislature.

Some quote of Napoleon’s do a decent job of framing Napoleons political philosophy and the way he will carry out this campaign:

If you wish to be success in the world, promise everything, deliver nothing.

In politics... never retreat, never retract... never admit a mistake.

Bloodletting is among the ingredients of political medicine.

In war, as in politics, no evil - even if it is permissible under the rules - is excusable unless it is absolutely necessary. Everything beyond that is a crime.

Governments keep their promises only when they are forced, or when it is to their advantage to do so.

A true master of politics is able to calculate, down to the smallest fraction, the advantages to which he may put his very faults.

In politics, stupidity is not a handicap.

In politics, an absurdity is not a handicap.

To negotiate is not to do as one likes.

Men are more easily governed through their vices than their virtues.

The herd seek out the great, not for their sake, but for their influence; and the great welcome them out of vanity or need.

Better to have a known enemy than a forced ally.

Napoleon on
    Napoleon+1796.gif