As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Internet Through Coax Cable

SentrySentry Registered User regular
edited September 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
So, I just moved into my friends place, and she gets internet through a coaxial cable (yay Cox :( ). The router is in the room I am staying in. My question is, can I split off the coax at the router and run a line into my TV? I mean, the coax carries both the internet and TV, so there shouldn't really be a problem, right?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
wrote:
When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
Sentry on

• Dance CommanderDance Commander Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    It's only going to be a problem if the signal strength is already really weak. If the wiring in the house seems new, then it probably won't be an issue. Even if it's not, it probably won't be an issue. Go for it.

Dance Commander on
  • WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Are you sure the coax doesn't split off into a cable box before hitting the TV?

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Willeth wrote: »
    Are you sure the coax doesn't split off into a cable box before hitting the TV?

nope. No cable box. it's running directly into the router, and the other end is running into a wall in the other room.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • DeShadowCDeShadowC Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Yes you can do this but it'll lower signal strength. If the signal is too weak you'll get packet loss, slow surf, and intermittent connection. But it you have a perfect signal already and go through a decent splitter you won't notice a difference.

DeShadowC on
  • ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    DeShadowC wrote: »
    Yes you can do this but it'll lower signal strength. If the signal is too weak you'll get packet loss, slow surf, and intermittent connection. But it you have a perfect signal already and go through a decent splitter you won't notice a difference.
    This is it, exactly.

Thanatos on
    edited September 2008
    If you're really in the mood for more specifics. Go to 192.168.100.1 and post your signals in here. I'll let you know if they can handle a splitter.

And Than I'd hope I'm right I do work for the internet department of a cable company :)

DeShadowC on
    edited September 2008
    learn me wise one...

WebSTAR DPC2100R2
    Modem Serial Number

Hardware Version

Software Version

v2.0.2r1256-060303
    Receive Power Level

-2.3 dBmV
    Transmit Power Level

50.0 dBmV
    Cable Modem Status

Operational

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    edited September 2008
    Your signals are actually a little weak. The Transmit shouldn't go above 48db, so you're already in the red there, and the receive needs to be -3 to 3, the closer to 0 the better. So you're already at the borderline of a bad signal, with a splitter you'll go over and start having noticeable performance loss.

DeShadowC on
    edited September 2008
    DeShadowC wrote: »
    Your signals are actually a little weak. The Transmit shouldn't go above 48db, so you're already in the red there, and the receive needs to be -3 to 3, the closer to 0 the better. So you're already at the borderline of a bad signal, with a splitter you'll go over and start having noticeable performance loss.

yeah, going through the apartment it looks like they've already split it three times... ah well... Hulu is my tv now.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote: