As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Dagorhir: NOT LARPING

BucketmanBucketman Call meSkraggRegistered User regular
edited October 2008 in Critical Failures
So ok Dagorhir. its a thing my old roomie got me into. I did it with him a few times, and liked it and I totally forgot that theres a local group (like 5 minutes from my house) and I'm eagerly looking into it. Basically it LOOKS like LARPing, but its not. Currently at the big event going on there filming for the new Discovery Channel show "Adventure Guy". So you may hear about it again soon.

Basically a LARP is whats called "Tap" fighting, you roleplay DnD style and you tap people with your weapons or spells or whatever.

Dagorhir, however is full contact fighting, you use weapons that look nothing like the real thing, but thats because you beat the ever loving shit out of each other. With Dag, you don't HAVE to play a role, most people definately do but there not like super serious about it and most just use it as an excuse to wear leather or chain armor. Hell half the guys I see doing it at the smaller events just wear a dark t-shirt and sweatpants.

Heres a rundown of weapons, note that you can do pretty much whatever you want as long as you follow some basic safety guildelines:

Green-Stabbing Weapons
greensde0.jpg
Basically daggers and small couch foamish material weapons, good for quick people

Blue-Small arms
m7717051e35058587fbde1bbr2.jpg
The most basic type of weapon, and the most broad catorgory. This pic doesn't do them justice. Sure you can do swords, but I've seen hammers, axes, flails, maces, Katanas, Javalins (count as a blue for melee or a green if thrown) and tons more

Red-Big Arms
bighammercn6.jpg
Big old dudes. These guys can break shields and do lots of damage, just like the blues theres a lot of room for variety here and I've seen some really creative ones.

Shields: A shield. I can't find a good pic of them but you can do anything from a punch shield (Small and used to..well punch) to a big full body shield for rushing and slamming people.

Bows: Green...kinda, all ranged (bows, throwing weapons) must have a soft green tip, but bows rock.
arrow2ws4.jpg w768.png
Basically you go out and get a old fashion wood bow. A real one. Then you tape it up for safety, and you get arrow shafts of your likeing, and you put foam tips on them. Trust me the tips don't weigh much and bows still get PLENTY of distance.

Heres a few videos I could find (lots of lame music videos for this out there):
So yeah, its pretty cool and if this peaks your interest I suggest you go to the offical site (www.dagorhir.com) and see if theres a chapter near you!

Bucketman on

• MoSiAcMoSiAc Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Interesting to say the least. I'd be really worried that someone's weapon wasn't up to spec, do you all usually have judges check the weapons and what not before battles to make sure everything is safe? I'd rather not take a hit only to realize someone "forgot" their padding or it was a little thinner than it should be.

MoSiAc on
    Monster Hunter Tri US: MoSiAc - U46FJF - Katrice | RipTen - Gaming News | Los Comics
  • DyvionDyvion Back in Sunny Florida!!Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    That's... unique. I've never heard of it before, but if I ever move somewhere that's not the middle of freaking nowhere, I'll look around and see if I can find a group.

It actually looks like fun.

Dyvion on
    Steam: No Safety In Life
    PSN: Dyvion -- Eternal: Dyvion+9393 -- Genshin Impact: Dyvion
  • delrolanddelroland Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I've had only bad experiences with these guys. They're kind of elitist pricks who like to pwn noobs.

"Oh yeah, you can use this to do this. I'm a veteran, though, so all I have to do is fart in your general direction with my special power and you instantaneously explode into gibblets. I win!"

delroland on
    EVE: Online - the most fun you will ever have not playing a game.
    "Go up, thou bald head." -2 Kings 2:23
  • BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    MoSiAc wrote: »
    Interesting to say the least. I'd be really worried that someone's weapon wasn't up to spec, do you all usually have judges check the weapons and what not before battles to make sure everything is safe? I'd rather not take a hit only to realize someone "forgot" their padding or it was a little thinner than it should be.

Yeah, before every battle theres weapon checks, which amounts to 2 judges, one takes his shirt off and the other whacks him in the back as hard as he can with the weapon to see if it hurts really bad
    delroland wrote:
    I've had only bad experiences with these guys. They're kind of elitist pricks who like to pwn noobs.

"Oh yeah, you can use this to do this. I'm a veteran, though, so all I have to do is fart in your general direction with my special power and you instantaneously explode into gibblets. I win!"

I have no idea what your talking about...theres no "Powers" except for your 'Hitting that guy with a sword' power. You might be thinking of Amptguard, which has similar rules but is more for roleplaying and has wizards and such.

Bucketman on
    edited September 2008
    Bucketman wrote: »
    delroland wrote:

I have no idea what your talking about...theres no "Powers" except for your 'Hitting that guy with a sword' power. You might be thinking of Amptguard, which has similar rules but is more for roleplaying and has wizards and such.

Yeah, that's possible. Still, a dress code for a game is kind of dickish to the noobs. Inclusion > exclusion.

delroland on
    edited September 2008
    delroland wrote: »
    delroland wrote:

Yeah, that's possible. Still, a dress code for a game is kind of dickish to the noobs. Inclusion > exclusion.

The dress code for newer players consists of not jeans and a t-shirt. I wear an inside out brown t-shirt and gray sweat pants, with black shoes.

Bucketman on
    edited September 2008
    delroland wrote:

The dress code for newer players consists of not jeans and a t-shirt. I wear an inside out brown t-shirt and gray sweat pants, with black shoes.

And no sneakers, so you get to shell out a hundred for leather shoes or boots which you are just going to end up ruining in the mud.

Seriously, who gives two shits if the new guy wearing jeans walks up and says, "That looks cool, can I play?" If your answer is, "No. Go change clothes, then come back," then you are doing it wrong.

delroland on
    edited September 2008
    delroland wrote:

And no sneakers, so you get to shell out a hundred for leather shoes or boots which you are just going to end up ruining in the mud.

Seriously, who gives two shits if the new guy wearing jeans walks up and says, "That looks cool, can I play?" If your answer is, "No. Go change clothes, then come back," then you are doing it wrong.

Well that depends on who is running that group. Out here, thats almost exactly what my first practice was. I went out and bought a pair of black slip on shoes (not leather or anything expensive) and got some basic stuff and used that for awhile. My group is fine with that, and I haven't gotten any lip at any events. However I would LOVE to get some armor or something eventully. but yeah, that expensive.

Bucketman on
  • JarofmoldymayoJarofmoldymayo __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2008
    One of my friends does this.

Actually is pretty fun from just trying it out behind my house.

Thinking of getting the stuff and having him help me make a sword and joining him sometime.

It's really sorta a medieval combat simulation sport as I can best describe it, but I think it would be fun as hell to test your skill against other guys.

Jarofmoldymayo on
  • INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    What's wrong with jeans and tennis shoes? I'm not going to be kicking anybody, right?

INeedNoSalt on
    edited September 2008
    What's wrong with jeans and tennis shoes? I'm not going to be kicking anybody, right?

It ruins the sense of immersion, or something.

delroland on
    edited September 2008

t-shirts and sweat pants don't? >>

INeedNoSalt on
    edited September 2008
    As long as they are inside out, no.

---

We should stop teasing them. They have fun playing this game, so more power to them.

delroland on
    edited September 2008

t-shirts and sweat pants don't? >>

eh I know, its silly. Its just one of the major rules that was made when the game was created back in like the 70's or whatever and the guys who run "The Council" decided to keep it. My old group didn't give a fuck. Espically durring winter. The group here at home discourges it durring the summer but durring winter its like "FUCK IT COLD!! WEAR A COAT!" so it dosen't matter much. Hell I even went to an event in tennis shoes and only 1 guy was like "HES NOT IN GARB!!" and everyone told him to shut up.

It all depends on whos in charge.

Bucketman on
  • PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I saw a documentary called "Darkon," which looks like it was about pretty much the same thing. I think it looks pretty interesting. It sort of reminds me of "Fight Club," where sometimes people just need to whack the shit out of someone.

PolloDiablo on
  • PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I don't see how this could possibly go wrong.

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • JubehJubeh Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I used to do this with friends, but it wasn't Dag. We used those lightsaber toys and just did it in our backyards. <-- Awesome sentence out of context.

But seriously, I've always wanted to play this but I don't know anywhere around here that does it.

Jubeh on
  • JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Starting Defense Place at the tableRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Larping.

JohnnyCache on
    edited September 2008
    Larping.

With injuries!

Dyvion on
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Dyvion wrote: »
    Larping.

With injuries!

Shit, the foam scraped my arm! Shit!

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • minigunwielderminigunwielder __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2008
    Larping.

With injuries!

We have fixed the gazebo in time for LARPStock!

minigunwielder on
    edited October 2008
    Larping.

With injuries!

We have fixed the gazebo in time for LARPStock!

"Jimmy! It's time to come in for dinner!"

"Ok Mom, I'll be right in! Sorry guys, my mom is calling."

Dyvion on
  • Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Me and my brother used to play this.

I'd be all, "Bang, I shot you!" and he'd be all, "Nuh uh! You missed! I shot you first!" It was wild.

Sir Carcass on
    edited October 2008
    Wow...a bunch of people who spend their time discussing and playing games in dark basements and getting made fun of it by most people criticizing a game that someone else chooses to play because they find it "Uncool"

Do me a favor and if you don't have anything constructive to add to the conversation please stay out of the thread and go do a Phalla.

Bucketman on
  • JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Starting Defense Place at the tableRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Wow...a bunch of people who spend their time discussing and playing games in dark basements and getting made fun of it by most people criticizing a game that someone else chooses to play because they find it "Uncool"

Do me a favor and if you don't have anything constructive to add to the conversation please stay out of the thread and go do a Phalla.

It's live action

There's role playing involved

so

see

that's

"Larping"

the l stand for live, the a for action, the r for role, and the p for playing.

in what world is it not larping?

"we do live action stuff where most people play some sort of role, but it's NOT LARPING."

Yes it is, dude. It's larping. You're a larper. You can get help, you can defend larping, you can talk about how YOUR larping is different, but you, sir, are a larper.

I, however, have no issue with that.

JohnnyCache on
    edited October 2008
    Yeah, basically, most LARP is like WoD stuff where you write 'GUN' on a piece of paper, but that doesn't mean it stops being LARP if you write 'BULLET' on a piece of foam and throw it at someone.

INeedNoSalt on
  • IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    So this is basically just nerf wars with a melee focus and also they LARP for no reason?

Incenjucar on
    edited October 2008
    It's SCA fighting with SLIGHTLY better rules.

You still can't shield bash or kick someone or knock someone out or use a real stick

JohnnyCache on
    edited October 2008

You still can't shield bash or kick someone or knock someone out or use a real stick

You obviously didn't watch the videos... there was much shieldbashing to be had, and the people did rejoice, "yaaaay."

But seriously, it does look like fun.

Dyvion on
    edited October 2008

It's live action

so

see

that's

"Larping"

"we do live action stuff where most people play some sort of role, but it's NOT LARPING."

Yes it is, dude. It's larping. You're a larper. You can get help, you can defend larping, you can talk about how YOUR larping is different, but you, sir, are a larper.

no it wasn't you calling it larping that ticked me off. And hell, even if I stright up said it was larping, its all the people after you who where making stupid jokes.

Bucketman on
    edited October 2008

You obviously didn't watch the videos... there was much shieldbashing to be had, and the people did rejoice, "yaaaay."

But seriously, it does look like fun.

No, I mean rim of shield + temple, not "I butt your padded shield with MY padded shield."

If you can't hit, hard, and meaningfully, with the rim of shield, you can't use it right. (since there really is no hard, meaningful hitting in this, a shield bash would have to score some sort of point. . . and a shield would have to be good for more then two weapon hits)

Boffer games are fun. Sparring with weapons is fun. I don't know why people INSIST on intertwining them with medieval recreation and then denying that's what they're doing, but I'm not going to look you in the eye and say they aren't fun.

JohnnyCache on
    edited October 2008

It's live action

so

see

that's

"Larping"

no it wasn't you calling it larping that ticked me off. And hell, even if I stright up said it was larping, its all the people after you who where making stupid jokes.

Well, you have to admit, dude, there is some painfully dorky shit going on at some of these events. The sort of shit that makes a person want to make a robot that gives wedgies and equip it with solar panels so it doesn't stop until the end of time. Just watching some of these videos brings me to despair...first off of ever getting someone to agree to the efficacy of stabbing and second of getting some of these people to agree to soap off the patchouli and get a nice coverup over their tattoo of the Green Man.

Every time I think one of these type of orgs might be fun to participate in, based on the written parameters of the activity, and I try it, the actual fucking dorks involved send me running the other way.

JohnnyCache on
    edited October 2008
    The reason why I say its not Larp?

Because it may start like with some, they show up in full armor, announce themselves yada yada...then the novelty wears off in about 45 minutes espically durring the summer stuff and we just have fun, enjoys lots of games, and usually theres a cookout involved.

Some people get really far into the roleplaying aspect, and thats fine, thats how they have fun, but you don't have to, its not a rule, its not enforced, no one cares, its just fun.

Oh and trust me, there is a lot of shield bashing.

Bucketman on
    edited October 2008

It's live action

so

see

that's

"Larping"

Well, you have to admit, dude, there is some painfully dorky shit going on at some of these events. The sort of shit that makes a person want to make a robot that gives wedgies and equip it with solar panels so it doesn't stop until the end of time. Just watching some of these videos brings me to despair...first off of ever getting someone to agree to the efficacy of stabbing and second of getting some of these people to agree to soap off the patchouli and get a nice coverup over their tattoo of the Green Man.

Every time I think one of these type of orgs might be fun to participate in, based on the written parameters of the activity, and I try it, the actual fucking dorks involved send me running the other way.

Oh yeah, I know. But you know how I deal with those people? I bash them with my shield and whack them with my sword.

Luckily my local group is some pretty cool guys.

Bucketman on
    edited October 2008
    yeah but you don't hit them in the head.

Because that's not allowed.

which actually makes it lamer then SCA, I stand corrected.

JohnnyCache on
  • IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    So what you're saying is that it starts as LARPing but the participants have short attention spans.

This is like "It's not gay if I only suck a guy off it's not like I'm putting it in my butt."

Just man up. It's high-contact LARPing, no biggee.

Incenjucar on
    edited October 2008
    Sometimes my peers and I just hit each other with sticks on slow days

so I can't really cast any stones here.

Hell, it's probably lamer if you do it with no RP element.

JohnnyCache on
    edited October 2008
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    So what you're saying is that it starts as LARPing but the participants have short attention spans.

This is like "It's not gay if I only suck a guy off it's not like I'm putting it in my butt."

Just man up. It's high-contact LARPing, no biggee.

Ok well I don't larp.

I just like the sport aspect of it....

....I'm a viking....

Bucketman on
    edited October 2008
    See

you aren't a viking. What have you raped/killed/pillaged today?

You're playing a viking like role.

JohnnyCache on
  • RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I want to make an angry marine terminator outfit and go to one of these.

"Uhh, are my lightning claws blue or green?"

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118