Options

Games ported to strange devices and other parts of your childhood raped.

2»

• Options
    ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Einhander wrote: »
    Yeah, the "I'm gonna eat through six AA batteries in about two and a half to three hours" thing does really blow, especially since the rechargable battery pack was so expensive, but you can use a a Sega Genesis AC adaptor to plug it in while you're in one spot.

Just make sure to find a model number MK-2103 AC adaptor, Goodwill usually has a few for $0.50 or whatever.

It was the damn screen (color and backlit, the hardware's strongest features) and the fact that power wise it was pretty much just a mobile Master System that utterly slaughtered the battery life.

When I was a kid the GG was my only gaming thing for a time (the Amiga was broken. The Amiga was often broken). Now I couldn't afford expensive batteries or an adaptor, so it didn't get much use. Ever. But one week I had scraped together enough 20ps to buy some batteries, so off I go to the shops, and I come back with 6 shiny AAs, ready to play some Sonic. So excited I was, brimming with anticipation at what the levels might look like after Jungle Zone.

Now let's just step aside for one minute. They weren't expensive batteries, I'll admit. Indeed, they were the cheapest batteries little Ben could find. But to a kid who barely earns enough money to afford Sonic the Comic, they were good enough. To a kid whose parent couldn't afford a Mega Drive like the other kids, but did have a Game Gear, they were good enough. To a kid who bought Sonic the Comic every week, who had his entire room plastered with Sonic posters, who had the Sonic duvet set, who spent every minute not playing Sonic on a friends Mega Drive drawing new Sonic levels and posting them to "Sonic Team, SEGA, Japan" every single week, these batteries were bloody well good enough. Little Ben wasn't asking for much. He was just using the tools he had been given as best he could to play his favourite game. He wasn't expecting a miracle.

But it have been nice to have them last a bit more than halfway through Green Hill Zone.

ben0207 on
  • Options
    RocketlexRocketlex Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I've heard of bootleg game makers porting PS1 games to the NES. I think that would be absolutely horrifying/amazing to see in action.

Rocketlex on
    While you were asleep, your windows told me all your secrets.
  • Options
    Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    LCD014.jpg

LCD012.jpg

I had one of these. It was so horrible.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    ben0207 wrote: »
    Einhander wrote: »
    Yeah, the "I'm gonna eat through six AA batteries in about two and a half to three hours" thing does really blow, especially since the rechargable battery pack was so expensive, but you can use a a Sega Genesis AC adaptor to plug it in while you're in one spot.

Just make sure to find a model number MK-2103 AC adaptor, Goodwill usually has a few for $0.50 or whatever.

It was the damn screen (color and backlit, the hardware's strongest features) and the fact that power wise it was pretty much just a mobile Master System that utterly slaughtered the battery life.

When I was a kid the GG was my only gaming thing for a time (the Amiga was broken. The Amiga was often broken). Now I couldn't afford expensive batteries or an adaptor, so it didn't get much use. Ever. But one week I had scraped together enough 20ps to buy some batteries, so off I go to the shops, and I come back with 6 shiny AAs, ready to play some Sonic. So excited I was, brimming with anticipation at what the levels might look like after Jungle Zone.

Now let's just step aside for one minute. They weren't expensive batteries, I'll admit. Indeed, they were the cheapest batteries little Ben could find. But to a kid who barely earns enough money to afford Sonic the Comic, they were good enough. To a kid whose parent couldn't afford a Mega Drive like the other kids, but did have a Game Gear, they were good enough. To a kid who bought Sonic the Comic every week, who had his entire room plastered with Sonic posters, who had the Sonic duvet set, who spent every minute not playing Sonic on a friends Mega Drive drawing new Sonic levels and posting them to "Sonic Team, SEGA, Japan" every single week, these batteries were bloody well good enough. Little Ben wasn't asking for much. He was just using the tools he had been given as best he could to play his favourite game. He wasn't expecting a miracle.

But it have been nice to have them last a bit more than halfway through Green Hill Zone.

Replace Game Gear for Master System (and so no story about batteries) and that was my childhood. I knew the guy with the Game Gear, he was everybody's friend.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    RocketlexRocketlex Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Oh yeah, now I remember. I used to have one of these.

41YWQQN6CJL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

That's a Starfox Watch, as in, a watch which plays...not Starfox so much as a Starfox-themed game. There's no actual animation, here. It's like those old Game & Watch deals. The game basically lets you fly either right, left or center, and you have two altitudes at each. Enemies blip around the screen and you're supposed to shoot them at the right time. At the lower altitude it's impossible to hit anything and at the higher altitude it's impossible not to get hit by everything in sight, at least that's how it seemed to me as a six-year-old playing with my Starfox watch on the bus.

I can't be the only one who had one of these. It was frustrating as hell but a good way to kill a bus ride when I was a kid.

Rocketlex on
    While you were asleep, your windows told me all your secrets.
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    The only Zelda I ever played was a Zelda gamewatch where you walked int a room, hit a monster (maybe bombed or boomeranged it too), and then walked into the next room.

It was pretty crap.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I had two Tiger LCD game watches.

Ninja Gaiden was one, and Double Dragon was the other.

slash000 on
  • Options
    NitsuaNitsua Gloucester, VARegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I had Castlevania II: Simon's Quest on a Tiger LCD system I believe... was actually fairly fun. Nothing like the NES game though, but they actually had a few different enemies plus bosses at the end of each stage.

Nitsua on
  • Options
    ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I still dont understand the point of guitar hero being on mobile phones.

Anyway Sonic on the ipod was pretty amazing port.

Ziggymon on
  • Options
    donhonkdonhonk Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    darleysam wrote: »
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    slash000 wrote: »
    That guy doesn't gesture with his hands enough when explaining things.

Also, Didj is a terrible name.

Lastly.. The most bizarre thing I ever read about porting was when Doom was ported to a digital camera. Yeah.

Also, Duke Nukem 3D on the Game.com.

Know what's even more bizarre? How some people got the firmware off some Canon cameras.

by making it's busy light blink out the firmware in binary, picking it up with a light sensor that generates a sound file on a computer running Audacity, and then converting the sound file to the firmware

That's... awesome. I will never doubt another thing I see in CSI, House or X-Files.

Finally found the page detailing it again.

http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/Porting_the_CHDK#Hardware-software_solution

WHAT THE FLYING FUCK, THAT JUST BROKE MY PERCEPTION OF THE WORLD!!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

donhonk on
  • Options
    xWonderboyxxWonderboyx Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Oh hi, I'm here to remind you about this amazingly shitty piece of shit.

19fec04bab7a882f26f66e7d4de46d35.jpeg

Ugh. I had one. I think I had two games, both Saturn ports. Virtua Fighter and Panzer Dragoon. I figured, if I can't afford a Saturn, then this will be an alright way to play these games, right? I was so wrong.

I got this for christmas one year. After asking for it D:

xWonderboyx on
    shark2.jpg
    XBL - Follow Freeman
  • Options
    Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I had the Double Dragon Tiger game. It was so awesome :D

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Ziggymon wrote: »

Anyway Sonic on the ipod was pretty amazing port.
    Or the little stand-alone LCD game that they sell at Wal-Mart.

SirUltimos on
  • Options
    EinhanderEinhander __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2008
    SirUltimos wrote: »
    Ziggymon wrote: »
    Or the little stand-alone LCD game that they sell at Wal-Mart.

$

Einhander on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    So that's how Friend Computer's brainscrubbing techniques work...

Look at the guy's face.

I may make that my avatar.

Hahahaha, that's me!

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    So that's how Friend Computer's brainscrubbing techniques work...

Look at the guy's face.

I may make that my avatar.

Hahahaha, that's me!

You poor bastard.

yalborap on
  • Options
    DHS OdiumDHS Odium Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I still own my game.com...

Anyone looking to buy one? Got Duke Nukem, Jurassic Park, Lights Out, and Virtua Fighter.

*sigh*, I was just a kid when I got that thing, to be fair it did provide enjoyment. I definitely played alot of Duke Nukem on that thing. I was also attracted to whole "use it as an internet browser thing", which was a goddamn lie. It required a separate dongle, which apparently wasn't sold anywhere.

DHS Odium on
    Wii U: DHS-Odium // Live: DHS Odium // PSN: DHSOdium // Steam: dhsykes // 3DS: 0318-6615-5294
  • Options
    Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I remember getting Pac Man for my Atari 2600, and then feeling like I wanted to throw it out the window. The "Arcade" quality was not there and went back to the arcade to play.

Waka Laka on
  • Options
    Red LegRed Leg Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Just wanted to share this wonderful piece of hardware:

Tiger-Afterburner.jpg

Sucked up so much of my time. The lever on the left was functional and sped you up or slowed you down. The top right "Display" showed where you were hit by missiles. It lit up when you died. The sound effects were so god awful that they haunt me today. It was a "Dodge the Thing Coming at You" game, but the controls were awesome as a kid.

Red Leg on
  • Options
    Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    There was an Outrun game just like that Afterburner one.

Sucked ass through straws.

Waka Laka on
  • Options
    xWonderboyxxWonderboyx Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Red Leg wrote: »

Tiger-Afterburner.jpg

Sucked up so much of my time. The lever on the left was functional and sped you up or slowed you down. The top right "Display" showed where you were hit by missiles. It lit up when you died. The sound effects were so god awful that they haunt me today. It was a "Dodge the Thing Coming at You" game, but the controls were awesome as a kid.

I had a twisted metal one like this, except it was shaped like a...fuck I forget. There was a whole series of them that were shaped like things. Man, I used to get these things for christmas all the time because I wanted them SO BAD and then I forced myself to pretend I liked them because, shit I got this for christmas and not something awesome like bubsy :lol:

I had poor taste. Off topic, but I asked my parents to NOT get me Goldeneye, which they made their intentions about clear, instead get Extreme G for me.

Yeah.

xWonderboyx on
    shark2.jpg
    XBL - Follow Freeman
  • Options
    SamuelSamuel Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

Tiger-Afterburner.jpg

HOLY SHIT I HAD THAT

What a piece of shit! I loved it so much.

The lever thing and joystick eventually got so broken that I might as well have been trying to dogfight with a rowing boat. Brilliant.

Samuel on
  • Options
    SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

Tiger-Afterburner.jpg

I had a twisted metal one like this, except it was shaped like a...fuck I forget. There was a whole series of them that were shaped like things. Man, I used to get these things for christmas all the time because I wanted them SO BAD and then I forced myself to pretend I liked them because, shit I got this for christmas and not something awesome like bubsy :lol:

I had poor taste. Off topic, but I asked my parents to NOT get me Goldeneye, which they made their intentions about clear, instead get Extreme G for me.

Yeah.

Man, you sure did suck as a kid.

SirUltimos on
  • Options
    donhonkdonhonk Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    SirUltimos wrote: »

Yeah.

Man, you sure did suck as a kid.

Yeah seriously, what the hell. :lol:

donhonk on
  • Options
    SnorkSnork word Jamaica Plain, MARegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Anyone ever play Wolfenstein 3-D on the Ti-83 graphic calculator? That shit was intense. And fucking impossible.

Snork on
  • Options
    TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    sonic1amigahk4.th.jpgthpix.gif

Sonic the Hedgehog ported to the Amiga by U.S. Gold in 1991.

Yes, this is an official port.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    SnorkSnork word Jamaica Plain, MARegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    sonic1amigahk4.th.jpgthpix.gif

Sonic the Hedgehog ported to the Amiga by U.S. Gold in 1991.

Yes, this is an official port.
    As soon as I saw you had posted in the thread I knew we'd be getting something fun.

Snork on
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Street Fighter 2 on the TI-83 calculator:

38321.gif

slash000 on
  • Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

Tiger-Afterburner.jpg

Yeah.

Extreme G was relatively fun.

yalborap on
  • Options
    BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Waka Laka wrote: »
    There was an Outrun game just like that Afterburner one.

Sucked ass through straws.
    http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=V6r8N2YHAs4

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz