As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

G&T Secret Santa 2006: IT HAS BEGUN

• Options
    RohanRohan Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Finally! AnimeNation, at long, long last, has delivered to me my Santee's main gift, which I ordered back in mid-November, dammit. This Friday when I return home (I stay twenty miles away during the week because of college) I'll send off the Box Of Cool Stuffs (c). Longest Secret Santa waiting period ever? :(

Rohan on
    ...and I thought of how all those people died, and what a good death that is. That nobody can blame you for it, because everyone else died along with you, and it is the fault of none, save those who did the killing.

Nothing's forgotten, nothing is ever forgotten
  • Options
    LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2007
    zero_bit wrote:
    DarkPrimus wrote:
    zero_bit wrote:
    I love my gift from Tycho, I really do, but I wish he would have written something in the greeting card. A blank greeting card with just his signature seems kind of weird.

To be honest, what would he put in there? It's not like they read the forums, so unless they got a mod or admin, where they could write "Keep up the good work" or something, what are they going to put there? "Read the comic"?

I dunno Khoo and Gabe both wrote something for their Santee, and Tycho is a writer.

Sorry, now I'm sounding ungrateful, and I'm really not.

That's what I got from Tycho too. :(

Oh well...

Legacy on
    Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    DarkPrimus wrote:
    Threatening to have my older brother at MIT make your driver's license no longer work.
    :P
    I lol'd

LewieP on
  • Options
    PolagoPolago Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    LewieP wrote:
    DarkPrimus wrote:
    Threatening to have my older brother at MIT make your driver's license no longer work.
    :P
    I lol'd

Very much so. :D

Polago on
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I got Gabe and Tycho their gifts.

I sent them each a Ferrari.

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    My present came!

Pics to follow once I find my damn camera.

skippydumptruck on
  • Options
    Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    So, this Sunday, anybody whose Santee is completely in the dark about their gift (no gift, no communication, nothing) is getting banned. :(

I hate that it's coming to this for some perfectly decent forumers (and the list of people under thread of bannination is quite small) but I always planned to back up my promise.

If you're not sure whether you're in danger of getting the boot, you'd better make sure, with both me and your Santee.

Captain K on
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    To my Santa:

I've been checking every chance I get to see if anything arrived for me at home. If your records show you shipped out something for me, then great.. if it was USPS, it might have been caught up in my address change, but I doubt that.

I don't want to see anyone get in trouble. =( But I just wanted to get it out there that I've not heard anything on the matter in a month, and my family's getting annoyed at my constantly checking.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    DekuStickDekuStick Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    My present came!

Pics to follow once I find my damn camera.

Cool. Sorry for the long wait. Hope you enjoy it all.

Merry Christmas.

DekuStick on
  • Options
    SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    It's been over a month now, hm? :(

Still nothing. Going to check at the post office tomorrow just in case.

SilverWind on
    signature.png
    Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
    My ACNH Wishlists | My ACNH Catalog
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    My gift is finally winging it's way to America as I type. I expect my Santee to be posting about it sometime next week \o/

Rohan on
    ...and I thought of how all those people died, and what a good death that is. That nobody can blame you for it, because everyone else died along with you, and it is the fault of none, save those who did the killing.

• Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I can't find my digital camera, so I'll list what I got from my Santa. Sorry I could not present it in visual glory!

An empty bag of werthers chocolates*

A lovable Tonka mini dumptruck, for moving small amounts of dirt on tiny job sites.

The Back to the Future trilogy.

I am amazed that you were able to find a DVD that a) I want but b) I have not yet purchased for myself. It is a Christmas miracle!

Thanks Deku! :D

*this is my fault.

skippydumptruck on
  • Options
    EinhanderEinhander __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2007
    SilverWind wrote:

I'm mildly confident that customs ate them. :?

Let me know what happens tomorrow.

Einhander on
  • Options
    PepperSinclairePepperSinclaire Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    If my Santa is out there, hello! Even though I don't know who you are, I'd really rather you didn't get banned. Please give me an update or get in touch with Captain K.

PepperSinclaire on
    Signature pending.
  • Options
    EinhanderEinhander __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2007
    Yeah, who the fuck was my Santa anyway? I haven't seen anyone come forward yet, which is weird because they sent me some really cool shit and I'd like to know who to thank.

Thank you Santa, whomever you are.

Einhander on
  • Options
    Whiniest Man On EarthWhiniest Man On Earth Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I still haven't gotten my "real" present from my Santa, but I'm dying to know who it was, too!

Whiniest Man On Earth on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    I've been asked to unsticky this thread (and I'm ready for it myself; it's almost February, after all) so it will be floating around the index.

As far as any bannination, I'll be getting to that tonight. My stupid mouse stopped working yesterday so I'm going to replace that before I do anything. I think there's only a couple of people who are going to feel the wrath of the banstick for being crummy Santas--several of the giftless Santees (of which there are quite few) have specifically asked me to pardon their Santas, and I'm fine with that.

This whole situation is a far cry from the gift swap in another forum which shall remain nameless, in which people without gifts are screaming for retribution and posting anxiously every day with desire to see people get comeuppance. I guess what I'm saying is that you guys are pretty cool.

Captain K on
  • Options
    LewishamLewisham Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Captain K wrote:

This whole situation is a far cry from the gift swap in another forum which shall remain nameless, in which people without gifts are screaming for retribution and posting anxiously every day with desire to see people get comeuppance. I guess what I'm saying is that you guys are pretty cool.

I'm uncool. I want comeuppance FOR ALL WHO CROSSED A GOOD SANTA.

Lewisham on
  • Options
    Filler Inc.Filler Inc. Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Captain K wrote:
    I've been asked to unsticky this thread (and I'm ready for it myself; it's almost February, after all) so it will be floating around the index.

As far as any bannination, I'll be getting to that tonight. My stupid mouse stopped working yesterday so I'm going to replace that before I do anything. I think there's only a couple of people who are going to feel the wrath of the banstick for being crummy Santas--several of the giftless Santees (of which there are quite few) have specifically asked me to pardon their Santas, and I'm fine with that.

:x

Filler Inc. on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Einhander wrote:
    SilverWind wrote:

I'm mildly confident that customs ate them. :?

Let me know what happens tomorrow.

Alright, I checked today, and there's nothing. The post office has no clue. :(

SilverWind on
    signature.png
  • Options
    FireWeaselFireWeasel Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    After a great deal of fist-shaking in the general direction of Canada Customs, I finally received my glorious Santa gift...

...which, for a lack of a decent image host, will have to be relegated to text, but I'm sure everyone is fine with that.

ONE box containing a STIKFAS Green Alpha Male dude in a Motorized Thingie, and

TWO Cube dudes from Thinkgeek.com (you know the ones where, if you put them together, the stick guys inside interact and travel to each other's cubes and such).

What can I say? They're pretty damn awesome. The STIKFAS reminds me of a gigantic Kinder Egg Toy in that it's rather large and consists entirely of small plastic parts that must be self-assembled, resulting in heavily bruised fingers and thumbs lasting for days, but somehow is extremely satisfying anyway. He's now brandishing a small plastic vacuum cleaner on top of my television.

And the Cube dudes are hilarious. One's a Fire Chief, the other's a Police Chief, and when they get together, MAGIC happens. Seriously, they worm into each other's cubes, and they mostly fight. If the Fire Chief's placed on top, he'll lower a fireman's pole into the Police Chief's cube, and ride it down to harass him.

Again, fantastic stuff, and many thanks to TheMarshall.

FireWeasel on
    AC:CL Wii -- 3824-2125-9336 City: Felinito Me: Nick
  • Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I got a letter today, from... My Santa!

While I stopped playing Magic almost a decade ago (that long ago? Jesus!), it was interesting to open that pack up and see what they've done to the game. I think there's a card in there that violates one of the very premises of the game, admits it, then does it anyway.

Thanks, Cymoro! For some reason I thought you were in Australia. It's probably the WOOOH FUCK UPSIDE DOWN. :wink:

Bursar on
    GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    Spoilered until images are unborked. egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    CymoroCymoro Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Bursar wrote:
    I got a letter today, from... My Santa!

While I stopped playing Magic almost a decade ago (that long ago? Jesus!), it was interesting to open that pack up and see what they've done to the game. I think there's a card in there that violates one of the very premises of the game, admits it, then does it anyway.

Thanks, Cymoro! For some reason I thought you were in Australia. It's probably the WOOOH FUCK UPSIDE DOWN. :wink:

Hahaha, awesome. Yeah, the point of this block is to mess with the core basics. Time Spiral messes up the stack, and the next one messes up the color wheel (Planar Chaos).

So what'd you get? I've been wondering the entire time!

Cymoro on
    i am perpetual, i make the country clean
  • Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I've given up trying to wrap my head around this "timeshifted card" business, so I'll just say that the rare I got was a Sengir Nosferatu.

So, I take this card and remove it from the game, and replace it with a token with the ability to bring the card that has been removed from the game back into the game... But if it's been removed from the game, then I can't bring it back, because it's been removed from the game. While I understand the intent is to keep the player from having both the token and the card out at the same time, something about the wording just strikes me as incredibly off-kilter.

Bursar on
    GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    Spoilered until images are unborked. egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    The DeliveratorThe Deliverator Slingin Pies The California BurbclavesRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    FireWeasel wrote:
    After a great deal of fist-shaking in the general direction of Canada Customs, I finally received my glorious Santa gift...

...which, for a lack of a decent image host, will have to be relegated to text, but I'm sure everyone is fine with that.

ONE box containing a STIKFAS Green Alpha Male dude in a Motorized Thingie, and

TWO Cube dudes from Thinkgeek.com (you know the ones where, if you put them together, the stick guys inside interact and travel to each other's cubes and such).

What can I say? They're pretty damn awesome. The STIKFAS reminds me of a gigantic Kinder Egg Toy in that it's rather large and consists entirely of small plastic parts that must be self-assembled, resulting in heavily bruised fingers and thumbs lasting for days, but somehow is extremely satisfying anyway. He's now brandishing a small plastic vacuum cleaner on top of my television.

And the Cube dudes are hilarious. One's a Fire Chief, the other's a Police Chief, and when they get together, MAGIC happens. Seriously, they worm into each other's cubes, and they mostly fight. If the Fire Chief's placed on top, he'll lower a fireman's pole into the Police Chief's cube, and ride it down to harass him.

Again, fantastic stuff, and many thanks to TheMarshall.

I'm thrilled you like the stuff! :D
    I figured the Stikfas was a good bet. Everyone loves Stikfas!

The Deliverator on
  • Options
    CymoroCymoro Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Bursar wrote:
    I've given up trying to wrap my head around this "timeshifted card" business, so I'll just say that the rare I got was a Sengir Nosferatu.

So, I take this card and remove it from the game, and replace it with a token with the ability to bring the card that has been removed from the game back into the game... But if it's been removed from the game, then I can't bring it back, because it's been removed from the game. While I understand the intent is to keep the player from having both the token and the card out at the same time, something about the wording just strikes me as incredibly off-kilter.

Removing from the game just means to set aside. It's like phasing, it foes into another plane of existance. A good use for that would be to remove it if it was given a bad enchantment (Pacifism). When it's removed from play, the enchantment fizzles and is discarded. When you bring it back, it does not have the enchantment anymore.

Ther was a creature type that did this in the Torment set a while back called Nightmare that could let you remove up to entire hands from play. I made a sweet deck around them, but it was hella' slow.

edit: Hypnox and Faceless Butcher. Both pretty sweet.

Cymoro on
    i am perpetual, i make the country clean
  • Options
    TheOtherHorsemanTheOtherHorseman Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    (Post safe for 56k because I lack camera access)

A package had arrived for me by the time I visited home. I had not ordered anything, so I salivated at the thought of what it might be. Would it be belated holiday tidings and Christmas goodies from Santa Krunch XP, or did Canadian Customs exerise their professional discretion to shit in a bucket and mail it to me in lieu of gifts sent?

Eagerly, I tore open the package to discover presents.

Materialized before my eyes was Bruce Campbell's If Chins Could Kill: Confessions of a B-Movie Actor in addition to Maddox's Alphabet of Manliness. Based on the wisdom of our forum forebears, it is inarguable that books are totally gay, but given that I am totally gay for books, that works out beautifully. My girlfriend is a huge Bruce Campbell fan and this will help to forge an additional, chin-based bond between us.

The gifts stopped there.

O WAIT NO THEY DIDN'T

I was also presented with a stack of little packs labelled "Nintendo Gamepack". Within were a series of cards adorned with what I can only describe as late 80's Nintendo art, forged by a Topps executive in the heart of Mount Doom while taken with the idea that scratch-off cards would make for an awesome single player game consisting of the following steps:
    1. Scratch Card
    2. Look at revealed symbols
    3. Celebrate if you win, try again if you lose

Regardless of the questionable idea behind the product, it certainly is a damn fine gift. The art is just so... videgame.

Thx a lot Krunch.

<3

TheOtherHorseman on
  • Options
    SquashuaSquashua __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2007
    Captain K wrote:

As far as any bannination, I'll be getting to that tonight.

You are legally required to list their usernames here so we can all point and laugh.

Squashua on
  • Options
    PepperSinclairePepperSinclaire Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Squashua wrote:
    Captain K wrote:

As far as any bannination, I'll be getting to that tonight.

You are legally required to list their usernames here so we can all point and laugh.

Plus it would be good to see who got who, especially for those who didn't get anything.

PepperSinclaire on
    Signature pending.
  • Options
    PbPb Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Captain K wrote:

Fuck off.

Pb on
  • Options
    JPS3JPS3 regular
    edited February 2007
    Just wanted to pop in and let everyone know that my gifts arrived today from my Secret Santa. It came at the end of a really crappy week and was definitely a bright spot.

I got a Stewie action figure, one of the best pillows evar, seriously its a Super mushroom on one side and a 1-up mushroom on the other side... and the piece de la resistance. The Okami soundtrack, but not just any Okami soundtrack. NO, this thing was forged out of awesome and win. It is five discs full of a magical sound odyssey. I really loved Okami, and absolutely loved the soundtrack. This was an awesome gift. Thank you Rohan!!!

Here are the pics so everyone can see the glory of the gifts I received:
    DSC01120.jpg
    DSC01122.jpg

JPS3 on
    On the subject of the Zero Punctuation Bioshock Review:
    Gyral wrote: »
    Renzo wrote: »
    reVerse wrote: »
    I didn't much care for the Bioshock review. It didn't deliver on the funnies like the previous reviews, but it wasn't bad.

The ending was very weak, though. Usually his videos have good endings.

Did you just review a review?

I found reVerse's review to be too short and a little light on content and quality. Still, his punctuation and sentence structure was better than most.
    Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    Whiniest Man On EarthWhiniest Man On Earth Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I'm going to murder someone if I don't find out who my Santa was, since I don't think anything else is coming.

Whiniest Man On Earth on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    JPS3 wrote:
    Just wanted to pop in and let everyone know that my gifts arrived today from my Secret Santa. It came at the end of a really crappy week and was definitely a bright spot.

I got a Stewie action figure, one of the best pillows evar, seriously its a Super mushroom on one side and a 1-up mushroom on the other side... and the piece de la resistance. The Okami soundtrack, but not just any Okami soundtrack. NO, this thing was forged out of awesome and win. It is five discs full of a magical sound odyssey. I really loved Okami, and absolutely loved the soundtrack. This was an awesome gift. Thank you Rohan!!!

Here are the pics so everyone can see the glory of the gifts I received:
    DSC01120.jpg
    DSC01122.jpg

You'll never know what frustration I was feeling to have ordered the OST back in mid-November, forcing me to delay your present until after Christmas, making me one of the bad/evil/jerk Santa's... but I'm glad you liked it all!

Rohan on

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Alright. I think enough time has passed to officially say I didn't receive anything. It's been 2 weeks since this thread has been updated.. and I haven't heard hide nor hair from anyone in over 2 months.

Ah well. Someone's always got to get the short end of the stick, eh? I am sorry to my santa, if there was a miscommunication on my part or something. K never said anything to that effect.. so I don't know what to say.

Gratz to everyone who got stuff. It's been awesome following this. =)

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    As a follow up, did you get a chance to watch what I sent you, Rohan? I'd like to know what you thought of those films. And if you were expecting anything more extravagant than some movies, I'm sorry. I was going to send you some great things, but none of those sites liked your address, so I just had to get some things locally and there's not a lot around here.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Hmm, we're into the middle of March now, so I'm going to bump this topic up again.

Is there anyone other than Athenor and I who didn't get presents/got presents lost into the void? It'd be nice if we had a concrete list. <3

I'm no good at organization, but there was a fund last year for people who got stood up (or boned by the postal service). I'd be willing to contribute, especially if it's made into a yearly backup support for this tradition.

SilverWind on
    signature.png
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Everybody who PMed me to say they didn't receive a gift also asked me to not ban their Santa, so nobody got banned.

But if we want to get some stuff for those who got shafted, that sounds good to me. If somebody wants to organize that, I'd be all for donating to a fund.

Captain K on
  • Options
    DeVryGuyDeVryGuy Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I'm curious if ZeroZero got his gifts.

DeVryGuy on
    Pokemon Diamond: 5369 6910 9799
    FFTSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Captain K wrote: »
    Everybody who PMed me to say they didn't receive a gift also asked me to not ban their Santa, so nobody got banned.

But if we want to get some stuff for those who got shafted, that sounds good to me. If somebody wants to organize that, I'd be all for donating to a fund.

I'd be willing to organize this (and in the future if need be), if you find me trustworthy enough and if we can agree on the basic details of it. :)

Paypal account? See how many donations we can accumulate, and then divide that amount per year?
    And we'd need the list of people who didn't get gifts, or at least a number right now.

SilverWind on
    signature.png
  • Options
    Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I wouldn't be averse to sending a couple people some more gay used books in my possession. Can't really afford to buy anything, though. The checking account, she is listing.

Target Practice on
    sig.gif