Options

New DS w/camera & DL games, Wii storage fix, Sin & Punishment 2, more! Check OP

• Options
    OmegasquashOmegasquash Boston, MARegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2008
    I'm excited about this simply because it means the original model DS would possibly drop to $99.

The brick? I haven't seen those in stores for a long time, come to think of it....

By original I meant the "Lite that doesn't have a camera/mp3 functionality"

I had forgotten completely about the big'un until you told me something.

I love my brick. I still keep it upstairs for after the wife has gone to sleep. It's the only way I'll get quality RPG time in these days...minus spending an hour and a half in the crapper.

Growing up sucks!

Omegasquash on
  • Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Feral wrote: »
    Dixon wrote: »
    Fuck MP3s.

Fuck the camera.

GIVE ME WPA ENCRYPTION, ASSHOLES.

Serisously why would they do this to themselves. I don't see why the didn't include it, I mean WPA has been out for quite a while...More people use it to.

They didn't include it because WPA uses more advanced encryption algorithms and is therefore more CPU-intensive, and by definition more power hungry. Including it would have reduced performance and battery life.
    Yes, but that was then, and this is now, where we have chips that do WPA2-AES in realtime with very little power draw.
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    Guys my post was a Brodeo joke not a serious question.

It's OK Brotato, you just gotta remember that everything is seriously Brosness on the internet.

In this instance Brodeo has capitalization for a reason
    Don't interrupt me while I'm making Bro-isms. I am Broseidon, Lord of the Brocean.

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Dixon wrote: »
    Fuck MP3s.

Fuck the camera.

GIVE ME WPA ENCRYPTION, ASSHOLES.

Serisously why would they do this to themselves. I don't see why the didn't include it, I mean WPA has been out for quite a while...More people use it to.

They didn't include it because WPA uses more advanced encryption algorithms and is therefore more CPU-intensive, and by definition more power hungry. Including it would have reduced performance and battery life.
    Yes, but that was then, and this is now, where we have chips that do WPA2-AES in realtime with very little power draw.

Oh, I totally agree with you. I was disappointed when the Lite didn't support it. they have the capability now; just put it on a different chip.

I'm just explaining to Dixon why it wasn't in the original generation of DS.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Chips that aren't going to be in the new DS remodel, so suck it up and drop the connection down to WEP whenever you're using the DS online.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

I already own a DS. Unless this new one drastically and meaningfully has any benefit I wont be buying one. I already own a superior Mp3 player.

Which GFW was that? My attention was diverted throughout the final episode.

The Merchants of Cool one.

26/06/08

Would you like to hear more about our Big Tech Engine?

Man I gotta see the movie Moses.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Chips that aren't going to be in the new DS remodel, so suck it up and drop the connection down to WEP whenever you're using the DS online.

But that's why I don't connect. I don't feel like pinging my router every time I want to play something online. Unless there's an easier way, of course.

Omegasquash on
  • Options
    edited September 2008

I already own a DS. Unless this new one drastically and meaningfully has any benefit I wont be buying one. I already own a superior Mp3 player.

Which GFW was that? My attention was diverted throughout the final episode.

The Merchants of Cool one.

26/06/08

Would you like to hear more about our Big Tech Engine?

Man I gotta see the movie Moses.

No shit, that was a good episode but I guess I missed it. Tender Rondo, and all that.

Omegasquash on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Oh, I totally agree with you. I was disappointed when the Lite didn't support it. they have the capability now; just put it on a different chip.
    I'm just explaining to Dixon why it wasn't in the original generation of DS.
    Ah, gotcha. Yeah, that'd be nice if they spent the buck or two needed to buy them.
    Hey, if they put WPA2-AES in the Wii, I want to see it in the DS. WEP is lolsecurity, not real security.

PeregrineFalcon on
  • Options
    edited September 2008

But that's why I don't connect. I don't feel like pinging my router every time I want to play something online. Unless there's an easier way, of course.

1. Second router on an isolated network with WEP/MAC filtering/limited DHCP scope, attached to a power strip that only gets turned on when you want to play DS games online
    2. Nintendo Wi-Fi dongle

PeregrineFalcon on
  • Options
    edited September 2008

1. Second router on an isolated network with WEP/MAC filtering/limited DHCP scope, attached to a power strip that only gets turned on when you want to play DS games online
    2. Nintendo Wi-Fi dongle

Both of which would mean that I would have to buy something else to play my DS online without hassle. Easy options, and perhaps something to think about when I need to get a bigger router in a few months, but 'til then, it's all solo and local connection when peeps be comin' over to play Mario Kart.

Omegasquash on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008

Yeah, I keep meaning to do this, it's just way down on my priority list.

Edit: I also want to get one of those discontinued Linksys power boosters, run it through that, hook up this 6-foot 2.4 ghz antenna I have lying around (yeah, I have random wi-fi equipment lying around, just not a router for some weird reason), put it in front of a homemade reflector, and blast wi-fi over to my friend's apartment across the parking lot. So it'll be my DS + long-distance-gaming-LAN router that is only turned on when I'm using it.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    edited September 2008

Edit: I also want to get one of those discontinued Linksys power boosters, run it through that, hook up this 6-foot 2.4 ghz antenna I have lying around (yeah, I have random wi-fi equipment lying around, just not a router for some weird reason), put it in front of a homemade reflector, and blast wi-fi over to my friend's apartment across the parking lot. So it'll be my DS + long-distance-gaming-LAN router that is only turned on when I'm using it.

Fuck that shit, Cantenna it up. Build it right, lower the transmit rate, and you can get some pretty solid distance out of them.

moving.png

PeregrineFalcon on
  • Options
    AmpixAmpix Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

Fuck that shit, Cantenna it up. Build it right, lower the transmit rate, and you can get some pretty solid distance out of them.

[pic]

That looks like what I have to do to get internet nowadays :(

Ampix on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Well, I already have the antenna and the materials for the reflector.

We can cantenna the other end if we need to.

Feral on

• Options
    jeddy leejeddy lee Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Is it bad that I read "New DS rivision adds MP3s" as "New DS revision adds Metroid Prime 3: "S"" ?

The S could mean anything. Like Suspense.

jeddy lee on
    Backlog Challenge: 0%
    0/8

PS2
    FF X replay

PS3
    God of War 1&2 HD
    Rachet and Clank Future
    MGS 4
    Prince of Persia

Bayonetta
    Fable 3

DS
    FF: 4 heroes of light
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    jack eddy wrote: »
    Is it bad that I read "New DS rivision adds MP3s" as "New DS revision adds Metroid Prime 3: "S"" ?

The S could mean anything. Like Suspense.

Considering that Metroid Prime 3 already is out, with the subtitle Corruption, that is a bit bad.

Peewi on
  • Options
    The Reverend Dr GalactusThe Reverend Dr Galactus Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Metroid Prime 3: Sequel

The Reverend Dr Galactus on
    valar-moreshellus.png
    PSN:RevDrGalactus/NN:RevDrGalactus/Steam
  • Options
    paco_pepepaco_pepe Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I hope this is true, since my DSLite died recently( fortunately i got to finish Professor Layton :) ), so i don't mind a new DS with expanded functionality.

Maybe sell the DS Elite for $150 and drop the DSlite to $119?

paco_pepe on
    Paco+Pepper.png
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    A new DS? I JUST BOUGHT ONE GOD DAMNIT. Seriously. Like yesterday.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    NorfairNorfair Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    A new DS? I JUST BOUGHT ONE GOD DAMNIT. Seriously. Like yesterday.

I feel your pain. I just went through a bunch of bullshit selling off old crap to get a new DS Lite to replace my busted Phat less than a month ago.

It never fails. I managed to buy one of the original GBAs less than two weeks before the GBA SP announcement too, and, like now, I didn't have the monies to go swapping it.

Norfair on
  • Options
    DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    All the rumors seem to be concerned about are flashy new bits, like cameras and MP3 players. We'll see what happens on Thursday, but so far it sounds to me more like a parallel SKU than a complete replacement for the DS. Kinda like the combination Gamecube/DVD player that was made, except not a 3rd-party Japan-only affair.

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • Options
    colawarscolawars Pittsburgh, PARegistered User regular
    edited September 2008

2. Nintendo Wi-Fi dongle

I would like to know how to do this, step-by-step with a linksys wrt 45g router. Please PM me

colawars on
    3DS: 1049-1266-2726
  • Options
    scootchscootch Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    price drop? please I hope price drop. I don't need mp3 and camera, I have a cellphone that does that. I want a another DSlite. hinge is cracked and the battery life is hanging around at 2 hours or so. this thing is a dying beast. my beautiful sweet beast...

scootch on
    TF2 stats
    PSN: super_emu
    Xbox360 Gamertag: Emuchop
  • Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    scootch wrote: »
    price drop? please I hope price drop. I don't need mp3 and camera, I have a cellphone that does that. I want a another DSlite. hinge is cracked and the battery life is hanging around at 2 hours or so. this thing is a dying beast. my beautiful sweet beast...
    Nintendo might repair the crack (how long it has been out of warranty may be a factor), and a new battery is $15.

Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

According to the article, this stuff will create a price increase.

Though I wonder if Nintendo will actually have two models of the DS, one with the new stuff and one without.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    cloudeagle wrote: »

Though I wonder if Nintendo will actually have two models of the DS, one with the new stuff and one without.

Someone already mentioned it, but I can see more and more hints at this being a Panasonic Q situation.

PeregrineFalcon on
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

Someone already mentioned it, but I can see more and more hints at this being a Panasonic Q situation.

I really don't see Nintendo creating a new iteration of the DS that results in DS games that are not compatible with the Lite and Fat. That's a really fucking huge install base to be going all SHUN! at.

However, it'll be a new DS with new features, it'll probably look sexier, and it'll probably drop the price of the DS Lite.... so I will still be super pissed that I just bought a goddamn DS Lite.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    eobeteobet 8-bit childhood SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Seems like iPhone envy to me.

I mean the iPhone is competing with the DS on the gaming side (Super Monkey Ball from SEGA, Need For Speed from EA, etc), which seems to have made Nintendo nervous.

And maybe Nintendo can beat the iPhone camera (sucky 2mp) but there is absolutely zero percent chance that they will make an mp3 player that can compete with the iPhone/iPod.

But I already have a proper digital camera, a sucky one on the iPhone, and now I'm going to get one on the DS as well? I can se exactly zero fun ways to incorporate that in games, but I bet they're going to do a portrait feature like with the Mario Kart arcade game (which is completely useless, because you're sitting right bloody next to each other in anyway).

If Nintendo wants to go after Apple, they should make the device even slimmer and enlarge the displays. That always impresses.

eobet on
    Heard the proposition that RIAA and MPAA should join forces and form "Music And Film Industry Association"?
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    So supposedly a Nintendo employee confirmed that we'll be seeing a new DS, but there aren't any details into what's changing.

This fucking sucks because I want to buy a friend a DS, but her birthday is this Sunday. I have a feeling that I'll be buying her a DS that's gonna be "outdated" by the end of the year.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I actually hope this is true - the only time I use my Nano is in the car, if they made a DS that played MP3s with a comparible battery life, I would consider selling my Nano and Lite for the new model DS and an 8 Gig SD card and calling it a day. The only thing that bothers me is that I would actually like to get rid of the GBA port since I never use it, but given Guitar Hero uses it I doubt they'd do that.

Lindsay Lohan on
  • Options
    wasted pixelswasted pixels Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    So supposedly a Nintendo employee confirmed that we'll be seeing a new DS, but there aren't any details into what's changing.

This fucking sucks because I want to buy a friend a DS, but her birthday is this Sunday. I have a feeling that I'll be buying her a DS that's gonna be "outdated" by the end of the year.

Since it's you, Zero, I just feel compelled to point out that this is how the whole gosh-darned world feels whenever we buy Apple products. :P

wasted pixels on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    eobet wrote: »

I mean the iPhone is competing with the DS on the gaming side

The iPhone is "competing" with the DS in about the same sense that Michael J. Fox could "compete" at the World Jenga Championships.

PeregrineFalcon on
  • Options
    edited September 2008

The iPhone is "competing" with the DS in about the same sense that Michael J. Fox could "compete" at the World Jenga Championships.

Don't be so quick to laugh it off. The App store has been a huge success, and I just saw an Apple ad that shows off DS-quality games (that is, games you wouldn't normally assume are cell phone games). Not to mention it's still very early in the iPhone's gaming life.

I doubt it'll pose a true threat, but there is the potential to erode the DS' sales a bit.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    edited September 2008

Don't be so quick to laugh it off. The App store has been a huge success, and I just saw an Apple ad that shows off DS-quality games (that is, games you wouldn't normally assume are cell phone games). Not to mention it's still very early in the iPhone's gaming life.

I doubt it'll pose a true threat, but there is the potential to erode the DS' sales a bit.

So what you're saying is that it's shakey at best.

:P

PeregrineFalcon on
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

In this situation I'm sure she'll understand if you wait and see. Better a late present with explanation than an inferior one.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2008

No, I'm saying it's enough of a threat to cause Nintendo to consider/implement hardware changes.

Doesn't have to be a huge threat to do that.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    edited September 2008

Oh, I get it, he has Parkinson's! That's funny.

Poor taste aside, bear in mind that Super Monkey Ball for the iPhone sold 300k units in June. The entire NDS library combined in the US sold 700k units in the same date range. The iPhone is a very legitimate threat to Nintendo -- certainly more of one than the PSP.

Edit: fixed the date range.

wasted pixels on
  • Options
    SAW776SAW776 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    If Apple believed in a stylus, I'd be a little more worried, but as it stands, the lack of both buttons and a stylus for more precise touches is going to keep it from really expanding in the gaming market.

SAW776 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    PSN: SAW776
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Oh, I get it, he has Parkinson's! That's funny.

Poor taste aside, bear in mind that Super Monkey Ball for the iPhone sold 300k units in June. The entire NDS library combined in the US sold 700k units in the same date range. The iPhone is a very legitimate threat to Nintendo -- certainly more of one than the PSP.

Edit: fixed the date range.

1. SMB iPhone sold 300k units between June 11 and August 11th.
    2. Guitar Hero DS and Lego Indy DS sold 422K and 268K each in the month of June alone.
    3. That's not counting the rest of the DS software library.
    4. Or the month of July.
    5. Ad hom - Apple buyers are sheep, and will buy it because it's hey look guys I have the new game on my iDevice, do you?
    6. Also note "the" new game. It's not like they really have a lot of options.
    7. Parkinson's jokes are still funny.

PeregrineFalcon on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    7. Parkinson's jokes are still funny.

You are a giant tool.

wasted pixels on