As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

New DS w/camera & DL games, Wii storage fix, Sin & Punishment 2, more! Check OP

• ZackSchillingZackSchilling Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    It's possible you're right, and I'm sure the internal flash does have the advantage of taking a known amount of time. But. According to the SD standard, the slowest maximum transfer speed is 0.9MB/s, which by some rough calculations based of Rock Band DLC, is more than fast enough by 2 or 3 times. Some really shitty/broken/old cards might go slower than this, but the number of people using that type of card should be fairly small.

ZackSchilling on
    ghost-robot.jpg
  • mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I'm no expert on this junk, so this could just be nonsense, but is that the sequential read rate? If the DLC is stored with each track stored after one another (as separate files within an archive, or whatever), then it would have be constantly reading from different locations, right? It might be slower, or something, I don't know.

mntorankusu on
  • ZackSchillingZackSchilling Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I'm no expert on this junk, so this could just be nonsense, but is that the sequential read rate? If the DLC is stored with each track stored after one another (as separate files within an archive, or whatever), then it would have be constantly reading from different locations, right? It might be slower, or something, I don't know.

It's maximum sequential read, yeah. It's the only solid number I could find, as minimum guaranteed read speed is not a number anyone sticks on their product with pride. In finding that number, I went way conservative by choosing the slowest standard speed, which I'm not sure you can even buy anymore. Just look at the dregs of Newegg when searching for ultra cheap SD cards. Even the shittiest ones report 6.0MB/s max speed. If they only report it as a multiple of whatever, that whatever is 150KB/s.

Fragmentation shouldn't ever be bad enough to impact gameplay, Not unless you're shuffling in and out hundreds of songs, which you wouldn't do, since the SD card is where they live.

What I'm saying is that rough calculations, allowing for read speeds almost 10 times slower than advertised STILL allow just about any modern SD card to stream this content.

ZackSchilling on
    ghost-robot.jpg
  • mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    The easiest way to tell if this is anywhere close to necessary will be to just wait until it comes out and see how long it takes to copy from an extremely slow, fragmented SD card. If it takes significantly less than 3 minutes for a 3 minute song, it's bullshit. If it takes more than that in any case, then it's not going to be worth the trouble to play DLC songs!

mntorankusu on
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    elkatas wrote: »
    BTW, here is Nintendo's own, official translation of what Iwata said about storage solution:

"We will make it so that, when there is not enough room on the Wii's internal memory, you will be able to purchase and download Virtual Console and WiiWare software directly from the Shopping Channel to an SD memory card. We will also make it so that you will need to go through just one process in order to transfer Virtual Console or WiiWare software stored on an SD card to the Wii console and then be able to play it. We would like to deal with this issue utilizing two methods. Since the updates to realize these new structures will require significant revisions to the Wii system, and these changes need to be made by taking care of a variety of different angles, this method will become effective beginning next spring. For some of you, this may be considered late. But please know that we really appreciate your cooperation and understanding. We are working hard so we can begin the service as soon as possible."

I hope this clarifies things lil bit.

Source

Wait... so... software doesn't even run off of the SD card? They are just making it a little easier to shuffle shit between your card and the onboard storage? What a fucking cop out. That fixes NOTHING.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
    edited October 2008
    If the games on the SD card show up as channels or there's a simple way of viewing the content of the SD card from the main menu, then I'm fine with it. Especially if the ~40 MB of space it needs free to copy them is taken from the system-reserved portion of the internal memory, but that might be a little much to hope for.

I just don't want to have to go into a menu three or four levels deep, delete something off of the internal memory, and then copy something from my SD card to be able to play it.

mntorankusu on
  • Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2008
    BTW, here is Nintendo's own, official translation of what Iwata said about storage solution:

"We will make it so that, when there is not enough room on the Wii's internal memory, you will be able to purchase and download Virtual Console and WiiWare software directly from the Shopping Channel to an SD memory card. We will also make it so that you will need to go through just one process in order to transfer Virtual Console or WiiWare software stored on an SD card to the Wii console and then be able to play it. We would like to deal with this issue utilizing two methods. Since the updates to realize these new structures will require significant revisions to the Wii system, and these changes need to be made by taking care of a variety of different angles, this method will become effective beginning next spring. For some of you, this may be considered late. But please know that we really appreciate your cooperation and understanding. We are working hard so we can begin the service as soon as possible."

Source

Wait... so... software doesn't even run off of the SD card? They are just making it a little easier to shuffle shit between your card and the onboard storage? What a fucking cop out. That fixes NOTHING.

"We appreciate your cooperation and understanding, since we drug out feet and told you to fuck off over the past year, before we couldn't ignore this issue any longer."

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • CyrixdCyrixd Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

Source

"We appreciate your cooperation and understanding, since we drug out feet and told you to fuck off over the past year, before we couldn't ignore this issue any longer.

Now here is the solution you did not want."

Fixed.

Cyrixd on
    Nintendo ID/PSN: CyrixD
    SteamID: FronWewq
    Battle.net: Orange#1845
    3DS Friend Code: 1289-9498-5797
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    "We appreciate your cooperation and understanding, since we drug out feet and told you to fuck off over the past year, before we couldn't ignore this issue any longer."
    Oh, they could ignore the issue for much longer.

Couscous on
  • maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I'm excited to finally play Chibi Robo, and perhaps I can finally finish Prime 1 & 2 on the Wii.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Cyrixd wrote: »

Source

"We appreciate your cooperation and understanding, since we drug out feet and told you to fuck off over the past year, before we couldn't ignore this issue any longer.

Fixed.

I wish I could have been in the board room where/when they made this decision... I just want to see what kind of backwards logic brought this about.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    But this:
    We will also make it so that you will need to go through just one process in order to transfer Virtual Console or WiiWare software stored on an SD card to the Wii console and then be able to play it.

What is one process? While playing off the card would be best, if it's quick and easy then I don't care, it'll be close enough to running off the card.

Click button, copy game to card. Click button, copy other game to internal and autoplay when finished. No problem.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • unknownsome1unknownsome1 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I'm gonna wait on this new DS for a while. I got my DS lite in summer '07 and love it. The camera on the DSi doesn't interest me but being able to download games onto it sounds cool.

unknownsome1 on
  • contrabandcontraband Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Is anyone else excited at the prospect of using the camera to read QR codes?

contraband on
    sigxw0.jpg
  • SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    contraband wrote: »

What are QR codes?

SirUltimos on
    edited October 2008
    SirUltimos wrote: »

What are QR codes?

Have you ever seen one of these?

WikiQR.png

This is a QR code. Pretty much everything in Japan has them, often with a URL embedded in them so when you take a picture of it with your phone it will automatically go to it.

They're pretty cool.

mntorankusu on
  • SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Oh, so that's what those things are! I see them on damn near everything but had no idea what they actually were. Awesome.

SirUltimos on
  • BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Cyrixd wrote: »

Source

Fixed.

I wish I could have been in the board room where/when they made this decision... I just want to see what kind of backwards logic brought this about.

I don't understand the difference between playing from the sd card and what they're planning on doing. From what I understood the problem was that sd cards were too slow to deal with that kind of thing so what else were they going to do? They gotta read from the card eventually.

My iPhone has a QR code "reader" but it really can't take a sharp enough picture of any but the largest qr codes to decode them.

BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    BlueBlue wrote: »

I don't understand the difference between playing from the sd card and what they're planning on doing. From what I understood the problem was that sd cards were too slow to deal with that kind of thing so what else were they going to do? They gotta read from the card eventually.

My iPhone has a QR code "reader" but it really can't take a sharp enough picture of any but the largest qr codes to decode them.
    SD cards are more than fast enough, they are in fact much faster than any of the media the games were on in their original forms. The problem is that nintendo has some extremely slow, crappy encryption and decryption that goes on when transferring things to SD cards.

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    SirUltimos wrote: »

What are QR codes?

Have you ever seen one of these?

WikiQR.png

This is a QR code. Pretty much everything in Japan has them, often with a URL embedded in them so when you take a picture of it with your phone it will automatically go to it.

They're pretty cool.

Return of the E-reader!
    Dun dun dun....

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2008
    http://kotaku.com/5059870/dsi-games-are-region-locked

DSi-specific games will be region locked.

FyreWulff on
  • The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    FyreWulff wrote: »

Read that earlier today. I'm instantly turned off. I own a handful of Moon-language DS games and damn it if Ouendan 3 comes out for the DSi you better bet your fucking ass I want a copy.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • DourinDourin Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

Read that earlier today. I'm instantly turned off. I own a handful of Moon-language DS games and damn it if Ouendan 3 comes out for the DSi you better bet your fucking ass I want a copy.

Oh god...I just thought of the worst/best feature to go into that game. "Ouendan 3 for the DSi! Now upload your face, as well as your friends, onto those in your cheer squad! Now YOU hold the power to cheer!" Or something along those lines. You know its going to happen...
    And it'd be fucking glorious

Dourin on
  • The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Dourin wrote: »

Oh god...I just thought of the worst/best feature to go into that game. "Ouendan 3 for the DSi! Now upload your face, as well as your friends, onto those in your cheer squad! Now YOU hold the power to cheer!" Or something along those lines. You know its going to happen...
    And it'll be fucking glorious
    Just not for us..

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
    edited October 2008

Just not for us..

Good point, the spoiler has been fixed.

Dourin on
    edited October 2008

Just not for us..

Good point, the spoiler has been fixed.

Besides all us savages in America would probably just spoil it for everybody else with Peenuendan.. =P

The_Spaniard on
  • Dodge AspenDodge Aspen Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    So 1up is reporting Nintendo Points will be system specific. No using those Wii points for DS games or vice-versa. You choose the system to put them on while adding them. Boo.

Dodge Aspen on
    Xbox - Dodge Mega
    Switch - SW-3699-5063-5018

edited October 2008
    So 1up is reporting Nintendo Points will be system specific. No using those Wii points for DS games or vice-versa. You choose the system to put them on while adding them. Boo.

I thought that was kind of the point of calling them "Nintendo Points" instead of just making some "DS Points" in addition to Wii points. Boo, indeed.

Dourin on
  • CymoroCymoro Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    What happened, Nintendo? You were on such a roll. You were flying.

Cymoro on
    i am perpetual, i make the country clean
  • ThatOneYoYoGuyThatOneYoYoGuy Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

Earlier today I imagined Ouendan/EBA with DLC. It would be so beautiful...

ThatOneYoYoGuy on
  • RockinXRockinX Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Man, fuck that shit. I thought the DS being region-free didn't give Nintendo any trouble?

RockinX on
  • taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Cymoro wrote: »

This is what nintendo does, they dangle a carrot in front of your face, and then when you're reaching out for that carrot, they jump out and rape you in the ass D:

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Given that DSi games won't run on the DS, I reckon most of the DSi stuff will be the downloaded software.

Handhelds being multi-region is one of their selling points for adults, and adults playing DS is why $$$$$$円円円円円円円

poshniallo on
    I figure I could take a bear.
    edited October 2008
    poshniallo wrote: »
    Given that DSi games won't run on the DS, I reckon most of the DSi stuff will be the downloaded software.

Handhelds being multi-region is one of their selling points for adults, and adults playing DS is why $$$$$$円円円円円円円
    They act as if people don't travel. I've lost count of how many handheld games I've purchased in airports or overseas.

The_Spaniard on
  • inthegrayinthegray Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    in a way, i'm kind of happy about this decision to add a little region-locking -- this way, less people will preorder a DSi, making it easier for me to snatch one!

inthegray on
    edited October 2008
    RockinX wrote: »
    Man, fuck that shit. I thought the DS being region-free didn't give Nintendo any trouble?

I would bet it's just for DL games. I really don't see how they could enforce region restrictions on physical games that have to work with the older DS systems.

Also, why would Nintendo make "DSi" games and alienate a fucking MASSIVE install base? That's just stupid. Sure there will be 1 or 2 that use the camera, but it won't be anything worth getting all up in arms about.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
    edited October 2008
    inthegray wrote: »
    in a way, i'm kind of happy about this decision to add a little region-locking -- this way, less people will preorder a DSi, making it easier for me to snatch one!

You're a butthole, lol :lol:

The_Spaniard on
  • darren66darren66 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

This is what nintendo does, they dangle a carrot in front of your face, and then when you're reaching out for that carrot, they jump out and rape you in the ass D:

I think it was Tycho who said it best when he said about Nintendo "just to remind you that Nintendo made it there is a serious flaw".

darren66 on
    Wii U sucks, but my NNID is da66en. Steam is route66. 3DS is 2938-8099-8160.
    Neo Geo Big Red owners club.
    2009 PAX Puzzle Quest Champion
    I have beat Rygar on the NES and many of you have not.
    edited October 2008
    darren66 wrote: »

I think it was Tycho who said it best when he said about Nintendo "just to remind you that Nintendo made it there is a serious flaw".

You can't fuck small children and get away with it unless you're a huge multinational corporation?

The_Spaniard on
  • MinionOfCthulhuMinionOfCthulhu Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Hahaha, it's region locked? Fuck that.

MinionOfCthulhu on
    mgssig.jpg1152dt.gif