As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Nigerian/Bank emails etc

SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
edited October 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
I've started getting a lot of these tricksy money lending emails, and I could swear it started after letting my email be used by Norton when I got the trial.

I'm using a tiny little webmail server from the domain that my brother purchased, and with the legitimate sounding emails and the sensible language in the body of the emails, I'm not sure how I can approach blocking all this spam. Any ideas?

PSN: Kurahoshi1
Septus on

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Septus wrote: »
    I've started getting a lot of these tricksy money lending emails, and I could swear it started after letting my email be used by Norton when I got the trial.

I'm using a tiny little webmail server from the domain that my brother purchased, and with the legitimate sounding emails and the sensible language in the body of the emails, I'm not sure how I can approach blocking all this spam. Any ideas?

Sounds like your email host needs to do some filtering. Do you know if they have that set up or are willing to set that up?

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    saint2esaint2e Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    You could also use a email app like thunderbird that uses learning filters to filter things out for you.

saint2e on
    banner_160x60_01.gif
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    bowen wrote: »
    Septus wrote: »

Sounds like your email host needs to do some filtering. Do you know if they have that set up or are willing to set that up?

I talked to my brother about that briefly and he said that there was some sort of spam filtering, but didn't think there was anything more to do.
    saint2e wrote: »
    You could also use a email app like thunderbird that uses learning filters to filter things out for you.

Do I just mark all the spam as spam, and it does the learning for me, or do I need to identify certain attributes?

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    saint2esaint2e Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    You just mark spam as spam and it learns from what you mark, basically. Very easy to use.

saint2e on
    banner_160x60_01.gif
  • Options
    CrashtardCrashtard Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I'll second using thunderbird. I love it, and my spam went down drastically once it learned what I thought was spam.

Crashtard on
    I pinky swear that we will not screw you.

Crashtard.jpg
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I will third that option if the mail server side is unwilling or unable to do anything.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Bewildered_RoninBewildered_Ronin Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    BTW, spam can be reported to the FTC (spam@uce.gov) and also reported to the originating ISP by using services such as SpamCop.net (a free service). When reporting to the FTC, you must include the full header of the offending email in the message.

Bewildered_Ronin on
    Blog - Bewildered Ronin @ Blogspot | 24/7 streaming NPR Talk & BBC World - RadioIQ
    Steam ID - BewilderedRonin
    {_,.~o-0=| She's Half |=0-o~.,_}