Options

Sacred 2, what you will be playing while waiting for Diablo 3

• Options
    VoroVoro Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I remember the first one lacked dismemberment and blood geysers in the US, but the UK import had the goods. Any idea what's going to happen with this one? Seems like we've got two new publishers for this that I've never heard of.
    arcath wrote: »
    Yes, Sacred 1 was fixed. With all the expansions and patches, it is a fine game to play if you need your D2 itch scratched for something new.

new if you never played it.

I seem to remember Underworld had a sound bug concerning the dwarf's gun and its sound stopping completely. Was that eventually fixed as well? I might have to reinstall.

Voro on
    XBL GamerTag: Comrade Nexus
  • Options
    darklite_xdarklite_x I'm not an r-tard... Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I know this isn't very insightful, but this game sounds really cool. I actually never played the first, and didn't even know this was coming out, but reading about it makes me want to play it. Other than November, is there a solid date on this? I'm honestly a little disappointed that I went all year without any interest in any single game that came out, and now they're releasing GoW2, Fable 2, L4D, and Sacred 2 within a month or so of each other? Sometimes I really hate the gaming industry.

darklite_x on
    Steam ID: darklite_x Xbox Gamertag: Darklite 37 PSN:Rage_Kage_37 Battle.Net:darklite#2197
  • Options
    Glenn565Glenn565 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Voro wrote: »
    I remember the first one lacked dismemberment and blood geysers in the US, but the UK import had the goods. Any idea what's going to happen with this one? Seems like we've got two new publishers for this that I've never heard of.

From what I've played of the German Demo there wasn't any dismemberment in it at all.

Speaking of which, I had a lot of fun with the demo. I'll have to wait for the 360 version; my computer chugs whenever there's more then 8 enemies on the screen.

Glenn565 on
    3DS code:4511-0654-1976
    NNID: Glenn565
  • Options
    arcatharcath Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Voro wrote: »
    arcath wrote: »
    Yes, Sacred 1 was fixed. With all the expansions and patches, it is a fine game to play if you need your D2 itch scratched for something new.

new if you never played it.

I seem to remember Underworld had a sound bug concerning the dwarf's gun and its sound stopping completely. Was that eventually fixed as well? I might have to reinstall.

I just played through with the dwarf a couple weeks ago, no sound problems. No problems at all really.

But I purchase through steam because I could not find the old install CDs.

arcath on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    You could turn dismemberment and blood geysers back on in the first game by editing a config file.

Don't remember which one, though.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    So far I just can't get into the demo. I'm a little irritated that I can only play the Seraphim, and that the seraphim prances around the battlefield in high heels (not even armored high heel boots - actual high heeled shoes). That just seems really......ridiculous somehow.

That is, pretty much, entirely the point. The first Sacred was basically a big ridiculous loot crawl

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    arcatharcath Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Goumindong wrote: »
    So far I just can't get into the demo. I'm a little irritated that I can only play the Seraphim, and that the seraphim prances around the battlefield in high heels (not even armored high heel boots - actual high heeled shoes). That just seems really......ridiculous somehow.

That is, pretty much, entirely the point. The first Sacred was basically a big ridiculous loot crawl

Just like every other game in its genre.

arcath on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    DisDis Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    BUMP
    Coming out soon.
    Anyone going to DL the full game for the 1 day full game trial?

Owners of Ascaron's PC action-RPG Sacred 2--due in North America on November 11--will be able to share the full game with friends and family for one calendar day.
    Copies purchased via retail and digital download will both sport the functionality, which allows recipients to access the full game in both LAN and single-player modes, but locks off online multiplayer component. After that one day, those players will be able to unlock the game through an online purchase.

Though the announcement was light on details, publisher cdv indicated that "subsequent installs" of the game will act as the demo version, suggesting that players will have the choice of registering their copy or activating the demo after installation.

Now the question is how nasty the DRM would be.

Dis on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    A-PuckA-Puck Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    So, any reports on this game? Anyone get it/play it?

A-Puck on
    Soon... soon I will install you, my precious.
  • Options
    VikingToTheMaxVikingToTheMax Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    i got it the other evening and so far i have enjoyed it. i've bought every diablo like hack and slash and i have played some very very bad ones but this one holds up. its no diablo 2 but its enjoyable very similar to the original has a good bit of humor packed into the game and loot and skills all over the place

VikingToTheMax on
  • Options
    frank as fuckfrank as fuck __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2008
    I want to check this out as well, so maybe it will be my impulse buy of the week.

frank as fuck on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I'm enjoying the living heck out of it myself. Extra appreciative of all the quality of life features in the game, too- large inventory, huge town chest with a secondary tab shared between all your characters, the ability to sell items right from the inventory (for a reduced value), a proportionally large number of drops relevant to your class, the ability to teleport to your bind point at any time, no obvious death penalty (unless playing hardcore, of course), etc.
    Combine that with a lot of 4th wall breaking humour and it just makes for a game designed to be fun, rather than a chore.

Glal on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    That's cool, sounds like something I'd enjoy. It's coming in at Metacritic with a score of about 77, and a significantly higher user rating of 8.6. Plenty of talk in the assorted reviews about the bugs and such, so it might be worth waiting a while for people who already have plenty of other stuff to play this fall.

frank as fuck on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Well, there have been two patches put out for the game already. I only encountered two bugs so far, one quest related (I killed all the mobs, but they didn't drop all the items. Simply saving, reloading the game and walking back there fixed it as the game recognised I'd already killed everyone and spawned the last item for me) and one crash to desktop- but since your progress is saved every time you finish a quest, no harm done.

Glal on
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Viking, Glal -- quick question about combat. Is this Diablo2 style, sort of "click on enemy and combat occurs," or is action-rpg more in the vein of Untold Legend or Dungeon Siege PSP, where's it's a bit more "run around button mashan"?

desc on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    i'd say more like diablo 2

VikingToTheMax on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    How similar is it to Sacred 1?

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    desc wrote: »
    Viking, Glal -- quick question about combat. Is this Diablo2 style, sort of "click on enemy and combat occurs," or is action-rpg more in the vein of Untold Legend or Dungeon Siege PSP, where's it's a bit more "run around button mashan"?
    Diablo. Although I expect the console versions are more Baldur's Gate PS2, what with the different controller scheme.

Glal on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    having played and enjoyed sacred 1 but never finished it. (just so many quests and i get distracted by shinny objects or other games) sacred 2 is very similar but has a good amount of new cool things to improve the game.

VikingToTheMax on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I'd really like to see a review from a bigger outlet sometime, too. Eurogamer, where you at?

frank as fuck on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    If its similar enough to Sacred 1, you can Play Sacred 1 and expansion free via gametap. So you can play that and see if you like it

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    DHS OdiumDHS Odium Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Any idea if this will support screen sharing co-op on the consoles?

DHS Odium on
    Wii U: DHS-Odium // Live: DHS Odium // PSN: DHSOdium // Steam: dhsykes // 3DS: 0318-6615-5294
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    http://features.teamxbox.com/xbox/2295/Sacred-2-Multiplayer-Reveal/p1/
    Sacred 2: Fallen Angel allows two players per Xbox 360, and the use of two consoles for it's four player action, but you can also go with one player on four different consoles, or two on one 360 and the other two with their on console; it's all up to you.

Glal on
  • Options
    DisDis Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Dis on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    OK, I DL'd the demo for this last night and gave it a whirl. Being a demo, some of the bad and ugly may have been fixed for release.

Gameplay will be familiar to anyone who has ever played a loot crawl, with the exception of moving around with wasdx (click to move works as well) you should be able to pick it up no problem. The only gripe I've got is that there is apparently no way to stand and shoot if you aren't shooting at a target (I tried a bow spec). Or at least no way that was obvious. Similarly there was no obvious way to quickly move between skill sets.
    It gives a bit of the impression of being a single player MMO in some ways. Abilities are restricted by cooldowns rather than a mana pool, lots of fetch and kill the foozle/collect foozle bits quests, question marks/exclamation points over the heads of the various quest givers, etc.

The Good: Interesting character advancement, lots of options for customization, nice graphics. Their combo system is brilliant and fun to play with.

The Bad: Tool tips need some work, their ragdoll is... wonky, insufficient explanation for a demo as to what is going on, when you mouse over a piece of equipment it doesn't give you a comparison between the mouse over and what you have equiped.

The Ugly: One CTD, one freeze up. On my computer the graphics got very weird at the edges of the screen It's like the grass is growing rapidly just at the edge of your vision. I also had a bit of rubber banding going on, which gives me horrible flashbacks to Titan Quest.

A-Puck on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Sad to learn that this comes with SecuROM on Steam. Means I'll probably take a pass for now.

frank as fuck on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    A-puck, try holding down ctrl when you attack, that is how you do it in sacred 1.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    That's also how you do it in Diablo... and you change between the slotted skills with 1-4 (two unlocked at the start, more as you level). And you need to up grass density if you don't want to see it "grow" with low camera angles, it's just a performance setting.
    Never had rubber banding though... not even sure how that works outside of online games. o_O

Glal on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Glal wrote: »
    That's also how you do it in Diablo... and you change between the slotted skills with 1-4 (two unlocked at the start, more as you level). And you need to up grass density if you don't want to see it "grow" with low camera angles, it's just a performance setting.
    Never had rubber banding though... not even sure how that works outside of online games. o_O

I tried hitting the control... no dice. 1-4 change the right button mouse skills, but I meant that there is no hotkey for swapping out, say, the first rmb skill to one that you have in your book. Meaning that I have 2 options for the RMB skill, there is no way that I could discover to swap out shield for heal on the fly for my second choice.

The rubber banding kind of threw me as well, it only happened once though. It happens frequently playing titans quest.

How do you change the camera angle? I didn't come across that command. I also would LOVE to know the hotkey for switching between weapon sets. I've got a pole arm and a bow, but to switch between the two takes a lmb click. A lmb that could be used for one-shotting a kobold.

A-Puck on
  • Options
    Asamof the HorribleAsamof the Horrible Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I played this for a bit and it was pretty fun. It's a shame that playing on anything other than lowest settings made my mouse get lag...hopefully they fix it up as much as they did sacred 1

then again sacred 1 still has problems like horses getting jammed in corners and not being able to remount them...

eh...these guys need to learn how to program better

Asamof the Horrible on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    A-Puck wrote: »
    I tried hitting the control... no dice. 1-4 change the right button mouse skills, but I meant that there is no hotkey for swapping out, say, the first rmb skill to one that you have in your book. Meaning that I have 2 options for the RMB skill, there is no way that I could discover to swap out shield for heal on the fly for my second choice.

Yea, this is how they enforce you making choices as to what powers you will use.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Goumindong wrote: »
    A-Puck wrote: »

Yea, this is how they enforce you making choices as to what powers you will use.

Except it seems to be a false enforcement, since all I have to do is open my powers page and right click. So it's possible to swap them out on the fly, it's just annoying.

A-Puck on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Hoykeys. Post patch though, so some might be different in the demo.
    B) Hotkeys

[Esc] - Main Menu
    [F1] - Weapon 1
    [F2] - Weapon 2
    [F3] - Weapon 3
    [F4] - Weapon 4
    [F5] - Orb 1
    [F6] - Orb 2
    [F7] - Orb 3
    [F8] - Orb 4
    [F9] - Quicksave (see descriptions below)
    [F10] - Save on current Resurrection Monolith
    [F12] - Force Respawn at current Resurrection Monolith

[1] - Combat art slot 1
    [2] - Combat art slot 2
    [3] - Combat art slot 3
    [4] - Combat art slot 4
    [5] - Buff 1
    [6] - Buff 2
    [7] - Buff 3
    [0] - Call mount
    [Tab] - Minimap
    [Q] - Collect everything
    [W] - Forward
    [A] - Turn camera left
    - Back
    [D] - Turn camera right
    [E] - Combat art screen
    [F] - Inventory
    [Z] - True north
    [X] - Carrier Imp (only in ClosedNet mode and with special unlock key)
    [C] - Skill / attribute screen
    [L] - Logbook
    [M] - World map
    [G] - Divine gift
    [R] - Potion 1
    [T] - Potion 2
    [Z] - Potion 3
    - Potion 4
    - Potion 5
    [O] - Potion 6
    [Space] - Use health potion
    [Shift] - Mouse action / defensive (see descriptions below)
    [Ctrl] - Several functions in combinations with left mouse button
    (see descriptions below)
    [Alt] - Display items / world objects
    [Enter] / [Return] - Yes / Ok / Open chat in multiplayer mode
    [Print] - Create screenshot
    [-] (numpad) - Zoom in
    [+] (numpad) - Zoom out

Descriptions:

[Ctrl] +
    on an item while at the Trader
    Quick buying and selling of items: If you [Ctrl] +
    on
    an item you want to buy or sell, you can do so without getting a
    confirmation query.

[Ctrl] +
    on a Character Portrait
    Team teleport: When you are playing a Multiplayer game, you can use this
    combination to teleport directly to any player from your group.

[Ctrl] +
    on another Character
    Trading: Opens up the trade menu on the selected character.

[Shift]
    Increase your defense: Pressing and holding [Shift] increases your defense
    on incoming attacks. However, while holding [Shift] you cannot move or
    attack.

[Shift] +
    on an Item in your Inventory
    Unstack Items: This combination allows you to separate stacked items (e.g.
    potions) in your inventory.
    on the World Map
    Drag view of the World Map: Press and hold down
    to
    drag the world map in the desired direction in order to view other areas.

[Mouse Wheel]
    Camera Zoom and Map Zoom: Scroll [Mouse Wheel] to change both the zoom and
    the angle of the camera. On the world map, scroll to zoom in and out.

[Middle Mouse Button] on the World Map
    Open the Minimap: With this hotkey, you can open the minimap from the
    world map. Move the mouse around to see areas you've already visited.

[Middle Mouse Button]
    Adjust the Camera Position: Hold the [Middle Mouse Button] and move your
    mouse to change the camera angle.

[X]
    If you press [X] a little carrier imp comes along immediately with your
    blue chest, so that you can distribute your items anywhere and not only
    in the cities.
    Attention: This function is only available if you've got a special
    activation key for the carrier imp (e.g. when you bought the Collector's
    Edition) and only in ClosedNet mode. To activate the carrier imp, you must
    enter the activation key in the multiplayer mode.

[F9]
    Quicksave Function: Saves the current position. If you have quicksaved a
    current position you can exit the game. Once you load the quicksave, you
    will reappear at the place you quicksaved.
    However, please be aware of the following:
    o The quicksaved position will be overwritten by the following three
    actions:
    + the character dies
    + the character has clicked on a soulstone
    + you load another save game
    o Once you loaded your quicksaved game the current position is NOT
    saved again automatically. In order to save it, hit [F9] once more.
    o All enemies are back again after loading a quicksaved game! Be
    careful, because it could be dangerous to quicksave in an area where
    you've just killed enemies, or in front of a dragon...

Glal on
  • Options
    Venkman90Venkman90 Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Looking better than I expected frankly, as I stopped upgrading my PC a while back I am holding out hope for a good loot crawl on the 360 and if they fix some of the bugs pre the console launch (new year iirc) then it could be a winnar.

Venkman90 on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Oh man, the Temple Guardian (statue-looking cyborg with a gunarm that transforms as you change skills) has the best special mount ever. Behold, the Mobiculum!
    sacred2guardian4mq3.jpg

Extra love for the fact that using skills on the special mount actually has him type commands into the console as the mount executes them. The second picture is me going "wait, Temple Guardians get a short flight power, what happens if I use it on a mount?".

Glal on
  • Options
    VoroVoro Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Just bit the bullet and took the plunge to buy this over Steam. Played the first Sacred at release so I know exactly what to expect from Ascaron. Hopefully I'll have good things to say at the end of tomorrow, assuming it's done downloading by then.

Voro on
    XBL GamerTag: Comrade Nexus
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    So, is this better than the original? Because I found the original to be frustrating to play (due to wonky and loose controls), and not terribly interesting in terms of design (in that most of the characters and monsters were ugly as hell)

Also, what's up with the CE and "better textures"? Are they that much better?

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Man, General Grievous is going to be pissed when he finds out someone hotwired his car.

desc on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    The CE texture pack doubles the environment texture resolution. Good luck having a machine that can run that though (and you can't really see the improvement except in full-zoom only-good-for-screenshots camera modes). You can legally download the texture pack, they only excluded it from normal releases because it's another 9GB DVD for them to pay for.

Can't say I noticed loose controls. Controls exactly like Diablo 2 to me, right down to holding Ctrl to stand still and attack sans target.

On a tangent, I just discovered that one of the 6 types of potions whose secondary stacks I've been vendoring because I never use them was a +50% EXP gain one. Much AoE fun has been had since. Wish I'd known that when I was fighting the first boss...

Glal on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Glal wrote: »
    The CE texture pack doubles the environment texture resolution. Good luck having a machine that can run that though (and you can't really see the improvement except in full-zoom only-good-for-screenshots camera modes). You can legally download the texture pack, they only excluded it from normal releases because it's another 9GB DVD for them to pay for.

Can't say I noticed loose controls. Controls exactly like Diablo 2 to me, right down to holding Ctrl to stand still and attack sans target.

On a tangent, I just discovered that one of the 6 types of potions whose secondary stacks I've been vendoring because I never use them was a +50% EXP gain one. Much AoE fun has been had since. Wish I'd known that when I was fighting the first boss...

I was trying the demo again over the weekend and the ctrl to stand thing has worked every time except the first time I played it. *shrug*

A-Puck on