Options

Sacred 2, what you will be playing while waiting for Diablo 3

• Options
    brynstarbrynstar Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Dashui wrote: »
    I'm surprised to see this thread return, although I didn't know it was just released on consoles. I didn't think the game was popular enough. Is it worth picking up the Xbox 360? And I assume the majority of the people in this thread are getting it on consoles and probably that system?

Oh, brynstar, how does the console version compare to the PC version graphically? Gameplay/control wise? Which do you prefer?

The graphics are not quite as flashy on the console and the framerate definitely struggles from time to time, but it's still a decent looking game. The music also seems less prominent, and I've had a couple of sound bugs.

However, the presentation is the only area in which the console version pales a little. The new interface is really slick, and allows for quick access to more powers than the PC version did. Face buttons can be assigned to different attacks or spells, and each trigger can be held to shift to a new set of assignments, so you can have up to 12 combat arts assigned simultaneously.

The inventory system has been changed to Dark Alliance-style weight limits and lists, rather than Diablo-style inventory Tetris. The text has all been re-typeset at a much larger size, and this sometimes makes it look a little funky. Also, the teleportation system is more friendly on the console, allowing teleportation to multiple locations from the map screen, rather than just one recall point. The enemy health bars no longer display their character level on the console version, but this is no biggie.

So yeah, the console version is basically the PC version with slightly worse graphics and a heavily tweaked interface. The controls are great. The only thing I'd recommend is changing the camera setting from "Follow" to "Static," as the follow setting can get a little wonky. It's clear that the extra development time was used to improve and overhaul the interface for consoles, and for the most part it feels well-tweaked to the platform.

brynstar on
    Xbox Live: Xander51
    PSN ID : Xander51 Steam ID : Xander51
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    brynstar wrote: »
    I'm surprised to see this thread return, although I didn't know it was just released on consoles. I didn't think the game was popular enough. Is it worth picking up the Xbox 360? And I assume the majority of the people in this thread are getting it on consoles and probably that system?

Oh, brynstar, how does the console version compare to the PC version graphically? Gameplay/control wise? Which do you prefer?

The graphics are not quite as flashy on the console and the framerate definitely struggles from time to time, but it's still a decent looking game. The music also seems less prominent, and I've had a couple of sound bugs.

However, the presentation is the only area in which the console version pales a little. The new interface is really slick, and allows for quick access to more powers than the PC version did. Face buttons can be assigned to different attacks or spells, and each trigger can be held to shift to a new set of assignments, so you can have up to 12 combat arts assigned simultaneously.

The inventory system has been changed to Dark Alliance-style weight limits and lists, rather than Diablo-style inventory Tetris. The text has all been re-typeset at a much larger size, and this sometimes makes it look a little funky. Also, the teleportation system is more friendly on the console, allowing teleportation to multiple locations from the map screen, rather than just one recall point. The enemy health bars no longer display their character level on the console version, but this is no biggie.

So yeah, the console version is basically the PC version with slightly worse graphics and a heavily tweaked interface. The controls are great. The only thing I'd recommend is changing the camera setting from "Follow" to "Static," as the follow setting can get a little wonky. It's clear that the extra development time was used to improve and overhaul the interface for consoles, and for the most part it feels well-tweaked to the platform.

Thanks for the reply. Do you recommend I pick it up on console over the PC then? If so, I can grab it later in the week when I get paid and hop on for some multiplayer co-op with you and others. I greatly enjoyed playing Sacred 1 online, and I imagine this will be just as fun.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    arcatharcath Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    It honestly plays about the same.

People on gamefaqs are complaining about the graphics, but I think it looks great on my 42" LCD in 1080p.

I mean, it's no MSG 32 but it isnt supposed to be either.

It seems like a solid port to me. I am really satisfied with it so far.

Edit: If you have friends over willing to give this a go, then get it on console. The PC version is great multi too, but it would be easier to get one ps3/360 than 3-4 PC that can do the game justice.

Also, console has no hardcore.

arcath on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Ah yes, I forgot about the lack of hardcore. That's not a horrible loss though. There's still an achievement/trophy for beating the game without dying once.

Dash, unless you've got a PC that can accelerate Physx and and are not concerned about having 4 player online multi instead of 16 player, then I'd say go for the console version.

Keep in mind I'm on PS3, so I won't be playing with you this time, but perhaps in the future! The console version also has 2 player local co-op, so that's something to consider as well.

brynstar on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Ah yes, I forgot about the lack of hardcore. That's not a horrible loss though. There's still an achievement/trophy for beating the game without dying once.

Dash, unless you've got a PC that can accelerate Physx and and are not concerned about having 4 player online multi instead of 16 player, then I'd say go for the console version.

Keep in mind I'm on PS3, so I won't be playing with you this time, but perhaps in the future! The console version also has 2 player local co-op, so that's something to consider as well.

I have a PS3 and 360, so it's up in the air which platform I'd get it on. Although, I am leaning toward the PS3 so I won't have to buy Live Gold time cards. If so, you can expect me to be on perhaps by Saturday or Sunday. I'll be going the Seraphim route with a shield. :)

Dashui on
  • Options
    edited May 2009

I have a PS3 and 360, so it's up in the air which platform I'd get it on. Although, I am leaning toward the PS3 so I won't have to buy Live Gold time cards. If so, you can expect me to be on perhaps by Saturday or Sunday. I'll be going the Seraphim route with a shield. :)

Ah fair enough! Yeah, the online play is partially what drew me to buy the game again. A friend of mine is moving and wanted to play something online as part of staying in touch, and she decided to get this game for PS3.

I might be soloing it for a while, but some online play would be fun sometime! I am currently playing a high elf.

EDIT: If you're leaning PS3, it's worth noting that the game is capable of running in 1080p, should you have a TV/monitor that supports it.

brynstar on
  • Options
    BamelinBamelin Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I've heard that the 360 version allows two players to play on one set over Live with two other people (can't do this on the PS3 version ...)

Bamelin on
  • Options
    YallYall Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Bamelin wrote: »
    I've heard that the 360 version allows two players to play on one set over Live with two other people (can't do this on the PS3 version ...)

I've been hearing that as well. No matter (to me anyway), I have the 360 version. Only played for about 20-30 minutes, but it seems like it has potential.

Yall on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Yall wrote: »

I've been hearing that as well. No matter (to me anyway), I have the 360 version. Only played for about 20-30 minutes, but it seems like it has potential.

I've heard that also. I haven't been able to confirm this myself. I don't think it's a deal-breaker.

brynstar on
  • Options
    edited May 2009

I've heard that also. I haven't been able to confirm this myself. I don't think it's a deal-breaker.

It's a big deal for me because I'll be playing with my wife ... however I dont have 5 gigs free on my 360, so PS3 version it is.

One thing the PS3 version has over the 360 from what I understand the PS3 version diplays in 1080p

Bamelin on
  • Options
    ParadisoParadiso Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I'm sorely tempted to pursue this on the 360, but I have concerns about how well you can adapt a Diablo control scheme to a console. Any commentary on that? A review I found did not allay my fears.

Paradiso on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I picked up the PS3 version tonight. Looking forward to getting lost in a big world and just spending hours exploring.

Bamelin on
  • Options
    edited May 2009

It's a big deal for me because I'll be playing with my wife ... however I dont have 5 gigs free on my 360, so PS3 version it is.

One thing the PS3 version has over the 360 from what I understand the PS3 version diplays in 1080p

Aye, it does support 1080p on PS3.

Paradiso, I talked a little about the controls in an earlier post. It works more or less like the Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance games, but with more shortcuts for magic/special abilities. You can actually quickly access powers more effectively than in the PC version. The left stick controls movement, the right stick controls the camera, abilities and attacks are mapped to the face buttons. The rear triggers can be used to shift to different sets of mappings for the face buttons. The other trigger buttons are your interact/pick up loot button, and a button to open a radial menu that allows access to the inventory, character sheet, quest log, etc.

It's also a "hold the button down to attack" game, so no button mashing is required unless you feel like it. It works quite well.

brynstar on
  • Options
    spamfilterspamfilter Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Paradiso wrote: »
    I'm sorely tempted to pursue this on the 360, but I have concerns about how well you can adapt a Diablo control scheme to a console. Any commentary on that? A review I found did not allay my fears.

I got the game yesterday and has already put 16 hours into it, very addictive game and if you like Diablo you'll like this one.

It's not perfect, but it's a lot of fun. You'll want to keep playing "just a little bit more" and not want to put it down.

spamfilter on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    spamfilter wrote: »
    Paradiso wrote: »

I got the game yesterday and has already put 16 hours into it, very addictive game and if you like Diablo you'll like this one.

It's not perfect, but it's a lot of fun. You'll want to keep playing "just a little bit more" and not want to put it down.

360 or PS3?

For anyone wanting to do 360 co-op, my gamertag is 'Yall'.

Yall on
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2009
    Does the 360 version of this have local co op?

How does this compare to Too Human?

Sheep on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Do you think we could potentially get a list of players going, for 360 and PS3?

Dashui on
  • Options
    edited May 2009

I think that's a capital idea. Any chance the OP could edit the fist post to get a list, or could we get a new thread started by someone? I'm unsure of the protocol.

Yall on
  • Options
    edited May 2009

I think that's a capital idea. Any chance the OP could edit the fist post to get a list, or could we get a new thread started by someone? I'm unsure of the protocol.

A Game On thread wouldn't be a bad idea. I'm still debating if I want to buy Battlestations Pacific or Sacred 2, although I could potentially buy both.

Dashui on
  • Options
    PotatoNinjaPotatoNinja Fake Gamer Goat Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Could someone post some impressions of console co-op? How hard is the game? How dynamic? How long? I'm a huge fan of cooperative hackers, especially games you can play together on the couch (hooooray PSO for the Gamecube). Most reviews so far have been "game is good but buggy," more information than that, particularly wrt how co-op plays on a console, would be appreciated.

PotatoNinja on
    Two goats enter, one car leaves
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Could someone post some impressions of console co-op? How hard is the game? How dynamic? How long? I'm a huge fan of cooperative hackers, especially games you can play together on the couch (hooooray PSO for the Gamecube). Most reviews so far have been "game is good but buggy," more information than that, particularly wrt how co-op plays on a console, would be appreciated.

I don't know about dynamic, but the game is as long as you want it to be. The game world is completely open to you. It's huge. You can go anywhere, do whatever you want, go take on the gigantic bosses hidden around the world with friends, or perhaps try one of the hundreds of side-quests. There are actually a few type of co-op modes, too. You can go through the campaign in co-op, or do a free play which has everything but the campaign. There are also five difficulty modes, and to unlock them you have to be at a certain level.

Since the game world is so huge, and players online can go however far they want from each other, there's a nice feature I really like that Sacred 1 and 2 do. You can instantly teleport to any party member by clicking on their portrait, although I don't know how that works button-wise on the console version. So if you die and respawn at a portal far, far from where you were, you can just teleport to your buddy who is still alive.

I'd really like to see a list of PA players, though, so I can count how many are playing on the 360 versus the PS3. That would probably influence my decision, but like I said, I'm leaning toward the PS3 version for 1080p and free online play.

Dashui on
  • Options
    TekkoTekko Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

Looks like the developers are aware of this issue and are planning on patching it in to the PS3 version.

Here is a link to their forum with the developer post (post #19): http://forum.sacredeng.ascaron-net.com/showthread.php?t=59894&page=2

Tekko on
    XBL:Tekko88 - PSN:Tekko88
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2009
    360 version isn't 1080? Lame.

Gonna buy it though. Maybe even tonight.

Sheep on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Dashui covered the scale pretty well in his last post, but I'll just say...Sacred 2 has 600 quests. If that's not enough game for you, you should either look into an MMO or abandon all hope. :)

brynstar on
  • Options
    PotatoNinjaPotatoNinja Fake Gamer Goat Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    More questions, if you will be kind enough to answer them:

Does 2 players on one box work out pretty well? Can you do more than 2 players? Does the same drop-in, drop-out multiplay work on one system?

How's the combat on the console version? I have heard that the console version allows for more buttons and, hence, a more robust system. How does this game compare to, say, the Dark Alliance games or ye olde Diablo 2?

PotatoNinja on
    Two goats enter, one car leaves
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    More questions, if you will be kind enough to answer them:

Does 2 players on one box work out pretty well? Can you do more than 2 players? Does the same drop-in, drop-out multiplay work on one system?

How's the combat on the console version? I have heard that the console version allows for more buttons and, hence, a more robust system. How does this game compare to, say, the Dark Alliance games or ye olde Diablo 2?

I haven't tried the same-system co-op yet, but it's two players only. The system allows you to have access to 12 combat arts at once, which is quite a few more than the PC version allowed. It also allows for access to up to three types of potions. It's all laid out very well, and I'd say it's quite the improvement over the Dark Alliance games, which I also loved. If you loved those, you shouldn't even have to think twice about this one. This is like those, but much much much bigger.

brynstar on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Tekko wrote: »

Looks like the developers are aware of this issue and are planning on patching it in to the PS3 version.

Here is a link to their forum with the developer post (post #19): http://forum.sacredeng.ascaron-net.com/showthread.php?t=59894&page=2

Yeah I heard about that. Very good news and made me feel alot better about getting the PS3 version. I even bought another controller so my wife can play with me.

Bamelin on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Well, now I've done it. The PS3 version got me so pumped to be playing this again that I bought it on 360 as well. I know that Ascaron is hurting right now and I want to show them some love for making a decent console port of such a massive game.

I regret nothing.

I'm playing as the Temple Guardian for the first time, and wow, it's kind of tough. But also awesome.

brynstar on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Well, now I've done it. The PS3 version got me so pumped to be playing this again that I bought it on 360 as well. I know that Ascaron is hurting right now and I want to show them some love for making a decent console port of such a massive game.

I regret nothing.

I'm playing as the Temple Guardian for the first time, and wow, it's kind of tough. But also awesome.

Well if you have it for the 360 now, maybe I should pick it up for that system instead. I had said a few times I was leaning toward the PS3 for various reasons, but with the majority of us here now having it on the Xbox or planning to get it on the Xbox, I might as well do the same, huh? I guess I better get a bloody Live time card now!

brynstar, I'd really appreciate it if you'd write a short comparison between the two, graphics wise and performance wise. :)

Dashui on
  • Options
    edited May 2009

I regret nothing.

Well if you have it for the 360 now, maybe I should pick it up for that system instead. I had said a few times I was leaning toward the PS3 for various reasons, but with the majority of us here now having it on the Xbox or planning to get it on the Xbox, I might as well do the same, huh? I guess I better get a bloody Live time card now!

brynstar, I'd really appreciate it if you'd write a short comparison between the two, graphics wise and performance wise. :)

I have the PS3 version! Don't leave me aloneeeee

I've done abit of hunting on different forums and from what I understand the PS3 version edges out the 360 very slightly in the graphical department thanks to 1080p res (although this comes with more screen tearing and framerate hicups -- nothing major mind you but there). PS3 version also offers custom soundtrack option ...

I think that between the two versions really it should come down to your friends list. Personally for me I took the PS3 version based on the slight graphical advantage, free online play, and also because I'm on my fifth 360.

Bamelin on
  • Options
    edited May 2009

I regret nothing.

I've done abit of hunting on different forums and from what I understand the PS3 version edges out the 360 very slightly in the graphical department thanks to 1080p res (although this comes with more screen tearing and framerate hicups -- nothing major mind you but there). PS3 version also offers custom soundtrack option ...

I think that between the two versions really it should come down to your friends list. Personally for me I took the PS3 version based on the slight graphical advantage, free online play, and also because I'm on my fifth 360.

The free online and 1080p are quite tempting, but there are more people on the Xbox 360 version. I guess it could just be largely you and me playing online. More would be great, though. I need to make my choice by Saturday. Argh, decisions!

Dashui on
  • Options
    VoroVoro Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Yet another 360 user! Gotten my Seraphim to 21 and I'm loving it. I don't have much to say about the difference between versions right now except:
    • Fuck starting with 1 equip slot and 1 combat art slot in the pc version
    • Fuck point & click
    • Fuck patches that don't include required updates and will crash on load until you figure out the problem (latest PC patch needed a new phys X driver, yet threw a video card driver error on startup (bonus point: for an ATi card))

Voro on
    XBL GamerTag: Comrade Nexus
  • Options
    edited May 2009

I regret nothing.

The free online and 1080p are quite tempting, but there are more people on the Xbox 360 version. I guess it could just be largely you and me playing online. More would be great, though. I need to make my choice by Saturday. Argh, decisions!

It's cool. I'll probaly be playing local with my wife .... was looking forward to when they patch in local co-op with online play for the PS3.

For me there really was no choice. Having had 5 Xbox360's break on me I refuse to purchase and play any multiplatform titles for the system aside from review copies. The other issue was HDD space. My 360 has a 20 gig drive (which is almost full), my PS3 on the other hand has a 250 gig drive. I think the mandatory install is 5 gigs or something ...

Bamelin on
  • Options
    edited May 2009

I regret nothing.

Well, I've put a couple hours in on the 360, and I have to say...they're really really close graphics and performance wise. Like, close enough that I couldn't tell any difference. The gamma seems a little darker on the 360 version, but that can be adjusted, and the framerate seems comparable, dropping on both systems when things get a little heated.

Loading and streaming also seem to be about the same. I have the game installed on the 360, but the game also requires a 5 gig install on the PS3. If I had to give the crown to someone, the 360 version probably loads a tiny bit faster, but as most of the game streams, this is really only applicable to the start of your session.

Honestly, I'm really happy with the work done here, and that's part of the reason I decided to pick up both. It's great to have a lengthy hack and slash game on the consoles again. Sacred 2 was one of those PC games that I never finished in the shuffle of holiday madness last year, and it's been great playing it again. I don't think you could go wrong with either console version, as they're darn close to each other.

brynstar on
  • Options
    edited May 2009

I regret nothing.

Well, I've put a couple hours in on the 360, and I have to say...they're really really close graphics and performance wise. Like, close enough that I couldn't tell any difference. The gamma seems a little darker on the 360 version, but that can be adjusted, and the framerate seems comparable, dropping on both systems when things get a little heated.

Loading and streaming also seem to be about the same. I have the game installed on the 360, but the game also requires a 5 gig install on the PS3. If I had to give the crown to someone, the 360 version probably loads a tiny bit faster, but as most of the game streams, this is really only applicable to the start of your session.

Honestly, I'm really happy with the work done here, and that's part of the reason I decided to pick up both. It's great to have a lengthy hack and slash game on the consoles again. Sacred 2 was one of those PC games that I never finished in the shuffle of holiday madness last year, and it's been great playing it again. I don't think you could go wrong with either console version, as they're darn close to each other.

Xbox 360 it is then! I'll be able to pick this up Sunday instead of Saturday. Hopefully the store will also have some Live Gold cards, too. I also hope you guys don't get too far ahead of me in level! :P

Dashui on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Cool, hope you like it Dashui! It's definitely unlike anything else on the current consoles...well I guess there was Untold Legends...

brynstar on
  • Options
    Venkman90Venkman90 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    So is the 360 multi region then? I could import this from the US? Any good sites for US - UK games with swift delivery?

Venkman90 on
  • Options
    NitsuaNitsua Gloucester, VARegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I'm playing the 360 version with no trouble without any install. It isn't good to keep mentioning a 5 GB install on the system as if it was required.

More on topic - I'm totally loving this game! Ever since I first played Diablo on the PSOne I've wanted another game in the same vein on the consoles. For some reason I could never really get into the point and click style of play after using a controller. This game proves it can be done again and well.

Nitsua on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Nitsua wrote: »
    I'm playing the 360 version with no trouble without any install. It isn't good to keep mentioning a 5 GB install on the system as if it was required.

More on topic - I'm totally loving this game! Ever since I first played Diablo on the PSOne I've wanted another game in the same vein on the consoles. For some reason I could never really get into the point and click style of play after using a controller. This game proves it can be done again and well.

I mentioned the 5 Gig install only because it is required on the PS3, and people wanted comparisons, so it's an important point. Glad to hear it runs decently without being installed on the 360.

If you're looking for more console hack and slash action, check out the Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance games if you can, and maybe the Champions of Norrath games. Also, since you're on 360, Fable II is great, though not quite the same.

brynstar on
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I guarantee the 1080p thing is bullshit. There are very, very few games that render natively at 1080p, regardless of what the box says. I'd be amazed if the PS3 and 360 versions weren't running at exactly the same resolution internally, and are just scaled to whatever you've set your system at, since that's what most games do.

Vincent Grayson on