As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Weird Smell, no clue of the source

BucketmanBucketman Call meSkraggRegistered User regular
edited October 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
So...this is weird and I hate talking about it, but here goes.

Wherever I live a weird smell follows me. Like when I was growing up we always figured there was some dead animal in the vents we couldn't find or something. But when I moved out of the house the smell left, and my Dorm Room started to smell. Then when I moved into a house, my room there smelt and now that I'm back at home, so is the smell.

I'm not a dirty person, I shower every day, I vacume my floor once a week, I do my laundry weekly, I change my sheet every month, but for some reason this stench follows in my wake...and I can't pinpoint why. Any ideas/suggestions.

Bucketman on

• Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Has this always been the case (ask your parents)? Maybe it is connected to puberty.
    It might be something in your diet.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    YourFatAuntSusanYourFatAuntSusan Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Bucketman wrote: »
    I change my sheet every month

Oh good god man!

Sheets should be changed weekly!! You're literally laying in the same place for 248 hours every month. At night you sweat, drool, dream :winky:, shed skin, fart and fap in the same place over and over.

I'd recommend this as your first change. Also, if you've had the same sheets for a few years, i'd recommend picking up a couple sets of new, good quality sheets.

YourFatAuntSusan on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2008
    I use to change my sheets one a month and recently switched to once every two weeks, no real difference but I still do it. I also shower right before I go to bed.

Fizban140 on
  • Options
    stawkstawk Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    is it a musky smell?

stawk on

stawk.jpg
  • Options
    RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I change my sheet every month

Oh good god man!

Sheets should be changed weekly!! You're literally laying in the same place for 248 hours every month. At night you sweat, drool, dream :winky:, shed skin, fart and fap in the same place over and over.

I'd recommend this as your first change. Also, if you've had the same sheets for a few years, i'd recommend picking up a couple sets of new, good quality sheets.

Yeah, keeping sheets for a month is pretty nasty. Not saying I didn't do it when I was single and lived by myself, but it's still nasty.

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    stawk wrote: »
    is it a musky smell?

Yes Musty is EXACTLY the way it was described to me (I only really smell it after a day or two of being away from home then I get use to it again after a few hours)

Bucketman on
  • Options
    Battle JesusBattle Jesus Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Check your mattress/boxspring. I had some moisture get into my box spring, and the box spring didn't dry fast enough, so the boxspring (and matress) developed a musty smell. See if that's the case with you as well.

Battle Jesus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    kitchkitch Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Usually, it's the sheets.

kitch on
  • Options
    UnderdogUnderdog Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Yeah man. I change my sheets weekly. Can't stand not to.

Underdog on
  • Options
    Seattle ThreadSeattle Thread Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Do you put your clothes directly into the dryer as soon as the wash cycle is finished? Because if you leave 'em in the washer for a period of time they get mildewy.

Seattle Thread on
    kofz2amsvqm3.png
  • Options
    SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2008
    Do other people smell it or just you? And does it only occur in your living area or simply everywhere you go and only where you are at any time?

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    The Crowing OneThe Crowing One Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Are there any things you've had since you were a kid? Like your mattress?

The Crowing One on
    3rddocbottom.jpg
  • Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2008
    is it a musky smell?

Yes Musty is EXACTLY the way it was described to me (I only really smell it after a day or two of being away from home then I get use to it again after a few hours)

My flatmate's room is like that. Some people just have an odour. Well actually we all do, its just a modern preoccupation to disguise it as far as possible, and some people have an easier time of that than others. Don't stress.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    rfaliasrfalias Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Any time there is an odd smell in my place, it almost always comes from a forgotten bag of potatoes sitting in the back of the pantry.

Them damn things can cause a shit storm of smell in like one day.

rfalias on
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Do other people smell it or just you? And does it only occur in your living area or simply everywhere you go and only where you are at any time?

Yeah its just were I'm living, I mean my Car smells but thats just because when I eat fast food I throw the junk in the back, and I clean it out weekly and it smells nice again. My room though, yeah this time my dad pointed it out to me, I figured when I lived on my own it was just because I lived in a basement and there was a flood, the other 2 guys had a shit ton of smelly stuff going all the time because they smoked pot but not me.

Though when I think back my dorm room smelt like that on my half.

For now I just got one of those Oil Simmers with the scented oil for when I'm home, and an airfreshner for when I'm not (I can't stand how those things smell, but they get results)

Bucketman on
  • Options
    saint2esaint2e Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    The Cat wrote: »
    is it a musky smell?

My flatmate's room is like that. Some people just have an odour. Well actually we all do, its just a modern preoccupation to disguise it as far as possible, and some people have an easier time of that than others. Don't stress.

Agreed. Some people just have a scent/odour like that. Couple friends from school had a unique scent.

saint2e on
    banner_160x60_01.gif
  • Options
    DHS OdiumDHS Odium Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    It might be your skin. I saw some special on TV once with odd health conditions, and these two women had very distinct, very unpleasant odors they omitted. It became a burden on their life, and one of them started a special diet to help. It was just the oils from their skin and stuff, some disease or something, they showered all the time and it didn't really help. The diet thing was the only way to control it.

Maybe you have a lesser form of that? Do people completely outside of your living areas notice it? Maybe it's mild, but if you're living somewhere it will build up and become very noticeable? Try changing the sheets more often?

DHS Odium on
    Wii U: DHS-Odium // Live: DHS Odium // PSN: DHSOdium // Steam: dhsykes // 3DS: 0318-6615-5294
  • Options
    LewieP's MummyLewieP's Mummy Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    A boyfriend I had was italian and ate loads and loads and loads of garlic, so much he would sweat garlic smelling sweat. It was weird.

LewieP's Mummy on
    For all the top UK Gaming Bargains, check out SavyGamer

For paintings in progress, check out canvas and paints

"The power of the weirdness compels me."
  • Options
    RipsawRipsaw Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Diet definitely has potential to change your scent.
    I spent a few months smelling like a peppermint plant due to an Altoids addiction.

Ripsaw on
  • Options
    GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    It's your upper lip

GungHo on
This discussion has been closed.