Options

So, what will be YOUR game of the year by the looks of things?

• Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I thought GTAIV would be an awesome experience, but I ended up hating it. The flaws and insanely cheap difficulty completely (and I do mean completely) ruined the single-player experience for me.

I'd say that LittleBigPlanet is my GOTY, but I haven't played it yet. I'm pretty confident it'll be it as soon as I start playing. For the moment, I'd have to give the award to The World Ends With You. Never before have I seen a JRPG deliver a good story, and deliver it so brilliantly. The feeling of death, of danger, that you're in a shitty situation and are trying to do whatever you can about it is present the whole time and I loved it. I always wanted to rush to the next day, but not because the gameplay sucked (it ruled), but because I needed to see what was going to happen.

Djiem on
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    At his point, keeping in mind that the pre-christmas release rush is still looming, it has to be Bionic Commando Rearmed. That game is brilliant, and has easily the best soundtrack of any game I've played in years. I guess it might be a cop out to have a remake of a NES game to be goty, but fuck it, it's still awesome.

I would have gladly payed full retail price for this game.
    Also it has 3 of the best trailers of the year. Slightly edged out by the HOTD grindhouse wii trailer, which will no doubt be better than the actual game.

In japanese flavour
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LsHSkmJ4Nk

Western flavour
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6-hqzneyuU

And awesome audio only 80's action film trailer flavour
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=putstjkfvdc

-SPI- on
  • Options
    chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Wasn't TWEWY the one that was supposed to be a hardcore JRPG that sold better here than in Japan?

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • Options
    HalibutHalibut Passion Fish Swimming in obscurity.Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I haven't played a ton of games this year, but the few I've played have been pretty freaking awesome. PixelJunk Eden, GTA4, Burnout (yeah, I know, released last year, but a ton of content has come out this year), MGS4. If I had to choose right now, I'd have to say MGS4.

However, I am anxiously awaiting Little Big Planet, and I think that I'll probably play Rock Band 2 for as long as I've been playing Rock Band (all the damn time). That coupled with all the other games coming out this Winter, I think there is an excellent possibility that my answer will change in 3 months.

Halibut on
  • Options
    APZonerunnerAPZonerunner Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Already Out Potentials:
    Civilization Revolution
    FF4 DS
    Geometry Wars 2
    Crysis Warhead

Upcoming Potential:
    Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3
    Fable 2
    Banjo Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts
    Little Big Planet

APZonerunner on
    APZonerunner | RPG Site | UFFSite | The Gaming Vault
    XBL/PSN/Steam: APZonerunner
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Captain K wrote: »
    C'mon Renzo, you're supposed to be froting at the mouth for MGS4 to be GOTY on everybody's list!

If you don't do it, who will?!

I fucking loved MGS4, don't get me wrong. Like, time is now split at a new juncture, resulting in Before Kojima and Anno Kojima. But I wouldn't recommend it to people who haven't played the first 3 (or 4, can't forget about Portable Ops) MGS games.

I also wouldn't recommend it to people who have shitty opinions.

Renzo on
  • Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Captain K wrote: »
    Looking back on what I've played this year that actually released this year, I think I probably put more hours into TWEWY than any other game, by at least a factor of two.

I don't know if that makes it my GOTY, but I sure loved the hell out of every minute I spent playing it.

If that makes GOTY, then WoW is the Game of Forever.

And that can't be.

Chance on
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    MarioGMarioG Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    MGS4 was fucking amazing, and it is nearly tied completely with my opinion as GTA for GOTY but i still go with GTAIV.

MarioG on
    Kay wrote:
    Mario, if Slenderman had a face, I would punch him in it.

Hey, I have a blog! (Actually being updated again!)

3DS: 0860-3240-2604
  • Options
    GuekGuek Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    so TWEWY was that good, eh?

i guess my roommate's DS will have to "missing" again for awhile...

Guek on
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Persona 4 hasn't come out yet, but I'm pretty sure that'll take the gold for me, if it takes up half as much of my time as P3/FES did(does that count for '08?).

Yeah, Persona 4 is probably my most anticipated game for this year at the moment (RE5 is my most anticipated game period, but that's not coming out 'til early next year).

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    MasoniteMasonite Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    To be honest, I haven't bought any modern games this year. I have an aging computer, I just recently picked up a 360, and the combination of steam + GOG.com makes it so very, very easy to go for the years old games that cost half as much, are guaranteed to work well on my computer, and have way more reviews and mod content than anything current.

This goes without saying. I don't own a 360, I don't own a PS3, I don't own a Wii. The only consoles I own that are currently being developed for are the DS (which I don't play that much of, tbh) and the PS2. I don't find much stock in RTS/TBS games and I'm only interested in shooters if they present an interesting concept or are lauded for their story/atmosphere. That eliminates quite a few options.

Anyway, I checked and the only game I've bought that was released this past year is Shiren the Wanderer. And as of right now there are only 2 games I'm looking forward to, and I doubt Diablo 3 will be hitting shelves any time soon.

Masonite on
  • Options
    DangerousDangerous Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Barring some incredibly huge unseen flaw upon release, I'm pretty sure Dead Space is going to be my GOTY. It's one of the only games I've kept up with every step of the way. All the gameplay videos and interviews, concept art and previews. I'm sure I spoiled some of the scares but it looks so shit hot that I don't even care.

Dangerous on
    sig2-2.jpg
  • Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I've put tons and tons of hours into GTA IV and I absolutely love it. It's so beautiful and polished in every way, the dialogue and characters are great, and it's a fun game to just mess around in. It's the one game this year I haven't put away after the first month or two.

I will admit that I'm really tired of New York as a setting, though. (In videogames and anything else.) However, I still respect the craftsmanship in making Liberty city.

Also, you don't have to do the stupid social stuff and minigames except maybe that date with Michelle early on.

Still, GTA IV may yet be surpassed by Fallout 3 or Dead Space for my GOTY.

Edit: Woah, I just took inventory of my Wii games I bought this year...Brawl and Okami...and I sold Brawl. Wii's next year better be fucking amazing or I'm selling that little white box.

Darlan on
  • Options
    GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Since all I own is a Wii and I haven't bought a game since Smash Bros, I'm gonna have to go with either that or MGS4, which I played through over the summer to cap off my MGS marathon / see-what-the-fuss-is-about playthrough.

If I had a 360 I'd offer a more valid opinion. :P

GreasyKidsStuff on
  • Options
    ZahaladeenZahaladeen Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Fallout 3: After playing it at PAX and getting to interview Pete Hines for my paper... I am so ready to play this game until I lose fine motor skills. Having yet to really give it a butchers look though keeps me from really giving it my nod, however.

If only STALKER: Clear Sky wasn't so buggy. Maybe when they clean it up. Maybe.

Warhammer Online: Having a blast with this, but not sure an MMO can count in this discussion, so...

Call of Duty: World at War: Looking good, but once again haven't seen enough.

This year has been pretty good to gamers and there is still a lot to play. Dead Space could re-invigorate survival horror. Who knows what will have me coming back for more by New Years Day.

Zahaladeen on
  • Options
    darklite_xdarklite_x I'm not an r-tard... Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I don't think I've played any of the games that came out this year. Er, I may have played them at a store or a friend's house, but nothing this year interested me enough to warrant a purchase. That said, I do intend to buy GoW2 and L4D. I'm guessing Left 4 Dead will be my GotY.

darklite_x on
    Steam ID: darklite_x Xbox Gamertag: Darklite 37 PSN:Rage_Kage_37 Battle.Net:darklite#2197
  • Options
    DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Guek wrote: »
    so TWEWY was that good, eh?

i guess my roommate's DS will have to "missing" again for awhile...

I have never enjoyed a Square-Enix game in my life. I couldn't even bring myself to finish Chrono Trigger (and I tried multiple times). I'm completely addicted to TWEWY.

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • Options
    KorlashKorlash Québécois TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I've bought only two games this year: Civ 4 (which didn't come out this year) and Sins of a Solar Empire. I may buy Fable 2. So I guess I'll go with Sins. I thought it was very good, though I haven't played it in a while, but I have a backlog of things to play.

I don't see what's so good about 2008. To be honest, I thought it was a year of disappointments. Hyped-up games turned out to be not as good as expected.

Now 2007 brought us Halo 3, Call of duty 4, Bioshock, The Orange Box, Mass effect, Assassin's Creed... All games that I bought and played and replayed.

2008? Too Human was meh, GTA 4 was overhyped, Spore is meh, MSG4 is more of an interactive story than a game and I don't even remember if anything of significance came in the first half of 2008 aside from Sins of a Solar Empire, which last I heard, was the best-selling PC game of 2008. Let's just hope Fable 2 turns out good.

So I think 2007 was a much better year.

Hopefully, Starcraft 2 alone will make 2009 the best year in recent memory.

Korlash on
    396796-1.png
  • Options
    MarthMarth Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Korlash wrote: »
    I've bought only two games this year: Civ 4 (which didn't come out this year) and Sins of a Solar Empire. I may buy Fable 2. So I guess I'll go with Sins. I thought it was very good, though I haven't played it in a while, but I have a backlog of things to play.

I don't see what's so good about 2008. To be honest, I thought it was a year of disappointments. Hyped-up games turned out to be not as good as expected.

Now 2007 brought us Halo 3, Call of duty 4, Bioshock, The Orange Box, Mass effect, Assassin's Creed... All games that I bought and played and replayed.

2008? Too Human was meh, GTA 4 was overhyped, Spore is meh, MSG4 is more of an interactive story than a game and I don't even remember if anything of significance came in the first half of 2008 aside from Sins of a Solar Empire, which last I heard, was the best-selling PC game of 2008. Let's just hope Fable 2 turns out good.

But... we've still got 3 months left in the year. And a lot of the great 07 games you listed came out in the last 3 months of that year. Don't write off this year just yet.

Marth on
    Steam PSN LoL: SadSchaub Battle.net: SadSchaub#1357
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Korlash wrote: »

You're comparing all holiday 2007 releases with spring/summer 2008 releases. The most saturated part of one year measured against the driest part of another year will look sparse, of course.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    Radikal_DreamerRadikal_Dreamer Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I'm pretty sure MGS4 will be my GOTY. It's one of the best games I've played in a long time. Close 2nd will probably be either Persona 4 or LittleBigPlanet. LBP may be close to GOTY, as I know if it hits it'll really hit it out of the park.

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • Options
    DistramDistram __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2008
    I'll say it.

Fallout 3

And I haven't even played it yet...

Distram on
  • Options
    gunwarriorgunwarrior Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    MGS4, thats probably gonna be my GOTY by a mile, Unless Fallout 3 or Mirror's edge are phenomenal. Brawl will probably towards the bottom of my list.
    The list so far:
    1. MGS4
    2. Metal Gear Online (yes I count it as a seperate game)
    3. Braid
    4. Soulcalibur 4
    I have to see what Fable 2, Fallout 3, Mirror's edge. and WOW:WOTLK become (Death Knights! Death Knights!)

Edit: o dear god how could I forget about Left4Dead

gunwarrior on
  • Options
    LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I'm more excited about Persona 4 than anything else. That said, I am going to sink a ton of time in to Fallout 3 and Mirror's Edge.

LoveIsUnity on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    troublebrewingtroublebrewing Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I can't believe people in this thread are saying gta iv is "polished" no offense, I run into control problems all the time, and the save system sucks, maybe I'm a noob this was the first GTA game I've played but to me the game is frustrating as hell

games I've played most are RB and RB2, Halo 3, Pokemon I guess that is older than this year and Mario Kart, can't really pick one out of those

troublebrewing on
  • Options
    elevatureelevature Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    It's definitely too early to call GOTY, what with Fable 2, Fallout 3, Persona 4 and Left4Dead (for which my frothing demand knows no bounds) still to come. But based on what's out so far, Shiren the Wanderer takes it for sure. I haven't loved a game that much in a long time.

elevature on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I can't believe people in this thread are saying gta iv is "polished" no offense, I run into control problems all the time, and the save system sucks, maybe I'm a noob this was the first GTA game I've played but to me the game is frustrating as hell

Those are your problems. The game is incredibly polished. It controls perfectly fine, and the save system is...wait, what? It has save points. And Autosave. Why does that suck?

Also, my pick is Mirror's Edge. Yes, it's not out yet. No, I don't care. I know those things. I've correctly predicted my game of the year pretty much every year before it's released. The only time I've been hyped for a game in the past couple years and been let down were MGS4 and Mercs 2.

EDIT: But if I had to pick so far, I would say GTAIV. I'm reluctant to say Rock Band 2 as it's really more of an expansion to my GOTY 2007.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    The World Ends with You as a very surprising handheld game that sucks me in. Ignoring JRPG clichés for a moment, its quite enjoyable and the rampent collecting and mastery makes me giddy as a schoolboy.

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    troublebrewingtroublebrewing Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

Those are your problems. The game is incredibly polished. It controls perfectly fine, and the save system is...wait, what? It has save points. And Autosave. Why does that suck?

Also, my pick is Mirror's Edge. Yes, it's not out yet. No, I don't care. I know those things. I've correctly predicted my game of the year pretty much every year before it's released. The only time I've been hyped for a game in the past couple years and been let down were MGS4 and Mercs 2.

EDIT: But if I had to pick so far, I would say GTAIV. I'm reluctant to say Rock Band 2 as it's really more of an expansion to my GOTY 2007.

meh, trying to jump or climb things I have problems all the time.. save system problems to me are after failing a mission you have to drive all the fucking way across the city to get the mission again before you can even start it, and then doing the mission again. Maybe I just fail but that discourages me to the point where I will just play something else, especially after multiple fails. Other people have agreed with me abouot this so I'm not alone.

troublebrewing on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Actually, when you fail a mission, you press up on the D-pad, and A twice.

That's it.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    DaemonionDaemonion Mountain Man USARegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Already out potentials:

None, really. Clear Sky was way to buggy and, although I love it, it did not deliver in the ways the developers led me to believe it would. It's just a bigger Shadow of Chernobyl.

Not yet out:

Red Alert 3
    Far Cry 2

Far Cry 2 just screams my name. If I could have a Crysis mixed with Oblivion, I'd be in heaven. FC2 looks to be a sensational, true open-world FPS.

I loved Crysis and Crysis Warhead, and I loved being able to play in any way I wanted, but you still follow a linear story through the island. FC2 is a true open-world combined with the hunting and stalking and strict first-person immersion ...oh god.

Daemonion on
  • Options
    edited September 2008

That's it.

And then ride all the way to certain places to actually start the mission still.
    And I'll agree that the controls are downright horrible, on foot and in cars.
    It sucks too, because the game would be fantastic if the mechanics weren't so horrible that they drove me to stop playing the game entirely.

I guess I need some cheats or a super pro-like guy to play the rest of the game in front of me so I can watch the rest of the story.

Djiem on
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Too much potentially good stuff still to come out to answer the OP.

slash000 on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Djiem wrote: »

That's it.

And then ride all the way to certain places to actually start the mission still.

The system they had was perfect. What do you expect, them to just place you in front of the bad guys? Why stop there? Why not just put save states in while you're at it?

It's a sandbox game, it's part of the nature that you might have to cover a little bit of the map.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Djiem wrote: »

That's it.

The system they had was perfect.

I disagree so much. Sometimes they had you drive a long way for no reason. There's no challenge, timer, fight or anything at this point yet, you just need to drive a billion miles away where the action finally begins. That's not perfect to me.

Djiem on
  • Options
    Dareth RamDareth Ram regular
    edited September 2008
    mostly I went through my backlog of games this year. Smash and Soul Calibur 4 were the only new games I spent significant amount of time with that I'd qualify for the shrine of GOTY..

Dareth Ram on
  • Options
    Dareth RamDareth Ram regular
    edited September 2008
    oh, and MGS4.

Yeah, MGS4 or Smash. One of those two.

Dareth Ram on
  • Options
    Dr.FunkensteinDr.Funkenstein Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Uh the driving in GTA IV is fantastic

Dr.Funkenstein on
    TERRORSQUADSIG.gif
  • Options
    BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I love GTA4, but don't really consider it GOTY material. It's an amazing foundation, and I still play it all the time, but it's definitely not even close to perfect. It needs more variety, but the engine and the controls were absolutely wonderful. The cop AI could also use a little help, especially making them more aggressive. More weapons would be nice, like the flamethrower or minigun or SAM from the GTA3 series.

MGS4 is definitely not GOTY material. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the hell out of it, but the incredibly fun gameplay was hurt by the story, and the story was hurt by the ceaseless interruption of the gameplay. If the whole game were like acts 1 and 2, it would be my GOTY, but they just decided to abandon that whole style of gameplay for the sake of the story. The story is great, but some of the speeches (particularly one at the end) drag on too...looooong.

I'm looking forward to Dead Space and Fallout 3 as potential GOTYs. Dead Space looks like not just a scary experience, but a genuinely fun game, and Fallout 3 because it's Fallout 3 and it looks absolutely incredible.

If they both turn out to be flops, ehhhh... TWEWY.

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    MJMJ Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Since GTA took like all of my summer and I played it twice all the way through. That's a first for this type of game. I'd have to say it's my game of the year so far. I started another run during the hurricane ike fiasco but I haven't played since. The multiplayer, I don't think will ever get old. :lol:

Mirror's edge looks promising, and I have a sig and a desktop wallpaper up and everything. I have that eerie feeling it disappoint me and fall short. The news and trailers have only gotten better, so let's see.

I was ready to proclaim pixeljunk eden as my goty but I got to garden 6+ and it the game went from relaxing to frustrating. :x

Smash brothers is another contender but it feels like a 2001 remake for some reason.

MJ on
    mino_mirror_punch2_sig.gif