Options

So, what will be YOUR game of the year by the looks of things?

• Options
    K7 AvengerK7 Avenger __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2008
    I'm playing Disgaea for my DS right now. My friend tells me the highest boss is a level 9000 something Prinny.

None of you can complain about grinding till you've played this game :P And I usually hate grinding, but there's something about this game that draws me in.

P.S: TWEWY fucking rocks.

K7 Avenger on
    Irish+Assasin+J.png
  • Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Warhammer Online is the first great MMO released in 4 years, definitely game of the year for me. Empire Total War will probably be the next huge game for me, but I believe its coming in 2009.

But yeah, a game based on Warhammer thats good, has lots of pvp action going on, and is pretty close to the source material kicks ass.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Cynical Old Man Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I love grinding. It appeals to my meticulous nature for some reason and I can sit around and do nothing but walk in circles for hours and hours.

Goes well with your avatar too. :)

urahonky on
  • Options
    JurgJurg In a TeacupRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I hate grinding in RPGs too. Developers should strive for a difficulty curve in which you can complete the game grind-free if you make intelligent use of all your abilities.

If I have to run around in circles just to get by? Guess what? The heroes lose.

The World Ends With You is good about this. There are no random battles or anything; most fighting is completely optional. (Outside of boss fights, and doors that must be opened by defeating enemies.) That, coupled with the fact that the fighting is very fun, definitely help.

Strangely enough, the story mode of Disgaea 2 can be completed with very little grinding. (The endgame, of course, is all about grinding.)

Jurg on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Jurg wrote: »
    I hate grinding in RPGs too. Developers should strive for a difficulty curve in which you can complete the game grind-free if you make intelligent use of all your abilities.

If I have to run around in circles just to get by? Guess what? The heroes lose.

The World Ends With You is good about this. There are no random battles or anything; most fighting is completely optional. (Outside of boss fights, and doors that must be opened by defeating enemies.) That, coupled with the fact that the fighting is very fun, definitely help.

Strangely enough, the story mode of Disgaea 2 can be completed with very little grinding. (The endgame, of course, is all about grinding.)

Honestly I can't remember the last jrpg I played that really required you to grind at any point in the game if you didn't want to. FFIV DS was the closest from accounts, but in my experience there was no grinding required at any point.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    LegbaLegba He did. Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I guess that depends on whether or not you view random monster battles in FF games to be grinding or not. I guess they're technically not, but I know I always breathed a sigh of relief whenever I found the item that would stop them from spawning.

Legba on
  • Options
    Syd LexiaSyd Lexia Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Super Mario RPG came out on the Virtual Console this year. Can I pick that?

Syd Lexia on
  • Options
    AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Legba wrote: »
    I guess that depends on whether or not you view random monster battles in FF games to be grinding or not. I guess they're technically not, but I know I always breathed a sigh of relief whenever I found the item that would stop them from spawning.

FF 12 doesn't.

Though to be fair that's the only FF that I've played.

And it's also pretty awesome.

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Options
    ExarchExarch Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Antihippy wrote: »

FF 12 doesn't.

I suggest you play more FF's since the story of 12 was one of the weakest in any RPG I've played.

Also I'm gonna disagree that it didn't require grinding. If you didn't like the "optional" hunt system and you didn't wander around too much, you eventually hit a brick wall boss. For me it was the Green Dragon.

Exarch on
    No gods or kings, only man.
    LoL: BunyipAristocrat
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    No, as in random monster battles.

Also, I've only really started it 2 days ago, but it has an alright story so far.

I really like the battle system though. REALLY like it.

Antihippy on
  • Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

Also, I've only really started it 2 days ago, but it has an alright story so far.

Prepare for a nose dive.

Straight fucking down.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I'm 18 hours in and about to fight... what-his-name.... Vassler.

Am I falling yet?

Antihippy on
  • Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    GTA4 is really the only game I really thought was worth buying this year

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    Ramen NoodleRamen Noodle whoa, god has a picture of me! Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Rock Band 2 or GTA4.

Ramen Noodle on
  • Options
    minigunwielderminigunwielder __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2008
    TWEWY

Or the last release of Gearhead 2/Liberal Crime Squad that this year sees.

minigunwielder on
  • Options
    JurgJurg In a TeacupRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Fiaryn wrote: »

Prepare for a nose dive.

Straight fucking down.

It pretty much sets a record for the rate at which the story goes from "interesting political stuff" to "look for artifacts all the way across the map."

Oh, yeah. The worst part is that you can equip some of the artifacts, but I'm reasonably certain they all suck.

Jurg on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Yeah.

One is useful for one boss fight.

Espers are not only absolutely worthless, but actually harmful to your party.

minigunwielder on
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Quotes!
    Exarch wrote: »

FF 12 doesn't.

I suggest you play more FF's since the story of 12 was one of the weakest in any RPG I've played.

Also I'm gonna disagree that it didn't require grinding. If you didn't like the "optional" hunt system and you didn't wander around too much, you eventually hit a brick wall boss. For me it was the Green Dragon.

Prepare for a nose dive.

Straight fucking down.

If you're enjoying the game don't listen to crap like the posters above. People claiming the story takes a nosedive or "is the worst in any RPG" they've played are full of shit. The story is consistent from start to finish and it's good. It's not great, and it could be better, but there are a lot of games with far worse stories. People parroting this shit about FFXII (and whatever other FF happens to be be on the cool kids shitlist this month) gets old quick; and leads me to conclude that people have some seriously rosy glasses when it comes to other JRPG's. Even when a game does have an excellent story there'll always be some douche claiming it was the "worst ever" and keeping others from checking out said game.

Also, the Elder Wyrm in the dragon didn't require grinding, it just required a good strategy.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    edited October 2008
    A good strategy requiring that you have more than half a million gil to equip the various block bullshit status effect equipments so you can do something other than hope that your entire fucking party isn't put out of commision by a single fucking attack, that takes the place of a cutscene, triggers six times, and is uninterruptable.

minigunwielder on
  • Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Quotes!

FF 12 doesn't.

Prepare for a nose dive.

Straight fucking down.

Words

Do you also like the Twilight Saga by Stephanie Meyer's story?

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    Gorilla SaladGorilla Salad Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Fallout 3 looks like it is going to be my GOTY

Gorilla Salad on
  • Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    A good strategy requiring that you have more than half a million gil to equip the various block bullshit status effect equipments so you can do something other than hope that your entire fucking party isn't put out of commision by a single fucking attack, that takes the place of a cutscene, triggers six times, and is uninterruptable.

You know that attack has a radius of maybe 2 squares out from him yea? Oh and you can skip that fight anyway. :P

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    HalibutHalibut Passion Fish Swimming in obscurity.Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    FF12 was one of my favorites. I thought the story was excellent (didn't have a whole lot of emo save the world bullshit that a lot of other JRPGs have), and the translation is pretty much the best of any game I've ever played. The gameplay was a step in the right direction, and could be as engaging as you want it to be. I might be a little biased though because Ivalice is my favorite location in any video game.

Obviously these are my opinions, but if you're looking for an endorsement to keep playing...

I am Halibut, and I approved this message.

Halibut on
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited October 2008
    Are we griping about FF12 now? The only things I can really complain about are that they didn't use any of the old summon monsters for actual summon monsters this time (where's my Bahamut you bastards?), and Vaan's voice acting was mildly annoying and grating. Especially compared with the excellent voiceovers every other character had. Those are my gripes.

As for GOTY contenders, Smash Bros. Brawl is up there for me, and I can't really think of anything else. I would say Persona 3, except I'm pretty sure it came out before this year and I'm just terribly late to the party on that one. Team Fortress 2 is pretty fun too.

I guess I haven't been buying as many new games as I used to. Possibly because I feel averse to spending more money on consoles and PC hardware. So other than Wii and a few DS titles all I've been playing has been cheap/free stuff like Dwarf Fortress or classics on Gametap I never had the chance to play before.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Conan-sanConan-san Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    K7 Avenger wrote: »
    I'm playing Disgaea for my DS right now. My friend tells me the highest boss is a level 9000 something Prinny.

None of you can complain about grinding till you've played this game :P And I usually hate grinding, but there's something about this game that draws me in.

You know, I'm going to read it up but I don't think you can deal with the level 9k prinny the way you'd normaly deal with enemy prinnies. But christ would it be awesome if you could.

I meen that's Top Spin kicking wily's ass awesome.

and I seriously need to get back to TWEWY, I got stuck on that stupid box puzzle and left it be. I meen I got rid of asshole mode raiden but that blasted box...gah...
    I like TWEWY but the person who came up with Joshua can go die in a fire or whatever, I hated him almost as badly as I feel Kojima wanted me to hate Raiden.

Conan-san on
  • Options
    METAzraeLMETAzraeL Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Conan-san wrote: »
    K7 Avenger wrote: »

You know, I'm going to read it up but I don't think you can deal with the level 9k prinny the way you'd normaly deal with enemy prinnies. But christ would it be awesome if you could.

I meen that's Top Spin kicking wily's ass awesome.

and I seriously need to get back to TWEWY, I got stuck on that stupid box puzzle and left it be. I meen I got rid of asshole mode raiden but that blasted box...gah...
    I like TWEWY but the person who came up with Joshua can go die in a fire or whatever, I hated him almost as badly as I feel Kojima wanted me to hate Raiden.
    you uh should keep going on the story and see what's up with Joshua

METAzraeL on

dream a little dream or you could live a little dream
    sleep forever if you wish to be a dreamer
  • Options
    edited October 2008

If you're enjoying the game don't listen to crap like the posters above. People claiming the story takes a nosedive or "is the worst in any RPG" they've played are full of shit. The story is consistent from start to finish and it's good. It's not great, and it could be better, but there are a lot of games with far worse stories. People parroting this shit about FFXII (and whatever other FF happens to be be on the cool kids shitlist this month) gets old quick; and leads me to conclude that people have some seriously rosy glasses when it comes to other JRPG's. Even when a game does have an excellent story there'll always be some douche claiming it was the "worst ever" and keeping others from checking out said game.

I won't clutter the thread with specifics, but the story is not consistent. There are too many unnecessary characters and not enough character development for it to be called a good story. Some of XII's problems are common in JRPGs, but that doesn't mean they aren't problems.

If you liked the story that's fine, there were elements to it that I enjoyed as well, but it was a poor story tacked on to a really interesting combat system.
    Also, the Elder Wyrm in the dragon didn't require grinding, it just required a good strategy.

Again, I'd say you spent more time exploring than I did, and so were higher level via random encounters. I do not lack strategy.

Exarch on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Well, whatever. I'm enjoying it so far, and though I needed to grind occasionally (Judge Ghis, Vassler), I'm enjoying fighting enough that I don't terribly mind it.

Also, can somebody tell me when they consider the story to take a nosedive? Just curious.

Antihippy on
  • Options
    MarioGMarioG Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I would like to take my recent decision of GTAIV and switch it for MGS4. that is all.

MarioG on
    Kay wrote:
    Mario, if Slenderman had a face, I would punch him in it.

Hey, I have a blog! (Actually being updated again!)

3DS: 0860-3240-2604
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    SkutSkut wrote: »

You know that attack has a radius of maybe 2 squares out from him yea? Oh and you can skip that fight anyway. :P

How is the Green Dragon optional, exactly?

minigunwielder on
  • Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    SkutSkut wrote: »

How is the Green Dragon optional, exactly?

Go through that forest with those rabbits and pumpkin guys and such.

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008

I won't clutter the thread with specifics, but the story is not consistent. There are too many unnecessary characters and not enough character development for it to be called a good story. Some of XII's problems are common in JRPGs, but that doesn't mean they aren't problems.

If you liked the story that's fine, there were elements to it that I enjoyed as well, but it was a poor story tacked on to a really interesting combat system.

Again, I'd say you spent more time exploring than I did, and so were higher level via random encounters. I do not lack strategy.

I'd argue it was a fucking fantastic story that didn't bother with a bunch of extraneous, pointless bullshit like most RPGs do, and managed to keep things fairly tight and simple. There's some twists, but largely it's a straightforward story, complete with believable and well-written dialogue.

Maybe it's just years of playing JRPGs with shit stories and dialogue that've made it hard to recognize awesome.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    mastriusmastrius Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

I'd argue it was a fucking fantastic story that didn't bother with a bunch of extraneous, pointless bullshit like most RPGs do, and managed to keep things fairly tight and simple. There's some twists, but largely it's a straightforward story, complete with believable and well-written dialogue.

Maybe it's just years of playing JRPGs with shit stories and dialogue that've made it hard to recognize awesome.

Yes, I agree, FFXIIs story was made of win. I remember saying the exact shit to someone else before about FFXII.

mastrius on
    "You're like a kitten! A kitten who doesn't speak Japanese." ~ Juliet Starling
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    at this point i would say Burnout Paradise. honorable mentions: Disgaea 3, Soul Calibur 4.

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    At the moment I'm thinking;

Warhammer Online
    Soul Calibur IV

Anticipated contenders;

Fallout 3
    Gears 2
    Left 4 Dead

Exarch on
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited October 2008

Warhammer Online
    Soul Calibur IV

Anticpated contenders;

Fallout 3
    Gears 2
    Left 4 Dead

ALL OF YOUR ANTICIPATED CONTENDERS HAVE NUMBERS IN THEM

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Conspiracy? I think so.

Exarch on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

Warhammer Online
    Soul Calibur IV

Anticpated contenders;

Fallout 3
    Gears 2
    Left 4 Dead

ALL OF YOUR ANTICIPATED CONTENDERS HAVE NUMBERS IN THEM

ONE IS NOT A SEQUEL

Peewi on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    No no, I put Oblivion 2 up there....

Exarch on
  • Options
    TiemlerTiemler Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Far Cry 2 is looking like a top contender.

Presumably, we're going by release date. But if there's one game I played the living hell out of in 2008, it was Call of Duty 4.

Tiemler on