As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PC lockdown...safe games and stuff for children

KatoKato Registered User regular
edited September 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
Here's the deal. My boys are only 3 and 7 right now, but they do love to get on the pc and play some games. Not that I have any issues with this, nor does my wife, but there are a few things I'd like to keep an eye on. They really love certain sites...things like "addictinggames.com" and stuff like that. Half of the games there are ok and I don't mind them playing, but the rest are pretty questionable.

Now don't get me wrong. They are far and away from sheltered and have seen their share of violence in video games and movies and stuff (300...RE4...few other things). The way my wife and I look at it, is that they are going to see this stuff anyways. We would rather introduce it to them on our own so we can answer questions and explain the right and wrong. In any case, that's not really what this thread is for...debating how one raises their kid. I have another question I seek help on.

I formatted the pc this weekend and we have XP Home. I created two accounts. One for my wife and I (administrator account) and then one for the boys (limited account). It's nice. They can't install programs and they can't get in to any of our stuff. But I would like to do something further. Also, is there any way to lock them out of the C: drive period? I can't seem to lock them out of it...they are locked out of the folders on our side, but I'd like to even limit their access to the hard drive.

First off, anyone know of a good way to block the internet...filter as much as possible, quite possibly EVERYTHING and then give us control of adding in a domain or just certain links to give them access too when they use FireFox? There are certain games I don't mind them playing on addictinggames or miniclip or breaktaker and stuff, but there are others I don't want them to have access too. Anyone have any good ideas or solutions on that issue? I really wouldn't object to having something lock everything and we have to manually input the sites or links that are allowed and have this only apply to their profile.

Secondly. Anyone have some good experience with some educational game sites and things like that? My wife and I did some searching today and found several sites that we liked and we bookmarked it for them in their profile of FireFox. In fact, they were playing on them this evening after school and were taking turns on the computer with games and just loving it. Puzzles and little math quizzes and even a little reading. But I wanted to know if you all have any experience with them.

They are getting old enough to really be clicking around and I have seen them get in to a few sites that they shouldn't be getting in too. Also, the younger one somehow installed some spyware recently. That I can take care of, but it's just a sign of what's to come the older they get.

Signature??
Kato on

• ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    One of the best ways I learned about computers growing up was that if I broke it, I had to fix it. Granted this is more or less with the dawn of the home computer, but an education to computers approach should also be added.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • KatoKato Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    One of the best ways I learned about computers growing up was that if I broke it, I had to fix it. Granted this is more or less with the dawn of the home computer, but an education to computers approach should also be added.

Yeah well..I agree. That's how I learned too, but the older one is only 7. I can't expect that much out of him. ehehehe

Kato on
    Signature??