Options

Star Trek and Superman: Two of the greatest franchies with horrible games

2»

• Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Deadfall wrote: »
    .....I remember playing an enjoying Superman beat 'em up side-scroller arcade game many, many years ago. But then, I'm a sucker for side-scrolling beat 'em ups.

The one where there were three players, instead of the conventional two, and the stages went from "beat-'em-up" to "side-scrolling shmup" over and over? Played that one too; however, I thought it blew, and I'm a sucker for coop beat-'em-ups.

Something about the basic enemies in the later stages being able to two-shot Superman made it just feel wrong, and definitely not like a superhero game should be.

Edit - Are we talking about the same game here? This one?
    http://www.klov.com/game_detail.php?game_id=9977

Because I swear I remember it having three controllers, three Supes - Red, White, and Blue (America, Fuck Yeah?) and a hefty dose of Suck.

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    darren66darren66 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Taramoor wrote: »
    I was going to say A Final Unity as far as Trek titles go.

I really enjoyed the away team aspect of the game and how different crew members provided different puzzle solutions. (When I first figured out that beaming the section of pipe off the woman wouldn't kill her I was amazed.)

AFU wasn't bad, but the ship-to-ship battles was a crap-shoot mostly because of awful controls. If you haven't played it, they attempted ship-to-ship battles in the style of SFC, but nothing made sense. And the ship-to-ship battles were forced to you by the plot. I stopped playing it because I couldn't get past one of the battles.

The ship-to-ship battles in 25th anniversary was actually fun because it was more arcade action.
    Taramoor wrote: »
    For Superman games there have been two that defied the curse. Death & Return of Superman on the SNES, the old Superman-Red/Superman-Blue arcade beat'em up.

I am surpised a few people here have said the SNES game was alright. I suggest you guys play it again. You beat up the 3 same bad-guys for the whole game over a simple graphic backdrop.

darren66 on
    Wii U sucks, but my NNID is da66en. Steam is route66. 3DS is 2938-8099-8160.
    Neo Geo Big Red owners club.
    2009 PAX Puzzle Quest Champion
    I have beat Rygar on the NES and many of you have not.
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I spent so much time on Starfleet Acadamy as a child.

Khavall on
  • Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Zilla360 wrote: »
    youtube...

What. The Fuck. Was That?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Trek:_Borg

Q, and to an extent, John de Lanice is one of my favorite characters from the shows, which makes that one of the most awesome things I have ever seen.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RohanRohan Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Star Trek has had loads of great games, but it's in dire need of a good new one! I'd settle for a Bridge Commander 2... the mods are fantastic now but the engine is beginning to show it's age. It just wasn't designed for the massive battles that the mods now allow us to play and it's very crash-prone because of it. Other than Bridge Commander, other favourites of mine are Starfleet Academy, A Final Unity, Rescue! (oh, how we modded that game...), that SNES game developed by Spectrum Holobyte (remember them?), and the 1987 or thereabouts C64 adventure game.

Never did like BOTP much, it was too frickin' hard in almost every way.

Rohan on
    ...and I thought of how all those people died, and what a good death that is. That nobody can blame you for it, because everyone else died along with you, and it is the fault of none, save those who did the killing.

Nothing's forgotten, nothing is ever forgotten
  • Options
    ArrathArrath Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Anyone ever play Klingon Honor Guard? It was a pretty fun shooter I thought, and had bot multiplayer so I could run around cutting people with my Bat'Leth!

Arrath on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Myself and one other person have commented on Superman.

That's so sad.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I would play a superman game if the only way you lost was by letting your immense strength get out of control, and you smashed the brains out of some random thug, causing you to go insane with grief.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Myself and one other person have commented on Superman.

That's so sad.

I see five people on this page alone. o_O

Kryptonite sappin' ur visual acuity?

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    ArasakiArasaki Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    major_tom wrote: »
    WoaD wrote: »
    -SPI- wrote: »
    Anyone else play Birth of the Federation? It was kind of like MOO2 with a star trek skin... actually it was exactly like MOO2 with a star trek skin, and it was glorious.

Also the first level of Elite Force, where you're in a holodeck borg simulation was incredible. It was an absolutely perfect portrayal of a borg encounter from the show.

Was wondering when someone would mention Birth of the Federation
    BotF never quite left my gaming playlist.

As for the first level of Elite Force...wished i had some kind of punching ability. Borg adapting is not cool if i can't phaser-whip them. (Not like it'll help)

I enjoyed it, but ultimately my games came down to how long I could avoid being invaded by the borg, who would tear through all of my ships like tissue paper. I could not figure out how to actually destroy one of their cubes.

Seriously, how were you supposed to fight those fuckers? They would just turn up and wreck my shit every time. Dammit.

That was a great game.

You swarmed cubes with 20-30 Sovereign ships and a bunch of Defiants if I recall correctly.

You'd also be lucky to leave with more than 5 ships.

Arasaki on
  • Options
    KatholicKatholic Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
  • Options
    EriosErios Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Arasaki wrote: »
    major_tom wrote: »
    WoaD wrote: »
    -SPI- wrote: »
    Anyone else play Birth of the Federation? It was kind of like MOO2 with a star trek skin... actually it was exactly like MOO2 with a star trek skin, and it was glorious.

Also the first level of Elite Force, where you're in a holodeck borg simulation was incredible. It was an absolutely perfect portrayal of a borg encounter from the show.

Was wondering when someone would mention Birth of the Federation
    BotF never quite left my gaming playlist.

As for the first level of Elite Force...wished i had some kind of punching ability. Borg adapting is not cool if i can't phaser-whip them. (Not like it'll help)

I enjoyed it, but ultimately my games came down to how long I could avoid being invaded by the borg, who would tear through all of my ships like tissue paper. I could not figure out how to actually destroy one of their cubes.

Seriously, how were you supposed to fight those fuckers? They would just turn up and wreck my shit every time. Dammit.

That was a great game.

You swarmed cubes with 20-30 Sovereign ships and a bunch of Defiants if I recall correctly.

You'd also be lucky to leave with more than 5 ships.

Well at least they were faithful to the (non-Voyager) source material. Though now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure they never killed cubes/spheres except for in the final episode where the ship was a flying deus ex machina.

Erios on
    Steam: erios23, Live: Coconut Flavor, Origin: erios2386.
  • Options
    AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    youtube...

I...I want to play this.

Accualt on
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Accualt wrote: »
    youtube...

I...I have to play this.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    MuridenMuriden Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    No one has mentioned Star Trek Armada, both 1 and 2.
    Now before you go off and flame the game. Yes it wasn't an outstanding game if you played it vanilla, but the game was so damned easy to mod. All you needed was Wordpad and a working knowledge of where the game files were.

Both myself and friend got a great deal of enjoyment out of the game by just manipulating ship stats and even making our own races (with no new artowork).

It gave us an unintentional sandbox mode.

Muriden on
    MrGulio.332 - Lover of fine Cheeses. Replays
    301787-1.png
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Accualt wrote: »
    youtube...

I...I have to play this.

It's a lot of fun, for an FMV game.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Already mentioned, I think, but here are the good ST games I've played.
    - Star Trek: Voyager Elite Force
    It had no right to be good. It was Voyager. And an FPS in a fairly non-shooty franchise. Despite these things it was great, and I am tempted to Goozex myself another copy as I lost my original.
    - Star Trek Conquest
    Bethesda combines Star Trek with RTS. Very fun if a bit simple due to being a console game
    - Star Trek Encounters
    Really fun if you like arcade ship combat. As a bonus the story mode runs through all of the major timeframes.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    a_m_a_ta_m_a_t Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I can't believe that no one has mentioned EGA Trek.

I lost many hours of my life to that old DOS game.

I think you can get it for free, so do it.

a_m_a_t on
  • Options
    igamenekkidigamenekkid Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Star Trek has had several great games:

Star Trek: The Next Generation - Future's Past/Echo's From The Past... (SNES/GEN)
    The same game got a release, with subtle differences, on both systems. Both were, for their time, epic. These were the first Star Trek games to give you free roam in the galaxy, control of each system, and away teams.

Star Trek: Voyager - Elite Force... (PC)
    Roam around key areas of the U.S.S. Voyager (and an expanded "Virtual Voyager" mode in the expansion pack), the entire cast reprising their roles (after a free update that added in Seven of Nine's voice), and probably one of the most Trek-like stories ever to grace a Star Trek game. The sequel however, killed it.

Star Trek: Aramda/Star Trek: Armada 2... (PC)
    Pure-fun. I'm not an RTS fan myself, but I've had co-op and multiplayer games with Armada I still miss.

Star Trek: Away Team... (PC)
    Fun single player, squad-based point-and-click that was a blast for AT LEAST one full play-through.

Star Trek: Legacy... (Xbox 360)
    Multiplayer aside (it sucks), this game was a blast to play through numerous times. It's also the only game for which I've spent the time replaying to get every achievement, and some were quite insane to get. I can't say anything for the PC port, but from what I hear it sucked. You can tell it was rushed last minute when it comes to story, I really would have loved to see it expanded to what it was to be, or sequeled.

Star Trek: Bridge Commander... (PC)
    If you play this from the outside perspective, it's a rather rich game. The bridge crew, and the annoying voice actors, are much more tolerable when you don't see them. Some missions in this game, especially on the higher difficulty levels, were challenging as hell and really recreated the DS9 era Dominion War feel.

Star Trek: Deep Space Nine - The Fallen... (PC)
    I'm so bummed this doesn't run on my newer rig anymore. The crew is all present, Worf included, and while many actors failed to reprise their roles, the replacements did a pretty good job. The story arc is very DS9, but the game is near impossible, especially towards the end. Great recreation of Trek and all their gadgets.

igamenekkid on
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I also used to really like the ST:TOS adventure game on the NES. I'm not sure what I would say if I played it today, though.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    igamenekkidigamenekkid Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I also used to really like the ST:TOS adventure game on the NES. I'm not sure what I would say if I played it today, though.

It doesn't hold up as well. Fuck having to find dilithium crystals for the warp drive.

igamenekkid on