Options

[CoD5] Zombies, Vampires, Flamethrowers oh my! Zombies...

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    My roommate picked this up and while the single player campaign is decent and lots of fun (I love Treyarch for including split-screen co-op) he says the multiplayer is fantastic. He likes it more than CoD4's multiplayer, and he loves that a lot.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    bombboybombboy Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    It is, it is. CoD4 was so refreshing because it wasn't another WWII shooter. This is so amazing because it's probably the best WWII shooter so far (a spot shared by CoD2 and MoH:AA). Taking a good engine and good concept has really enveloped this game into it's own success.

bombboy on
    XBL - BombBoyGT | PSN - BombBoyGT | Steam - BombBoy | BF4
  • Options
    MechanicalMechanical Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    My God. Anyone else get to the Black Cats mission yet? So. Fucking. Cool.

Mechanical on
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Anyone got to the zombie mode yet? is it good?

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    KimFidlerKimFidler Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I bought this and it's pretty awesome.

KimFidler on
  • Options
    OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Dogs instead of the helicopter is such an awesome idea.

OremLK on
    My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited November 2008
    As someone said, this game took a tired theme and infused it with a fantastic engine. The result is excellent. I am so pleased with this game.

Gamertag is Organichu

Organichu on
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited November 2008
    Yeah I blazed through it on Recruit just to see the story, but I'm shamed to admit I died several times (though usually in the exact same spots, probably 27-28 of my 30 deaths came from 2-3 particular checkpoints.) I can't imagine a run through on Veteran. Remember the Ferris Wheel defense in CoD4? Well there are at least 4 sections of comparable difficulty.

Organichu on
  • Options
    bombboybombboy Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Those who have the game, remember to sign up for 'Web Stats' tracking on the Call of Duty website. It's like Bungie.net tracking, just not as good honestly, but still something!

An example with my profile: http://www.callofduty.com/profile/2775191/stats

Click on "Expand" to flesh out weapon stats, match stats, etc.

bombboy on
    XBL - BombBoyGT | PSN - BombBoyGT | Steam - BombBoy | BF4
  • Options
    GPIA7RGPIA7R Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Got the game. Installed, updated drivers for video and sound, patched game, restarted.

Will not boot up. Shows the slash COD5 picture, then goes to a black screen. Can't even kill the task, have to reboot every fucking time.

Any ideas?

GPIA7R on
  • Options
    Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Why is this thread not moving? PA threads always go at a ridiculously fast speed. I fear this game is being lost in the sea of shiny new games....

Anyway, I haven't boughten this yet, and probably wont be able to play it till Christmas. Sad face. :(

So, its not another call of duty 3, thats definitely a good thing. But how does it differ from CoD4? I assume it still has perks and levels? How is the weapon variety?

Foolish Chaos on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I think World at War will definitely have a slow burn effect. The online multiplayer is as solid as it was in COD4.

KimFidler on
  • Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Also, stores around here don't even get it till tomorrow.

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    TiemlerTiemler Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    How is the weapon variety?

The weapon variety is good. You have SMGs with silencers, SMGs with aperture sights, SMGs with drum magazines...

I'm exaggerating a bit. Getting the first shot in is still the most important factor. But the MP40 is civilization in this game. I don't know what possessed Treyarch to make a 9mm SMG deal more damage than the Thompson, which is .45 caliber.

Tiemler on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Downfall was an epic chapter. Honestly, this may be THE best WWII game I've played. Storming the Reichstag was quite intense.

Mechanical on
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Why is this thread not moving? PA threads always go at a ridiculously fast speed. I fear this game is being lost in the sea of shiny new games....

It's not moving because, now, there are two threads for this topic, and it's the other thread that has been moving the past couple of days...

To be fair, though, this thread was created first..

slash000 on
  • Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I have played a good hour or so into the game so far. COD5 wants to be COD4 so badly I can taste it. The problem is they just didn't pull it off. It makes COD4 look even better. The weapons just don't feel right. Everything feels like it is made out of plastic. There is no real distinction between the sound of your gun and the environment. In most games the guns are at least louder than the voices and environment. It feels like it is trying to capture the cinematic feel that COD4 had, and just falls short. All the pieces are there, they are just of low quality and poorly assembled. Though I would say it fairs better than COD3, but does not live up to the image that COD2 and COD4 created.

That_Guy on
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Mechanical wrote: »
    Downfall was an epic chapter. Honestly, this may be THE best WWII game I've played. Storming the Reichstag was quite intense.

Wait, wait, hold up. The Reichstag? I thought this game was all Pacific Theater; are you telling me they pussed out and moved back to the goddamn Western Front again?

Zxerol on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Zxerol wrote: »

Wait, wait, hold up. The Reichstag? I thought this game was all Pacific Theater; are you telling me they pussed out and moved back to the goddamn Western Front again?

They do both I think.

KimFidler on
  • Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    That_Guy wrote: »
    I have played a good hour or so into the game so far. COD5 wants to be COD4 so badly I can taste it. The problem is they just didn't pull it off. It makes COD4 look even better. The weapons just don't feel right. Everything feels like it is made out of plastic. There is no real distinction between the sound of your gun and the environment. In most games the guns are at least louder than the voices and environment. It feels like it is trying to capture the cinematic feel that COD4 had, and just falls short. All the pieces are there, they are just of low quality and poorly assembled. Though I would say it fairs better than COD3, but does not live up to the image that COD2 and COD4 created.

Also, the invisible walls are fucking annoying and the voice work is fucking stupid. And was that a black guy in my squad? I swear it was. I understand a few black dudes in a modern themed game, but in the 40s blacks were not really on the front lines. I suppose making a point of historical accuracy here is just pointless, when you have a flame thrower with an infinite supply of petrol and tanks that blow up with one shot from a rocket, but can sit there exchanging shells with another tank all day.

That_Guy on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Dude, what? African-Americans were drafted just the same as everyone else. Unless you're talking about the Russian campaign.

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    TediakTediak Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    SimBen wrote: »
    Dude, what? African-Americans were drafted just the same as everyone else. Unless you're talking about the Russian campaign.

They were on the front lines as well. They were however in segregated platoons. So it's unrealistic that white and black soldiers would be in the same company.

Tediak on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Tediak wrote: »
    SimBen wrote: »

They were on the front lines as well. They were however in segregated platoons. So it's unrealistic that white and black soldiers would be in the same company.

Right... I was just coming back to the thread to try to ninja-edit a little "unless you meant they were in segregated platoons". Beat me to it. :P

It's not entirely unrealistic to imagine a scenario where a black soldier would be somehow separated from their platoon and picked up by another, though.

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Nitsuj82Nitsuj82 Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    The multi is pretty fun. Not as well done as CoD4, but to be honest, you'll probably only use the machine guns and SMGs. The rifles (bolt action excluded) are damn near useless against the SMGs, which have decent range, and with the aperture sights are super accurate.

Bottom line though, it's nice to have a whole new CoD game to grind through.

Nitsuj82 on
    Your sig is too tall. -Thanatos
    Nitsuj82.png
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Storming the Reichstag makes for an awesome level, though. To my knowledge, it hasn't been done in any previous WWII shooter, only in strategy titles like Close Combat III.

I was a little dismayed at first when I heard that World At War would revisit the European Theater, but they did so much with the setting that I honestly think it turns out much stronger than the Pacific chapters. It's a better take on the Eastern Front than IW managed with Call of Duty 2, IMO. Not just in terms of the gameplay advances made with the COD4 engine, I mean in terms of storytelling and the action set pieces as well.

Also, tonight I tried out Nacht der Untoten, the Nazi Zombies mode on solo, and it was cool. Now that I understand the basics, I'm going to try it out tomorrow in co-op.

Tiemler on
  • Options
    EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I think I would have prefered a tank (or tanks) that comes blazing over a hill top, laying waste to everything on a randomly selected route as it cleaves it's way off the map.

Edit: Or maybe a close air support fighter, which makes strafing at targets on the map.

This would have been cool, a tank or something that just moves around the map killing things until someone destroys it. Also i picked up the game, haven't tried multiplayer but the first two levels of single player seem good. It's on par with COD 4 gameplay wise, the storyline so far isn't really as good. It's cool seeing dismemberment in a COD game for the first time. I don't feel i've wasted my money at all which is nice, but i also enjoy WW2 games quite a bit. Would have been nice to see a real sequel instead of what feels like a step back but whatever, im enjoying it and its a nice thing to have along side COD 4 when you dont feel like playing in the modern settings. Definitely the best WW2 shooter i've ever played so far.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I think I would have prefered a tank (or tanks) that comes blazing over a hill top, laying waste to everything on a randomly selected route as it cleaves it's way off the map.

Edit: Or maybe a close air support fighter, which makes strafing at targets on the map.

This would have been cool, a tank or something that just moves around the map killing things until someone destroys it. Also i picked up the game, haven't tried multiplayer but the first two levels of single player seem good. It's on par with COD 4 gameplay wise, the storyline so far isn't really as good. It's cool seeing dismemberment in a COD game for the first time. I don't feel i've wasted my money at all which is nice, but i also enjoy WW2 games quite a bit. Would have been nice to see a real sequel instead of what feels like a step back but whatever, im enjoying it and its a nice thing to have along side COD 4 when you dont feel like playing in the modern settings. Definitely the best WW2 shooter i've ever played so far.

Some of the levels have tanks that you can actually control. Got me a 19-kill streak in one. They actually can tend to be a little OP.

KimFidler on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    KimFidler wrote: »

Some of the levels have tanks that you can actually control. Got me a 19-kill streak in one. They actually can tend to be a little OP.

Armor's only good in the hands of some folks. A lot of folks just amble around in them firing at random. Easy pickin'. Boom.

Mechanical on
  • Options
    aBlankaBlank Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    So has anyone tackled this on Veteran yet? I've only done the first 4-5 levels on regular and I've died a good amount of times. Something tell me this is going to suck on Veteran. In CoD4 I had flash's/stun's, noob tubes, and much better wall penetration to help a lot of it... most of that seems gone in here :[

The flamethrower is pretty freaking sweet though. I like the story telling/presentation too, not sure why it recieved so much hate from reviews. The american campaign (so far) seems weaker than the russians though... but meh, I'm only comparing beginning missions at this point.

Haven't played multi yet. Didn't think I would but considering Gear's matchmaking :(

aBlank on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    aBlank wrote: »
    So has anyone tackled this on Veteran yet? I've only done the first 4-5 levels on regular and I've died a good amount of times. Something tell me this is going to suck on Veteran. In CoD4 I had flash's/stun's, noob tubes, and much better wall penetration to help a lot of it... most of that seems gone in here :[

The flamethrower is pretty freaking sweet though. I like the story telling/presentation too, not sure why it recieved so much hate from reviews. The american campaign (so far) seems weaker than the russians though... but meh, I'm only comparing beginning missions at this point.

Haven't played multi yet. Didn't think I would but considering Gear's matchmaking :(

I love the review complaint of 'character development'. Also, Veteran is still for the die-hard masochists. I am NOT looking forward to Breaking Point's last scene. Multiplayer is pretty much the same as with 4, just with tanks. And flamethrowers.

Mechanical on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Online co-op is very well implemented. There are even co-op challenges similar to those in the versus modes. And you can gain experience in those challenges, which helps you to rank up in multiplayer.

Nacht der Untoten, the nazi zombie co-op mode, is awesome. A few words of advice, though...

The upstairs is impossible to defend. Make sure everybody on your team understands the importance of leaving that debris on the stairs where the hell it is. All that awaits you up there is death. The ground floor has a random box, so with a little luck, you have access to the best weapons, anyway.

The first person to at least 1950 points needs to go unlock the 'Help' room and try the random weapon box in the corner. You could buy a Thompson or shotgun, but those are always there if you need them. So you may as well try your luck first. And it takes too damned long for the box to give you a weapon if you wait until you're getting rushed, leaving your team shorthanded. So do it early.

After the 'Help' room is opened, everybody needs to take turns going in there and grabbing a decent weapon, while keeping enough presence in the main room to keep the zombies out. If you don't get this done quickly, somebody on your team will be stuck with a bolt-action or carbine and won't be able to drop the twitchers quickly enough. Eventually, it'll become impossible to defend both rooms. Fall back to the 'Help' room, which is the Alamo, and good luck. You'll need it.

If you really want to make it as far as possible, by any means necessary, then it's not a bad idea to let the mostly harmless first wave or two rip up the barriers, then kill them with headshots and repair the windows for a bunch of points.

Edit: That's one strategy. Somebody just told me there's a nifty pump shotgun on one of the upstairs levels, so some teams avoid opening the 'help' door altogether, just move the couch from the main room stairs and access the 'help' room by moving the second couch. That leaves the door between the two rooms still closed, but gives you access to all the weapons while still keeping the number of entrances to watch the same. I'll give this a try next time I'm with a good team.

Tiemler on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    On Live now. HTD? I need to rack up some kills.

Mechanical on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    So why is it so many COD fans seem to want to bash on this game without even trying it first? I don't get it, i look around on the interwebz and see a lot of COD WaW bashing for no reason other than its not COD 4 "but with more gunz!" i dont really get it. This happened with COD 3 too, everyone seemed to bash it but i thought it wasn't so bad, it wasn't spectacular or anything but it was far from being even close to as bad as people were trying to make it out to be.

Sure this game isn't as innovative as COD4 but its one of the best WWII shooters i've ever played regardless. It's a good game flat out, i dont understand why it is getting bashed for being similar to COD4, to me thats a good thing, i love COD4 and now i get to play it in a WWII setting, which i also like. What is bad about this?

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    So why is it so many COD fans seem to want to bash on this game without even trying it first? I don't get it, i look around on the interwebz and see a lot of COD WaW bashing for no reason other than its not COD 4 "but with more gunz!" i dont really get it. This happened with COD 3 too, everyone seemed to bash it but i thought it wasn't so bad, it wasn't spectacular or anything but it was far from being even close to as bad as people were trying to make it out to be.

Sure this game isn't as innovative as COD4 but its one of the best WWII shooters i've ever played regardless. It's a good game flat out, i dont understand why it is getting bashed for being similar to COD4, to me thats a good thing, i love COD4 and now i get to play it in a WWII setting, which i also like. What is bad about this?

Treyarch seems to have been in a damned-if-you-do-damned-if-you-don't scenario. I'm sure if they hadn't made it similar, people would have bitched about that. Maybe it's because I never played much of 2 and started with 3, coupled with the fact that my previous experience with WWII FPS games was the original MoH and Rising Sun for its entirety, but I'm not burned out on WWII. That said, I think people are just ragging on it because people are stupid. And paradoxically want more of the same.

Mechanical on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Well, i like it so i guess thats all that matter. Ironically a lot of those haters will probably end up playing it anyways once they hear from friends that its just as fun online as COD4 was (May not be drastically different but its just as good.). If anyone wants to play they can add me up btw.

Elimination on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Added. Done for today though, batteries recharging. I forgot to leave one set charged this time. Eheh.

Mechanical on
  • Options
    Nitsuj82Nitsuj82 Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

Treyarch seems to have been in a damned-if-you-do-damned-if-you-don't scenario. I'm sure if they hadn't made it similar, people would have bitched about that. Maybe it's because I never played much of 2 and started with 3, coupled with the fact that my previous experience with WWII FPS games was the original MoH and Rising Sun for its entirety, but I'm not burned out on WWII. That said, I think people are just ragging on it because people are stupid. And paradoxically want more of the same.

CoD3 was bad. No two ways about it. It was half baked. CoD1 changed my whole perspective on FPS games, and to this day is completely revolutionary to me in terms of its intensity, and it made me a big fan of the series. that being said, I would agree with you: Treyarch gets a bad rap due to Activision's greed and impatience. Oh, and WWII is played out. I think that a big reason CoD4 hit it off so well was that it was refreshing.

Nitsuj82 on
    Your sig is too tall. -Thanatos
    Nitsuj82.png
  • Options
    McClyMcCly Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I'm thinking of getting this, mostly because all of my friends who played COD4 got it. I'll probably keep 4, though.

McCly on
    kbellchewiesig.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Keep 4. These play incredibly similar, but judge these two by their own merits and you'll find them more enjoyable, I think.

Mechanical on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Keep 4. These play incredibly similar, but judge these two by their own merits and you'll find them more enjoyable, I think.

Also, the co-op and zombie modes lend WAW a lot of replay value even if you decide not to go prestige and continue playing versus.

And about the zombie mode, I've tried both of the strategies mentioned in my previous post, and they're actually about equally effective. But if you go up and over, you end up defending the stairs, which can only be done on the higher levels with a little luck from the random weapon box. Ray guns and MGs. And the players defending the stairs should switch to their weaker weapon when Insta-Kill is in effect, saving precious ammo.

Tiemler on