As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

MLB 2008 Playoffs Thread - The Amazin' Rays vs. Phillies in the Fall Classic!

1101112131416»

• Options
    DukiDuki Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Cool.

Duki on
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited October 2008
    Congrats Phils.

JUST IN TIME FOR SOUTH PARK!

I know! Impeccable timing.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I am just happy the weather wants obama to win :)

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Folken FanelFolken Fanel anime af When's KoFRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I'm so..... startled...

Folken Fanel on
    Twitter: Folken_fgc Steam: folken_ XBL: flashg03 PSN: folken_PA SFV: folken_
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Characters I hate:

Everybody @Folken Fanel plays as.
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited October 2008
    Elki may I call the chat?

Organichu on
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited October 2008
    Yes.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    Idx86Idx86 Long days and pleasant nights.Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I always like to see the first and last play of each season. Good for Brad Lidge to regain some glory after the meltdown in Houston vs. Pujols.

Idx86 on
    sig.gif

2008, 2012, 2014 D&D "Rare With No Sauce" League Fantasy Football Champion!
  • Options
    ZimmydoomZimmydoom Accept no substitutes Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Idx86 wrote: »
    I always like to see the first and last play of each season. Good for Brad Lidge to regain some glory after the meltdown in Houston vs. Pujols.

No sadder sight in baseball like a broken closer.

Except maybe the Pirates.

Zimmydoom on
    Better-than-birthday-sig!
    Gim wrote: »
    Zimmydoom, Zimmydoom
    Flew away in a balloon
    Had sex with polar bears
    While sitting in a reclining chair
    Now there are Zim-Bear hybrids
    Running around and clawing eyelids
    Watch out, a Zim-Bear is about to have sex with yooooooou!
  • Options
    LavaKnightLavaKnight Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Well, as crappy as a World Series this was (don't get me wrong, it had a lot of potential from the get go), the Phils certainly played like the World Series champions from the second game on. Maybe we can fix the playoff system to get more seven-gamers out of it.

And hopefully the Rays come back for more next year! I would love to see them take over the AL East for a few years at least.

LavaKnight on
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2008
    Man, Lidge seriously rebounded from his last year in Houston.

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    Folken FanelFolken Fanel anime af When's KoFRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Dynagrip wrote: »
    Man, Lidge seriously rebounded from his last year in Houston.

Yeah, I'd say being perfect counts as rebounding. Sweet Jesus he was good.

Folken Fanel on
    Twitter: Folken_fgc Steam: folken_ XBL: flashg03 PSN: folken_PA SFV: folken_
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Characters I hate:

Everybody @Folken Fanel plays as.
  • Options
    TheUnsane1TheUnsane1 PhiladelphiaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    It's freaking bedlam here! I live like 5 miles outside of downtown and there are people driving around honking and screaming still AMAZING!

TheUnsane1 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    TheUnsane1 wrote: »
    It's freaking bedlam here! I live like 5 miles outside of downtown and there are people driving around honking and screaming still AMAZING!

Good luck trying to sleep. Haha.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • Options
    TheUnsane1TheUnsane1 PhiladelphiaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    redfield85 wrote: »
    TheUnsane1 wrote: »

Good luck trying to sleep. Haha.

Yea about that... I lived across the street from freight train tracks from like 7-15yrs old I sleep thru anything. They are still going strong and I can't imagine it's gonna calm down til like 3-4am.

TheUnsane1 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Phils win! Phils win!

I still can't believe it, it's just too awesome.

I'm glad Fox played the Harry Kalas call right after the game ended, that's the one I really wanted to hear.

Peen on
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2008
    Another year where the Championship Series has been more exciting than the World Series. Since 2000, only 3 of the 8 WS have gone to 6 or 7 games. The other have 5 have all been sweeps or near sweeps. It's actually kind of a downer when you consider how exciting the previous rounds have been.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I couldn't even watch the WS this year. The ALCS completely burned me out.

Zimmydoom on
    Zimmydoom, Zimmydoom
    Flew away in a balloon
    Had sex with polar bears
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Hahaha. Anyone just hear Utley? That was great.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
  • Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Zimmydoom wrote: »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ratings_for_Major_League_Baseball_on_FOX_telecasts#World_Series_ratings
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Series_television_ratings

You and everyone else. Worst ratings on those charts. By far.

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    So, apparently my brother-in-law got about 7 tshirts, a jacket, a sweatshit, a baseball, a program, and other little things today.

Me? I got a tshirt.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    tsmvengy wrote: »
    Zimmydoom wrote: »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ratings_for_Major_League_Baseball_on_FOX_telecasts#World_Series_ratings
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Series_television_ratings

You and everyone else. Worst ratings on those charts. By far.

That's too bad. Both Philly and TB were deserving teams. I think baseball fans are probably the worst of any major American team sport when it comes to watching teams that are not "yours." Maybe the NBA is worse, but it's hard to tell when the Spurs and Pistons keep making the Finals.

I really think they need to shorten the season back to 154 games, but they'll never do it.

Zimmydoom on
    Zimmydoom, Zimmydoom
    Flew away in a balloon
    Had sex with polar bears
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    How do baseball jerseys run? Like, with a regular tshirt I am an XXL, and with hockey jerseys I am also an XXL (and they are usually a little big, which is nice and oldschool). I figure with a baseball jersey I will also want an XXL. Right?

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
  • Options
    AdrenalineAdrenaline Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    There should be a sizing chart on the site you're looking to buy a jersey.

Also, don't buy Werth, please? Get Hamels or Rollins or something. Werth doesn't warrant a jersey purchase, in my opinion.

Adrenaline on
    I will show you fear in a handful of dust
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I will probably get Hamels if I do get one.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
  • Options
    thanimationsthanimations Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    redfield85 wrote: »
    How do baseball jerseys run? Like, with a regular tshirt I am an XXL, and with hockey jerseys I am also an XXL (and they are usually a little big, which is nice and oldschool). I figure with a baseball jersey I will also want an XXL. Right?

The sizing chart is pretty good but if you get an authentic, keep in mind that they run a little long. That probably won't change any of the other dimensions but don't be alarmed if it's longer than what you'd think.

thanimations on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    So, Matt Holliday is an Athletic now. Any Rockies fans around?

I like it, but only if they re-sign him right away. Both Street and Smith were expendable, but I think Carlos Gonzalez is too much to give up for a year rental, and 2009 is not the year the A's should be going for broke.

If they re-sign him and secure a decent bat which they've lacked for years, awesome, if not, ouch.

LavaKnight on
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Going from Coors to Athleticville is probably not going to be kind to him. Huge difference in his home/away hitting. He slugs 100 points lower when he isn't a mile high. That's kinda scary.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    He's still pretty good, though. I've seen analysis showing that even if he were playing in a neutral park, he'd still be around .300 with 30 HR or so. Granted, the coliseum isn't exactly a neutral park, but I wouldn't expect a huge decline.

And for the price, that's pretty good. I'm definitely worried about him being a 1 year rental, though. That totally changes the deal in my eyes.

LavaKnight on
  • Options
    PlushyCthulhuPlushyCthulhu Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    LavaKnight wrote: »
    He's still pretty good, though. I've seen analysis showing that even if he were playing in a neutral park, he'd still be around .300 with 30 HR or so. Granted, the coliseum isn't exactly a neutral park, but I wouldn't expect a huge decline.

And for the price, that's pretty good. I'm definitely worried about him being a 1 year rental, though. That totally changes the deal in my eyes.

I'm not sold on this being a brilliant deal for Beane yet, but I think you are underestimating the value of a one year rental - for 2009 Holliday will perform well and put butts in the seats, at the end of next year he will be a Type-A free agent - the A's offer Holliday arbitration, he refuses and goes on the free market, some team like the Yankees pays him $100 mil/6 years and the A's pick up two first round draft picks. If the A's think two new first round picks and one year of Holliday have more value than Carlos Gonzalez and whatever they would have gotten from Street, then it is a win for them. Alternatively, Beane will try to flip Holliday at the trade deadline to a contender.

I don't really see him as a centerpiece for the 2012 team, but I suppose if they can resign him at a reasonable rate that is the other option.

PlushyCthulhu on
    Steam/LoL: plushycthulhu
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    LavaKnight wrote: »

I'm not sold on this being a brilliant deal for Beane yet, but I think you are underestimating the value of a one year rental - for 2009 Holliday will perform well and put butts in the seats, at the end of next year he will be a Type-A free agent - the A's offer Holliday arbitration, he refuses and goes on the free market, some team like the Yankees pays him $100 mil/6 years and the A's pick up two first round draft picks. If the A's think two new first round picks and one year of Holliday have more value than Carlos Gonzalez and whatever they would have gotten from Street, then it is a win for them. Alternatively, Beane will try to flip Holliday at the trade deadline to a contender.

I don't really see him as a centerpiece for the 2012 team, but I suppose if they can resign him at a reasonable rate that is the other option.

That's the crux of it, I guess. Gonzalez is still very young, and showed pretty brilliant defensive prowess defensively, and impatience offensively. In a year or two, he could become Matt Holliday if he reaches his ceiling, and at a position (CF) which was a liability for the A's.

Two draft picks are nice, but I would argue that Gonzalez was more of an asset to a team that is building for a couple years down the road.

I do agree that it will be exciting from a fan's perspective, however, especially if it's coupled with another offensive acquisition.

LavaKnight on
  • Options
    AdrenalineAdrenaline Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Like PC said, the A's can flip Holliday at the deadline for more probably than what they gave up, and even if they don't, they get two picks for him when he walks. Plus, they can probably win that division with his bat in the lineup. Not a bad defender, either.

I learned awhile ago not to question Beane.

Adrenaline on
    I will show you fear in a handful of dust
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Remember that Beane made the trade for Gonzalez. Maybe they think he has too many holes in his swing right now.

But yeah, it does give the A's a ton of options now, all decent, and didn't really cost that much, which is nice. I actually wouldn't mind him being flipped for prospects, seeing him walk for the two free agents, or signing him long term to a reasonable (ha Boras!) contract.

So I guess it is pretty much a win all around, unless Gonzalez becomes a 900 OPS, 40 HR, 30 SB monster.

LavaKnight on