As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

GEARS OF WAR 2

• The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Adrian Carmine died in Gears 1. This is Ben Carmine his brother.

Which means.....

Gears 3 : Bizarro Locust is going to feature a Carmine with a first name beginning with C.

Fucking carmine carmine.

The_Scarab on
  • LookFreeGrenadeLookFreeGrenade Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Google-Fu says he was Anthony, but I don't really care about names because I fucking love playing as carmine

LookFreeGrenade on
    ormskm.jpg20i89qa.jpg73f2j6.jpg
    edited October 2008
    Adrian, anthony. whatever. stupid fucker should be called 'keepyourfuckingheaddown Carmine'

The_Scarab on
  • SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    http://uk.media.xbox360.ign.com/media/142/14232680/vids_1.html?RSSwhen2008-10-06_113000&RSSid=916509

Don't watch if you are in any kind of media blackout.

Do watch if you want to see new enemies and new vehicles.

(October 6th Video Preview)

I feel much more manlier and believe I have more chest hair after watching that.

SkutSkut on
  • Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Jaw just hit floor. Then went through floor.

Mortal Sky on
  • NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    You can fire the mulcher from the hip. Eight different flavours of badass. Though it is like the TF2 mini gun. takes a second to spin up and you move and turn a lot slower. but oh lord.

Also: holeeeee shiite

spoilers contained within
    1223302271.jpg

HOW COULD THIS BE GREATER

also i think cole's bicep is visible from space at certain angles

Nuzak on
  • fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

Which means.....

Gears 3 : Bizarro Locust is going to feature a Carmine with a first name beginning with C.

Fucking carmine carmine.

Carmen Carmine?

Girly Gears with guns.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • AiranAiran Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    You can fire the mulcher from the hip. Eight different flavours of badass. Though it is like the TF2 mini gun. takes a second to spin up and you move and turn a lot slower. but oh lord.

Also: holeeeee shiite

spoilers contained within
    1223302271.jpg

"WOOH YEAH, THAT'S MY KINDA SHIT!"

So fucking pumped for this game, but so expensive D:

Airan on
    paDudSig.jpg
    edited October 2008

Which means.....

Fucking carmine carmine.

Carmen Carmine?

Girly Gears with guns.

they're the queers of war you imbecile

women have been outlawed on account of their pitifully thin necks

Nuzak on
    edited October 2008
    Nuzak wrote: »

Which means.....

Fucking carmine carmine.

Carmen Carmine?

Girly Gears with guns.

they're the queers of war you imbecile

women have been outlawed on account of their pitifully thin necks

Thin necks maybe, but I hear Cole's sister has thighs like oak barrels.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    This game + co-op with silkynumnuts = BOOOOM! THAT'S MY KINDA SHIT!

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Wait a second. This game has Panzer Dragoon sections? Sold.

RainbowDespair on
    edited October 2008
    Cole is the reason there is no 16 player multiplayer. His biceps are just so huge they couldn't get any more polys on screen.

The_Scarab on
    edited October 2008
    Wait a second. This game has Panzer Dragoon sections? Sold.

Yeah that part made me pretty damned excited too.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Queers of War should be a clan name or something.

SkutSkut on
    edited October 2008
    Cole is the reason there is no 16 player multiplayer. His biceps are just so huge they couldn't get any more polys on screen.

in 2v2v2v2v2 mode it's 2 coles

2 COLES

versus everyone else who can't crush a brick in the crook of their elbow by flexing

Nuzak on
  • the cheatthe cheat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2008
    this is one of those games that has to come out for me to get pumped for

it's funny because i know i'll buy it and love it, but i am just not 'excited' for this game

you know it will be awesome but, you are not excited for it.

man, i cannot imagine what type of fantastic grandeur that is required to coax your anticipation out.

the cheat on
    tKfL2Yd.png?1
  • bakatrinhbakatrinh Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    The one thing I love about the first game was the nearly nonexistent load time it had in the campaign. I mean it had the short initial load time of about 15 seconds. But after that, cutscenes and level changes were almost instant. I hope they can do the same with Gears 2, it just feels so streamlined and non intrusive when they pull off something like that. I also hope it's gonna be 1080p native instead of 1080i but the 360 will probably blow up if the game pushes the console any further

bakatrinh on
    bakatrinh.png
  • Jehuty88Jehuty88 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I think this game won't disappoint at all. You haven't seen much of the story yet so they got some surprises up I think. The multiplayer will be as good as ever. I'm Hyped!

Jehuty88 on
    Visit the sidescroller beat em up extravaganza thread in which all your classic beat em ups can be LPed. We are doing Turtles in Time right now!

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=71649
  • WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    bakatrinh wrote: »
    The one thing I love about the first game was the nearly nonexistent load time it had in the campaign. I mean it had the short initial load time of about 15 seconds. But after that, cutscenes and level changes were almost instant. I hope they can do the same with Gears 2, it just feels so streamlined and non intrusive when they pull off something like that. I also hope it's gonna be 1080p native instead of 1080i but the 360 will probably blow up if the game pushes the console any further

Yeah it was well designed to mask loading, except for the slow-walk sections.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    the cheat wrote: »
    this is one of those games that has to come out for me to get pumped for

it's funny because i know i'll buy it and love it, but i am just not 'excited' for this game

you know it will be awesome but, you are not excited for it.

I'm about the same. I am not excited about the game at all, but it's a day one purchase.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Willeth wrote: »

I call those the "tense, nervous headache" sections.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    darleysam wrote: »

Hopefully they didn't do anything retarded like that HUMONGUS wait time every fucking time you died at the mining station standoff.

*get hit with a torque bow shot*

"OH SHIIII-" *splode*

Cole: Look at all that JUICE!

Fuck you Cole. It's not funny anymore.

Undead Scottsman on
  • WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

Hopefully they didn't do anything retarded like that HUMONGUS wait time every fucking time you died at the mining station standoff.

"OH SHIIII-" *splode*

I remember dying so much on that on Insane on the first run. I had to get a friend in to help me out.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I actually found it easy on insane but good lord it drove me stupid the first time (On hardcore). I think the reason I had no issue the second time was I had the sniper rifle (I didn't the first time) and I had developed far superior tactics for it.

Torque bows can die in a fire though.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Aegeri wrote: »
    I actually found it easy on insane but good lord it drove me stupid the first time (On hardcore). I think the reason I had no issue the second time was I had the sniper rifle (I didn't the first time) and I had developed far superior tactics for it.

Torque bows can die in a fire though.

Torque bows are pretty much insta-win against anything smaller than a Seeder. Although then again, that might be because I never tried Gears with a gamepad. I guess I could sort of understand problems aiming the thing otherwise.

And insane was just irritating for me unless I was playing co-op. The Dom AI usually wasn't much of a help in that setting.

subedii on
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008

"OH SHIIII-" *splode*

I remember dying so much on that on Insane on the first run. I had to get a friend in to help me out.

Playing it through on my own first time, I too have heard about 'all that juice' many a time.
    Thanks Cole.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
    edited October 2008

"OH SHIIII-" *splode*

Playing it through on my own first time, I too have heard about 'all that juice' many a time.
    Thanks Cole.

That's actually the bit where I appreciated the torque bow the most. The enemy takes ages to fire off a shot with the big glow on the front being a huge giveaway, by which time you're in cover and they can't hold the shot forever so it pings off harmlessly somewhere. Meanwhile you bring yours out and take careful aim whilst they're sat there reloading, or just starting to aim again. Fire, take cover, count to three, next target.

That bit was really fun for me once I worked out how to properly use the torque bow. Despite the fact that it rarely hits you, the fact that it's a one hit kill helps to ramp up the tension of that encounter as well.

subedii on
    edited October 2008
    When did Gears multiplayer become a constant stream of bullshit tactics and retarded lag luck of the draws? Because I dont remember it being this stupid.

The_Scarab on
    edited October 2008
    When did Gears multiplayer become a constant stream of bullshit tactics and retarded lag luck of the draws? Because I dont remember it being this stupid.

You mean it wasn't at one point? Dude, it was like that even on the PC version, and that's acknowledged to be a more lag free community with a slightly older playerbase. :lol:

Seriously, it's been like that for a long time, if not the very beginning. The tactics is one of the things they're fixing in the new game though, especially with things like the added "stopping power" for the Lancer.

As for the community itself, well that can't ever be helped really.

subedii on
    edited October 2008
    Y'know, I haven't seen the Berserker in any of the vids, even in the Horde introduction vid over at Gametrailers. I'm suddenly expecting an encounter with 2 Berserkers sometime in the game D:

Airan on
    paDudSig.jpg
  • Adhesive to plasticAdhesive to plastic Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Airan wrote: »
    Y'know, I haven't seen the Berserker in any of the vids, even in the Horde introduction vid over at Gametrailers. I'm suddenly expecting an encounter with 2 Berserkers sometime in the game D:

I'm not sure this counts as a spoiler, but I'll be cautious.
    There are no Berserkers in the game

Also I hope there's no dumb vehicle sections like in the first game. That part was just a pain in the ass, thank god it's short.

Adhesive to plastic on
    edited October 2008

Also I hope there's no dumb vehicle sections like in the first game. That part was just a pain in the ass, thank god it's short.

Well I'm guessing that
    The Brumak and the Reever

count as vehicles don't they? Question is whether they're any better implemented than the original version.

Also, I probably shouldn't be discussing this game so much since I'm not likely to be getting it, well, ever. :lol:

subedii on
    edited October 2008

Berserker:
    What really? Was there a reason behind that? Too scary? I quite enjoyed the first encounter (because it was scary having a rampaging beast coming at you), but the next 2 weren't as fun, probably because of the environments.

Airan on
    paDudSig.jpg
  • Adhesive to plasticAdhesive to plastic Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

Berserker:
    What really? Was there a reason behind that? Too scary? I quite enjoyed the first encounter (because it was scary having a rampaging beast coming at you), but the next 2 weren't as fun, probably because of the environments.
    They wanted to make sure the spotlight is on all the new enemies. At least that's what they're saying.

Adhesive to plastic on
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

Because in online multiplayer...if you're not winning, you're losing. Seriously, there are too many hyper-competitive Type A personality types online.

Dragkonias on
    edited October 2008
    Dragkonias wrote: »

Because in online multiplayer...if you're not winning, you're losing. Seriously, there are too many hyper-competitive Type A personality types online.

No but I mean I just played the first Gears MP I've played in like a year and 6 games in a row it was a draw, and all six games I felt no connection between skill and result. I mean one game ended with two players stickying each other with grenades and then it is a crapshoot as to which team won.

At least with COD4 or Halo when I lose I dont feel cheated, I recognise the other player had superior tactics and skill. In Gears it was like 'why am I playing this. Whoever randomly spawns that 6ft closer to the sniper rifle will win. Kind of annoying. SDont get me started on chainsawing people (though they clearly fixed this in Gears 2) or anything to do with the hamer of dawn (able to call it down 20ft away from me and kill me in one hit. yeah...)

The_Scarab on
    edited October 2008
    Dragkonias wrote: »

No but I mean I just played the first Gears MP I've played in like a year and 6 games in a row it was a draw, and all six games I felt no connection between skill and result. I mean one game ended with two players stickying each other with grenades and then it is a crapshoot as to which team won.

At least with COD4 or Halo when I lose I dont feel cheated, I recognise the other player had superior tactics and skill. In Gears it was like 'why am I playing this. Whoever randomly spawns that 6ft closer to the sniper rifle will win. Kind of annoying. SDont get me started on chainsawing people (though they clearly fixed this in Gears 2) or anything to do with the hamer of dawn (able to call it down 20ft away from me and kill me in one hit. yeah...)

I'm afraid Gears multiplayer was always that broken. If you didn't notice it before, odds are it's because you stopped playing at an early enough stage where people hadn't really noticed it yet.

subedii on
    edited October 2008
    It's a shame because I really like the shooting mechanics. But the balance is so horribly off.

I'll stick to campaign co-op which, without a doubt, is superb. Even when you have no mic and the other guy is French you still are able to work as a team the levels are designed so well.

The_Scarab on
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Oh, well like someone said earlier Gears has always been like that.

You won't believe how many times someone got a headshot off me with a lucky shotgun blast that shattered just in the right place or lagged out long enough. But I managed it a couple of times myself so it wasn't so bad. Lucky sniper shots were annoying though.

And that's funny...I always thought the Hammer of Dawn was useless in Multiplayer. But I haven't played Gears 1 since my 360 ate my last disc about a year ago.

Dragkonias on
This discussion has been closed.