As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Did someone just try to steal my car?

noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
edited October 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
Okay, I just recently moved to an apartment complex in a somewhat shady area of the city. I hadn't had some problems so far, but today something happened that is kinda freaking me out.

At around 7 in the morning I heard my car alarm going off. I tend to get lucky are and able to park my car right under my roof, so I was able to hear it right away. I was also able to peak out of my window to make sure it was indeed my car ringing. So I get my keys and turn off the alarm, in the process pressing the button to unlock my doors.

At around nine in the morning or so, my gf borrows my car to do some quick grocery shopping. When she comes back, she tells me that the driver side door to my car was opened. Not unlocked, but actually opened.

So that kinda freaks me out. My car is a Nissan Sentra 07, so I guess it could be considered a nice car. It has keyless entry though, and there's no sign of it being forced in..so I'm not sure what to think. Could I have left the door open when I came home yesterday? Would that still have activate my alarm?

I mean, Seven Am strikes me as a sort of odd time for anyone to try to break into my car. The sun is fully out, people are leaving to work, and there's groundskeepers and other people right around that time.

Part of me thinks it was nothing, but another part of me is really getting paranoid.

noir_blood on

• OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2008
    You unlocked your doors while the alarm was going off, and are surprised you found the car's door open? Maybe I'm not reading this right.

Orikaeshigitae on
  • noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    No yeah, you're reading it right, that's what I'm really hoping happened. The door was physically open, not like all the way, just a crack, which is the thing I find a bit odd.

noir_blood on
  • rfaliasrfalias Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Even if someone did break in (More like... walk in I guess) if nothing is missing don't worry about it.
    Just lock up and move on. Most of them perps just find open cars and rummage for anything good and move about.

rfalias on
  • Richard_DastardlyRichard_Dastardly Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Just check around for any crack pipes, pills, shell casings, meth crumbs, etc. If there was someone going through your junk, he or she might have dropped something. And you probably wouldn't enjoy having to explain to a cop why you have a crack pipe under your seat.

Richard_Dastardly on
  • edited October 2008
    You still have your car. Shit happens in the city especially if doors are unlocked. Sometimes people check to see if doors are unlocked and quick grab anything valuable. Lock your doors and forget about it.

BlackbeardonGuitar on
    n13908669_48529144_9322.jpg
  • SarcastroSarcastro Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    There are some parts of the city you dont even lock your doors in, because it just means a broken window. Essentialy one gets the Club and leaves it clean so theres nothing of interest.

My anti-theft system is having a tapedeck. So far, so good.

Sarcastro on
  • vonPoonBurGervonPoonBurGer Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    noir_blood wrote: »
    The door was physically open, not like all the way, just a crack, which is the thing I find a bit odd.
    Fully closing a car door makes an appreciable amount of noise. If someone's stealing cars, or stealing stuff left inside cars, making a lot of noise is counter to their interests. My guess is you inadvertently unlocked the car for someone, they opened the door, thought "oh shit the owner is probably gonna come out of their house any minute", closed the doorly quietly and partially, and took off.

vonPoonBurGer on
    Xbox Live:vonPoon | PSN: vonPoon | Steam: vonPoonBurGer