As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Discussing art and sharing my work

BreyKarewBreyKarew Registered User new member
edited October 2008 in Artist's Corner
I can has a crit?

The_Werg_by_Un_Touchable.jpg

Attempt at doing it in Penny Arcade style. I named it "The Werg"

WIP3_by_Un_Touchable.jpg

This is what I'd like more crit on...Its a work in progress, and my first time doing something this...er...detailed in Photoshop. Normal stuff in photoshop takes about a day...I've had this going for three days, and I'm still not done. ...I think my broken wrist might have something to do with it.

Crit would be awesome. x]

BreyKarew on

• ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Mandible is fucking huge. He looks like he could eat a fistful of rocks. Face in general is a little messed up.

Hair is too strawlike--too much fussing with individual strands and not enough attention paid to making the overall head of hair looking natural.

The fingers of the hand on the wall are too straight and pencil-like. The thumb is most noticeably way too skinny and long.

If you used the smudge tool, don't use the smudge tool (I'm looking at you, shirt folds)

His clothing in general is not convincingly drawn as fabric and as such is clinging unnaturally tightly to his body. More bunches of fabric at joints, especially bending joints or areas where the body twists. Look at reference and study how cloth works.

The pattern on the breast of his jacket is defying perspective on the left side, which makes no sense unless you meant for the pattern to be asymmetrical.

There is no lighting model to speak of. The few hints of shadow that are on the body are inconsistent and don't help at all really. As a result, the character looks flat flat flat.

There is a jarring separation of the character from his environment due to the hazy, undefined background being painted in a completely different style from the character. He doesn't look like he belongs where you put him, which is to say it looks like a paper cutout stuck on top of another painting. The lack of a lighting model also feeds into this problem since the environment and character are not reacting with each other in any way in terms of lighting.

The overall composition is very boring. You've divided the canvas neatly into quadrants with the wall and the figure. On the right side of the figure, the contour runs nearly parallel with the border of the image, which is again very boring.

Welcome to the AC!

Scosglen on
  • BreyKarewBreyKarew Registered User new member
    edited October 2008
    Well thanks for the welcome and of course the crit, that's certainly what I was looking for...you're totally right. I've been having issues with cloth and lighting ever since I started drawing portraits. The background's the first ever scenery I've ever digitally painted...and I didn't really realize it was hazy till you mentioned it...defining the shapes and where the light hits those shapes should be next on my "to-do" list... I used a couple different references for the blue shirt he's wearing. *hangs head in shame* I did use the smudge tool.

Thank ya kindly for the tips, though. I'll check out more references for the cloth, and see what I can do for lighting and the haze. Though, boring wasn't really what I'd want in my pictures...but something of a lazy feel (in the picture, not from me...eesh.) would be kinda what I thought. *shrug* Eh.

Either way, thanks Scosglen

BreyKarew on
  • MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Are you using your scanned lines as part of the image? If so stop, I used to do that and it never looks good, ever. Use them on a seperate layer for reference, but never in the image itself.

Mustang on
  • Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited October 2008
    Mustang wrote: »
    Are you using your scanned lines as part of the image? If so stop, I used to do that and it never looks good, ever. Use them on a seperate layer for reference, but never in the image itself.

What in God's name are you blathering about.

Angel_of_Bacon on
    edited October 2008

Nah, I don't. I don't even have a scanner. I drew the whole thing in ps, but I did sketch the guy first and drew over it with a new layer.

BreyKarew on
  • winter_combat_knightwinter_combat_knight Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    The picture looks like you're using many different styles. I like what you're doing with the background, but some really defined hard contrasts would help, i think. The dudes body has many problems, but even if you just chopped about a third (or even half) of it out it would look so much better. He's waaaay to long.

Mustang - What about people who digitally colour their Ink drawings :)

EDIT:

BTW, looked at your DA profile

If you just fixed up his left hand i think this one would be quite good...
    Constant_Reminder_by_Un_Touchable.jpg

winter_combat_knight on
  • IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited October 2008

This is terrible advice. Your hand on paper will almost always be a little more able to make lines, and I say that as some one who has had a tablet for years now. I find its better to clean your original lines than it is to retrace them completely, especially if you are trying to stay away from your art looking too digital.

Iruka on
    edited October 2008
    What am I doing wrong then? I've never been able to get a decent line from a scan, they've always come out absolutely fucking terrible and cleaning them up and isolating them would take days.
    EDIT: Then again, I've never had the opportunity to use anything but a budget scanner.....I don't know I've tried tute's on the subject but I've just given up on it as a shit idea. Maybe I should revisit the subject.

Mustang on
  • IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited October 2008
    If you are using really messy lines, or a really messy sketch, then its probably not going to work out very well. If you are doing something that doesn't require clean lines, the texture will actually help keep the sketches feel in there. Kinda like in that gif of the griffin I made, its not to hard to imagine a less painted image where the pencil lines are included. I wish I had a better example... here, the gears in the background are pencil lines. It really depends on what you are doing.

Iruka on
    edited October 2008
    Thanks Iruka, sorry Brey didn't mean to hijack your thread.

Mustang on
    edited October 2008
    The picture looks like you're using many different styles. I like what you're doing with the background, but some really defined hard contrasts would help, i think. The dudes body has many problems, but even if you just chopped about a third (or even half) of it out it would look so much better. He's waaaay to long.

BTW, looked at your DA profile

If you just fixed up his left hand i think this one would be quite good...
    Constant_Reminder_by_Un_Touchable.jpg

Long. Got it...lol...yes actually now that I look at it he is quite long.

Edit: oh and thanks for the tip on the other one. :]
    Mustang wrote:
    sorry Brey didn't mean to hijack your thread.

Hey no problem...it's cool that there's forums to learn art tips from.

BreyKarew on