As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The new guy wants brutal criticism. (NSFdialup)

13»

• NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    LesterDM wrote: »
    They don't like it when I draw at work... especially when it's not related to the requests from HR and Marketing.

I dug up all my old sketchbooks and about 20 pencils of varying size and hardness. Draw from life you say... Draw what you see you say...

I'm all over it.

Are the books you can get on 'drawing dynamic anatomy' useful at all?

By Hogarth? I found them somewhat useful, but more in the sense of getting the primitive and "overall" shapes of things down...his style is a bit exaggerated, which can help you when you're learning the muscle structure, but I would definitely pair his books with a more scientifically-accurate anatomy book as well...I've got two that I particularly enjoy:

Anatomy for the Artist
    Jenö Barcsay
    (scientific kind of anatomy book)

Anatomy for the Artist
    Sarah Simblet
    (this one has pictures, AND overlaying sheets with the muscles drawn on, very very useful)

NightDragon on
  • mattharvestmattharvest Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I just wanted to chime in briefly:

1) Tracing is NOT art. This isn't a criticism of inkers (see Mallrats, I guess) but rather people like the original poster who are suggesting that just tracing over a photo is art.
    2) Tracing is NOT photo-referencing. Photo-referencing is when you LOOK at a photo, and use that to separately generate an image. If you ever, ever place your drawing directly on top of the source image in order to trace lines, then you're TRACING. Please don't get them confused.
    3) Drawing from life is vital. I don't believe you can get beyond basic illustration without it.

mattharvest on